BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bootmod3 tuned emissions on stage 2?

07-08-2022, 02:24 PM   #23
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman_M2 View Post
Your FI sport cat throwing a CEL? 100 or 200 cell?
Not me. Zero issues with my Fi catted dp for over 3 years.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2022, 03:36 PM   #24
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djud_M2 View Post
Just went to get an inspection in my M2 and failed with the the same 3 fault codes.

The car is FBO (with a VRSF catless DP), a stage 2 Bootmod3 tune, and upgraded high and low pressure fuel pumps (if that matters).

Would the change the "tune back to stock/OEM settings" route work if I have a catless DP? Wouldn't CEL come on after 30 miles of driving on stock tune w/ catless DP?

If not, would the Mini CAT O2 sensor do the trick with the catless DP left on the car? Really trying to avoid having the stock DP put back on just to pass an inspection..

Thanks in advance!
TO pass emissions readiness your car will need to be flashed back to OEM. With a catless DP the mini cat spacer might work (post cat) location. Its a cheap fix and if for some reason it still doesn't work then you will have to swap out the DP.
Just keep inn mind in many states now the test equipment can "see" a tune on a car so its imperative to flash back to the OEM tune every time you go in for inspection. Make sure to drive 30-40 miles to let the reset take place on the sensors. Every time you flash you need to let everything reset.
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 08:58 PM   #25
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Hey, do I really need to flash back to stock tune to get the pass result? I have the upgraded bump and E50 in the tank. It's kind of hassle to run the stock tune for that setup and I'm worried to screw this whole thing up.

Anyone has experience to pass with STG2 OTS tune?

BTW, I'm running Fabspeed Catted DP.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 08:24 AM   #26
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKen_0115 View Post
Hey, do I really need to flash back to stock tune to get the pass result? I have the upgraded bump and E50 in the tank. It's kind of hassle to run the stock tune for that setup and I'm worried to screw this whole thing up.

Real talk, the best way to pass inspection with a catless is to bribe someone that has the ability to verify you passed.

Speaking with years of experience with a catless on a hopped up 320i back in the day. It's one of the reasons why I won't get a catless on the M2. Total PITA
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 09:09 AM   #27
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSides View Post
Quote:

Real talk, the best way to pass inspection with a catless is to bribe someone that has the ability to verify you passed.

Speaking with years of experience with a catless on a hopped up 320i back in the day. It's one of the reasons why I won't get a catless on the M2. Total PITA
Thanks, but I'm using Catted DP. Trying to figure out if I need to flash the tune back to stock or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 08:30 PM   #28
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSides View Post
Quote:

Thanks, but I'm using Catted DP. Trying to figure out if I need to flash the tune back to stock or not.
Well if you can't find a solution or are unable to pass emissions, the bribery proposition holds true. From what I've read on these forums, it's kind of a coin flip for the catted ones depending on the mfgr of the DP.

I'll defer to my previous statement as well ...fucking with the downpipe just ain't worth the hassle it brings.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 12:02 PM   #29
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

with bootmod3, when you use the feature to disable CEL due to catless DP, it leaves one of the emissions 'monitors' not ready. depending on your state emissions laws, you may be allowed to have some of the monitors 'not ready', maybe even multiple.

you could try disable the feature, and drive car just enough to be 'ready' but before it gets a CEL. that's all timing though.
      08-08-2023, 10:05 PM   #30
hendrixsrv
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
As F87 stated these spacers are for the post cat O2 sensor(s). on a N55 you need one, and on a S55 you need 2. You can also get away with a cheaper fix..

Any 18 mm sparkplug anti fouler works as well.

Such as these: https://www.pepboys.com/dorman-help-...roduct/1154151
Sorry for bringing up an old thread. I have emissions coming up for my OG M2 (only OBDII style of checks) so I'm curious. I bought a set of these anti-foulers at Advanced auto parts, I was wondering. Do I just need one of the anti-fowlers or do I stack both anti-foulers together? Or does it not matter?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 08:12 AM   #31
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixsrv View Post
Sorry for bringing up an old thread. I have emissions coming up for my OG M2 (only OBDII style of checks) so I'm curious. I bought a set of these anti-foulers at Advanced auto parts, I was wondering. Do I just need one of the anti-fowlers or do I stack both anti-foulers together? Or does it not matter?
If Maryland requires a OBDII Port connection to pass inspection then you will need to use one, or both of the spacers. I can't tell you if you need one, or both. I'd try two first. Install, then restore your car to OEM tune. Drive the 30-40 miles to make sure the reset is done. If your CE light doesn't come on your good to go. If it does then take one out and repeat...Good luck!
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 08:50 AM   #32
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixsrv View Post
I’ve had to deal with this for many years in MD.

Before you mess with the spacers, simply flash to stock, drive around for 20min and then try the emissions test. I usually do one of the self test kiosks so I don’t have to talk to someone if there’s an issue. If I follow that approach, I’ve passed each time with my 300-cell HJS cat. If I forget to flash back to stock, it’ll fail.

Also, you can use your OBD dongle for BM3 and a cheap phone app to check O2 readiness before you go test.
Appreciate 0