BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bootmod3 tuned emissions on stage 2?

02-12-2021, 03:24 PM   #1
Fabre80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

Bootmod3 tuned emissions on stage 2?

Hey guys I went to do emissions test on the car and it had 3 rediness faults and could not pass. I am tuned with Bootmod3 on stage 2 and full FBO with a high flow cat. Do I have to put the stock cat back on and flash it to stock again?

I am in Georgia, shouldnt I be able to get the readiness going to pass emissions? does anyone had this happened before.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabre80 View Post
Hey guys I went to do emissions test on the car and it had 3 rediness faults and could not pass. I am tuned with Bootmod3 on stage 2 and full FBO with a high flow cat. Do I have to put the stock cat back on and flash it to stock again?

I am in Georgia, shouldnt I be able to get the readiness going to pass emissions? does anyone had this happened before.

Thanks
Yes you should.

You have to put your OEM tune back on the car, then make sure you put your Catalytic Monitors back to the OEM setting. Then you have to drive the car about 30 miles for it to reset.

BTW what were the 3 faults?
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 04:37 PM   #3
Fabre80
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
Quote:

Thanks
Yes you should.

You have to put your OEM tune back on the car, then make sure you put your Catalytic Monitors back to the OEM setting. Then you have to drive the car about 30 miles for it to reset.

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Yes you should.

I dont have them with me right this moment. I appreciate the help man. So your saying to flash the car back to stock and change the settings to OEM and drive it for 30 miles?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 05:01 PM   #4
Fabre80
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceCity View Post
Pls don't listen to the guy above. He is half right. You do not need to take the tune off. You keep the tune on and go to the bm3 settings and change the cat monitoring settings.

Tuning back to stock and changing the cat settings, like he recommended, does nothing.
Quote:
Pls don't listen to the guy above. He is half right. You do not need to take the tune off. You keep the tune on and go to the bm3 settings and change the cat monitoring settings.

Tuning back to stock and changing the cat settings, like he recommended, does nothing.
Ah ok thanks ill try that tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 09:16 AM   #5
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
You posted>

Hey guys I went to do emissions test on the car and it had 3 rediness faults and could not pass.

I asked in my original response what the 3 readiness faults were.

I suggested flashing to the OEM tune so that you cleared all 3 of those codes.

If you have a OBDII scanner you can clear that that way as well.

I had a bitch of a time getting my 2020 into readiness status.

I have HFC's which threw the O2 readiness code.

If your HFC does indeed throw the P420 code then simply setting the Cat Monitor back to OEM will not solve your problem. If your HFC takes a while to throw the P420 code you might be able to pass the emissions test before it throws the O2 Code.

To pass emissions with a HFC that throws the P420 you will need to add a spacer between the O2 sensor and the HFC.

Either way you will still need to "reset" those 3 codes before trying again.

Make sense?

Last edited by SEAT TIME RULES; 02-13-2021 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 11:26 AM   #6
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Omg do not do that. If you put a spacer in your o2 sensor, you will confuse the tune because it won't be reading correct afr anymore

O2 readiness is different from the p420 code
If he pulls into the garage with a P420 code he will not pass the readiness test.

On my car my Wagner HFC's did not throw 420's right away.... probably after 500--750 miles of driving. Now they throw the code as soon as I drive the car about 30 miles after I clear everything..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 03:38 PM   #7
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
If he pulls into the garage with a P420 code he will not pass the readiness test.

On my car my Wagner HFC's did not throw 420's right away.... probably after 500--750 miles of driving. Now they throw the code as soon as I drive the car about 30 miles after I clear everything..
Quote:
You posted>

Hey guys I went to do emissions test on the car and it had 3 rediness faults and could not pass.

I asked in my original response what the 3 readiness faults were.

I suggested flashing to the OEM tune so that you cleared all 3 of those codes.

If you have a OBDII scanner you can clear that that way as well.

I had a bitch of a time getting my 2020 into readiness status.

I have HFC's which threw the O2 readiness code.

If your HFC does indeed throw the P420 code then simply setting the Cat Monitor back to OEM will not solve your problem. If your HFC takes a while to throw the P420 code you might be able to pass the emissions test before it throws the O2 Code.

To pass emissions with a HFC that throws the P420 you will need to add a spacer between the O2 sensor and the HFC.

Either way you will still need to "reset" those 3 codes before trying again.

Make sense?
Quote:
Yes you should.

Seat time is correct:

1) If you have bm3 set to ignore cat inefficiency CEL's then you will get a readiness fault, you will have to set the cat monitoring settings back to OEM in order to prevent cat readiness codes. You will also have to clear the codes and drive it for awhile for readiness to be reestablished.

2) If you do #1 and still get a P0420 code (which means the cats are performing under their efficiency threshold due to the use of a high flow downpipe or catless downpipe) this is a separate issue from cat readiness (which is triggered by cat monitoring settings in your tune). To resolve this issue you must either use a O2 sensor spacer - which doesn't cause AFR reading issues unless you have no idea how to use it and put it on the primary o2 sensor. If you put the spacers on the secondary o2 sensor it will be fine, as the secondary sensor only checks for catalyst efficiency and is not responsible for AFR measurements. It is also disabled when you choose the catless or high flow downpipe settings in cat monitoring. The second option you have is to put on your OEM downpipes.

