BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C Allocation Question

11-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

M2C Allocation Question

New member here and I was planning to ask questions about setting up an M2C for track days and tips for negotiating the purchase of a car. But after a month of contacting a few regional dealers it sounds like most allocations are reserved and the probability of actually getting (preferably order) an M2C is very near zero. Does that seem correct?

I'm not sure because the salespersons are really pushing the 2018's they have on the lots. The small local dealership in Bend, OR simply said they won't get an allocation so no need to try for a 2019 and a large regional dealer that sells a lot of M cars said they have a list of people waiting about twice as long as their confirmed allocations. At this point I'm not sure if I should continue my search or give up on an M2C.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
billspreston
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87

There should be allocations available, but my frame of reference is SoCal, which I'm guessing sees more allocations than Oregon. When I recently ordered I found 10+ allocations and/or un-sold in-transit vehicles just through email and ordered a car to my specs without any fuss.

How many dealers have you contacted? I would try and contact every dealer in your state. Often times you can find the names and contact info for individual sales staff on the dealership website. Try and call or email those people directly instead of getting funneled through a more general route.

I would also plant the seed of ordering a car from SoCal and have it shipped up (~$1k), but I know Oregon doesn't pay sales tax so you'd have to figure that out. I believe it can be done, but you would need to find a cooperative SA.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Wow. I had no idea there was a dealership in Bend. The pair of Portland dealerships don't seem to be flush with allocations. Salem never seems to have many M's to sell. Not too sure about the one in Eugene.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
jayvee619
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 HS M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post
There should be allocations available, but my frame of reference is SoCal, which I'm guessing sees more allocations than Oregon. When I recently ordered I found 10+ allocations and/or un-sold in-transit vehicles just through email and ordered a car to my specs without any fuss.

How many dealers have you contacted? I would try and contact every dealer in your state. Often times you can find the names and contact info for individual sales staff on the dealership website. Try and call or email those people directly instead of getting funneled through a more general route.

I would also plant the seed of ordering a car from SoCal and have it shipped up (~$1k), but I know Oregon doesn't pay sales tax so you'd have to figure that out. I believe it can be done, but you would need to find a cooperative SA.
Exactly how I got my allocation, emailed a dealership that advertised an un-sold in transit M2C with my exact specs I wanted. Unfortunately someone beat me to the punch, but SA emailed me the next day and said they have an allocation available. I stopped by the following day to spec out my vehicle, put down a deposit, and walked out with a production number. Now just waiting like may others for it to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #5
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post
There should be allocations available, but my frame of reference is SoCal, which I'm guessing sees more allocations than Oregon...
Thanks for the tip about contacting the salespersons directly--I've been using general sales numbers and a really haven't had the most responsive salesmen.

So far I've been limiting my search to Oregon mainly because I'll have a trade in. I know that'll restrict options but it's probably best I keep the purchase in the Pacific NW. I know I'd lose my ass on trading in a 2018 Subaru but I assume they'll offer more in the NW compared to SoCal and it'll eliminate a long drive to pick up a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Wow. I had no idea there was a dealership in Bend. The pair of Portland dealerships don't seem to be flush with allocations. Salem never seems to have many M's to sell. Not too sure about the one in Eugene.
Yep, it's Kendall here in Bend for Audi, BMW, and Porsche and they seem more focused on Porsche's and Audi's. It's not very often I see any BMW M cars there. Kuni had the biggest allocation around but the SA I talked to last week said all 12 of their cars were reserved by the end of September. I'm still waiting to hear the final word from Eugene and Salem but it doesn't sound positive at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This just in from another dealership (BMW of Eugene)...

Quote:
Unfortunately, at this point we have more requests for allocation than numbers available to us. As a result, I am unable to add you to our list.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
Slaney
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

They pop up on cars.com, etc occasionally but you may not find your exact build... My dealer here was able to horse trade for an allocation, they swapped 2 new cars from the dealer with the allocation for that slot which went into production two weeks from the time we found it. It has just hit the port waiting on a ship. I had an allocation and had been waiting about 3 months before getting impatient and getting more actively involved.
I found a couple across the country but I wanted a sunroof which is rarely spec'd on a dealer car from what I saw while looking....
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaney View Post
They pop up on cars.com, etc occasionally but you may not find your exact build... My dealer here was able to horse trade for an allocation, they swapped 2 new cars from the dealer with the allocation for that slot which went into production two weeks from the time we found it. It has just hit the port waiting on a ship. I had an allocation and had been waiting about 3 months before getting impatient and getting more actively involved.
I found a couple across the country but I wanted a sunroof which is rarely spec'd on a dealer car from what I saw while looking....
Great idea, thanks for the suggestion. I'll ask the local dealer if they will do that but they're really pushing a used 2018 M2 they have in stock with super low miles so I don't know how responsive they'll be to such a request. And I'm in the same situation with the moonroof, as that's a requirement for me. I'm also picky about the color...black or white with black wheels. I guess I shouldn't be so choosy if I really want an M2C.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
Slaney
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Economatic View Post
Great idea, thanks for the suggestion. I'll ask the local dealer if they will do that but they're really pushing a used 2018 M2 they have in stock with super low miles so I don't know how responsive they'll be to such a request. And I'm in the same situation with the moonroof, as that's a requirement for me. I'm also picky about the color...black or white with black wheels. I guess I shouldn't be so choosy if I really want an M2C.
Sunroof was a deal breaker for me. Don't care about the wheels... I've got a new set of 437's sitting in the garage just waiting for their ride!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 10:06 PM   #10
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I would check all dealers within a days drive of you. It would be nice to pick it up locally but you might have to find a dealer some miles from you if you want one. You can always private sale your current car if you have to, though that's a pain in the ass.

