BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Suvneer (GTS Hood)

07-06-2020, 01:57 PM   #67
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

Based on some back and forth conversations, the shop would like the hood dropped off. Actual response was, "Bring the hood in today if possible, and we will take a good look at it. There is a good chance we can cut and buff out the "nibs. "

Nibs ? Pretty sure that's the least of the problem here. He was then provided a photo (the one with debris embedded). The response was, "The marks on the edge...I'm not sure what it is, but I'm not confident it isn't the packaging". For clarity, we provided a new (clean) moving blanket for transport to and from the body shop. Not sure how just that 1" area got picked up but OK.

Hood is getting dropped off in the morning with all the yellow tape indicators just in case it becomes our fault for not pointing out every single thing they did wrong. If it comes back home with issues it will not go back to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
Overall very poorly prepped for paint. The orange peel comes from inaccurate adjustment of pressure during the paint application process. Ideally, they should be spraying a test panel to match the original texture. The last picture above tells me they either didn't bother to clean or did a very poor job of it. Completely unacceptable, obviously. This cannot be corrected by sanding and buffing. It would need to be sanded and resprayed.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #68
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
Based on some back and forth conversations, the shop would like the hood dropped off. Actual response was, "Bring the hood in today if possible, and we will take a good look at it. There is a good chance we can cut and buff out the "nibs. "

Nibs ? Pretty sure that's the least of the problem here. He was then provided a photo (the one with debris embedded). The response was, "The marks on the edge...I'm not sure what it is, but I'm not confident it isn't the packaging". For clarity, we provided a new (clean) moving blanket for transport to and from the body shop. Not sure how just that 1" area got picked up but OK.
"Nibs" are what dust/dirt particles are called and not the same as fisheye or silicone, wax contaminates. Semantics. Bottom line not up to industry standards. Sometimes wet sanding and buff can make it better but some of the markings look deeper than the sanding would safely allow. You need at least 2 mils of clear coat for it to function as a UV barrier and prevent failure.
Appreciate 2
///Monika186.50
///M TOWN16066.50
      07-06-2020, 02:36 PM   #69
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Many thanks to you for this type of information.

Quote:
"Nibs" are what dust/dirt particles are called and not the same as fisheye or silicone, wax contaminates. Semantics. Bottom line not up to industry standards. Sometimes wet sanding and buff can make it better but some of the markings look deeper than the sanding would safely allow. You need at least 2 mils of clear coat for it to function as a UV barrier and prevent failure.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 10:20 PM   #70
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you're going through this. I know how much the hood coming out proper meant to you, and I also know how much of a dreadful hassle dealing with a shop to fix their mistakes can be.

I've been there a bunch of times. It especially crushes my soul when I'm talking to a shop about having work done and they're like "We have the best in the area. The job will come out perfect. If there are any problems and you're not happy, we will fix it no questions asked" so then I decide to give them a chance - the work ends up being a disaster - and they are assholes refusing to fix it and saying that I expect too much from them... I'm re-living a particularly terrible experience I had with a tint shop last year, as I'm typing this. As well as the BMW dealership ruining my fender, when they had it in to repair from a distracted 19yr old hitting me.

Not everyone is like that though. And I'm happy to have a good paint shop that I've developed a great relationship with over the last 8 years, who generally do a great job but also actually fix any mistakes I point out. So I hope your experience turns out that way and they correct everything for you and you don't have to further the agony with a small claims suit.

How did the color match come out btw?
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16066.50
///Monika186.50
      07-07-2020, 12:36 AM   #71
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Absolutely unreal are they wanting a lawsuit

I'd ask for a refund if they cannot properly repaint your hood

Give them a link to this thread, and tell them the outcome is up to them
      07-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #72
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you Anthony1s, I truly appreciate this post. You have described the very essence of our experience now (independent shop) and in the past with BMW (2 dealerships). We try to do our best to research (reviews, BBB etc.) a reputable local business, we reach out to them and we gauge how well the communication is by their response (or lackthereof). We just haven't found the right place. It's not like this is something we do often or hope to do often but one has to realize the need will eventually present itself. So we're in search of ...

The million dollar question. Did the color match. Well, the hood never had a chance to be placed back on the car. Husband was pissed (me too). We did compare it to the fuel door (and close to the car) and it looks to be a match but one will never know until this issue with the paint defects are addressed and it's actually fitted.

I too hope that both of our situations work out so we can enjoy our cars. Our situation with BMW was horrendous so I truly feel for you. Hidden paint repair at time of sale, having to remove PPF to have them repaint it and then taking it back 3x. The husband finally gave up and just cut and buffed the area himself. Then they damaged our wheel and didn't say a word. Had to fight to have that replaced. The MP exhaust they installed never worked from day one. Had to have my brother in law fix that. These places are such a joke.

