M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Wheels and TPMS

02-16-2020, 07:04 AM   #23
Noel911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 2019 Golf R (Daily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomzoommo View Post

Given the above, I think I’m gonna hold off on the sensors.

I reached that conclusion too after thinking about my experience driving my old 1980 911SC track car and E46 M3 street car for the past 20 years on the track. I only knew what tire pressures were when I started a session and depended on my senses to let me know if I was losing pressure. It's interesting how this new technology instills anxiety with these decision (Myself included). I simply went back to my experience and use that...along with a good tire gauge.
Plus it saved me $180 by not having to buy tire pressure gauges.

Good luck!
      03-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #24
Zoomzoommo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Update. Mounted the new Apex wheels w/o TPMS a few days ago. Car gives me the TPMS error message, yet I still have full functionality of the various modes. Ready for the track on Saturday/Sunday. Weather forecast not ideal, but I’m ready!
Appreciate 3
CrashFL136.50
StephGOD218.50
ddnmkun153.50
      03-13-2020, 02:50 PM   #25
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Quote:
Update. Mounted the new Apex wheels w/o TPMS a few days ago. Car gives me the TPMS error message, yet I still have full functionality of the various modes. Ready for the track on Saturday/Sunday. Weather forecast not ideal, but I’m ready!
Nice! Good info... I think that's the way to go
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 10:17 PM   #26
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Thanks for the note.

Just to be crystal clear though, you can turn off all electronics and they stay off without the TPMS?

I don't care about a dash light but run with DTC off or whatever setting has all electronics off with a long press of the DTC button.

Will be mounting new rubber in a few weeks so appreciate your clarification. Thanks.
      03-21-2020, 11:36 PM   #27
Zoomzoommo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Full off, no issues changing settings! Just the annoying tpms message when I start the car.
Appreciate 1
dvas515.00
      03-22-2020, 08:45 AM   #28
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I don’t know the exact years, but if you do this with some M2’s the car will drop out of DSC Off mode after some time and go into Comfort mode.

I’ve experienced this myself.

Unless you’re running slicks and want some super low starting pressures, I’m not sure why using TPMS is a problem. Just reset it before you go out.

And, it gives much more accurate info for hot lap pressure adjustments than using a gauge back in the paddock after the rears have cooled off and the front brakes have heat soaked the tires.

Plus, if you decide to go GT3 hunting, you’re able to check the temp of your front outer tire to see when it’s about to start greasing up. That GT3 is just going to get away from us anyways, but we try.

Last edited by ZM2; 03-22-2020 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #29
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
I don’t know the exact years, but if you do this with some M2’s the car will drop out of DSC Off mode after some time and go into Comfort mode.

Unless you’re running slicks and want some super low starting pressures, I’m not sure why using TPMS is a problem. Just reset it before you go out.

And, it gives much more accurate info for hot lap pressure adjustments than using a gauge back in the paddock after the rears have cooled off and the front brakes have heat soaked the tires.

Plus, if you decide to go GT3 hunting, you’re able to check the temp of your front outer tire to see when it’s about to start greasing up. That GT3 is just going to get away from us anyways, but we try.
+1

I've found the factory TPMS to be an extremely useful feature to have while driving at the track
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #30
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

My issue is that to get to around 34 hot, I need to start at around 24 - 26 cold. I usually successfully reset the system prior to the first session but then the tire temps typically dip too low again requiring a reset, especially when it's cooler out. And I don't always have time to reset it again in between students. Also, I feel like a tool driving in circles in the paddock trying to get the system reset. Would be much easier to just completely avoid the problem.
Appreciate 1
CrashFL136.50
      03-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #31
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
My issue is that to get to around 34 hot, I need to start at around 24 - 26 cold. I usually successfully reset the system prior to the first session but then the tire temps typically dip too low again requiring a reset, especially when it's cooler out. And I don't always have time to reset it again in between students. Also, I feel like a tool driving in circles in the paddock trying to get the system reset. Would be much easier to just completely avoid the problem.
I reset mine in the pits before I roll onto the track and the reset is done in a couple laps, no need to do it in the paddock.

I used to see 10psi gains from cold to hot which would give me trouble with certain tires bc the lowest you can start with TPMS is 26-27psi, but since I’ve added the AP fronts and Porsche ducts my tire temps & pressures don’t increase as much, so no issues with TPMS.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #32
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I reset mine in the pits before I roll onto the track and the reset is done in a couple laps, no need to do it in the paddock.

I used to see 10psi gains from cold to hot which would give me trouble with certain tires bc the lowest you can start with TPMS is 26-27psi, but since I’ve added the AP fronts and Porsche ducts my tire temps & pressures don’t increase as much, so no issues with TPMS.
Yeah, I've attempted resetting on track but it doesn't always work...which frustrates me to no end.

I'm running with custom cooling ducts but stock brake calipers. I still see a pretty large discrepancy between cold and hot pressures.
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      04-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #33
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

I have a second set of OEM wheels with TPMS (came from US) that I want to use for track duties but my car is Canadian and as wheel speed sensor TPMS, anybody knows if I can code it in or is there hardware missing ?
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0