BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA > Who has done open lapping at Vancouver Island track?

07-31-2020, 07:26 AM   #1
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Who has done open lapping at Vancouver Island track?

How was it? Well organized? Chaotic? Did you buy insurance?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 08:40 PM   #2
SquamM2C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmws m2c

Its a really fun track in the M2C, had a lot of fun. Mostly 2nd and 3 Gear. it is a narrow track, so they designate 3 of the straights for passing. Definitely worth the trip over to the island. I didn't get insurance, but if you don't own your car i would recommend making sure you are covered.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 11:03 PM   #3
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquamM2C View Post
Its a really fun track in the M2C, had a lot of fun. Mostly 2nd and 3 Gear. it is a narrow track, so they designate 3 of the straights for passing. Definitely worth the trip over to the island. I didn't get insurance, but if you don't own your car i would recommend making sure you are covered.
Cool, thanks. I don't mind tight and twisty. I just want something a bit more interesting than Mission
I think I'm gonna do September 29th.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:59 PM   #4
bornyesterday
Private
Rep
Drives: F82, E92

I didn't know there was insurance, lots of turns for a small track, I found it easy on the brakes, and a great facility, well organized and nice folks. Maybe see you there on the 29th!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 04:30 PM   #5
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1lee View Post
I didn't know there was insurance, lots of turns for a small track, I found it easy on the brakes, and a great facility, well organized and nice folks. Maybe see you there on the 29th!
Cool! I'm 95% sure to go. The Mission track is the opposite. Only 9 turns, low speed but very hard on brakes.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #6
Atomicflow
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Hockenheim M2C

I've been out 3 times now in my M2C - great track, it's small but very technical. Each of the events I've been to have been extremely well-run and well-organized. Two of the events were with Speed Fanatics out of Vancouver. The local VIMC staff are all friendly, knowledgable, and professional.

The track paddock itself is world class, with a bar, espresso, viewing deck etc - although w COVID they are still on lockdown last time I was there so you could only access the washrooms. It's a great facility.

I did many track days in Toronto area on bigger tracks, and they are great as well, but something to be said for a tight twisty track like VIMC which has tons of corners and elevation in a small footprint. Also - common belief over here that it's only a matter of time before they finally get approval for expanding the track into a full GP style circuit which will be incredible.

The run group format is run like most other track days I've been to, generally Novice, Intermediate, Advanced with various options to go between groups depending on experience level and observation from the staff.

If you've never done a track day before, it is without a doubt the most fun you will have with your car and, in my experience, much safer than travelling to/from your place of work... go with respect and the desire to learn how to improve your car control and driving skill and you will come away with a smile that lasts all weekend.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 11:12 PM   #7
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicflow View Post
I've been out 3 times now in my M2C - great track, it's small but very technical. Each of the events I've been to have been extremely well-run and well-organized. Two of the events were with Speed Fanatics out of Vancouver. The local VIMC staff are all friendly, knowledgable, and professional.

The track paddock itself is world class, with a bar, espresso, viewing deck etc - although w COVID they are still on lockdown last time I was there so you could only access the washrooms. It's a great facility.

I did many track days in Toronto area on bigger tracks, and they are great as well, but something to be said for a tight twisty track like VIMC which has tons of corners and elevation in a small footprint. Also - common belief over here that it's only a matter of time before they finally get approval for expanding the track into a full GP style circuit which will be incredible.

The run group format is run like most other track days I've been to, generally Novice, Intermediate, Advanced with various options to go between groups depending on experience level and observation from the staff.

If you've never done a track day before, it is without a doubt the most fun you will have with your car and, in my experience, much safer than travelling to/from your place of work... go with respect and the desire to learn how to improve your car control and driving skill and you will come away with a smile that lasts all weekend.
Great info, thank you. I'm booked for the 30th but there is only 4 of us signed up so far. I hope some people cancel tomorrow and move to next week as we need 10 for the event to happen.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #8
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

Epic fun. Yes, the track is small, I don't think you get to go faster than 160kmh, but the elevation changes are awesome.

Adrian, I tried to look for your username but can't find anything.

Anyway, here is a short video of your car on the track -

And some photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/VbtUa9poaSognhnV9

Last edited by mr_lab_rat; 10-02-2020 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0