BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Clicking Noise Every Morning

02-25-2021, 10:48 AM   #1
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Clicking Noise Every Morning

I am getting a click noise every morning when I unlock the car. I can hear it from the outside once the car is unlock, coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. Anyone who is familiar with how the car's electronics are sequenced to start so I can self diagnose what is making the noise? It is right after I unlock the car and before starting the engine. It runs for like 20-30 seconds and then disappears. Could be the headlight or something?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 11:42 AM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1456944

like that?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 12:18 PM   #3
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Had the same issue when it was totally stock. Not normal. I would recommend you take a video and take it to your SA at the dealer to get it fixed. It'll cause premature wear on the VVT actuator over time.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

It could be valvetronics like the others have said, for me it only rattled upon unlock for a couple of seconds and stopped. But it's all good now after it was replaced.

If it is valvetronics it could be the following:

1) valvetronics motor
2) eccentric shaft
3) needle bearings
      02-26-2021, 04:07 PM   #5
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep

I have made an appointment with the dealer. Thanks everyone for the great info. I will report back once they complete the diagnose. Right now the ticking doesn't happen all the time. I do have a video as proof but still fingers crossed that they will be able to replicate it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 03:54 PM   #6
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep

Brought the car to the dealer, left it overnight, the noise just wouldn't come up. They try to re-program the car per BMW's repair manual and found the speaker amp not responding. Got that replaced but they wouldn't touch the valvetronic motor. Had a small argument that led nowhere and end up giving in to the dealer. Now it is warmer outside, the clicking has not come back since. Warranty is running out this summer, I guess I will be on my own. May consider getting an extended warranty once I can comparing warranty price against the cost of a valvetronice motor replacement work.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 04:21 PM   #7
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ming_lau View Post
Brought the car to the dealer, left it overnight, the noise just wouldn't come up. They try to re-program the car per BMW's repair manual and found the speaker amp not responding. Got that replaced but they wouldn't touch the valvetronic motor. Had a small argument that led nowhere and end up giving in to the dealer. Now it is warmer outside, the clicking has not come back since. Warranty is running out this summer, I guess I will be on my own. May consider getting an extended warranty once I can comparing warranty price against the cost of a valvetronice motor replacement work.
Get them videos of the noise if possible, for me I had a really good relationship with my SA and shop foreman and they were willing to sit down and listen to me explain my issue, and show them videos. The good thing is my foreman is really really fricken smart and knowledgeable so when he heard the video he instantly agreed with me it was valvetronic related and agreed that is what they would be repairing. We even had a chat of what normally goes wrong and then they did the fix. Could not be happier with my dealer - which is a first since I normally hate dealer ships service departments but not this one.
      03-15-2021, 12:20 AM   #8
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Get them videos of the noise if possible, for me I had a really good relationship with my SA and shop foreman and they were willing to sit down and listen to me explain my issue, and show them videos. The good thing is my foreman is really really fricken smart and knowledgeable so when he heard the video he instantly agreed with me it was valvetronic related and agreed that is what they would be repairing. We even had a chat of what normally goes wrong and then they did the fix. Could not be happier with my dealer - which is a first since I normally hate dealer ships service departments but not this one.
I did get them videos, 2 at different time to be exact. The reason they try to trough to me is that they have to follow the OEM procedure and be able to replicate the situation in the shop. I even offered them what if I just keep recording videos. Like, if I have 5 records within a month, would you guys accept it? The answer they gave me is no. Don’t know if I should try a different dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 01:20 AM   #9
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I did get them videos, 2 at different time to be exact. The reason they try to trough to me is that they have to follow the OEM procedure and be able to replicate the situation in the shop. I even offered them what if I just keep recording videos. Like, if I have 5 records within a month, would you guys accept it? The answer they gave me is no. Don’t know if I should try a different dealer.
You should give them to the PUMA number of someone suffering the same issue, I also did that along with the video. But you should also talk to the shop foreman and service manager to express your concern. You can also try to keep coming back and put more pressure on them, but if they won't do it they won't do it. That's why you have to find a good SA and foreman that are willing to sit down and listen to you.

If that doesn't work go to a different dealer.
      03-15-2021, 03:29 PM   #10
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You should give them to the PUMA number of someone suffering the same issue, I also did that along with the video. But you should also talk to the shop foreman and service manager to express your concern. You can also try to keep coming back and put more pressure on them, but if they won't do it they won't do it. That's why you have to find a good SA and foreman that are willing to sit down and listen to you.

