BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M Performance Coilovers - Insights from Dinan

02-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
Bill in Marin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp, 1974 Alfa GTV

M Performance Coilovers - Insights from Dinan

So I dropped my car off at Carbahn to get my M Perf coilovers installed, and just got a call from the master himself, Steve Dinan. He had some interesting insights on the MP coil overs that I thought everyone might appreciate:

- The bump stops are designed for stock ride height. In his words 'It's the most german thing ever'. BMW has determined that the stock ride height is the right height, so these coilovers are designed to run at stock ride height.
- He indicated that they could install their own bumpstops to allow for a larger drop ~1 inch. He also complimented the quality of the units.

I ended up going for a 0.5 inch drop with the original bumpstops, and will revisit after a few track days.

This is all a little bit meta for me, as my only other BMW ever was an E36 M3 that I bought off the lot in 95. I bought every part Dinan made for that car, including one of the first supercharger kits and loved it. I've been a Dinan fan ever since, but never had another BMW until now.
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      02-12-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Front struts on mine had lots of room for spring/damper compression.

Rears - agreed - inadequate rear clearance hence why 10mm cut off them when it was being setup by Center Gravity...see my thread below

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...center+gravity
      02-12-2020, 12:20 PM   #3
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Now, I didn't try that. It would explain why its such a pain over bolt-down speed humps

Project for the weekend...
Appreciate 0