BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Coding VIM on iDrive 6

04-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Coding VIM on iDrive 6

Been coding for years. Mainly BMW cars.
On MY2018 if have added the 6NW VO code (enhanced Bluetooth and Office)
also coded out all the nag screens and allowed full messages to display on the screen while moving.
I have not however been able to get Video to play while the car is moving.
I know it is possible as 3 party vendors offer it.
Anyone got is to work on their cars using E-Sys?

3000 SPEEDLOCK_X_KMH_MIN value = FF
3000 SPEEDLOCK_X_KMH_MAX value = FF
3000 VIDEO_HANDBRAKE nicht_aktiv
3000 VIDEO_FRONT_LOCKED nitch_aktiv
3000 VIDEO_SPEEDLOCK_CONDITION none

Thanks

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
In the same vein, I'm wondering what is required in order to make the backup cam turn on "at will" (without going to reverse). I have retrofitted the parking sensor button, so I can push that and it brings up the correct screen in iDrive, but if you scroll to the camera option and try to enable it, it doesn't do anything. I suspect it's possible to code in but I don't know what to look for...
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 09:42 PM   #3
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Finally decided to buy Bimmercode and the Bluetooth 4 adapter. Package was not that cheap but thought I could code a mates MINI too.
Well could not get it to work. Went through the process then it asks you to hold the IDrive 6 controller forward then follow the instruction on the iDrive screen......except there were none.....
Tried to reverse the option but the thing crashed and said to contact customer support.
E-Sys is so much easier and works but can not code the VIM.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
JB330Ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
Finally decided to buy Bimmercode and the Bluetooth 4 adapter. Package was not that cheap but thought I could code a mates MINI too.
Well could not get it to work. Went through the process then it asks you to hold the IDrive 6 controller forward then follow the instruction on the iDrive screen......except there were none.....
Tried to reverse the option but the thing crashed and said to contact customer support.
E-Sys is so much easier and works but can not code the VIM.
Bluetooth one is known not working very well or not working at all with Bimmercode. You need the WiFi one which works like a charm

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FU5MVI8...GOHP7KT3&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Yup Wifi one is the way to go. Plus it works with an iPhone as well.
      04-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSurfer View Post
Yup Wifi one is the way to go. Plus it works with an iPhone as well.
So I wonder why the recommend the BT one then. Seems crazy.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #7
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

I just tried again. Bluetooth is fine - just removed and reinstalled.

App cannot give me VIM though. Anyone here done it successfully. You are meant to see instruction on the iDrive screen after hold the controller forward. I don't see any instructions at all and I've tried it 4 times!

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
JB330Ci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I just tried again. Bluetooth is fine - just removed and reinstalled.

App cannot give me VIM though. Anyone here done it successfully. You are meant to see instruction on the iDrive screen after hold the controller forward. I don't see any instructions at all and I've tried it 4 times!
I successfully coded VIM and all other stuffs twice with Bimmercode and Vgate Wifi iCar2 OBDII Elm327 code reader with no glitches. One was when I got the car new and the other time was after the 1,200 mile service while all the coding got wiped out by software upgrade.

BT one is not recommended. This isn't a BimmerCode thing, it's an iOS/BT thing. See thread #123 of

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1338157&page=6

Last edited by JB330Ci; 04-07-2018 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #9
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB330Ci View Post
I successfully coded VIM and all other stuffs twice with Bimmercode and Vgate Wifi iCar2 OBDII Elm327 code reader with no glitches. One was when I got the car new and the other time was after the 1,200 mile service while all the coding got wiped out by software upgrade.

BT one is not recommended. This isn't a BimmerCode thing, it's an iOS/BT thing. See thread #123 of

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1338157&page=6
Thanks but the connection is stable now - just reinstalled. Bluetooth does not work with IOS. I'm on Android.
Something else is not working. My car is a Jan 2018 build. They may well have updated something that causes the app to fail......

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #10
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB330Ci View Post

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...157&page=6
Thanks but the connection is stable now - just reinstalled. Bluetooth does not work with IOS. I'm on Android.
Something else is not working. My car is a Jan 2018 build. They may well have updated something that causes the app to fail......
I have MY18 with ID6 and extended telephony option (I get emails and texts up on my screen). I coded VIM with BimmerCode without issue. Works as it should...also coded play movie from USB drive which is awesome as it "remembers" where you left off even if the USB is removed from the car and car is turned off. Also coded a few other items like warning screens and changed chimes, etc. all done with BimmerCode app on my iPad and WiFi dongle. No issues and took only minutes. Even had the car back to the dealer to fix issue with the wiring of the MPE and the coding held up...I know they did something to the head unit because all my presets were gone when I got the car back...but all the coding was still there.

