BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Electrical issues

06-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #1
M235guy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Electrical issues

Having some issues with the M2 it has 11,200 miles on it. Ive been having warning lights coming on for no reason. Car is stock. Had it towed in the first time due to check engine light and multiple malfunction warnings. Car was there a week and was driven 60 miles by the tech, when I got the car there were no warning lights. Was told a software update was done as I was still on stock software.

Flash forward to today 3 days later, it was the first time I drove the car other than when I left the dealer a few days ago.

Car has all kinds of lights on now. Air conditioning and radio cut out, static in speakers no check engine light yet, but turn signals are hyper blinking.

Any thoughts? Car is under warranty, but they asked if I would drive it in. Dealer is 35 miles away or so.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:14 PM   #2
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M235guy View Post
Having some issues with the M2 it has 11,200 miles on it. Ive been having warning lights coming on for no reason. Car is stock. Had it towed in the first time due to check engine light and multiple malfunction warnings. Car was there a week and was driven 60 miles by the tech, when I got the car there were no warning lights. Was told a software update was done as I was still on stock software.

Flash forward to today 3 days later, it was the first time I drove the car other than when I left the dealer a few days ago.

Car has all kinds of lights on now. Air conditioning and radio cut out, static in speakers no check engine light yet, but turn signals are hyper blinking.

Any thoughts? Car is under warranty, but they asked if I would drive it in. Dealer is 35 miles away or so.
Tech drove your car 60 miles and you still have issue.

Talk to the service manager, and see if they can have a master tech work on it.
      06-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
Picoschu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 03 E39 M5, 01 325iT, 17 328dxT

Drive it to the dealership and ask for a master tech to meet you before shutting down the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
M235guy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Dropped the car off today. Shop foreman is going to take a look and they mentioned that they will likely have to get rear procedures from BMW Engineering.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

BMWs (and many modern cars) are very sensitive to low voltage issues. A bad/weak battery is often the culprit. And yes, even if it's only a few years old (you don't say what year the car is) the battery could be going bad.

The dealer should test it as one of their first actions, but one never knows what procedures those guys use.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #6
M235guy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
BMWs (and many modern cars) are very sensitive to low voltage issues. A bad/weak battery is often the culprit. And yes, even if it's only a few years old (you don't say what year the car is) the battery could be going bad.

The dealer should test it as one of their first actions, but one never knows what procedures those guys use.
Yes one of the first actions they did was to hook the battery up to a charger. It's a 2018 and was purchased in March 2018 as it was in transit from the port. I don't expect a battery to go bad in one year, but I suppose anything is possible.

Got a call back from the dealer and they believe they have traced it back to a body module. They have the part on order and hope to install it Monday.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #7
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
definitely what another poster said. Double check your battery! My 235 just started throwing mad codes out of nowhere for a few days. Then suddenly while in a drive thru, car completely died! That's what I get for trying to be an environmentalist and trying out auto start/stop.

Changed the battery, all is good now.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 01:58 PM   #8
M235guy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

33 performed vehicle test and connected battery charger, wt to perform test plan looked over k-can 2, performing the test found no issues, found sib 61 03 15 to check for shorted wires removed all the trunk trims to inspect the harness no issues found, removed the back seat and the bolster trim for the back seat no damage to the harness did have a fuel pump shorted fault removed the fuel pump covers and found no issues with the wiring. removed the a pillar trim to inspect routing of harness fond no issues. wt to inspect the harness. removed head liner and found a wire to be pinched between the headliner and the roof of the vehicle rerouted the wire and insulated the wire. wt to perform test drive 11261- 11266 and vehicle did not have any issues. performed extended test drive and vehicle operated as designed.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
33 performed vehicle test and connected battery charger, wt to perform test plan looked over k-can 2, performing the test found no issues, found sib 61 03 15 to check for shorted wires removed all the trunk trims to inspect the harness no issues found, removed the back seat and the bolster trim for the back seat no damage to the harness did have a fuel pump shorted fault removed the fuel pump covers and found no issues with the wiring. removed the a pillar trim to inspect routing of harness fond no issues. wt to inspect the harness. removed head liner and found a wire to be pinched between the headliner and the roof of the vehicle rerouted the wire and insulated the wire. wt to perform test drive 11261- 11266 and vehicle did not have any issues. performed extended test drive and vehicle operated as designed. performed vehicle test and connected battery charger, wt to perform test plan looked over k-can 2, performing the test found no issues, found sib 61 03 15 to check for shorted wires removed all the trunk trims to inspect the harness no issues found, check the resistence of the k-can 2 from connector a17388b down the harness got 120 ohms checked at connector x382*3b got 120 ohms checked at connector a88*1b got 60 ohms system measured as designed. removed the back seat and the bolster trim for the back seat no damage to the harness did have a fuel pump shorted fault removed the fuel pump covers and found no issues with the wiring. removed the a pillar trim to inspect routing of harness fond no issues. wt to inspect the harness. removed head liner and found a wire to be pinched between the headliner and the roof of the vehicle rerouted the wire and insulated the wire. wt to perform test drive 11261-11266 and vehicle did not have any issues. performed extended test drive and vehicle operated as designed. performed vehicle test and connected battery charger, wt to perform test plan looked over k-can 2, performing the test found no issues, pulled vehicle out had to get to other vehicles. performed vehicle test and connected battery charger, found sib 61 03 15 to check for shorted wires removed all the trunk trims to inspect the harness no issues found, check the resistence of the k-can 2 from connector a17388b down the harness got 120 ohms checked at connector x382*3b got 120 ohms checked at connector a88*1b got 60 ohms system measured as designed. removed the back seat and the bolster trim for the back seat no damage to the harness did have a fuel pump shorted fault removed the fuel pump covers and found no issues with the wiring. removed the a pillar trim to inspect routing of harness fond no issues. wt to inspect the harness. removed head liner and found a wire to be pinched between the headliner and the roof of the vehicle rerouted the wire and insulated the wire. wt to perform test drive 11261-11266 and vehicle did not have any issues. performed extended test drive and vehicle operated as designed.
I know we all like to gripe about BMW engineers and dealers having their heads up their butts, but reading this makes me really appreciate both the technician and the BMW service engineer who wrote the diagnostic routine.

