BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > HAS kits vs BC Racing Coilovers

10-31-2018, 07:02 PM   #1
KayC
Rep
Drives: Audi A3

HAS kits vs BC Racing Coilovers

Hi guys,

just wanted to see if the community have more experience on this. I am split between getting KW HAS kit or BC Racing Coilovers. I don't track my car. I may do the occasional autocross and do more spirited backroads driving. What I am trying to achieve is a more lowered look (Not slammed. Only looking for a 1 inch drop max)

Just wanted to see if anyone have comment in terms of ride, and longevity.

In the end, KW HAS is still springs on stock shocks. Where on the other hand, the BC Racing Coilovers are relatively cheap for an entry level coilovers, which is price around the HAS Kit (give or take $100 or so). However, I am wondering if BC Racing also do any testing and specific valving for the M2 or is it more of generic set up for all applications give or take. I know they are adjustable in terms of compression and rebound, but if its a generic kit, might as well not have it, since every car's weight is different etc.

What would you choose and why?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 12:58 AM   #2
Cristian135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

I am interested, I also seek opinion about bc racing coilover, active autowerke has mounted it in his m2 and had good opinion, I had these suspensions in my old bmw 135i for several years and I had no problem, I do not go to circuits only driving sports in the mountains and some drag.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 01:06 AM   #3
Cristian135
Private First Class
Rep

this user takes them. https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1392238
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
I have KW HAS on my M2 and I love them. Ride quality is identical to OEM. I just got them to lower my car. Didn't see a need for coilovers since my car was brand new at the time and the OEM shocks were perfectly good.

Appreciate 4
      11-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #5
KayCM2
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristian135 View Post
nice! I saw his build thread as well. I wonder What will be better in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 07:28 PM   #6
KayCM2
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
I have KW HAS on my M2 and I love them. Ride quality is identical to OEM. I just got them to lower my car. Didn't see a need for coilovers since my car was brand new at the time and the OEM shocks were perfectly good.
Nice! Drop looks perfect! what size spacers you running? How long have you had the KW HAS kit installed for? have the ride quality change over time?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 07:50 PM   #7
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCM2 View Post
What size spacers you running?
15mm spacers on all four corners. Initially did 12/10 based on what other people here had recommended but I wasn't happy with the way it looked.

Quote:
How long have you had the KW HAS kit installed for?
Have had everything installed since last November, so almost exactly a year now.

Quote:
Has the ride quality change over time?
As far as I can tell ride quality is identical to the way it was when I first installed everything. My M2 isn't my daily driver and I only have 6000 miles on my car so I can't give you much insight there.

One thing to note though, the springs will settle quite a bit a few weeks after install so keep that in mind when you set your initial height and don't go too low because the car will settle and you don't want to be rubbing.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #8
dk23
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 6MT

Bumping this thread, anyone have experience with the BC racing coilovers? Seem like a good alternative to KW HAS
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 01:26 AM   #9
kvnchu
Private
Rep
Drives: z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk23 View Post
Bumping this thread, anyone have experience with the BC racing coilovers? Seem like a good alternative to KW HAS
Had them on my EVO X and on a Lexus IS350.

Do not recommend them for any applications. They priced the way they for a reason.

My recommendation is that if you spent good money on a nice car dont ruin it by putting on 1000 dollar coilovers. my 2 cents
Caterham S3 '01
Porsche 993 '96
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2019, 07:37 AM   #10
Cristian135
Private First Class
Rep

I had coilovers bc br in my previous 135i and no problem, 4-5 years ago they are mounted, it was not used in circuits. Daily car and some 1/4 mile races.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #11
HS_M2C
Private
Rep
Drives: HS M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayC View Post
Hi guys,

just wanted to see if the community have more experience on this. I am split between getting KW HAS kit or BC Racing Coilovers. I don't track my car. I may do the occasional autocross and do more spirited backroads driving. What I am trying to achieve is a more lowered look (Not slammed. Only looking for a 1 inch drop max)

Just wanted to see if anyone have comment in terms of ride, and longevity.

In the end, KW HAS is still springs on stock shocks. Where on the other hand, the BC Racing Coilovers are relatively cheap for an entry level coilovers, which is price around the HAS Kit (give or take $100 or so). However, I am wondering if BC Racing also do any testing and specific valving for the M2 or is it more of generic set up for all applications give or take. I know they are adjustable in terms of compression and rebound, but if its a generic kit, might as well not have it, since every car's weight is different etc.

What would you choose and why?

Thanks!

