BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Short Shift Kit Comparison

11-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #1
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I have now had the chance to try out both the UUC EVO3 SSK and the Rogue Engineering Octane SSK. I installed the UUC several months ago and just recently installed the Rogue kit. I figured I would share my thoughts in case it is helpful for anyone else.

In my eyes, the Rogue kit wins hands down. Shifter feel is better and more direct. There is less slop when in gear compared to the UUC. This is just my opinion but the UUC is LOUD, it often makes a loud clicking noise when shifting into gear. Some people may prefer the sound of the UUC. The Rogue kit does make a little sound when shifting to accompany the very positive feel of the throw but it is not a loud metallic click. The shift throw is shorter when using the Rogue kit.

Installation was very similar. Both are a pain in the ass considering it is just a shifter install. would be much easier on a lift. The Rogue kit is a little easier to install. I will say that the UUC kit does get a positive in that it is height adjustable. The Rogue shifter sits a little higher than the UUC in the lowest position. Unfortunately the Rogue shifter doesn't look like it will work with the stock shifter boot as it ends up pulling the trim up from the console when shifting to certain gears.

Please note I did also install the Rogue Engineering transmission mounts along with the Octane SSK, so it may not be a completely apples-to-apples comparison. The Rogue SSK with the transmission mounts is about $100 more than the UUC. Basically, I feel like the difference between the stock shifter and the UUC is about the same upgrade as the UUC to the Rogue kit so the price premium is not a huge deal.
emdeuce196.50
geogerf115.50
AndrewC198910903.50
      11-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #2
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
I'm getting the UUC installed in 2 weeks. I'll give my input then.

If the Rogue isn't compatible with the stock boot, it's disqualified imo. If it really does pull up the boot trim when shifting, that's unacceptable.

Last edited by No Boost; 11-19-2017 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 08:39 AM   #3
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
I'm getting the UUC installed in 2 weeks. I'll give my input then.

If the Rogue isn't compatible with the stock boot, it's disqualified imo. If it really does pull up the boot trim when shifting, that's unacceptable.
Sounds like you have a few mods coming that, pending official deets on the Competition, I may be interested in as well. Will be interested in any writeups you give us if/when you've got the time.
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      11-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #4
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
I agree that this is disappointing but I do want to point out that the UUC will do the same unless you have it at the absolute lowest position. Maybe I just have a very short shift boot from the factory. Whatever the case, I will be reaching out to Rogue Engineering to see if they had any issues with that during their testing.

I have also reached out to Redline Goods to see if they want to make a M2 (or I guess 2 series in general) shift boot. I have searched and no one seems to make an actual shift boot replacement that is specific to these cars.
      11-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #5
No Boost
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
I agree that this is disappointing but I do want to point out that the UUC will do the same unless you have it at the absolute lowest position. Maybe I just have a very short shift boot from the factory.
Thanks, I'll make sure it's at the lowest setting.
Appreciate 1
Bazgab132.00
      11-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

I went with the UCC precisely because it was height adjustable. Ever since I drove an old NSX a long ways back, I've liked the knob low. The UCC is not exactly quiet, but I don't mind the click because it is part of the "engagement experience"--the sensory feedback you get from positive engagement. And it's not anywhere close to loud or anything, at least in my car.

All that said, other than the height issue it is entirely possible I'd like the Rogue more if I tried one. But I'm not pulling the UUC out to do that.
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      12-04-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
No Boost
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I just had the UUC installed. Love it. I have no idea what height setting it's at because I forgot to mention it to the tech. I don't think it's at its lowest setting but that's cool with me. I wanted a shorter throw with better engagement and that's precisely what this kit offers. It allows for faster shifting because of less movement. Duh. The boot is taught in 1st, 3rd, and 5th but it's not over-stretched. Overall, it compliments my many other mods and makes it more racecar-like. I also had the red start/stop button installed, nice eye candy.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #8
BlackCobra08
King Cobra
Rep
Drives: incoming GTS 4.0

anyone have a remedy for this UUC issue?

delete

Last edited by BlackCobra08; 12-27-2017 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 10:51 PM   #9
emdeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 ZL9 6MT

Quote:
Please note I did also install the Rogue Engineering transmission mounts along with the Octane SSK, so it may not be a completely apples-to-apples comparison. The Rogue SSK with the transmission mounts is about $100 more than the UUC. Basically, I feel like the difference between the stock shifter and the UUC is about the same upgrade as the UUC to the Rogue kit so the price premium is not a huge deal.
I wasn't aware RE made tranny mounts for F8X vehicles

Also, does the RE shifter sit higher than stock? I'd imagine with the shorter throw, it wouldn't "stretch" out the boot as much?

