BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Thor M Flasher and Bootmod3

02-24-2021, 11:53 PM   #1
Dartz188
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Thor M Flasher and Bootmod3

For anyone who has the Thor M Flasher and Bootmod3, do you notice that whenever you flash the car with Bootmod3, it ends up restarting the Thor flash you have on your car? Honestly, I can't tell if its a placebo affect or not, but I remember a couple weeks ago, I re-flashed my M2 with Bootmod3 and it ended up removing the Thor flash I had on the car. I drove the car for a bit to realize the DCT flash I had on the car was back to stock. I ended up re-flashing the car with Thor and did notice a difference. Anyone else experience this?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 12:04 AM   #2
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Hasn’t happened to me. You’re not flashing the GTS DCT option in BM3, correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 12:15 AM   #3
Dartz188
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Hasn’t happened to me. You’re not flashing the GTS DCT option in BM3, correct?
I actually am at the moment. I wonder if that has to do something with that or it's simply just a placebo affect. Which DCT tune are you running, that is if you are?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 12:25 AM   #4
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

I’ve been running THOR for 9mo and love it.

In that period I’ve flashed BM3 engine maps probably 50 times bc of engine tuning I was doing last year.

I have not and would not flash the BM3 GTS transmission flash on your car. It doesn’t work very good on the M2.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 12:50 AM   #5
Dartz188
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
I've been running THOR for 9mo and love it.

In that period I've flashed BM3 engine maps probably 50 times bc of engine tuning I was doing last year.

I have not and would not flash the BM3 GTS transmission flash on your car. It doesn't work very good on the M2.
Oh no my fault, I read your respond wrong at first. I'm running the GTS flash from Thor, which I agree, is amazing! One of the main reasons I went with Thor is because of the issues people are facing with the BM3 GTS flash and I don't regret it one bit! It really changes the driving dynamics of the car.

Going to test out the car one more time by re-flashing it on the current map it's on from Bootmod3 at the moment and see if the Thor tune persists. Hopefully it's was just a placebo affect before haha
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 04:15 AM   #6
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

I flashed GTS steering with Thor to my car. Now I may have gotten used to the heavier steering (it's significant Vs stock) but at one point felt like it went back to normal.

I then flashed with MHD STAGE 0 and turned off cold start. Then my steering felt heavy again like the car remembered the Thor flash.

Now it feels normal again to me.

I'd mess around flashing it but it's still lockdown so literally no point.
Appreciate 1
Joshd6353.00
      02-25-2021, 04:42 AM   #7
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

I have

N55 ECU - BM3;
EPS, DSC and MDiff control modules settings - Thor M Flasher dynamic pack

In my experience, both operate independent of each other.

It's fair query as I'm considering DCT TCU flash via XHP....

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 08:21 AM   #8
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
I have

N55 ECU - BM3;
EPS, DSC and MDiff control modules settings - Thor M Flasher dynamic pack

In my experience, both operate independent of each other.

It's fair query as I'm considering DCT TCU flash via XHP....
I’d love to be able to set my preferred RPM shift points, like XHP. Just can’t quite justify $500 to switch and gain the one feature I want, tho.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 04:42 PM   #9
Cb17
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT BSM

Yup I’m experiencing the same thing just flashed bm3 stage 1 and right away noticed the steering feel got heavier and shifts were little laggy/more violent.
Went to flash thor again on the car and now app is asking me to pay again and saying that my vin isn’t linked to any licenses or emails so now waiting on them to get back to me to see what’s going on
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 05:01 AM   #10
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

I'm pretty sure the BM3 map flash don't interference with coding.

Evidence being:
1) DCT module is a big file to load and takes much longer time than a map switch. There is no enough time for that with a normal flash attempt.

2) There're many codings done onto my car, including rear light and dashboard. Technically, DCT, EPS and MDM fall into the category of coding. I'm a serious contender for the all time most frequent BM3 map switcher title from 2016-2019 (may I still hold the title to this date LOL). And my coding hasn't been compromised for a single time.

One thing the BM3 flash does every time however, is the clearing of the gearbox adaptation, which is probably what made you feel different.
      04-15-2021, 10:18 AM   #11
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

slightly unrelated question: Thor claims to be able to falsh over enet cable. Rather than pay the 60 or so bucks for the Thor specific wifi adapter, I would prefer to use my enet cable.

Currently, to run to my phone (which I think is how Thor can work over Enet, but I am happy to be educated here), I have an ODBII to RJ45, RJ45 to USB, and USB to lightning cable. However, I am unable to establish a connection using this setup. Any thoughts, is this a fruitless task?

I'm happy to buy the Thor dongle if necessary, but if I can avoid the wait for it to ship that would be nice.

EDIT: Thor reached out to me and gave me the instructions I need, it just requires some setting changes. I will try them out when I am back home from a business trip.

Last edited by CalAcacian; 04-15-2021 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 08:06 PM   #12
Cb17
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT BSM

well i don't have solid evidence to back up my claims.

all i know is i just reflashed the thor Dct gts and dynamics competition and there is a huge difference in not only steering feel but also with the transmission shifts and throttle response especially in sport+ while driving around town low speeds. i'm not sure what the case is but there was definitely a change to both suspension/steering and trans feel.

car doesn't feel bouncy down my street which was feeling bouncy yesterday but to top it off my wife noticed that the car feels more smooth and less jerky then when we went for a ride yesterday
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 12:32 PM   #13
Dartz188
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post
slightly unrelated question: Thor claims to be able to falsh over enet cable. Rather than pay the 60 or so bucks for the Thor specific wifi adapter, I would prefer to use my enet cable.

Currently, to run to my phone (which I think is how Thor can work over Enet, but I am happy to be educated here), I have an ODBII to RJ45, RJ45 to USB, and USB to lightning cable. However, I am unable to establish a connection using this setup. Any thoughts, is this a fruitless task?

I'm happy to buy the Thor dongle if necessary, but if I can avoid the wait for it to ship that would be nice.

EDIT: Thor reached out to me and gave me the instructions I need, it just requires some setting changes. I will try them out when I am back home from a business trip.
I've been flashing mine via the enet cable and a enet to lightening adapter hooked to my iPhone and that's been working fine. You don't necessarily need the Bluetooth adapter, at least from my experience. It is a bit finicky at times where the phone doesn't want to establish the connection but after a few hurdles it works.
Appreciate 0