BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW M2 totaled after hooning at car meet

07-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #199
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

No brakes could have prevented this, lets be realistic.
Appreciate 2
Spa2k1193.00
      07-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #200
Arcanum-UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i on Order

Carbon ceramics resist fade from repeated application (plus reduce unsprung weight). They don't reduce stopping distance.

Evo magazine recently did a stopping distance test of two Jaguar F-Types, identical except for one having carbon ceramic brakes. Repeated stops from 100MPH showed near identical stopping distances initially. Eventually the steel brakes overheated and the stopping distance increased while the carbon ceramics stayed fairly consistent. Actually, IIRC, the steelies were slightly better initially as they needed less heat in them to be effective.

A friend of the occupants posted on one of the Facebook threads that the roads were like an ice rink and that's why he lost it. Given how he accelerated out of that junction in one video, there was obviously plenty of grip. The Facebook post has since disappeared, but I did wonder if that was going to be the excuse that was used by the driver. If so, hopefully he doesn't get his license back for a very, very long time.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      07-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #201
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanum-UK View Post
Given how he accelerated out of that junction in one video, there was obviously plenty of grip.
In this FB video you can clearly hear the M2 rear wheels slipping through (stutter) upon acceleration: either a humid road or MDM/DSC OFF or both:
https://www.facebook.com/andrew.chan...58982511410624

Flyby:
https://www.facebook.com/bradleygall...6244461124278/

In two other FB videos a grey family car passes by heading into the opposite direction, just a few moments after the crash happened. Got the M2 driver surprised by encountering that family car when he went (maybe wide ?) with his M2 through the fatal turn, and avoided a head-on collision by taking evasive action (though equally with dramatic consequences) ?
https://www.facebook.com/bradleygall...6241589684278/
https://www.facebook.com/kerr.mitche...4664556450418/
      07-03-2017, 04:32 PM   #202
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

At the speed he was traveling, he was out of control before he even entered the turn. Plus, according to one of the police reports, it seems to be unknown if the silver car was on the road before the curve or entering it from the side road there. Either way, there are no excuses or justifications for driving 11/10ths on a public road lined with people - especially going into a blind turn. He deserves no excuses for his blatant carelessness and sheer stupidity - and the lady riding with him deserves 100% sympathy and best wishes for a compete recovery. The only mistake she made was getting into the car with him for what in the end had to have been several seconds of sheer terror for her.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17427.50
      07-03-2017, 05:13 PM   #203
Arcanum-UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i on Order

Quote:
In this FB video you can clearly hear the M2 rear wheels slipping through (stutter) upon acceleration: either a humid road or MDM/DSC OFF or both
Hard acceleration in the dry will result in the kind of wheel slip shown in the video. As you say, probably MDM/DSC OFF. There's a lot of grip available for him to pull away like that.

If the roads were slippery - like when cold and/or wet - he'd still be trying to get out of the junction now with that amount of power dialled in!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 07:36 PM   #204
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Pure speculation, but he was carrying way too much speed and may have tried to use more of the road for correction when being caught of guard by an oncoming car therefore loosing focus, running wide, overcorrecting, etc...either way he was irresponsible which is an understatement.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 10:44 PM   #205
Broken135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Black 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Blur View Post
I find myself checking on this thread for nothing other than an update on the driver and passenger.
Same here.
Samesame
      07-19-2017, 07:23 AM   #206
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanum-UK View Post
Carbon ceramics resist fade from repeated application (plus reduce unsprung weight). They don't reduce stopping distance.

Evo magazine recently did a stopping distance test of two Jaguar F-Types, identical except for one having carbon ceramic brakes. Repeated stops from 100MPH showed near identical stopping distances initially. Eventually the steel brakes overheated and the stopping distance increased while the carbon ceramics stayed fairly consistent. Actually, IIRC, the steelies were slightly better initially as they needed less heat in them to be effective.

A friend of the occupants posted on one of the Facebook threads that the roads were like an ice rink and that's why he lost it. Given how he accelerated out of that junction in one video, there was obviously plenty of grip. The Facebook post has since disappeared, but I did wonder if that was going to be the excuse that was used by the driver. If so, hopefully he doesn't get his license back for a very, very long time.
Saw this too, all correct.
      07-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #207
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

I don't care the condition of the road way.. you watch this video just two seconds in and can see someone crossing the street. https://www.facebook.com/kerr.mitche...4664556450418/

Just a few moments later and that person would be dead. The driver is a maniac and should not be allowed to drive again. I cannot believe you are all trying to figure out why he crashed.. Why??! Because he was easily travelling 3 times faster than he should have on the road he was on. Don't agree? Fine... forgive me for valuing life. Others more than even my own.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #208
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
I don't care the condition of the road way.. you watch this video just two seconds in and can see someone crossing the street. https://www.facebook.com/kerr.mitche...4664556450418/

Just a few moments later and that person would be dead. The driver is a maniac and should not be allowed to drive again. I cannot believe you are all trying to figure out why he crashed.. Why??! Because he was easily travelling 3 times faster than he should have on the road he was on. Don't agree? Fine... forgive me for valuing life. Others more than even my own.
Holy #### that's the first time I've seen a video. Wayyyy to much show boating speed there sadly.

Take it to the track! No wonder there was an accident
      07-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #209
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Holy #### that's the first time I've seen a video. Wayyyy to much show boating speed there sadly.

Take it to the track! No wonder there was an accident
If the Police has this footage That's his fate sealed.