BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bad News for the Tuning Community?

12-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #111
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInNewMexico View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Somewhat related video on Tesla's new modification detection after software update:
Louis has an excellent youtube channel. He is a really good tech and has great insight. Thanks for posting.
You're welcome. And he's very insightful indeed but I just hate how he now has such a dystopian view of NYC's current state of affairs. Come on now, this city always rebounds, that's kind of it's thing..

Other than that, how he exposes Apple's flaws is total genius, so I guess you gotta take the good with the bad..
Appreciate 2
Tag18150.50
      12-16-2020, 11:44 PM   #112
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
I wanted to delete the OPF , and have ordered the AA midpipe . My M2CS production was in June . So we went bench unlocking and it worked ! We deleted the opf sensors , and yes just that , didnt needed more performance gains etc. so when i ll go to the dealership , and they plug their tools etc , will my "tune" reset ? Will i have engine light because of midpipe? Or should i tell them no updates?
      12-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #113
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2

I'm dropping my car at the shop Monday to see if me DME can be modified.

Have a stupid question though, assuming the DME is locked, could you just purchase/replace the locked DME with an earlier version. Would it be a simple plug and play?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #114
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny01 View Post
I'm dropping my car at the shop Monday to see if me DME can be modified.

Have a stupid question though, assuming the DME is locked, could you just purchase/replace the locked DME with an earlier version. Would it be a simple plug and play?
Just curious...what is the build date of your '21? It should be located on the door jamb sticker. Mine is August '21 so I'm interested as to what you find out.

As far as changing DME's I'm no expert but know enough that it is more involved than just plug & play and would void your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 09:29 AM   #115
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep

I don't have the car with me. She's been seconded at the shop this week getting tint, PPF, and ceramic.

I'll let you know tomorrow when I get her back.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 12:02 PM   #116
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

So we don't know what the cut off date is? Just anything before June 21st works, but anything after is unknown?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #117
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
So we don't know what the cut off date is? Just anything before June 21st works, but anything after is unknown?
Mostly wishful thinking. But one question I have is whether this applies to the S55 engine. A report that I saw somewhere only talked about the new S58, not older designs like the S55. I'm holding out hope.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 03:31 PM   #118
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
TAG, some of these folks (armchair IT guys) think that "eventually" there will be a solution. Please explain if that's actually likely.
Anything is likely, I think the real question is how likely. I'd say very unlikely unless a vulnerability is discovered to circumvent BOSCH's low level security implementation (don't hold your breath). To really understand this you need to take a step back, comparing this to computers or mobile devices is apples to oranges. Computer and mobile devices have multiple levels in which they can be hacked. The subsystem, OS, network, etc. all have holes so the opportunities to hack them are much greater. They are also ubiquitous and so many people have access to them to try to hack them. There's an incentive as well with the majority of people using them. That's why for instance most malware is aimed at Windows instead of Linux, maximum bang for your effort.

Now let's look at the BMW ECU. It's a closed system, it's not directly connected to a network, the OS is not easily accessible to multiple sources for hacking and is constantly being updated (secured), the subsystems are outsourced to BOSCH who've implemented security locks which even BMW needs to use a proprietary system provided to them by BOSCH to access.

And for what it's worth I've worked in IT for 27yrs and have done everything from systems, security, networking, virtualization, etc. So would I ever say something is not hackable? No, of course not, but I will go on record and say this is really really hard to crack and if it is eventually cracked it probably won't be for years at which point most would have a new car by then.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2020, 07:06 PM   #119
Roo18
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Does anybody know if remapping the ECU is mandatory on installation of the AA equal length mid pipe? I have a 2021 M2C so I'm not sure what my options are for aftermarket parts if they require additional tuning.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 08:51 PM   #120
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo18 View Post
Does anybody know if remapping the ECU is mandatory on installation of the AA equal length mid pipe? I have a 2021 M2C so I'm not sure what my options are for aftermarket parts if they require additional tuning.
If you get downpipes you might need to disable the errors but I don't think the midpipe would cause a problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 09:53 PM   #121
Roo18
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
If you get downpipes you might need to disable the errors but I don't think the midpipe would cause a problem.
Got it, thanks. I thought it might based on Akra's notice that comes with the evolution link pipe set. Though I understand that's a different system. I'm looking at the Akra slip-on w/ the AA equal length but concerned about running into any errors I can't fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 01:34 AM   #122
cpxchewy
Monkey
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Got it, thanks. I thought it might based on Akra's notice that comes with the evolution link pipe set. Though I understand that's a different system. I'm looking at the Akra slip-on w/ the AA equal length but concerned about running into any errors I can't fix.
Midpipe change will cause CEL if you have opf sensors. Since I'm guessing you're in the states it shouldn't cause any problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 02:42 AM   #123
M2COD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Glad you asked this, because I'm in the same boat. Going to change the midpipe first and see what it sounds like before deciding on an axleback, but it seems anything downstream of the cats shouldn't throw an error. I assume the stock ECU has enough flexibility to handle the slight fueling adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 06:29 PM   #124
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo 335i View Post
Just curious...what is the build date of your '21? It should be located on the door jamb sticker. Mine is August '21 so I'm interested as to what you find out.