FYI...when you do the coding for VIM you have to hold the idrive controller forward for a few seconds...not just click it. Just follow the prompts on the screen.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #11
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
I have MY18 with ID6 and extended telephony option (I get emails and texts up on my screen). I coded VIM with BimmerCode without issue. Works as it should...also coded play movie from USB drive which is awesome as it "remembers" where you left off even if the USB is removed from the car and car is turned off. Also coded a few other items like warning screens and changed chimes, etc. all done with BimmerCode app on my iPad and WiFi dongle. No issues and took only minutes. Even had the car back to the dealer to fix issue with the wiring of the MPE and the coding held up...I know they did something to the head unit because all my presets were gone when I got the car back...but all the coding was still there.

FYI...when you do the coding for VIM you have to hold the idrive controller forward for a few seconds...not just click it. Just follow the prompts on the screen.
I held the iDrive controller forward the whole time. Then reset then held it when told (around 30 seconds). Still nothing on the iDrive screen.

Can you tell me what is says on the screen. Is that from BMW or BimmerCode?....

Thanks in advance for your help.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 09:23 AM   #12
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Wish I could remember exactly what it said, but it was on the idrive screen, not the iPad (app). Something about click this box, then hold the controller forward until it says to stop (I think it was five seconds or so, I don't remember it being 30 seconds).
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #13
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

[QUOTE=F87_LCI;23027174]Wish I could remember exactly what it said, but it was on the idrive screen, not the iPad (app). Something about click this box, then hold the controller forward until it says to stop (I think it was five seconds or so, I don't remember it being 30 seconds).[/QUOTE

Do you think it matters which screen you start on? When the idrive boots up after the initial part it is always on the music USB stick. Maybe I should remove that drive before I start.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #14
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Do you think it matters which screen you start on? When the idrive boots up after the initial part it is always on the music USB stick. Maybe I should remove that drive before I start.
I didn't have anything lugged into the USB drive. I coded a few things, and the head unit restarted a few times. I think I did VIM last...not sure it matters what order you do your coding?
Appreciate 1
GregoryK503.00
      04-08-2018, 11:54 AM   #15
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Ok. Got it to work. Pulled the usb stick. Set the music selection to dvd ( no dvd in the drive). Set the iDrive to options.
All went as described on the app!

Appreciate 1
McGary911467.00
      04-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #16
JB330Ci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ok. Got it to work. Pulled the usb stick. Set the music selection to dvd ( no dvd in the drive). Set the iDrive to options.
All went as described on the app!
Glad to see it's all working for you now.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #17
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks JB330Ci.

I honestly feel like the app support where unable to figure out what the problem was. They kept saying the same things. I told them to put a note on their website. "Put the phone in airplane mode and unplug all inputs to the drive"

Thanks for your help and support.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #18
iRasF87
Private
Rep
Drives: MG_'17Ⓜ2

Glad you got it to work. Months ago I got the same results every time (nothing on iDrive screen) and just gave up trying.
- since you've actually figured out the steps and probably what I'm missing, do you mind sharing the details from 'start to finish'. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 04:43 AM   #19
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRasF87 View Post
Glad you got it to work. Months ago I got the same results every time (nothing on iDrive screen) and just gave up trying.
- since you've actually figured out the steps and probably what I'm missing, do you mind sharing the details from 'start to finish'. Thanks

Sure.

Start off with un-pairing and then re-pairing the Bluetooth or Wi-Fi dongle.

Make sure your phone is in flight mode and only the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth are active.
Make sure that there is nothing any of the drives (USB, DVD)
Switch the drive to DVD even though there is nothing in the drive.
Select options on the iDrive controller.

Connect the Bimmercode app. Find the Head unit screen and click on the Video in motion section. Click activate.
Follow the instructions on the screen.
After holding the iDrive controller forward stop doing that soon as the screen reboots and displays the M logo. Next will be a special screen asking if you want to "temporarily" activate VIM. Click YES!

Let us know how it goes. Good Luck.

Appreciate 2
iRasF8713.50
///M Houbi1653.00
      03-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #20
etarante
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3 M40i

I Tried this on my 2019 X3 M40i and i never get the screen that is supposed to pop up after holding down the forward arrow. Any Help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0