BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Am I the only one who likes the original M2 more than the M2C ?

08-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #45
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
BMW created the M Division.

BMW put M2 on the car.

But I suppose you'll tell us all why BMW themselves don't know what a proper M car is.

BMW slaps M badges on all sorts of models these day. I suppose those are M cars and SUVs also. Anyway, looks like this unrealistic crowd enjoy their 2Ms
Saves money I guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 02:36 PM   #46
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c 2019 M3cs

Lol... what a hysterical thread! Thanks guys I needed a good laugh.

The OG is a fine car... but nothing beats having a true M engine. Have the ability for over 500whp with just a flash tune, and having the cooling capabilities to use it in stock form.... priceless.

Add an akrapovic exhaust and you have close to perfection.
Appreciate 2
      08-30-2020, 04:02 PM   #47
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post
But the mirrors...

They had to leave something for the M2C, as everyone knows it wasn't the wheels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterglen View Post
The OG is a fine car... but nothing beats having a true M engine. Have the ability for over 500whp with just a flash tune, and having the cooling capabilities to use it in stock form.... priceless.

Add an akrapovic exhaust and you have close to perfection.
There you go, thinking that a.) everyone wants to race their commuter car, and b.) that ANYTHING can fix the terrible sound.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2020, 04:40 PM   #48
cactusjack
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saturn Outlook

I prefer OG M2 looks and sound tbh. But the M seats and M Mirrors are great. I wish they had more colors for the og m2, that sunset orange is great.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #49
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I prefer OG M2 looks and sound tbh. But the M seats and M Mirrors are great. I wish they had more colors for the og m2, that sunset orange is great.
I used the easy fix for the mirrors. I bought the AutoTecknic M inspired dry carbon mirror covers.

https://ind-distribution.com/collect...rror-cover-set
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #50
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I used the easy fix for the mirrors. I bought the AutoTecknic M inspired dry carbon mirror covers.

https://ind-distribution.com/collect...rror-cover-set
These are a must-have IMO, but I prefer to buy from AutoID.

https://autoid.co/products/autoid-tr...ng-mirror-unit
Appreciate 1
DanG10447.00
      08-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #51
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
These are a must-have IMO, but I prefer to buy from AutoID.

https://autoid.co/products/autoid-tr...ng-mirror-unit
Mine are pure mirror cover replacements. Not whole mirror replacement. Much easier and has great fit. Also made of carbon. I like the black/white contrast on my M2.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2020, 05:29 PM   #52
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
All 3 are great versions of what is currently the best car BMW make imo.
Each version has evolved to be better & better as expected.
Let's hope it continues with the G series (which is more of a concern imo).
BTW Anyone that says the 1M or M2 is not a proper M car is not to be taken seriously, as these are 2 of the best cars the M division has produced in recent years. BMW decide what is an M car is, no one else, easy as that.
DanG10447.00
Moflow2484.50
TripleU167.50
      08-30-2020, 05:57 PM   #53
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

So much saltiness and jealousy in here. BMW doesn't decide what qualifies as a real M car. Enthusiasts do. Since the consensus is such that 1M and M2 are not real M cars (mainly due to inferior, parts-bin engines), then they are not real M cars. Only a crazy person would prefer the M2 over M2C. If you love the M2, great, but quit being sour over M2C being superior. Deal with it.
Appreciate 1
Fabb227.50
      08-30-2020, 06:07 PM   #54
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Quote:
Quote:
No way the M2 deliver power better than M2C. You need a high revving engine with a continuous power band not a low end torque commute machine on a sports car.

Look is subjective but I love the M2c styling.
Technically, the OG M2 delivers more torque earlier, which most people would consider superior to more torque in the upper ranges. Same with the exhaust, you're going to find people that like the M2C exhaust until they hear the vastly superior M2 exhaust. But there are still the odd birds that prefer the M2C exhaust, and commute in their Saab.

And technically, it's not a "sports car", unless you also consider almost every car on the road with a sporty nature a sports car. It's a GT car, and in that right, the more torque the better.

And technically, the car was created more for commutes than race tracks, which is obvious if you look at the parts specified, the alignment, the brakes, the ride height, and the fact that it's a pretty damn weak track car off-the-shelf.

Your personal opinions are clouding your judgement .
I would have to respectfully disagree about the GT car perspective. The car was created to be a double duty car that owner can take to track whenever they want while still be able to daily. The extensive cooling in the engine proves that. Also in a normal GT car you would have way longer wheelbase (for better highway stability) and softer suspension settings.

From this point, the s55 is way superior in race track than n55, no even a question. I do agree with the sound. But that's about the only gripe I have with the M2 comp.
I think you need to study GT cars more. The M2 is the very embodiment of a GT car, and nothing at all like a Sports Car or Muscle Car.
The M2 is the least GT car in the current M car lineup. M3/4 with longer wheelbase and more luxury interior, M8 even goes further into the GT car definition. Please enlighten me how M2 is the very embodiment of GT car.

I agree that your lotus has more sports car feel, but that doesn't make m2 less of a sports car from the get go.
      08-30-2020, 06:07 PM   #55
M3nford
Leased
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post
So much saltiness and jealousy in here. BMW doesn't decide what qualifies as a real M car. Enthusiasts do. Since the consensus is such that 1M and M2 are not real M cars (mainly due to inferior, parts-bin engines), then they are not real M cars. Only a crazy person would prefer the M2 over M2C. If you love the M2, great, but quit being sour over M2C being superior. Deal with it.
HAHAHAHA This is the most hilarious post I've seen in a while.
What consensus? Butthurt M2C Heavy and fart noise owners?

