BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > THE ULTIMATE Intercooler Thread - What to Look For Before Buying an FMIC

10-02-2023, 10:39 PM   #1167
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
Since my ATM IC would not fit with my Evolution Racewerks charge and TIC pipes, I decided to shell out the extra $$$ for their Type 3 anodized IC that's got a 650hp core. I spoke extensively with Fred, the owner of ER, about this because I needed to be sure that his IC will be good for my Pure Stage 2 & TTFS/XDI setup. I've attached some pictures for your viewing pleasure.
so that black plastic pc with an "M2" is the shroud that redirects the flow into the top portion of the FMIC? That's stock? if so then I guess that was really meant to redirect the flow to the radiator coz the stock FMIC is just way down low (short).

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1552146561
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 10:44 PM   #1168
c0riolis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
so that black plastic pc with an "M2" is the shroud that redirects the flow into the top portion of the FMIC?
I assume it does that, yes. The FMIC is much closer to it than with the stock setup though so it might disturb the airflow a bit. Either way, I am fairly confident that things are better with it than without it.

Quote:
That's stock? if so then I guess that was really meant to redirect the flow to the radiator coz the stock FMIC is just way down low (short).
Yes, it is stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 11:04 PM   #1169
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

That shroud most likely sits directly on top of the stock IC. Without anything to sit on top of, I wonder if it flaps and vibrates at highway speed.

are you happy w/ the performance of the ER?
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 11:32 PM   #1170
c0riolis
Private
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if it flaps and vibrates at highway speed.
I do not think so, it's pretty well attached.

Quote:
are you happy w/ the performance of the ER?
I am still in the middle of installing it, everything is off but I found that a bracket was broken [1] so I am waiting on the part before putting everything back together with the ER FMIC.

So I cannot tell you how it performs but the fit and finish of the entire kit is top notch.

[1]: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=41
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 02:31 PM   #1171
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
so that black plastic pc with an "M2" is the shroud that redirects the flow into the top portion of the FMIC? That's stock? if so then I guess that was really meant to redirect the flow to the radiator coz the stock FMIC is just way down low (short).

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1552146561
Correct, it's for the radiator, not the intercooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0riolis View Post
I assume it does that, yes. The FMIC is much closer to it than with the stock setup though so it might disturb the airflow a bit. Either way, I am fairly confident that things are better with it than without it.

Yes, it is stock.
I don't know about that - it was spaced out for the radiator, but the ER intercooler sits closer and occupies most of that space. On my car - there isn't really any way ducting could work without blocking the top half of the intercooler.
      10-03-2023, 03:03 PM   #1172
c0riolis
Private
Rep

I messaged Fred from ER to ask about this and will follow up once I get a reply.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 07:07 PM   #1173
c0riolis
Private
Rep

Here is what Fred said:

Quote:
Typically #2 in the diagram is removed. You can reinstall it but I believe you need to trim it to fit.

It helps so trimming it to fit would be ideal. However, the difference is very small and possibly insignificant so removing it isn’t a big issue either.
So I guess either way works but I'll probably try to fit it.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 10:42 PM   #1174
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Yeah I personally would likely also try to keep that pc that scoops some air into the back of the bumper. Seems to make sense, even though could be "insignificant".
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 01:48 PM   #1175
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

How much better performance does the VRSF race provide over their 6.5 comp?

Considering following M2guru in swapping from CSF to VRSF and in deciding if the extra bs involved in the Race is worth the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 02:31 PM   #1176
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
How much better performance does the VRSF race provide over their 6.5 comp?

Considering following M2guru in swapping from CSF to VRSF and in deciding if the extra bs involved in the Race is worth the hassle.
The Comp has the race fin pack and depth, but is about the size of the 5" version (a little thicker as said as above)

The Race is better - the frontal surface area does all the heavy lifting when it comes to cooling.
      11-03-2023, 04:24 AM   #1177
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
The Comp has the race fin pack and depth, but is about the size of the 5" version (a little thicker as said as above)

The Race is better - the frontal surface area does all the heavy lifting when it comes to cooling.
On the VRSF website, the "race" isn't listed as for the M2. I assume it's a bit of a custom fit? Piping, too, or just the brace? Maybe I missed that somewhere in all the posts. I may consider that one instead...hmmm...

Last edited by M2guru; 11-03-2023 at 04:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 07:09 AM   #1178
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
On the VRSF website, the "race" isn't listed as for the M2. I assume it's a bit of a custom fit? Piping, too, or just the brace? Maybe I missed that somewhere in all the posts. I may consider that one instead...hmmm...
Yeah, see your thread in the track section - it will require the M235i V brace (about $50)
      11-03-2023, 07:53 AM   #1179
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Yeah, see your thread in the track section - it will require the M235i V brace (about $50)
And the current question is if the additional blockage of the radiator by the bigger ICs significantly impacts the cooling ability of the radiator for track use... Maybe I should start a gofundme so I could buy them both and then run them back to back and share the results... :-)

I think what I will do is just run the 6.5" for a while to get data and if I feel like it's not cooling the IAT enough then make the move to the race. My purchase of coilovers keeps getting pushed back every year... :-(
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 08:14 AM   #1180
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
And the current question is if the additional blockage of the radiator by the bigger ICs significantly impacts the cooling ability of the radiator for track use... Maybe I should start a gofundme so I could buy them both and then run them back to back and share the results... :-)

I think what I will do is just run the 6.5" for a while to get data and if I feel like it's not cooling the IAT enough then make the move to the race. My purchase of coilovers keeps getting pushed back every year... :-(
The VRSF is like an inch taller than the CSF - the same height as the ER. I don’t believe there is any impact to the cooling system, but I’ll watch your progress closely.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if the cooling increase is just marginal over the CSF though, as the comp isn’t as tall - it may be a tight squeeze and require you to use washers to space out the brace (just eyeballing it)

I’d support a go fund me - love data
Appreciate 0