BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Badged or unbadged?

05-06-2019, 02:19 AM   #1
Captaincookie
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 competition

Badged or unbadged?

Question...
I'm in Germany right now and notice a LOT of unbadged BMW's.
I had requested that my M2C be delivered unbadged also, (build date June 5th) and was told they would/could unbadge it at the dealership. ( Remove by heating? Yikes!!)
Has anyone else had this done prior to ED delivery time? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks for any input. Production date fast approaching
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:34 AM   #2
aftercompletion
Break My Window
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Would not unbadge if the car is going to be driven in the states.

Has very different connotations in europe than it does in the states; in europe people assume you're going for a stealth/clean look, but in the states people assume you are trying to conceal the trim level of your car (unbadged 428s etc)
Appreciate 3
      05-06-2019, 04:47 AM   #3
Captaincookie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftercompletion View Post

Has very different connotations in europe than it does in the states; in europe people assume you're going for a stealth/clean look, but in the states people assume you are trying to conceal the trim level of your car (unbadged 428s etc)
Thank you for the reply.
I actually like the unbadged look BECAUSE it is cleaner AND makes the model less obvious.
I feel there are enough visual cues for an enthusiast to discern the model.

My question really was, as group of BMW owners do you have a preference?
Perhaps it's just my European heritage😂👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 05:18 AM   #4
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincookie View Post
Thank you for the reply.
I actually like the unbadged look BECAUSE it is cleaner AND makes the model less obvious.

Perhaps it's just my European heritage
I say if you like the look, go for it! I'm a fan of the cleaner look as well. I never debadged my 235, largely because I didn't want anyone to think that I was trying to pretend that it was an M2... I will probably debadged my M2 when I switch though, especially if it's MG or AW.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
Captaincookie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmarc View Post
Quote:
Thank you for the reply.

I say if you like the look, go for it! I'm a fan of the cleaner look as well. I never debadged my 235, largely because I didn't want anyone to think that I was trying to pretend that it was an M2... I will probably debadged my M2 when I switch though, especially if it's MG or AW.
Thanks again.
I'm going to stay with the clean look too...

Hoping it can be delivered in Germany that way and not debadged at the dealership 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:30 PM   #6
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for the reply.

Thanks again.

Hoping it can be delivered in Germany that way and not debadged at the dealership 👍🏻
Cannot be delivered debadged for ED. You can remove it yourself after pickup. But you maybe have issues at US customs on reentry. Just debadge it when you get back home in the US.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #7
BostonM235xi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235xi

De-Badge 👍🏻
      05-06-2019, 11:41 PM   #8
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

The rear Comp badge fell off mine the first week. It was just some double sided tape. I did help it, but half it was already lifted up.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 02:35 AM   #9
Captaincookie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonM235xi View Post
De-Badge 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 02:35 AM   #10
Captaincookie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
The rear Comp badge fell off mine the first week. It was just some double sided tape. I did help it, but half it was already lifted up.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 02:36 AM   #11
Captaincookie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for the reply.

Thanks again.

Cannot be delivered debadged for ED. You can remove it yourself after pickup. But you maybe have issues at US customs on reentry. Just debadge it when you get back home in the US.
Thanks for the Info. The thought had crossed my mind! Looks like I'll be waiting👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #12
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Once upon a time you could order debadging as an official option in the US (e.g., the E39 M5), but no longer.

Personally, I wouldn't let the dealer do it, as I'd be nervous that they would scratch the car. It's easy enough to do yourself. Since the emblem is new, you may not have to soften the adhesive but you can do so with a hair dryer. Then get some fishing line and slide it under the emblem, removing it. Put some Goo-Gone on the remaining adhesive. If there is a lot of adhesive left you may need to use a plastic trim remover to scrape it off. Otherwise, just wipe the remaining adhesive off with a microfiber towel after it has softened. Clean and polish the area, apply your sealant and you're done.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2019, 08:32 AM   #13
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:

I just got back from Germany and my wife and I were wondering about the debadging of all the cars there. Is it just a cosmetic thing people do or do a lot of cars come without badges? It seemed like a lot of "regular" cars didn't have badges but it appeared to be mostly the German brands and not so much with other brands. Just curious...
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #14
Captaincookie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Once upon a time you could order debadging as an official option in the US (e.g., the E39 M5), but no longer.

Personally, I wouldn't let the dealer do it, as I'd be nervous that they would scratch the car. It's easy enough to do yourself. Since the emblem is new, you may not have to soften the adhesive but you can do so with a hair dryer. Then get some fishing line and slide it under the emblem, removing it. Put some Goo-Gone on the remaining adhesive. If there is a lot of adhesive left you may need to use a plastic trim remover to scrape it off. Otherwise, just wipe the remaining adhesive off with a microfiber towel after it has softened. Clean and polish the area, apply your sealant and you're done.
Quote:
Thanks,
I appreciate the information 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #15
Captaincookie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Economatic View Post
Quote:

I just got back from Germany and my wife and I were wondering about the debadging of all the cars there. Is it just a cosmetic thing people do or do a lot of cars come without badges? It seemed like a lot of "regular" cars didn't have badges but it appeared to be mostly the German brands and not so much with other brands. Just curious...
Quote:
It is VERY noticeable. I'm thinking it's a European thing...
I've been here 3 weeks and so many of the German cars are clean.
I really like the look👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #16
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I've never debadged a car ever. I feel if you are attempting to conceal model of car you are driving then you bought the wrong car. I suppose I can understand the clean look if you are driving a car heavy with badges but the M2 in particular car has one little badge. Golf R's for example have no badges outside of a simple "R" and some people still debadge them. If that's considered making a car any cleaner it's extremely marginal as I feel it's more of a thing for the type of person that thinks it's cool to have a tow hook strap hanging on the front of their car or it's for people that purchased a lower level model and are trying to conceal that. At the end of the day it's all about personal preference and what you like so I try not to judge, but I can still have an opinion.

Last edited by heavyD^2; 06-12-2019 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #17
Sellotape
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C, GLS

Quote:
It is VERY noticeable. I'm thinking it's a European thing...
I've been here 3 weeks and so many of the German cars are clean.
I really like the look👍🏻
I remember this being very popular for lower end cars in a model range. e.g. - BMW 316s, MB C180s etc.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #18
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Debadging is real simple. The M2 and Comp badge are held on by double side tape. Just use dental floss to take the badges off. Then use windex or something like that to remove the left over tape.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #19
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
I'm also in the same camp for de-badging. I think it's cool. Who really tries to front a 'higher' model car by de-badging. I think it just looks clean.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2019, 12:16 AM   #20
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post

https://www.autogeek.net/3m-adhesive-cleaner.html
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #21
Captaincookie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
I'm also in the same camp for de-badging. I think it's cool. Who really tries to front a 'higher' model car by de-badging. I think it just looks clean.
Agreed. It's coming off👍🏻
Appreciate 1
Brandt51839.50
      06-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #22
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

I probably won't debadge my M2C because it is pretty clean from the start--just a single black "M2 Competition" emblem. Can't say the same for other cars though.

My STi got a partial debadge within a couple hours of taking it home. That trunk was a busy mess with all kinds of pointless silver badges and after I was done it only had the STi left. I did the same when my wife got an FJ Cruiser a few years back. I think I mostly don't like the silver badges but black ones like on our 4Runner are OK.
Appreciate 2