Take care of yourself and again, thank you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you're going through this. I know how much the hood coming out proper meant to you, and I also know how much of a dreadful hassle dealing with a shop to fix their mistakes can be.

I've been there a bunch of times. It especially crushes my soul when I'm talking to a shop about having work done and they're like "We have the best in the area. The job will come out perfect. If there are any problems and you're not happy, we will fix it no questions asked" so then I decide to give them a chance - the work ends up being a disaster - and they are assholes refusing to fix it and saying that I expect too much from them... I'm re-living a particularly terrible experience I had with a tint shop last year, as I'm typing this. As well as the BMW dealership ruining my fender, when they had it in to repair from a distracted 19yr old hitting me.

Not everyone is like that though. And I'm happy to have a good paint shop that I've developed a great relationship with over the last 8 years, who generally do a great job but also actually fix any mistakes I point out. So I hope your experience turns out that way and they correct everything for you and you don't have to further the agony with a small claims suit.

How did the color match come out btw?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #73
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Truly. I feel as if we have to (very minimum) allow the establishment to make amends. It's my understanding they haven't been rude (yet) but on the other hand, they haven't apologized for the inconvenience either. If they fail a 2nd time then we're left with no other choice but to recover the property and let them know that we'll proceed to file in small claims court once we have the necessary documentation to support the claim. We'll have to seek another business to assess and provide a quote for correction.

So sorry this thread turned into a paint issue problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Absolutely unreal are they wanting a lawsuit

I'd ask for a refund if they cannot properly repaint your hood

Give them a link to this thread, and tell them the outcome is up to them
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 07:25 PM   #74
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB BMW M2

Gosh that's an awful outcome. I would try to see if they can refund you some of the money for your troubles. Price is not too outlandish though as any really good bodyshop will likely be in that ballpark. You should have received better results than you did though!
I paid $700 for the hood painted in LBB and the vent in gloss black but I feel they did a ton of work on it aside from just paint (sanding it to even out any imperfections, priming, fitment before and after etc). Finally got the PPF on it the other day. Hood with paint and PPF all-in totaled $2100 CAD for those wondering on total pricing of this upgrade.
iPhone camera sucks so it's picking up weird reflections but zero orange peel and perfect match on the metallic nature of the paint.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
gphung193.50
///M TOWN16066.50
Rub1con76202.50
MASHCT613.50
shaneguags1170.00
      07-08-2020, 10:15 PM   #75
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutankhamon View Post
Gosh that's an awful outcome. I would try to see if they can refund you some of the money for your troubles. Price is not too outlandish though as any really good bodyshop will likely be in that ballpark. You should have received better results than you did though!
I paid $700 for the hood painted in LBB and the vent in gloss black but I feel they did a ton of work on it aside from just paint (sanding it to even out any imperfections, priming, fitment before and after etc). Finally got the PPF on it the other day. Hood with paint and PPF all-in totaled $2100 CAD for those wondering on total pricing of this upgrade.
iPhone camera sucks so it's picking up weird reflections but zero orange peel and perfect match on the metallic nature of the paint.
This looks amazing

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:49 AM   #76
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Get a refund and go elsewhere. In my exp. this is (sadly) the best quality this shop can offer. Telling them off is not going to magically improve their skills.

Source: had a paint shop redo my car 8 - 10 times without getting good results. Indeed they damaged more than they fixed.
      07-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #77
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quick update.

Paint shop emailed yesterday and stated hood was ready. My husband basically told them to pack it up before he arrived and he wasn't interested in reviewing their progress. He arrived and the manager gave some super long speech about how he didn't know we wanted a hot rod finish with 6 coats of clear and how the system says to only spray 2 coats etc. He said his painter checked it over, he checked it over, 2 other insignificant souls looked at it giving their worthless blessing. I assume we should interpret this as there's very little to no clear left at this point. Hood came home, we unpacked it last night and it does look better than it did. The blemish (fibers) is gone. The terrible orange peel is almost gone. Almost. We just put it back in the box and opened a bottle of wine. Done !

@tutankhamon, your car looks amazing. I so wish I could have had the hood shipped to your painter, packed and shipped back here to the states. It would be considerably cheaper than running back and forth, litigation, X-Y painters (potentially) etc.

So we have a hood that's maybe 95% there. One area towards the back of the hood that still has a generous amount of orange peel (1" by 20"). Probably 3-4 small (2" by 2") areas that have a dull finish probably from the buffer(?!?). Husband owns 2 Rupes polishers. Anyone think this is worth trying to finish ourselves ??
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 03:01 PM   #78
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Quick update.

Paint shop emailed yesterday and stated hood was ready. My husband basically told them to pack it up before he arrived and he wasn't interested in reviewing their progress. He arrived and the manager gave some super long speech about how he didn't know we wanted a hot rod finish with 6 coats of clear and how the system says to only spray 2 coats etc. He said his painter checked it over, he checked it over, 2 other insignificant souls looked at it giving their worthless blessing. I assume we should interpret this as there's very little to no clear left at this point. Hood came home, we unpacked it last night and it does look better than it did. The blemish (fibers) is gone. The terrible orange peel is almost gone. Almost. We just put it back in the box and opened a bottle of wine. Done !