Have you considered Eibach Pro Kit Springs? The general consensus seems pretty positive on the other threads I have read. It has about a 1 inch drop like you are looking for. I was also considering HAS kit but I don't think I will want to do more than a 1 inch drop on stock shocks and I feel like I will never really go back and change the height so I am leaning towards getting Eibach Springs.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #12
5thGearPinned
Not Mids
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 -FBO + PS2

BC Kit with Swift springs getting installed today. Ill chime in after I go for a drive
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 05:06 PM   #13
Cristian135
Private First Class
Rep

Good 👏
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 09:34 AM   #14
dk23
Rep

Let us know the verdict, the BC kit with swift springs would be ideal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGearPinned View Post
BC Kit with Swift springs getting installed today. Ill chime in after I go for a drive
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #15
5thGearPinned
Not Mids
Rep

Cool

So I got the car back on Friday going from bone stock to FBO, PS2 turbo, and the BC Coil overs with 12mm spacers all around. I was alarmed at how low they set the ride height - this car is my daily and it is pretty slammed imo and lower than I intended to drop it. Despite this, the car rides really well on the terribly maintained San Diego streets, and it looks great (of course) . The ride is pretty similar to stock and very compliant over choppy roads, but the stiffness is noticeable and the car is very responsive to steering input now in comfort or sport modes. You do notice the vehicle bounces slightly on small bumps at speed, but in all, the BC kit with Swift springs is looking to be a nice street setup. I have not messed with any of the dampening, and the shocks are set exactly as they came out of the box. The technician also did not see the extended rear adjusters which I paid extra for, which is a bummer. This means I have to remove my rear wheels to make any dampening adjustments to the rear of the car. Also the camber plate on one shock rattled lose after the first 5min of driving prompting us to re-tighten everything and all appears to be solid now. Again, I have not done any spirited driving and will report back after a solid canyon or track run. I also drove the car fully loaded with 4 people yesterday and put on about 100 miles on over the weekend all of which was city and freeway driving. The wheels in the rear rub on large bumps and will still rub with no rear passengers if I hit anything significant at speed. Luckily I get one free adjustment and will likely raise the rear a bit before I get the car corner balanced and aligned. Unfortunately with the copious amounts of rain Southern CA has been getting, I haven't really pushed the car too hard yet and will do a full feature thread on my build as there are not THAT many cars on the forums running upgraded turbos.

EDIT: Rear wheels do not need to be removed for adjustments. Can be performed on the ground
Attached Images

Last edited by 5thGearPinned; 03-19-2020 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: pictures upside down, sorry!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:35 PM   #16
dk23
Rep

awesome thanks for the review! Seems like the bc coils are a solid contender for an entry level kit, if you don't mind me asking how was it with the swift springs?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 11:43 PM   #17
5thGearPinned
Not Mids
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk23 View Post
awesome thanks for the review! Seems like the bc coils are a solid contender for an entry level kit, if you don't mind me asking how was it with the swift springs?
So it’s still raining (and even snowing) in parts of San Diego preventing me from really putting them to the test. I also haven’t gotten an alignment or corner balance yet but even so, the car feels transformed driving firm and planted at speed. The M2 is my daily driver and I was very apprehensive about running full blown c/o’s on it. But I wanted to eliminate body roll and improve chassis performance to match the PS2 Turbo. Most HAS users say the car “drives like stock” which turned me off from doing springs only. Make no mistake, the swift kit rides firm and has some “bounce” to it, so If you are happy w stock ride quality and only want a drop, HAS springs are the way to go. Overall I’m surprised with how forgiving the ride on harsh city streets is especially given the low ride height. I think once I mess with the soft/hard adjustments the car will be near perfect and I’ll be sure to chime back in after a track day or canyon run when this unusual weather subsides. Here’s a low res photo from today. 12mm spacers all around
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      03-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #18
5thGearPinned
Not Mids
Rep

Update on my BC Swift Kit: After checking the "factory presets" on the dampener adjusters the front shocks were set all the way Soft. I added 15 clicks from full soft, and adjusted the Fronts to 20 clicks from full soft. This change alone completely eliminated the "bounce" I was experiencing and improved the ride quality to be BETTER than OEM! Car feels very supple on bumpy roads now, is less prone to bottoming/rubbing, and corners with confidence now. I highly recommend this kit for $1300
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #19
Cristian135
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGearPinned View Post
Update on my BC Swift Kit: After checking the "factory presets" on the dampener adjusters the front shocks were set all the way Soft. I added 15 clicks from full soft, and adjusted the Fronts to 20 clicks from full soft. This change alone completely eliminated the "bounce" I was experiencing and improved the ride quality to be BETTER than OEM! Car feels very supple on bumpy roads now, is less prone to bottoming/rubbing, and corners with confidence now. I highly recommend this kit for $1300
after a few months how suspensions bc work?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 05:45 PM   #20
cmb570
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 135i

appreciate feedback on coilovers
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 12:26 PM   #21
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I had BC-BR w swift springs on the E46 M3 and they were really good for the price point. Just make sure to check your torque values and height after you drive a bit. And get a proper alignment of course
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #22
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

I can't recommend BC for this car.

An inexpensive coilover kit for this car would be H&R. You can't beat the quality of H&R for the price.
Appreciate 0