BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Xpel PPF installed with one minor issue

02-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #23
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
as a PPF/Colorwrap installer, I will say these will NEVER come out perfect. I've seen a lot of these jobs including very expensive jobs on very expensive cars and I have not seen one job that came out perfect.

same goes with re-paint jobs.. but at least PPF/wraps are removable.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 2
tranck499.00
      02-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #24
Mrt_M2
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
Hi everyone,

I got Xpel installed on my M2C's all front - bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, grill.

Overall, the installer did an excellent job. There were some minor air bubbles which he popped out. Still have some bubbles which are expected to settle in within a week. I have a follow up next week the installer.

Honestly, can't even tell that there's Xpel PPF on the car.

I have one minor issue though. I do see a small dust speck in front, right next to the badge. I showed it to the installer and he said to wait a week and see how it looks, then we can decided what to do next.

The speck is not that noticeable unless you go looking for it. However if sun shines directly on the panel then it starts to become a little obvious. When you rub your hands over the spec it is raised up slightly.

Please see pictures attached.

Now am I expecting too much? Do you guys have such imperfections in your Xpel install as well? What did you do? Should I get the Xpel re-installed? It is pretty much re-doing the complete front bumper.

Except the speck, everything looks clean and perfect so far.

Hi!
This is Murat and i am the shop manager here at 5 Point auto spa.
I udnerstand we are taking care of the problem soon by replacing the bra.
Many have already mentioned that, generally that’s a very passable install. But we care about you the most. If it makes you happy, we will re do it

Just don’t forget, while repairing such a small imperfection, you are taking a risk by removing a clear bra. Even though we do take all precautions, sometimes clear coat comes off with the bra. And you might end up with a painted panel therefore. It doesn’t happen often, but happens.

858-925-4380
You can always call or text me if you have any more issues or concerns.
Appreciate 2
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      02-05-2019, 07:27 PM   #25
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrt_M2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
Hi everyone,

I got Xpel installed on my M2C's all front - bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, grill.

Overall, the installer did an excellent job. There were some minor air bubbles which he popped out. Still have some bubbles which are expected to settle in within a week. I have a follow up next week the installer.

Honestly, can't even tell that there's Xpel PPF on the car.

I have one minor issue though. I do see a small dust speck in front, right next to the badge. I showed it to the installer and he said to wait a week and see how it looks, then we can decided what to do next.

The speck is not that noticeable unless you go looking for it. However if sun shines directly on the panel then it starts to become a little obvious. When you rub your hands over the spec it is raised up slightly.

Please see pictures attached.

Now am I expecting too much? Do you guys have such imperfections in your Xpel install as well? What did you do? Should I get the Xpel re-installed? It is pretty much re-doing the complete front bumper.

Except the speck, everything looks clean and perfect so far.

Hi!
This is Murat and i am the shop manager here at 5 Point auto spa.
I udnerstand we are taking care of the problem soon by replacing the bra.
Many have already mentioned that, generally that’s a very passable install. But we care about you the most. If it makes you happy, we will re do it

Just don’t forget, while repairing such a small imperfection, you are taking a risk by removing a clear bra. Even though we do take all precautions, sometimes clear coat comes off with the bra. And you might end up with a painted panel therefore. It doesn’t happen often, but happens.

858-925-4380
You can always call or text me if you have any more issues or concerns.
Thanks, this is an educational post.

We already know that 5 point is great. This post is simply to educate all of us to make the right decision and learn as we go. We are in no way undermining 5 point autospa.

It is normal to see such posts in the forum where we are trying to ask each other for knowledge share and experience.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 09:41 PM   #26
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

To the OP -- you are being extremely, highly, unrealistically, neurotically overly picky.

I had one of the best installers in my area install the PPF on my M2, it's easily the best PPF install I've had (and I've had four others done at various installers), and my clear bra certainly has more than one imperfection.

After 5,000 miles you'll have so many little nicks and scratches in your PPF that you won't care about that tiny bubble.

Don't risk it. Leave well enough alone.
Appreciate 2
tranck499.00
      02-06-2019, 06:59 AM   #27
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Hey everyone, it's great that you all are OCD out there, but I will tell you from experience as an installer, that no car is perfect from the factory.

Here are somethings to consider
- if a manufacturers can't produce a good pallet to work on how can a film installer improve on a paint job that is 90-99% perfect, there will be issues.

For example the Tesla's.

https://jalopnik.com/here-s-a-close-...ali-1831320698

Here are the imperfections on the paint prior to installation. You can only imagine if you look closely how many imperfections you can see under film which will magnify the imperfections:

- Bubbles can be adjusted so don't worry about it.
- Most reputable shops will fix any issues that are fair and warranted.
- Film installation is not easy it takes a ton of time to master the craft
- Remember film is not there to win a beauty contest it's there to protect from rock chips, if your installer is a good one the work will look better
- You get what you pay for (don't always look for the best price)

In short if it's only 1 or 2 spots per panel it's acceptable, leave it alone as you do risk the next installation to have imperfections only to be somewhere else.

Hope that helps I'm always available for an email or a chat...

phil@detailersdomain.com
201-768-1818
Appreciate 5
kfscoll208.50
heavyD^23684.00
tranck499.00
akkando5860.00