If you want the M2C over the 2018 M2 get the M2C, don't compromise.
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      11-09-2018, 05:36 AM   #11
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
New member here and I was planning to ask questions about setting up an M2C for track days and tips for negotiating the purchase of a car. But after a month of contacting a few regional dealers it sounds like most allocations are reserved and the probability of actually getting (preferably order) an M2C is very near zero. Does that seem correct?

I'm not sure because the salespersons are really pushing the 2018's they have on the lots. The small local dealership in Bend, OR simply said they won't get an allocation so no need to try for a 2019 and a large regional dealer that sells a lot of M cars said they have a list of people waiting about twice as long as their confirmed allocations. At this point I'm not sure if I should continue my search or give up on an M2C.

Thanks in advance!
There are allocations out there, and a couple people did post about them laying off their allocations and offering them up.

There are also some out there at current dealers. BMW has built a couple and sent straight to some dealers.

I posted this one from my local dealer last weekend. Might still be there I haven't called them again.

M2 Competition SO, 6 Speed, Exec Pack MSRP in FL https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1551446
cptobvious2531.50
      11-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #12
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks to everyone for the input. One more question--are allocations final at this point or does BMW often add more at a later date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I would check all dealers within a days drive of you. It would be nice to pick it up locally but you might have to find a dealer some miles from you if you want one. You can always private sale your current car if you have to, though that's a pain in the ass.

If you want the M2C over the 2018 M2 get the M2C, don't compromise.
Unfortunately I've ruled out doing a private sale. I went down that road a couple years ago and during a test drive the guy almost wrecked the car in one of the many confusing roundabouts in my town. He ended up buying the car and I got an outstanding price but 20/20 hindsight, the risk wasn't worth it. I'd rather take a few thousand $ less on a trade than risk having someone mess up my insurance record and the value of the car. And I'm sure we all know the potential fun involved with selling to the typical demographic of a Subaru STI... (although I don't fit in that category)

Admittedly I have been toying with the idea of compromising with a 2018 M2...but that's unlikely because everything available is spec'd differently than I want. I'm leaning towards the 6-speed and want the moonroof. I haven't seen anything yet with both of those options and, besides, I'd prefer to have extra power of the S55 engine considering I won't tune it while under warranty. The bigger 6 pot/4 pot brakes of the M2C are preferable as well since I'd be doing track days. So I guess I'm stuck looking for an M2C.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 12:31 PM   #13
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I just picked mine up at the Salem dealership and they only had 2 guys on the list as of yesterday, but no more allocations. I think they only got one allocation for the year.

I would try to get on the list formally at some of the dealerships around and I bet you have a car soon. About half of the people "on the list" don't take a car from what I hear.

The SA I used in Salem was pretty straight forward with the process.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #14
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
I just picked mine up at the Salem dealership and they only had 2 guys on the list as of yesterday, but no more allocations. I think they only got one allocation for the year.

I would try to get on the list formally at some of the dealerships around and I bet you have a car soon. About half of the people "on the list" don't take a car from what I hear.

Congrats on the new car! Salem is the only dealership I requested info that hasn't contacted me. All the other dealerships that have/had allocations basically said they're not putting anyone else on the list.

Meh. I think I'll search for a couple more weeks and if nothing sounds promising I'll give up and revisit this next year. Maybe see what the 2020 MY looks like and get on a list early if it ticks all the boxes.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #15
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Congrats on finally picking up your car! Nice to hear that there's another one of us tooling around Oregon. I know Kuni delivered a couple more other than mine, but those owners don't appear to be on here (or they're lurking).

I've had two coworkers spot an LBB OG M2 downtown and send me pictures of it in an attempt to locate another M2C. I have no idea why they're doing this...they seem obsessed with finding M2's. The OG M2 they snapped is quite pretty, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 07:49 PM   #16
Slaney
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Call Midland, Texas BMW. They had a couple although they may be gone by now...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 11:30 AM   #17
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Congrats on finally picking up your car! Nice to hear that there's another one of us tooling around Oregon. I know Kuni delivered a couple more other than mine, but those owners don't appear to be on here (or they're lurking).