But in either scenario cat monitoring settings must be set to oem or else you will get a readiness fault.
      02-13-2021, 04:12 PM   #8
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Seat time is correct:

1) If you have bm3 set to ignore cat inefficiency CEL's then you will get a readiness fault, you will have to set the cat monitoring settings back to OEM in order to prevent cat readiness codes. You will also have to clear the codes and drive it for awhile for readiness to be reestablished.

2) If you do #1 and still get a P0420 code (which means the cats are performing under their efficiency threshold due to the use of a high flow downpipe or catless downpipe) this is a separate issue from cat readiness (which is triggered by cat monitoring settings in your tune). To resolve this issue you must either use a O2 sensor spacer - which doesn't cause AFR reading issues unless you have no idea how to use it and put it on the primary o2 sensor. If you put the spacers on the secondary o2 sensor it will be fine, as the secondary sensor only checks for catalyst efficiency and is not responsible for AFR measurements. It is also disabled when you choose the catless or high flow downpipe settings in cat monitoring. The second option you have is to put on your OEM downpipes.

But in either scenario cat monitoring settings must be set to oem or else you will get a readiness fault.
Yes I forgot to add the the spacers are for the post cat bungs. Its obvious so I missed that! good call
sensors...

If your interested in the spacers I have on my car:

https://www.racdyn-usa.com/PROD/130+10+10+014.html

Solved my problem ...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 04:31 PM   #9
Fabre80
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Seat time is correct:

Got it, so I flashed the car last night and updated the settings have to OEM catalytic monitors but still have the tune. I have not driven it because I am using my other car today. Sunday I am free and can put some miles on it and scan it with ODB tool I purchased from amazon to check readiness.

Hopefully I won't have to flash it back to stock and put the stock cat back on.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 08:24 AM   #10
Fabre80
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Seat time is correct:

[COLOR="red"][COLOR="red"][COLOR="Red"]Yes I forgot to add the the spacers are for the post cat bungs. Its obvious so I missed that! good call
sensors...[/COLOR]

https://www.racdyn-usa.com/PROD/130+10+10+014.html[/COLOR]

Solved my problem ...[/COLOR]
Quote:
Quote:
Seat time is correct:

[COLOR="red"][COLOR="red"][COLOR="Red"]Yes I forgot to add the the spacers are for the post cat bungs. Its obvious so I missed that! good call
sensors...[/COLOR]

https://www.racdyn-usa.com/PROD/130+10+10+014.html[/COLOR]

Solved my problem ...[/COLOR]
I am going to flash the car back to my OEM tune and put the stock car back on. Question do I have to set the OEM car settings as well even when I flash the car back to stock?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 09:15 AM   #11
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
I am going to flash the car back to my OEM tune and put the stock car back on. Question do I have to set the OEM car settings as well even when I flash the car back to stock?
No, once you flash to the stock tune and let the car do a 30-40 mile reset you will be good to go.

If you don't want to hassle with the spacers that's fine. The post cat O2 sensor is just for cat emissions monitoring it does NOT screw up any tunes or DME related AFR stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 01:24 PM   #12
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No, once you flash to the stock tune and let the car do a 30-40 mile reset you will be good to go.

If you don't want to hassle with the spacers that's fine. The post cat O2 sensor is just for cat emissions monitoring it does NOT screw up any tunes or DME related AFR stuff.
+1

The other poster here doesn't have a clue about anything regarding bmws or tuning hence why he made those afr comments.
      02-22-2021, 09:38 PM   #13
_joncheung
https://www.instagram.com/_joncheung
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Yes I forgot to add the the spacers are for the post cat bungs. Its obvious so I missed that! good call
sensors...

https://www.racdyn-usa.com/PROD/130+10+10+014.html

Solved my problem ...
Can you run these mini cats full time on your downpipe? I haven't installed my DP yet. But if these can be on all the time, I want to do it on the DP install so I don't have to put them on later.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 10:29 PM   #14
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _joncheung View Post
Can you run these mini cats full time on your downpipe? I haven't installed my DP yet. But if these can be on all the time, I want to do it on the DP install so I don't have to put them on later.
Yes you can run it full time, as long as you install it on the secondary o2 sensor.

Imo a tune to remove any o2 sensor fault codes is better, but that is not always possible for various reasons. So if you must an o2 sensor spacer is fine.
      02-23-2021, 11:10 AM   #15
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by _joncheung View Post
As F87 stated these spacers are for the post cat O2 sensor(s). on a N55 you need one, and on a S55 you need 2. You can also get away with a cheaper fix..

Any 18 mm sparkplug anti fouler works as well.

Such as these: https://www.pepboys.com/dorman-help-...roduct/1154151

I went for the mini cat ones since they are widely used as well.