Y'all need to go back to the M2C forums since it seems like you can't have a civilized discussion about the fact that there are some things that the OG M2 is just better and "more M" than the M2C

Thanks for the laughs
Appreciate 3
j23654.50
      08-30-2020, 06:09 PM   #56
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nford View Post
Quote:
HAHAHAHA This is the most hilarious post I've seen in a while.
What consensus? Butthurt M2C Heavy and fart noise owners?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 06:11 PM   #57
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No way the M2 deliver power better than M2C. You need a high revving engine with a continuous power band not a low end torque commute machine on a sports car.

Technically, the OG M2 delivers more torque earlier, which most people would consider superior to more torque in the upper ranges. Same with the exhaust, you're going to find people that like the M2C exhaust until they hear the vastly superior M2 exhaust. But there are still the odd birds that prefer the M2C exhaust, and commute in their Saab.

And technically, it's not a "sports car", unless you also consider almost every car on the road with a sporty nature a sports car. It's a GT car, and in that right, the more torque the better.

And technically, the car was created more for commutes than race tracks, which is obvious if you look at the parts specified, the alignment, the brakes, the ride height, and the fact that it's a pretty damn weak track car off-the-shelf.

I would have to respectfully disagree about the GT car perspective. The car was created to be a double duty car that owner can take to track whenever they want while still be able to daily. The extensive cooling in the engine proves that. Also in a normal GT car you would have way longer wheelbase (for better highway stability) and softer suspension settings.

From this point, the s55 is way superior in race track than n55, no even a question. I do agree with the sound. But that's about the only gripe I have with the M2 comp.
I think you need to study GT cars more. The M2 is the very embodiment of a GT car, and nothing at all like a Sports Car or Muscle Car.
The M2 is the least GT car in the current M car lineup. M3/4 with longer wheelbase and more luxury interior, M8 even goes further into the GT car definition. Please enlighten me how is M2 is the very embodiment of GT car.

I agree that your lotus has more sports car feel, but that doesn't make m2 less of a sports car from the get go.
The BMW lineup is ALL GT cars. BMW doesn't even know how to spell Sports Car.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 06:11 PM   #58
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
You are so wrong newby. The 1M has had a fantastic following and one of the few M cars that hasn’t depreciated. The M2 has a great following and very few of them are available on the used car market. The real life daily driving of the two cars are almost identical. The M2C only shines on a long track.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 06:12 PM   #59
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The M2 is the least GT car in the current M car lineup. M3/4 with longer wheelbase and more luxury interior, M8 even goes further into the GT car definition. Please enlighten me how is M2 is the very embodiment of GT car.

The BMW lineup is ALL GT cars. BMW doesn't even know how to spell Sports Car.
Now that's something I want to quote in my forum signature.
      08-30-2020, 06:14 PM   #60
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
What jealousy?The OG M2 is clearly the better looking car with a superior sounding exhaust.Only benefit of M2C is top end speed for track use and M mirrors.I don’t track my M2 and i could care less about having an S engine.OG M2 is also more fun for city driving with instant torque.BTW,how do you like walking up to your M2C and looking at that huge exhaust can?There is no way i could own a car and look at that thing everyday.
Appreciate 5
DanG10447.00
j23654.50
jz5203.00
      08-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #61
M3nford
Leased
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
You are so wrong newby. The 1M has had a fantastic following and one of the few M cars that hasn’t depreciated. The M2 has a great following and very few of them are available on the used car market. The real life daily driving of the two cars are almost identical. The M2C only shines on a long track.
Don't bother reasoning, he won't understand.
Even having the S55, I can appreciate the OG M2 as the preferred M2 wehn I get into one.

This mentality of bashing other cars to compensate is obvious here.
Appreciate 2
DanG10447.00
TripleU167.50
      08-30-2020, 06:35 PM   #62
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Boy, my unintentional attempt to jack this thread now seems like it could have been a good thing.

Carry on . . .

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 07:18 PM   #63
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Quite possibly the most I'll informed post I've read. Are you saying enthusiasts know more than BMW about BMW's ?. What is this consensus you speak of that the 1M & M2 are not real M cars ?. I own an M2 & believe the M2C is an improvement & the M2CS is an improvement over that, that's what evolution is all about. You really need to get over yourself kid.
nelsdvn229.00
DanG10447.00
      08-30-2020, 08:11 PM   #64
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Have an OG M2, have driven the M2C many times. They're such similar cars. I bought mine in 2018 when the OG was only $53K new which was a steal IMO. Starting price of the M2C is $60K now. If both were on sale brand new, would you pay $7k more for the S55, better seats, and mirrors, at the cost of subjective cosmetic differences and far inferior exhaust sound? That's a tough call and I'm honestly not sure what I'd do. For that 7k difference you could do comp mirror caps ($200), coilovers ($2.5k), MPE + downpipe ($3.5K), and other minor cosmetic upgrades (reflectors, spacers, rear diffuser,etc). That's essentially what I've done and I think I'd take my current set-up over a stock M2C at this point by just a bit. Maybe just because I love driving around with the windows down listening to that sweet exhaust sound all day. That and the reliability and low cost of parts of having the final iteration of the N55.

Last edited by Mosely; 08-30-2020 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 13
DanG10447.00
OG///M1002.00
VisualEcho6625.50
mtl8850.00
hansomatic-2500.00
AdonM3121.00
csbear1118.00
AndrewC198910903.50
gphung193.50
scoale682.00
      08-30-2020, 08:24 PM   #65
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Devo View Post
slap an OG front bumper and 763m wheels on the M2C and you've solved 100% of the cosmetic issues ;-)
Not quite. Still need to deal with the cow udder in back...
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2020, 08:38 PM   #66
Matt Devo
Recovering RS4 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Not quite. Still need to deal with the cow udder in back...
OK, add a can of black spray paint to the list
Appreciate 0