Awesome review, visually the RE kit didn't appeal to me with their plastic pivot ball, but maybe their upsides make up for that.
F15 X5 35d - 2014-2017
E36 M3 - 2009-2016
Appreciate 1
Bazgab132.00
      12-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #10
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opplock1 View Post

Also, does the RE shifter sit higher than stock? I'd imagine with the shorter throw, it wouldn't "stretch" out the boot as much?

Awesome review, visually the RE kit didn't appeal to me with their plastic pivot ball, but maybe their upsides make up for that.
I ordered the SSK and trans mounts direct from RE. Looking at the website they list the F8X series as compatible vehicles. Maybe they weren't available until recently? Whatever the case, they bolted right up without issue.

I didn't take a measurement for the stock shifter height although I should have. I guess it does sit higher since I didn't have any issue with the shift boot with the stock shifter but both the UUC (even on the lowest setting) and the RE SSK's put enough tension on my stock shift boot to pop it out in certain gears. I think I just had a really tight shift boot from the factory. I also forgot to mention that I am using an aftermarket shift knob that causes the top of the shift boot to sit slightly higher than stock due to the knob adapter, this is probably the cause of most of the shift boot issue. My custom shift boot is supposed to arrive any day now so at least I will have that fixed soon.

Thanks for the comment. I can understand those who would prefer the metal pivot point or the UUC in general. I figured most people never try either of these SSK's, let alone both of them. I just happen to like the RE SSK better and I still do now that I have had it for a while. Disregarding the whole feel of the shifting experience between the (2) SSK's, I notice that I don't miss or mess up the 1-2 upshift as much which was previously my only problem area when I was getting on the gas more.

Got myself the Ultimate Clutch Pedal for myself recently as well. Once I get that installed I think I will be in manual transmission heaven. I don't mind the stock pedal but it definitely sits too high.
      12-28-2017, 01:08 AM   #11
emdeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 ZL9 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opplock1 View Post

I ordered the SSK and trans mounts direct from RE. Looking at the website they list the F8X series as compatible vehicles. Maybe they weren't available until recently? Whatever the case, they bolted right up without issue.

I didn't take a measurement for the stock shifter height although I should have. I guess it does sit higher since I didn't have any issue with the shift boot with the stock shifter but both the UUC (even on the lowest setting) and the RE SSK's put enough tension on my stock shift boot to pop it out in certain gears. I think I just had a really tight shift boot from the factory. I also forgot to mention that I am using an aftermarket shift knob that causes the top of the shift boot to sit slightly higher than stock due to the knob adapter, this is probably the cause of most of the shift boot issue. My custom shift boot is supposed to arrive any day now so at least I will have that fixed soon.

Thanks for the comment. I can understand those who would prefer the metal pivot point or the UUC in general. I figured most people never try either of these SSK's, let alone both of them. I just happen to like the RE SSK better and I still do now that I have had it for a while. Disregarding the whole feel of the shifting experience between the (2) SSK's, I notice that I don't miss or mess up the 1-2 upshift as much which was previously my only problem area when I was getting on the gas more.

Got myself the Ultimate Clutch Pedal for myself recently as well. Once I get that installed I think I will be in manual transmission heaven. I don't mind the stock pedal but it definitely sits too high.
Ah that makes sense.

I had the UUC on my e36 and it was hands down how it should have came from the factory. But I need to account for how incredibly sloppy and long the throws were the e36 ZF tranny. Switched to an AKG race shifter after and loved it, but it was too notchy for a daily driven car. Also been reading some reviews about UUC having a few fitment/design issues causing the shifter to be too forward or angled.

Yesss, the UCP is next on my list of things to upgrade. I had Rogue's version on the e36 and it surprisingly made a noticeable difference! I've told people that ignorance is bliss with the stock pedal, but if they upgraded, there is no going back.
F15 X5 35d - 2014-2017
E36 M3 - 2009-2016
Appreciate 2
Bazgab132.00
ewohar21.50
      01-02-2018, 12:39 PM   #12
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
I went with the UCC precisely because it was height adjustable. Ever since I drove an old NSX a long ways back, I've liked the knob low. The UCC is not exactly quiet, but I don't mind the click because it is part of the "engagement experience"--the sensory feedback you get from positive engagement. And it's not anywhere close to loud or anything, at least in my car.

