BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > ///MPerformance carbon fiber shift knob - worth $250?

08-30-2022, 09:09 AM   #1
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

///MPerformance carbon fiber shift knob - worth $250?

Considering the ///MPerformance carbon fiber shift knob (I have an extra blue-stitched boot that I'd install with it), but want to hear your thoughts. Did anyone buy this carbon fiber knob and not like it better than the factory knob? Was it worth the $250 cost to you?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M2Pilot278.50
      08-30-2022, 10:05 AM   #2
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

From memory, the factory knob feels better and fits better in the hand. It also sits higher, is heavier, and weighted towards the top. Personally I thought it was very good for daily use. However I feel that it also contributes to some of the rubberiness of the stock shifter.

The MP shifter is the opposite of the factory knob. Sits lower, weighs less (but has more centered mass), and doesn't fit as well in the hand if you're a palm shifter. However it does have a more direct feel to it and the lighter weight allows for slightly quicker shifts. Plus it matches the interior a lot more!

Keep in mind I also have the AutoSolutions SSK so my input may be biased. I did swap the knobs for a few miles prior to installing the kit but it's been some time since I drove them back to back.

To answer your questions: I prefer the hand feel of the factory knob but I like the looks and the slightly more directness of the MP one more. Is it *worth* $250? No, buy it used for less. It's not a game changing mod and if I'm being honest, it's primarily aesthetic.
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13862.50
TUDMG21.00
      08-30-2022, 01:40 PM   #3
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

I paid about 20% of that, noting that I was going to have to swap the gaiter.

Used, obviously.

I like it, but it isn't as 'comfy' and you do have to be more positive with your shifts as it's shorter and not as heavy.

HTH
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      08-30-2022, 02:38 PM   #4
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
However I feel that it also contributes to some of the rubberiness of the stock shifter.
This is what I've heard over and over, and is the biggest reason I'm getting the carbon knob (although I wish it was heavier).

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
I like it, but it isn't as 'comfy' and you do have to be more positive with your shifts as it's shorter and not as heavy.

HTH
What I wonder is, since lighter knobs and shorter throws necessarily increase shift effort, why companies these days continue to make lighter knobs. Maybe because all the newer transmissions are so easy to row? It certainly wasn't the case in the past, you'd get a heavier knob or wish you had kept the OEM.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 05:44 PM   #5
brugada_thug
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Honda Fit, 2021 M2 Comp

Thanks for this post. I have the m performance shifter and I got it mainly bc it looks nicer. After using it for a bit (maybe 3k) miles or so I'm not sure I like the feel of it. May put the OEM on this weekend again and compare.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      08-31-2022, 06:44 PM   #6
PHX102
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

I didn't care for the feel either, both in shape and quality (felt light and dare I say cheap)… looks good though.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      08-31-2022, 06:48 PM   #7
PHX102
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Quote:
However I feel that it also contributes to some of the rubberiness of the stock shifter.
This is what I've heard over and over, and is the biggest reason I'm getting the carbon knob (although I wish it was heavier).

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post

HTH
What I wonder is, since lighter knobs and shorter throws necessarily increase shift effort, why companies these days continue to make lighter knobs. Maybe because all the newer transmissions are so easy to row? It certainly wasn't the case in the past, you'd get a heavier knob or wish you had kept the OEM.
If its the rubbery feel you are trying to get away from, why not a SSK or the Turner bushing?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 08:00 PM   #8
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX102 View Post
If its the rubbery feel you are trying to get away from, why not a SSK or the Turner bushing?
I'm not so concerned with the rubbery feeling. I've already got the Turner bushings as well. Hard for me to commit to the SSK.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 08:12 PM   #9
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Did anyone buy this carbon fiber knob and not like it better than the factory knob? Was it worth the $250 cost to you?
Totally worth it, and I paid IND prices for the knob and blue stitched boot.