If that doesn't work go to a different dealer.
Got a call from my SA after I complained to them about getting the clicking noise the same day I got the car back. They say they are willing to bring the car in and this time will replace the valvetronic motor. He is saying there will be no question asked this time and I don't need to give them more videos. Hopefully that is the end of the story. Having my fingers crossed.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      03-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #11
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Got a call from my SA after I complained to them about getting the clicking noise the same day I got the car back. They say they are willing to bring the car in and this time will replace the valvetronic motor. He is saying there will be no question asked this time and I don't need to give them more videos. Hopefully that is the end of the story. Having my fingers crossed.
good to hear. There are stages to this repair:

1) Valvetronic motor + all the seals and screws that are 1 time use.

2) If 1 doesnt fix it then valvetronic motor + eccentric shaft + all related accessories.

3) A brand new head.
AndrewC198910903.50
      03-15-2021, 03:47 PM   #12
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:

2) If 1 doesnt fix it then valvetronic motor + eccentric shaft + all related accessories.

3) A brand new head.
Oh. I think I might only get to the 1st stage. With the weather that is warming up right now on the west coast, the ticking has became less frequent.

Last edited by ming_lau; 03-15-2021 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 03:53 PM   #13
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Oh wow. I think I might only get to 1st stage. With the weather that is worming up right now on the west coast, the ticking has become less frequent.
For me and a few others weather did not influence the clicking and we had repair 2 done, never heard of anyone having to replace the entire head though.
      03-15-2021, 03:55 PM   #14
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
For me and a few others weather did not influence the clicking and we had repair 2 done, never heard of anyone having to replace the entire head though.
Thanks a all these great info! Really appreciate you sharing the knowledge here.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 03:57 PM   #15
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a all these great info! Really appreciate you sharing the knowledge here.
You got it.

Remember to check your car after the repair to see if the issue went away. For some of us the issue got worse and we had to get repair 2 done, because the issue may actually not be the valvetronic motor but actual be related to the needle bearings, the eccentric shaft being marred etc.
      03-15-2021, 04:46 PM   #16
f87.lci
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2- 6MT

Does it only happen at 1/4 or less tank of gas? I have noticed a similar sound but only when the gas is on the lower end. something to do with priming ? Took it to the dealer and was not able to replicate the sound. since then i have tried to keep my gas full and havent noticed the sound much.
2018 BMW M2 (LBB)| 6MT| |MPE| Vorsteiner VFF 107| Vorsteiner CF Front Lip| MP Winglets|Evo Comp II Intercooler |Fabspeed Sportcat Downpipe| FTP Boost /Charge Pipes |PT Turbo Inlet Pipe| |Turbosmart DV| |BM3 Stage 2 93 Tune| |BMW Electronic Wheel||KW V3 Coilovers|

IG: https://www.instagram.com/f87lci/
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 05:21 PM   #17
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f87.lci View Post
Does it only happen at 1/4 or less tank of gas? I have noticed a similar sound but only when the gas is on the lower end. something to do with priming ? Took it to the dealer and was not able to replicate the sound. since then i have tried to keep my gas full and havent noticed the sound much.
I used to think it was priming as well but it doesn't make logical sense how it would do that without the engine being on because the hpfp is driven off of the vacuum pump which is driven off of the timing chain. (I used to mistake it with being cam driven but that's the b58 and spool performance was a bit misleading on how their calculations worked which led me to believe that it was cam driven). Anyways it's not likely hpfp priming causes that sound with the engine off because how can the pump even be actuated? The lpfp would make a wiring sound not a ticking sound.

The only thing that makes sense is the valvetronic motor which actuates itself in a sort of calibration sweep everytime you open the door or wake the car in a 30 second window.
      03-25-2021, 12:45 AM   #18
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep

Got the 1st stage repair done. Have driven the car for 500km now and the noise has not come back since.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 01:18 AM   #19
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Got the 1st stage repair done. Have driven the car for 500km now and the noise has not come back since.
Great to hear!

It seems like that has solved the issue on your car.
      03-25-2021, 12:39 PM   #20
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:

3) A brand new head.
My dealer did #1 and 2 2 years ago and haven't had the issue since
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 01:17 PM   #21
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkies View Post
My dealer did #1 and 2 2 years ago and haven't had the issue since
Great to hear!
      07-11-2021, 05:07 AM   #22
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

When my valvetronic motor went I had this. Replaced it and now car is so strong and happy. Sounds louder. Super smooth. Honestly the best it's ever been, weird. Wonder if it was flagging for some time but not critically failing. We will never know.
Appreciate 0