BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Detuned M2C S55 feels more naturally aspirated?

07-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #23
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfox94 View Post
Neat! Will have to look into that more once my warranty is up. Thanks for the info
If you have a 2020, there’s a good chance you don’t have a flashable dme.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 02:31 PM   #24
swampfox94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 - M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfox94 View Post
Neat! Will have to look into that more once my warranty is up. Thanks for the info
If you have a 2020, there’s a good chance you don’t have a flashable dme.
Do you know how I could check? I'm in no rush to flash it since I'm not craving any more power at the moment lol
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 07:59 AM   #25
mcg8
Rep
Drives: m2c

yes the engine setup in the m2c is much better than the atrocity bmw used for the M3/M4. I had the M4 and sold it because of how terrible the car was. All based on the engine characteristic. I've also had the twin turbo M5 for launch year and thought it was amazing. They really nailed the implementation for the M5 on launch. They royally screwed up the M4 launch.

just getting an M2C I can confirm that detuning the engine is the best thing BMW could have ever done. The engine is actually linear now and i'm pretty sure I would leave any M4 in the dust off the line when both cars have traction control turned off.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 08:03 AM   #26
mcg8
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The M2C's S55 power curve is more backloaded, meaning it doesn't exhibit an initial surge of excessive power and maniacal wheel spin, until you're deep into the pedal or at WOT.

Nevertheless, it's certainly no slouch, by a long shot. It's merely mapped that way to help with traction, due to its limited 265 rear tires and smaller wheel base.

One of the initial complaints about the S55 M4, when it now came out, was its limited traction on takeoffs, due to its ambitiously tuned front-loaded boost pressure. It's excessive wheel spin was almost a running joke, at the time, next to its controversial exhaust note.

In subsequence model years, BMW remedied this perceived shortcoming, by watering-down the boost pressure, in lower gears, giving it a more civilized and naturally-aspirated feel.

M4 vs TRACTION https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1003463

By the time the M2C was on the drawing board, I believe that BMW had learned from the error of their ways and just tuned it with a more streamlined power-band, which ironically, some then complained about its lack of "low end torque." Damned if you do, damned if you don't..

"Low end torque" misconceptions https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1542840

Back in the day, specifically around the '80s, when turbo-chargers was in its heyday; boosted vehicles did not have a linear and safe feel, as they do now. They would slowly built of heavy boost, then, like a raging bull, unleash a dangerous onslaught of power, catapulted the vehicle into a uncontrollable oblivion, sort of like this emoji, personified:

In a way, novice owners should be grateful for the evolution of manageable, turbo-charged vehicles. Ever since BMW resurrected this dying technology around 2007, with the advent of modern day ECUs and clever programming has allowed for a smaller displacements, more efficiently and a power potential, that it's naturally-aspirated counterparts could only dream of.

BMW single-handedly reinvented the wheel, which is evident by the fact than every car today is using some sort of forced-induction, a technology that was on its way to being extinct, with its release of their twin-turbo N54 motor.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2009/07/05/t...h-a-vengeance/
BMW decision to reverse the engine which removed the majority of the length of the charge air plumbing is what really reinvented them getting away with allowing the M cars to pull off being turbocharged. As we now all know the entire industry has followed suit. The test case was the launch of the F10 M5. Which is still the best implementation to this day imo.

Its no so much modern fuel injection/direct injection or the ECU. Its their decision to reverse the intake and exhaust manifolds that reinvented the wheel. There have been and still are lots of traditional turbocharged engines that use modern ecu fueling that behave very well. and dont explode into powerband when they get up and spinning. But none of them can mask their forced induction as well as the cars that run the reverse intake manifold setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 08:03 AM   #27
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg8 View Post
BMW decision to reverse the engine which removed the majority of the length of the charge air plumbing is what really reinvented them getting away with allowing the M cars to pull off being turbocharged. As we now all know the entire industry has followed suit. The test case was the launch of the F10 M5. Which is still the best implementation to this day imo.

Its no so much modern fuel injection/direct injection or the ECU. Its their decision to reverse the intake and exhaust manifolds that reinvented the wheel. There have been and still are lots of traditional turbocharged engines that use modern ecu fueling that behave very well. and dont explode into powerband when they get up and spinning. But none of them can mask their forced induction as well as the cars that run the reverse intake manifold setup.
The other cool feature of the S63 is the twin dual scroll turbos and exhaust plumbing that sequentially feeds the turbos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
CSBM52756.00
      07-20-2021, 12:04 AM   #28
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I find the s55 in the M2C to feel different than the late model f8x, and I found those to be very different than early f8x models. I hated the f80 at first and found it to be so peaky. But tuning has changed that. It's crazy how different the motor can feel.
      07-20-2021, 12:50 AM   #29
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg8 View Post

That technique has nothing to do with an inline 6 though.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 06:03 PM   #30
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post

On the other hand, my S58 X3M is like the old days with little to no boost until 3K RPM but little to no lag above 3k. That's a big disappointment to me.
This is excellent feedback. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 11:27 AM   #31
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Stage 1 91 octane Bootmod3 tune makes it feel more like a big block V8 than stock.
Way more torque and quicker spool at part throttle.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 06:31 PM   #32
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

So after spending a few hundred miles driving the car, it definitely doesn’t drive like any other turbo I’ve driven. It’s actually MUCH more like a supercharged car tbh. They’ve got the tuning pretty close to perfect.
Appreciate 0