But I was coming from 8 years of daily driving the similar shaped M Performance knob in my 135i below (with BMW factory SSK, why doesn't BMW offer them anymore)?

I probably would have adjusted to the factory knob, but just got so used to the small one, I preferred it.

I also later added the AutoSolutions SSK, which is without a doubt one of the biggest bang for the buck mods. Even my wife loved the shifting action (she had to drive my car once).
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13862.50
chris7197334.00
      09-06-2022, 06:31 PM   #10
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Just wanted to add a bit of information to this thread for those that will find it in future searches.

The ///M Performance shift is...
- shorter than the stock knob by 9mm (70mm vs 79)
- side-to-side diameter is 6mm less (41mm vs 47mm)
- front-to-back diameter is 14mm less (41mm vs 55mm)
- 6 grams lighter than stock (7.1g vs 7.7g)

A curiosity is the fact that the stock shift boot is 1.5g vs the one that comes with the MP knob's 1.6g (there is one additional tab on the white stitched boot).

I haven't driven the car with it yet because it's gluing, but I'll post my impressions after that.

I'll also add some notes later about swapping the boot.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
M2Pilot278.50
      09-06-2022, 07:43 PM   #11
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

OK, so just a quick note about this job.

It's STUPID easy.

Looking at the numbered photo below, what you have is 1 tab that locks the back (labeled 3), and 2 tabs (labeled 1 & 2) in the front that were once taller than they are now, but were melted down to hold them in place.

All you're doing is taking a hobby knife and cutting the top melted parts off of those tabs in the direction of the arrows (you can see what it looks like with the tops cut off in the last pic).

Once the top melted parts are off, hold the knob upside down with the boot over your hand tightly to put a bit of pressure on it, then take a small screwdriver and release the rear tab, then just wiggle the 2 front tabs out. It's really easy. If they won't come out, just cut around the edges a bit more with your hobby knife.

The rear tab, labeled 3, holds everything in place while you super glue the 2 front ones back on.
Attached Images

Last edited by ///MPhatic; 09-06-2022 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
(K)1278.00
chris7197334.00
      09-07-2022, 11:13 AM   #12
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

OK, so just got back from a drive and my initial impressions on the ///M Performance carbon fiber shift knob aren’t as favorable as I had hoped.

Pros:
- It definitely looks better IMO.
- The shifts feel more precise, slight rubbery feeling is all but gone.

Cons:
- It's expensive.
- It feels very small, too small compared to the stock steering wheel. I can’t even imagine having it paired with the super thick CS wheel.
- The shift effort is increased, but not by much.
- The knob just feels less friendly. The harder top edges are definitely felt during the shift action, and so are the materials. Resting my hand on it, even for a few moments is no longer an option because of the feel.

Hard to explain why I still like it, but I do. I think I'll keep it for a few weeks just to see if I get used to it. My goal is to figure out that if it were a no-cost option, would I keep it?

We'll see.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-07-2022, 12:27 PM   #13
(K)
Captain
Rep

My biggest complaints about this knob are that it could use more weight and size, I think many others agree also. I also think that it's precisely because of the weight and size that makes it good. The shift action is more focused on the lever than the knob so you get a little more feel of the shift vs a heavier knob that would mute it. If that makes sense?

I know you're on the fence regarding a SSK but I think, for the cost (vs this knob), the mod is leagues above what incremental improvements the knob offers by itself.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      09-07-2022, 12:36 PM   #14
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
My biggest complaints about this knob are that it could use more weight and size, I think many others agree also. I also think that it's precisely because of the weight and size that makes it good. The shift action is more focused on the lever than the knob so you get a little more feel of the shift vs a heavier knob that would mute it. If that makes sense?

I know you're on the fence regarding a SSK but I think, for the cost (vs this knob), the mod is leagues above what incremental improvements the knob offers by itself.
I believe you're correct, it is more focused. I think my issue is where I grab the knob is at the crown, which is fine for the stock knob, but on the MPCF knob it's just not comfortable.