All that said, other than the height issue it is entirely possible I'd like the Rogue more if I tried one. But I'm not pulling the UUC out to do that.
I also prefer the knob low like an NSX and if it is clicky, that is best feel.

Quote:
My custom shift boot is supposed to arrive any day now so at least I will have that fixed soon.
Did RE ever respond to the shift boot issue? Where'd you source the custom boot? I like your comparison and both seem to have their issues right now, so I might just wait a minute and just get the UCP.

Last edited by geogerf; 01-03-2018 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #13
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Was searching on how to remove the "rubbery" feel of the M2 shifter.

What I dont want is a "shorter" shifter than stock. As I have long arms, I already have to bend a bit awkward since the shifter sits low for me relative to the armrest.

Had a Rogue in my 01 M3 and wasnt very happy with it. It was too short, and very mechanical. Took a ton of force to shift.

So is the UUC and Rogue as "tall" as stock? But with less rubbery? Based on the shifter boot comments being stretched, my guess is its taller.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #14
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
Was searching on how to remove the "rubbery" feel of the M2 shifter.

What I dont want is a "shorter" shifter than stock. As I have long arms, I already have to bend a bit awkward since the shifter sits low for me relative to the armrest.

Had a Rogue in my 01 M3 and wasnt very happy with it. It was too short, and very mechanical. Took a ton of force to shift.

So is the UUC and Rogue as "tall" as stock? But with less rubbery? Based on the shifter boot comments being stretched, my guess is its taller.
I found that the UUC in the lowest position sits equal or slightly higher in my car than the stock shifter. The Rogue Shifter sits higher than that. Between my choice of shift knob and the Rogue SSK I had to get a shift boot that is 2" taller than stock to make sure there was no tension in the boot.

I have found the shift action to be much improved over stock with the Rogue SSK and the Rogue transmission mounts. The UUC has roughly the same shift throw length as the Rogue SSK but it was extremely mechanical/notchy. Some may like that but I wasn't a huge fan. I also found I still missed aggressive 1-2 upshifts with the UUC more than I do with the Rogue. Either shifter is a big improvement over the stock shifter.

This is how mine looks currently. I have transitioned to being a sidearm shifter so I absolutely love the Raceseng Circuit Cylinder.

10-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #15
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
In case anyone is interested I have a Rogue kit for sale, brand new for 375 shipped within the US. PM me if interested.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #16
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Would it be fair to say - based on the comments in this thread - that they are both not recommended as a means to improve the shift action?

Note, I'm not commenting on the ability to shift - touching it does on what the clutch is doing - just how the lever feels.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #17
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

"My Shift is like butter!" comment in 5...4...3...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 07:29 AM   #18
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
I found that the UUC in the lowest position sits equal or slightly higher in my car than the stock shifter. The Rogue Shifter sits higher than that. Between my choice of shift knob and the Rogue SSK I had to get a shift boot that is 2" taller than stock to make sure there was no tension in the boot.

I have found the shift action to be much improved over stock with the Rogue SSK and the Rogue transmission mounts. The UUC has roughly the same shift throw length as the Rogue SSK but it was extremely mechanical/notchy. Some may like that but I wasn't a huge fan. I also found I still missed aggressive 1-2 upshifts with the UUC more than I do with the Rogue. Either shifter is a big improvement over the stock shifter.

This is how mine looks currently. I have transitioned to being a sidearm shifter so I absolutely love the Raceseng Circuit Cylinder.

Where did you have the boot made up?

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #19
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
Where did you have the boot made up?
I had it made by Redline Goods. They now have the pattern for the F87 after making one for me.
      10-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #20
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
I had it made by Redline Goods. They now have the pattern for the F87 after making one for me.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #21
RsPhi135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

can you use any shift knob with that boot?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #22
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RsPhi135 View Post
can you use any shift knob with that boot?
Yes, you just have to make sure the height is correct. Aftermarket knobs will most likely need to be a little taller due to how you typically install them. Redline lets you specify custom heights for the boot with the default height matching the OEM boot.