@tutankhamon, your car looks amazing. I so wish I could have had the hood shipped to your painter, packed and shipped back here to the states. It would be considerably cheaper than running back and forth, litigation, X-Y painters (potentially) etc.

So we have a hood that's maybe 95% there. One area towards the back of the hood that still has a generous amount of orange peel (1" by 20"). Probably 3-4 small (2" by 2") areas that have a dull finish probably from the buffer(?!?). Husband owns 2 Rupes polishers. Anyone think this is worth trying to finish ourselves ??
My suggestions at this point would be to find a solid detailer with this experience. As you said, you do not know how much clear coat remains, so a detailer with access to a micometer would be the way to go.
Appreciate 1
///Monika186.50
      07-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #79
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So after talking last night, it sounds like were just going to take it to another painter. I'll move forward with getting our money back and my husband is going to visit a couple of other paint shops and see about having the hood re-done. So I think this will probably be the last post for some time (until the hood is done correctly) but I do hope that others post their experiences in this thread.

Quote:
My suggestions at this point would be to find a solid detailer with this experience. As you said, you do not know how much clear coat remains, so a detailer with access to a micometer would be the way to go.
Appreciate 1
blitzyo53.00
      07-31-2020, 04:57 PM   #80
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Received my hood today. Shipped across the entire USA and into Canada - no damage noted on initial inspection. Sent it to the body shop to be painted, hopefully have it back end of next week.

Did anyone have issues fitting the plastic vent into the hood itself?
Appreciate 1
StephGOD218.50
      07-31-2020, 05:23 PM   #81
StephGOD
KYHOMPB
United_States
Rep
Drives: Only BMW's Ja

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
2017 M3 Comp  [0.00]
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
Received my hood today. Shipped across the entire USA and into Canada - no damage noted on initial inspection. Sent it to the body shop to be painted, hopefully have it back end of next week.

We need some photos and feedback on the fitment once it's installed! This will hopefully be one of my next mods here shortly and I have BSM too
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50
      08-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #82
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes we did. Facing the front of the hood, the top two tabs weren't grabbing. Takes a bit of trial and error to get it to attach fully but they will.

Quote:
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50
      08-02-2020, 06:47 PM   #83
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephGOD View Post
We need some photos and feedback on the fitment once it's installed! This will hopefully be one of my next mods here shortly and I have BSM too
Sure thing! Hopefully next weekend I'll be able to take some good photos assuming I get the hood back by Friday.

Quote:
Yes we did. Facing the front of the hood, the top two tabs weren't grabbing. Takes a bit of trial and error to get it to attach fully but they will.
Perfect, thank you for the information. When I dropped off the hood and vent to the body shop he was a little weary of the fitment of the vent after looking at it very briefly. Here's hoping he's able to get it attached.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #84
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
So disappointing to pay top dollar and receive substandard service. I wonder how businesses like that stay open? At least the hood will look great once the paint is done. I wanted to stop adding more money into my M2 but seeing the hood on LBB is making me say treat yo self.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16066.50
      08-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #85
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Has anyone done a weight comparison yet? Would be really interested in the saving versus stock and versus the carbon variants and M2CS hood.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 06:49 PM   #86
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Got mine installed. Fitment is a solid 95% honestly. This is me being SUPER picky - and for the price, it's 100% the best hood you can buy and I would not hesitate to buy another product from this company.

I only have cell phone pics of the hood installed, check out my post on Instagram here for the photos:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDpbDROg-dv/

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotxERAU View Post
Has anyone done a weight comparison yet? Would be really interested in the saving versus stock and versus the carbon variants and M2CS hood.
Suvneer states their hood weighs 27 lbs. I never actually weighed their hood, was too giddy to install it.

I did however weigh the factory hood and it rang in at 50 lbs lol. So approximately 25 lb weight loss!

Last edited by Endeav; 08-09-2020 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 2
StephGOD218.50
///M TOWN16066.50
      08-10-2020, 10:29 AM   #87
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Here's a non-cell phone photo of the hood on my M2!

Last edited by Endeav; 08-11-2020 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 10
JTO245271.50
gphung193.50
StephGOD218.50
///M TOWN16066.50
Rub1con76202.50
MASHCT613.50
specka71.00
shaneguags1170.00
IM2C2066.50
      08-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #88
ae03440
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18' M2 & 20' X3 M40i

Quote:
Here's a non-cell phone photo of the hood on my M2!

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Looks great!! Interested to see a few more pics up close when you have some time. This is def my next mod. Love it! Just gave you a follow as well!
Appreciate 0