As far as changing DME's I'm no expert but know enough that it is more involved than just plug & play and would void your warranty.
Just got her back. Same as yours, August 2020. I may have to delay the car drop off, but I should know if my DME is hackable before next week is out.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2020, 09:19 PM   #125
jdubm2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2COD View Post
Glad you asked this, because I'm in the same boat. Going to change the midpipe first and see what it sounds like before deciding on an axleback, but it seems anything downstream of the cats shouldn't throw an error. I assume the stock ECU has enough flexibility to handle the slight fueling adjustment.
You are correct. No errors with new mid-pipe. Deletes secondary cats and resonator, which are not monitored.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 03:08 AM   #126
kimbow
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition 2020

To get round the locked DME we have fitted a previously owned Burger Motorsport tuning box for the time being and it makes a lot of difference! Power is much stronger in mid range and the car pulls like a train. Also going to fit AK motion data display performance gauge so we can then fit downpipes and Akra mid section. This fools the ECU and doesnt throw any lights on dash or go into limp mode. Already got Akra rear box on. This whole set up transforms the car and is a great mod. Got the gauge and tuning box for £1000 fitted, well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 07:11 AM   #127
Rob495
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 Manual M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny01 View Post
Just got her back. Same as yours, August 2020. I may have to delay the car drop off, but I should know if my DME is hackable before next week is out.
Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 06:25 PM   #128
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob495 View Post
Any updates?
The holidays got away from me. Too much going on the past couple weeks and didn’t want to drive out to the shop and be with out my car for the day.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 10:03 AM   #129
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Interesting topic, I never really spotted it initially until I put it on my task list to read the last few days.

Let's recap what I heard after I spoke with an engineer internally. The reason the lock was done we all know, but Bosch has given a life time warranty on the encryption. They are saying it can't be broken. Bold statement...

Around the 21st of June seems to be the point that new ECUs went into the cars which are blocked. This is about right, yes.... This means every single M2C or M2CS, but not only those, also MINI's, Supra's and any other BMW are affected. The first M5C which had the problem dropped by my radar in August!

So if you have a July production slot or later, your car will be locked, and it won't be unlocked for months or maybe even more. God knows when this problem is solved, but at this moment there is no solution and no solution expected any time soon.

If you have a car on order and you want to tune, it's simply not gonna happen, even an ECU swap might be a difficult one. Perhaps not impossible though, but I wonder if that will be an easy 1-2-3.

Car's without OPF can replace their exhausts for full cat-back systems. Car's with OPF can't, because there is no proper solution that works. If you want to remove your cats in your downpipe and go catless, then see if you can find a solution in the form of an Awron display or any other CAN-based Delete-R box.

Software tuning is out of the window. Just be aware when you buy a M2C/CS from stock and ask for the production date. I would ask for a nice discount if it is a later date.... Still 25-30% off should be possible soon on M2C/CS models that are glued to showroom floors.

MR

Last edited by MR.; 01-07-2021 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 2
msdss497.50
      01-08-2021, 07:56 AM   #130
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Interesting topic, I never really spotted it initially until I put it on my task list to read the last few days.

Let's recap what I heard after I spoke with an engineer internally. The reason the lock was done we all know, but Bosch has given a life time warranty on the encryption. They are saying it can't be broken. Bold statement...

Around the 21st of June seems to be the point that new ECUs went into the cars which are blocked. This is about right, yes.... This means every single M2C or M2CS, but not only those, also MINI's, Supra's and any other BMW are affected. The first M5C which had the problem dropped by my radar in August!

So if you have a July production slot or later, your car will be locked, and it won't be unlocked for months or maybe even more. God knows when this problem is solved, but at this moment there is no solution and no solution expected any time soon.

If you have a car on order and you want to tune, it's simply not gonna happen, even an ECU swap might be a difficult one. Perhaps not impossible though, but I wonder if that will be an easy 1-2-3.

Car's without OPF can replace their exhausts for full cat-back systems. Car's with OPF can't, because there is no proper solution that works. If you want to remove your cats in your downpipe and go catless, then see if you can find a solution in the form of an Awron display or any other CAN-based Delete-R box.

Software tuning is out of the window. Just be aware when you buy a M2C/CS from stock and ask for the production date. I would ask for a nice discount if it is a later date.... Still 25-30% off should be possible soon on M2C/CS models that are glued to showroom floors.

MR
Not too sure the July production date statement is accurate. There are already CS's in the wild that have been tuned ok and produced after that. It depends on the production date of the ECU, not the car itself. An older car could have landed with a newer ECU and vice versa. I haven't actually seen anyone with either an M2C or M2CS claim their ECU has been locked... so it may be the Leipzig plant hasn't been using the newer ECUs yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 08:27 AM   #131
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

I'm sure it's been covered somewhere in the last 6 pages but maybe someone could restate. Is it possible a 2020 car could go into the dealership for whatever maintenance and come out with updated software that makes it become not bench tunable?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 09:09 AM   #132
M2C_PLUS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
I'm sure it's been covered somewhere in the last 6 pages but maybe someone could restate. Is it possible a 2020 car could go into the dealership for whatever maintenance and come out with updated software that makes it become not bench tunable?
Simply put, NO.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
robertm449.50
msdss497.50
ebisu81079.50