CAN bus faults are a freakin' nightmare to track down as you can see. You often have to go circuit by circuit tracing wires through a harness, looking for the culprit. This dude was spot on in going after the CAN bus terminating resistors first and ruling them out. From there it was looking at every wire and connector, looking for something out of place. A damn fine job that tech did, IMO.
Appreciate 2
M235guy75.50
akkando5860.00
      06-27-2019, 08:22 AM   #10
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
A damn fine job that tech did, IMO.
After I had the iDrive "head unit" replaced on my car, the USB ports stopped working. I brought it back, and talked with the lead tech and he said "someone probably forgot to plug something in."

It took two more visits and consultations with the BMW factory rep before a tech finally determined that the USB connections were not properly plugged in.

Unfortunately, the lead tech, the guy who knows what's really going on, no longer actually works on cars.

Glad to read that the OP got the problem resolved.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
M235guy75.50
      06-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #11
M235guy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
33 performed vehicle test and connected battery charger, wt to perform test plan looked over k-can 2, performing the test found no issues, found sib 61 03 15 to check for shorted wires removed all the trunk trims to inspect the harness no issues found, removed the back seat and the bolster trim for the back seat no damage to the harness did have a fuel pump shorted fault removed the fuel pump covers and found no issues with the wiring. removed the a pillar trim to inspect routing of harness fond no issues. wt to inspect the harness. removed head liner and found a wire to be pinched between the headliner and the roof of the vehicle rerouted the wire and insulated the wire. wt to perform test drive 11261- 11266 and vehicle did not have any issues. performed extended test drive and vehicle operated as designed. performed vehicle test and connected battery charger, wt to perform test plan looked over k-can 2, performing the test found no issues, found sib 61 03 15 to check for shorted wires removed all the trunk trims to inspect the harness no issues found, check the resistence of the k-can 2 from connector a17388b down the harness got 120 ohms checked at connector x382*3b got 120 ohms checked at connector a88*1b got 60 ohms system measured as designed. removed the back seat and the bolster trim for the back seat no damage to the harness did have a fuel pump shorted fault removed the fuel pump covers and found no issues with the wiring. removed the a pillar trim to inspect routing of harness fond no issues. wt to inspect the harness. removed head liner and found a wire to be pinched between the headliner and the roof of the vehicle rerouted the wire and insulated the wire. wt to perform test drive 11261-11266 and vehicle did not have any issues. performed extended test drive and vehicle operated as designed. performed vehicle test and connected battery charger, wt to perform test plan looked over k-can 2, performing the test found no issues, pulled vehicle out had to get to other vehicles. performed vehicle test and connected battery charger, found sib 61 03 15 to check for shorted wires removed all the trunk trims to inspect the harness no issues found, check the resistence of the k-can 2 from connector a17388b down the harness got 120 ohms checked at connector x382*3b got 120 ohms checked at connector a88*1b got 60 ohms system measured as designed. removed the back seat and the bolster trim for the back seat no damage to the harness did have a fuel pump shorted fault removed the fuel pump covers and found no issues with the wiring. removed the a pillar trim to inspect routing of harness fond no issues. wt to inspect the harness. removed head liner and found a wire to be pinched between the headliner and the roof of the vehicle rerouted the wire and insulated the wire. wt to perform test drive 11261-11266 and vehicle did not have any issues. performed extended test drive and vehicle operated as designed.
I know we all like to gripe about BMW engineers and dealers having their heads up their butts, but reading this makes me really appreciate both the technician and the BMW service engineer who wrote the diagnostic routine.