I've had two coworkers spot an LBB OG M2 downtown and send me pictures of it in an attempt to locate another M2C. I have no idea why they're doing this...they seem obsessed with finding M2's. The OG M2 they snapped is quite pretty, though.
Thanks. Getting Xpel installed tomorrow. Somehow she's got 500 miles already.

We have a White and LBB OG in Salem. Salem only got one car so far all year. I bet there's less than 10 in the state still.

Are you doing anything for winter tires? I was on a drive Sunday with temps in the high 40s and the sun out. Headed up into the hills a bit.. Then came around a corner into the shadows and found myself on very thick layer of frost in the middle of a hard corner.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #18
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Getting Xpel installed tomorrow. Somehow she's got 500 miles already.

We have a White and LBB OG in Salem. Salem only got one car so far all year. I bet there's less than 10 in the state still.

Are you doing anything for winter tires? I was on a drive Sunday with temps in the high 40s and the sun out. Headed up into the hills a bit.. Then came around a corner into the shadows and found myself on very thick layer of frost in the middle of a hard corner.
I have a set of 641m's with Michelin Alpin's sitting waiting in my garage. I almost changed over to them this weekend, but the forecast made it look better to wait...then it was 29 on the way in to work this morning. My car is garaged every night, so my tires probably weren't too cold, but the car certainly doesn't feel entirely happy in these temps.

Oregon in November. This morning I needed Winter tires, this afternoon I need to not be running my Winter tires.

I'll go ahead and put them on the car this weekend.
Appreciate 1
3tekcorps826.00
      11-13-2018, 03:21 PM   #19
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

One more (final?) update...

I did a test drive in a used 2018 M2 with only 300 miles at the local dealership last weekend. I really liked it but the LBB color and lack of moonroof were deal breakers for me. In fact, the SA agreed with me about the color.

I also asked about getting an M2C from another dealer and the manager said they wouldn't bother trying with a car in such high demand. So I had them put my name on their list for a 2020 M2, assuming there will in fact be a 2020 M2 manufactured and if my local dealership will get one. I was told they got 2 allocations in the last 3 years so the chances are not great. I also have to assume I could get bumped down the list by one of their long-term customers.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #20
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:

I did a test drive in a used 2018 M2 with only 300 miles at the local dealership last weekend. I really liked it but the LBB color and lack of moonroof were deal breakers for me. In fact, the SA agreed with me about the color.

I also asked about getting an M2C from another dealer and the manager said they wouldn't bother trying with a car in such high demand. So I had them put my name on their list for a 2020 M2, assuming there will in fact be a 2020 M2 manufactured and if my local dealership will get one. I was told they got 2 allocations in the last 3 years so the chances are not great. I also have to assume I could get bumped down the list by one of their long-term customers.

I think if you really want the M2C you better get aggressive and be willing to travel. Bend might get 1 car total next year. Salem got 1 car built this year and who knows what is going to happen next year. Small dealers aren't getting much.

Check with Boise dealers too. It's a nice drive home from there. Unless it's December.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      11-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #21
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Quote:

I think if you really want the M2C you better get aggressive and be willing to travel. Bend might get 1 car total next year. Salem got 1 car built this year and who knows what is going to happen next year. Small dealers aren't getting much.

Check with Boise dealers too. It's a nice drive home from there. Unless it's December.
+1

3tekcorps is spot on here. Waiting lists are super long. Every dealership I'd talked to had long, long, long lines.

But strangely enough, folks on this forum will sniff out randomly available cars that pop up at dealerships and post about them.

At different points, I was going to fly out to NJ, Florida, Chicago, and South Dakota to buy an M2C and then drive back to SoCal.

Fortunately, a member found one 20 miles from where I live and it was unclaimed at the dealership, so I bought it 5 minutes after seeing it.

But, every now and again one will get listed on this forum and if you're aggressive and willing to travel, it can be yours.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #22
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
+1

3tekcorps is spot on here. Waiting lists are super long. Every dealership I'd talked to had long, long, long lines.

But strangely enough, folks on this forum will sniff out randomly available cars that pop up at dealerships and post about them.

At different points, I was going to fly out to NJ, Florida, Chicago, and South Dakota to buy an M2C and then drive back to SoCal.

Fortunately, a member found one 20 miles from where I live and it was unclaimed at the dealership, so I bought it 5 minutes after seeing it.

But, every now and again one will get listed on this forum and if you're aggressive and willing to travel, it can be yours.
Funny, the SA and manager in Bend both said basically the same thing! I was told that if I want one soon I should try contacting high volume dealerships in California. I never thought I'd be told to go buy a car somewhere else.

Good tip about Boise. For some reason I completely forgot about looking over there although I go over a few times a year and even lived there for a couple years. I'll add it to my list.

At any rate, I didn't think it'd be this difficult to get an M2C so I'll probably see what's available in the spring and maybe get on some lists to order a car next year. And I've decided to not be aggressive with the search--I went down that road last year trying to get an RS3 and almost got a damaged car. I don't want waste the time and money to play that game again.
Appreciate 0