BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Auto Solutions & UCP Review

06-28-2021, 10:17 PM   #309
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKD View Post
Finally had my 25% 85a installed this morning and...just wow. It's so precise and has absolutely zero slop. The gates are so well defined and the throws feel so much more mechanical. Hands down the most satisfying mod I've ever done. Ronald is the man.
+1 Just had my autosolutions shifter installed today with the same config. 3 hours of labor. Zero increase in NVH with the stock shift knob. Shift action is essentially perfect, with shorter "snickier" throws, but plenty of space between gates and no discernable increase in effort. The only thing I've driven that might have been better was an S2000, but that was a long time ago.

I also had the shop re-bleed my clutch, since it wasn't bled properly when another shop installed my E90 slave cylinder (sans CDV) leaving a bit of dead travel at the top of the pedal action, but that's essentially gone now that it's bled properly.
      07-01-2021, 08:14 PM   #310
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I'm really happy with mine. Initially I thought it was a little too extreme with the notchiness, but I must say, it has broken in to be just right.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 12:00 AM   #311
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

Picked the car up yesterday from install, had all of the below done:

Ron's Autosolutions short shift kit; 22.5% reduction, stock height, 95a+ bushings

UCP (haven't confirmed which setting)

E90 slave cylinder swap p/n 29-52-6-785-964

MP stainless pedals

Prior to all of that I only had the MP carbon/alcantara shift knob which actually made a noticeable (positive) difference compared to stock. Initial impressions after install are good, however 1) I think the shift kit needs to wear in a little bit 2) I had very limited seat time due to time restraints.

Immediately noticed the ssk. Slight but acceptable increase in shift effort for 1st and reverse, all other gears had very (to me) minimal change in shifting effort. Engagement from gear to gear is very positive and direct. Not snickety smooth like a Honda but slightly notchy and, more importantly, precise. No added noise but I've definitely noticed increased vibrations on acceleration. No vibrations while coasting or decelerating. Doesn't currently bother me enough to want to remedy it, maybe a project for a very rainy day.

Clutch pedal, definitely more solid. Depressing the pedal requires no increased effort and pedal return is quick. The stock pedal's slop is gone and engagement is almost instant from the moment I lift. I clutch first before throttle so I feel it almost grabs TOO soon.

Slave cylinder is more linear and direct. Have to retrain the muscle memory and commit to the clutch release now. No more having to delay the clutch release a little for smooth shifts. Hard launches and fast shifts are smooth and consistent.

Planning some more road time tomorrow and I'll post up some more solid impressions in due time. Just noting the changes so no real, solid opinions from me until then. Mostly because I'm somewhat conflicted on the results. I feel the changes enhance the sharpness of the car but obviously giving up some softness. Not a good or a bad thing either way, I just need to figure out where I stand as the owner and driver. More seat time will tell.
Appreciate 2
flybigjet6822.00
chris7197334.00
      07-02-2021, 12:41 AM   #312
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
Picked the car up yesterday from install, had all of the below done:

Ron's Autosolutions short shift kit; 22.5% reduction, stock height, 95a+ bushings

UCP (haven't confirmed which setting)

E90 slave cylinder swap p/n 29-52-6-785-964

MP stainless pedals

Prior to all of that I only had the MP carbon/alcantara shift knob which actually made a noticeable (positive) difference compared to stock. Initial impressions after install are good, however 1) I think the shift kit needs to wear in a little bit 2) I had very limited seat time due to time restraints.

Immediately noticed the ssk. Slight but acceptable increase in shift effort for 1st and reverse, all other gears had very (to me) minimal change in shifting effort. Engagement from gear to gear is very positive and direct. Not snickety smooth like a Honda but slightly notchy and, more importantly, precise. No added noise but I've definitely noticed increased vibrations on acceleration. No vibrations while coasting or decelerating. Doesn't currently bother me enough to want to remedy it, maybe a project for a very rainy day.

Clutch pedal, definitely more solid. Depressing the pedal requires no increased effort and pedal return is quick. The stock pedal's slop is gone and engagement is almost instant from the moment I lift. I clutch first before throttle so I feel it almost grabs TOO soon.

Slave cylinder is more linear and direct. Have to retrain the muscle memory and commit to the clutch release now. No more having to delay the clutch release a little for smooth shifts. Hard launches and fast shifts are smooth and consistent.

Planning some more road time tomorrow and I'll post up some more solid impressions in due time. Just noting the changes so no real, solid opinions from me until then. Mostly because I'm somewhat conflicted on the results. I feel the changes enhance the sharpness of the car but obviously giving up some softness. Not a good or a bad thing either way, I just need to figure out where I stand as the owner and driver. More seat time will tell.
Solid review. Give everything some time to break in and then it'll be a good middle ground once everything is finally broken in. A nice sweet spot if you will
Appreciate 1
(K)1278.00
      03-19-2022, 04:15 PM   #313
Lost in München
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 competition

Greetings,
Just wanted to ask how many of you installed six bolts with some kind of threadlocker?

I am afraid it might come loose over time because of vibrations through the shifter..

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 04:26 PM   #314
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in München View Post
Greetings,
Just wanted to ask how many of you installed six bolts with some kind of threadlocker?

I am afraid it might come loose over time because of vibrations through the shifter..

Thanks
Yes instructions said to use threadlock.

They only need to be 5nm max.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 04:48 PM   #315
Lost in München
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Yes instructions said to use threadlock.

They only need to be 5nm max.
Are there any new instructions coming with autosolutions ssk?
I just got one paper that didn't say any of that..
I realized that bolts shoud not be too thight because that way you ovalized the hosing and then movement is not smooth, but i do not recall 5nm anywhere in instructions... thredalocker also.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 03:45 AM   #316
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in München View Post
Are there any new instructions coming with autosolutions ssk?
I just got one paper that didn't say any of that..
I realized that bolts shoud not be too thight because that way you ovalized the hosing and then movement is not smooth, but i do not recall 5nm anywhere in instructions... thredalocker also.

Thanks
Yes you're right, I looked back and it was infact an email reply I had from Ronald when I asked him about it.

He said 5nm and use threadlock. Using thread lock makes sense anywhere on a vehicle at this small bolt size.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 04:14 PM   #317
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
My dealership charged me 2 hrs labor for the SSK and 1 hr for the UCP.
your dealer will install aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 08:11 AM   #318
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHog5873 View Post
your dealer will install aftermarket?
They'll just about install anything..

I worked it out with the Service Manager, understanding how certain parts can void parts of the warranty.
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      04-08-2022, 08:59 PM   #319
Telluride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I'm in Ron's que for a SSK upgrade. Can't wait.

While waiting I've installed a M Perf shift knob. A noticeable improvement - like knob and shift rod are one. Very solid feel, I like a lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 10:11 PM   #320
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telluride View Post
I'm in Ron's que for a SSK upgrade. Can't wait.

While waiting I've installed a M Perf shift knob. A noticeable improvement - like knob and shift rod are one. Very solid feel, I like a lot.
These were my initial impressions with the MP knob as well. I would even venture to say that it's probably sufficient if a short shifter didn't exist. The problem is that the shifter kits DO exist and they do a damn fine job of tightening up the shifts even further.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 10:35 PM   #321
Telluride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
These were my initial impressions with the MP knob as well. I would even venture to say that it's probably sufficient if a short shifter didn't exist. The problem is that the shifter kits DO exist and they do a damn fine job of tightening up the shifts even further.
Yep. No doubt.

Those of us who chose a manual transmission want the most engaging driving experience. Wish I stumbled onto this board and thread long ago.
Appreciate 0