Many states now don't do sniffer tests either at all, or less frequently. Instead the check the readiness of all the emissions components thru the OBDII Port.

Here's the MA test details:

On-Board Diagnostic Tests – The Massachusetts RMV will administer an ODBII test on most motor vehicles made in the 2000 or newer model years. The OBDII system installed in U.S. manufactured vehicles made in the 1996 and newer model years is a mechanical issue early-warning system. The system records the vehicle’s performance by administering a specific kind of test referred to as a “Monitor”. Monitors test a vehicle’s primary emissions components and subsystems. While the key is in the ignition and the engine is off, a test technician will make sure the vehicle’s DLC (Data Link Connector) works properly. Then, the test technician hooks an emissions diagnostic tool up to your vehicle’s DLC using a cable to allow the technician’s diagnostic tool to communicate with the vehicle’s OBD II system. The Massachusetts RMV test technician can check your vehicle’s engine and emissions systems, and see if any monitors state a “Not Ready” status. If there are too many monitors stating a “Not Ready” status, then the vehicle will not pass the test. The test personnel can complete the test in around 2 minutes.

Here's a brief article on the difference between what the pre & post O2 sensors:

The Purpose of a Front O2 Sensor
Front O2 sensors analyze the exhaust coming directly from the engine. When O2 sensors were installed only in one place, they were located in the position that made them what would be called front O2 sensors today. They communicate with the engine control module, the computer that controls the mixture of fuel and air that goes into the engine. If the mixture is too rich, which means that it contains too much fuel, then the computer reduces the fuel in the mixture that goes into the engine; if the exhaust is too lean, then the computer adds more fuel to the mix. The computer tries to maintain an ideal ratio of air to fuel to minimize emissions and improve fuel economy.

The Purpose of a Back O2 Sensor
Back O2 sensors are located after the catalytic converter, a part that facilitates the conversion of pollutants in the exhaust to harmless by-products. These sensors monitor the efficiency of the converter. The computer compares the exhaust that flows into the converter with the exhaust that comes out. If the effect that the converter has on the composition of the exhaust decreases, it means that the converter is wearing out. The computer can monitor the level of the converter's operation and alert the driver when the converter needs to be replaced.

So a tune can be done to work around the O2 sensor code(s)... p420 is one of them. Which is fine to keep your CE light from coming on all the time.

The problem is a tune will not help U pass a readiness test. That's what the spacers are for.

On my S55 I had to reset the readiness faults (flashed back to OEM tune), or you can use a OBDII monitor to reset the DME as well. Then while logged into my BM3 interface I selected Catalytic Monitors (CEL) and choosing the 'OEM" setting.

Last, you then have to drive 30-40 miles for the reset to take place in the DME. Once this is done you head straight back to the garage for another test.

Hopefully getting a PASS instead of another FAIL. Obviously if a CEL is lit up you can't pass :-)

Last edited by SEAT TIME RULES; 02-23-2021 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 05:34 AM   #16
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
I have to do this every year for Texas state inspection. As others have stated, stock tune and driving it for a bit will make it pass.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 03:54 AM   #17
thecooltype
drive to survive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540 XI

Quote:
Hey what was the outcome? I have bm3 stage 1 tune only. Does anyone know if this will affect emissions readiness also?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 09:12 AM   #18
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
I have to do this every year for Texas state inspection. As others have stated, stock tune and driving it for a bit will make it pass.
with a catted DP, I assume? I'm also in TX and haven't gone the catted/catless DP route due to the inconvenience of emmissions.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 10:37 PM   #19
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSides View Post
with a catted DP, I assume? I'm also in TX and haven't gone the catted/catless DP route due to the inconvenience of emmissions.
Catted of course. Just make sure to buy a reputable sport cat and to have the sensors checked on whatever tune you choose. Works fine every year for me on Fi sport cat.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 05:27 AM   #20
TheSandman_M2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Your FI sport cat throwing a CEL? 100 or 200 cell?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 09:53 PM   #21
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman_M2 View Post
Your FI sport cat throwing a CEL? 100 or 200 cell?
Never had a CEL or have issues passing yearly inspection. 200 cell.

I should correct my prior statement. Stage 1 or 2 ots tune is not going to make you fail. It's the default setting of the tunes that skip the o2 sensor check as some people do straight pipe. So as long as you turn the sensor check on the tune and you have a passable dp you will pass.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 10:41 AM   #22
djud_M2
Registered
Rep

Same Issue - Failed Inspection

Just went to get an inspection in my M2 and failed with the the same 3 fault codes.

The car is FBO (with a VRSF catless DP), a stage 2 Bootmod3 tune, and upgraded high and low pressure fuel pumps (if that matters).

Would the change the "tune back to stock/OEM settings" route work if I have a catless DP? Wouldn't CEL come on after 30 miles of driving on stock tune w/ catless DP?

If not, would the Mini CAT O2 sensor do the trick with the catless DP left on the car? Really trying to avoid having the stock DP put back on just to pass an inspection..

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by djud_M2; 07-08-2022 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0