I have long considered the SSK and CDV delete, but I'm worried about increasing the effort even further.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      09-07-2022, 12:36 PM   #15
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Could it be loaded with mass if it’s hollow past the attachment point? Never seen it upside down straight on.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      09-07-2022, 12:38 PM   #16
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
I believe you're correct, it is more focused. I think my issue is where I grab the knob is at the crown, which is fine for the stock knob, but on the MPCF knob it's just not comfortable.

I have long considered the SSK and CDV delete, but I'm worried about increasing the effort even further.
I have a Raceseng Circuit Sphere I am going to try soon. It is heavy but not crazy heavy. Feels great in the hand. This may be another option for you if you want lower effort.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      09-07-2022, 12:43 PM   #17
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Could it be loaded with mass if it’s hollow past the attachment point? Never seen it upside down straight on.
This is a fantastic question. I have some pictures that show a channel, but I'll go take some measurements real quick to see what could be done. It'd be great (IMO) to fill that channel with lead.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 12:52 PM   #18
(K)
Captain
Rep

The CDV is a good mod, that's more of a shift "timing" mod than a shift effort mod, recommended for sure! Regarding the SSK, I have to admit there's definitely no way around increased shift effort, however, if it's within the realm of tolerance, it may actually make the shift more enjoyable.

I consider myself sensitive these types of "feel" mods and was also very concerned about increased shift effort. I get the sense that you're also sensitive to them (even moreso than me). The increase was definitely noticeable and initially I thought it was too much, that I made a mistake, but after it wore in a bit it started to feel more natural. I did get the added benefit of the slightly notchy, mechanical feel but none of the stiff, clunkiness I was worried about.

That being said, getting into reverse is DEFINITELY noticeable even after almost a year of driving.

Anyway, if you're ever in my neck of the woods, I'd be happy to let you in the driver's seat to get a feel for my shift setup!
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
///MPhatic13862.50
      09-07-2022, 12:55 PM   #19
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

There is a channel inside the knob that's 12mm deep by 1.25mm wide that *appears* as if it could be filled with something heavy, but upon closer inspection it's plastic, made to have some give to it, and has several sections, so adding material doesn't look like it'd work (especially if it were a molten material).
Attached Images

Last edited by ///MPhatic; 09-07-2022 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      09-07-2022, 01:22 PM   #20
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

It definitely completes the interior but for some reason I felt it was kinda of cheesy looking after having it for a few months. But you can't be lazy with your shifts, definitely requires a bit more effort compared to stock and less ergonomic but I did like that was flat up top.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      09-07-2022, 03:21 PM   #21
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
The CDV is a good mod, that's more of a shift "timing" mod than a shift effort mod, recommended for sure! Regarding the SSK, I have to admit there's definitely no way around increased shift effort, however, if it's within the realm of tolerance, it may actually make the shift more enjoyable.

I consider myself sensitive these types of "feel" mods and was also very concerned about increased shift effort. I get the sense that you're also sensitive to them (even moreso than me). The increase was definitely noticeable and initially I thought it was too much, that I made a mistake, but after it wore in a bit it started to feel more natural. I did get the added benefit of the slightly notchy, mechanical feel but none of the stiff, clunkiness I was worried about.

That being said, getting into reverse is DEFINITELY noticeable even after almost a year of driving.

Anyway, if you're ever in my neck of the woods, I'd be happy to let you in the driver's seat to get a feel for my shift setup!
Very thoughtful response, thank you! I think it's a case of, if the car had come that way, with the SSK, I would have easily gotten used to it, so I think it'll be ok.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 04:37 PM   #22
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:

If you're going to get a 25% reduction, there would be a slight increase, but that's why I went with the 15% reduction. You get the subtle reduction w/o the added effort. The AS SSK was as smooth as it got (w/o modifying your console for a CAE).

Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13862.50
chris7197334.00