CAN bus faults are a freakin' nightmare to track down as you can see. You often have to go circuit by circuit tracing wires through a harness, looking for the culprit. This dude was spot on in going after the CAN bus terminating resistors first and ruling them out. From there it was looking at every wire and connector, looking for something out of place. A damn fine job that tech did, IMO.
I was very pleased. They said is there a rush on getting the car back and I told them just keep it as long as you need. Did a great job. My Bluetooth connection may need reestablished since I wasn't getting my message alerts on the screen, but great to have the car back!
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      06-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #12
M235guy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Quote:
A damn fine job that tech did, IMO.
After I had the iDrive "head unit" replaced on my car, the USB ports stopped working. I brought it back, and talked with the lead tech and he said "someone probably forgot to plug something in."

It took two more visits and consultations with the BMW factory rep before a tech finally determined that the USB connections were not properly plugged in.

Unfortunately, the lead tech, the guy who knows what's really going on, no longer actually works on cars.

Glad to read that the OP got the problem resolved.
Wow that's beyond frustrating. Deal with the same type of hoops you have to jump through to get things fixed in my job as well.

Thank you, glad to have it back!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 08:58 PM   #13
M235guy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Quote:

My eyes are bleeding after reading this. Was it really necessary to repeat the key testing annotation 4 times within this paragraph?
Sorry just pasted what was in the work order. I'd argue commenting wasn't really necessary either?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 08:59 PM   #14
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Sorry just pasted what was in the work order. I'd argue commenting wasn't really necessary either?
True
M235guy75.50
      06-29-2019, 09:03 PM   #15
M235guy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
True
Fixed post for any future viewers eyes, good looking out.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 09:05 PM   #16
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Fixed post for any future viewers eyes, good looking out.
You are a gentleman and a scholar. Much appreciated.
      10-12-2020, 10:19 PM   #17
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Reviving an old thread, I just experienced the same thing as the OP with my still-under-warranty M2. Electronics gone wild.. Just as described in the opening post. .Took dealer 3 days to find the problem which like OP was a short in a pinched wire.. Must have been a thing with these 2 series. The static coming out of the speakers was full volume that couldnt be turned off manually. Real eardrum splitters. Plus all the rest of the dash warnings he received.. Uncanny how similar these occurrences were.. glad its fixed!
M235guy75.50
      10-22-2020, 10:24 AM   #18
M235guy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Reviving an old thread, I just experienced the same thing as the OP with my still-under-warranty M2. Electronics gone wild.. Just as described in the opening post. .Took dealer 3 days to find the problem which like OP was a short in a pinched wire.. Must have been a thing with these 2 series. The static coming out of the speakers was full volume that couldnt be turned off manually. Real eardrum splitters. Plus all the rest of the dash warnings he received.. Uncanny how similar these occurrences were.. glad its fixed!
Glad to hear they got it resolved. Wonder how many of these cars will eventually have the issue. I've since moved on from my M2 but loved that car!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 05:13 PM   #19
Anny1Wiliams
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Glad they helped you. Because the last time my friend had a broken fuel pump on the way from Berlin, his passengers were forced to take a charter flight on a bus home. It is good that they knew the charter, which had the option of bus hire berlin and passengers could easily get home. And he went to the service in the car on another car)

Last edited by Anny1Wiliams; 10-30-2021 at 03:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 02:50 AM   #20
Ladalarg
Registered
Rep
Drives: Volvo V40 Cross Country 2.0

Electronics

These elements cannot be broken.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 10:02 PM   #21
jaylynn
Rep
Drives: '17 OG M2

Exclamation Help!

Quote:
Hey, I just had this same issue happen to my '17 right before reaching 60k miles. Battery from 7/19, daily driven. Light malfunction, driver restraint malfunction, emergency SOS malfunction, idrive screen and radio shut off and so did AC. Hyperflash in right turn signal (didnt try the left). Dont recall hearing static in the speakers. Would come back on and off periodically while driving. You could hear the alarm tone come on constantly and then you would hear it again very quietly. Would this also be a pinched wire and where did they find your wire? Or could this be a sign of the battery on its way out? Seems weird for it to happen much later than OPs 11k~ miles. TIA
Appreciate 0