BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Parked, rear ended, no damage, video

05-07-2020, 03:21 PM   #1
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Parked, rear ended, no damage, video

This morning I wake up to this... guys coming to cut the lawn getting ridiculously close to my car. But didn't hit it.

Then 4 hours later, someone else comes and actual hit it.

I was sitting at home and heard the impact when it happened. Went outside right after and looked at the exhaust and diffuser and don't see any marks. After looking at the video, seems like their car hit higher than I looked, so I have to check again for damage. But car is covered in xpel, so I doubt there's any. Have to check the bumper clips too and do a bit better of an inspection, but at that speed I doubt there is damage. I've seen the car around here before. Usually stopping by for a few minutes or so. Not sure which of my neighbors know them.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

It amazes me how oblivious people can be to their surroundings. Unless they hit your car on purpose, in which case they're just a scumbag. Glad to hear no/minor damage.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 03:37 PM   #3
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

ohhh shit i hope you find them and literally hit them with every charge possible for a hit and run, repairs, and diminished value, etc. I can't stand people like this and they deserve to be punished even if it their wages need to be garnished.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #4
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

I'm half tempted to build something like this for it now.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 05:23 PM   #5
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

So many morons on the road! It almost looks like they did it on purpose. They parked at a good distance first, then just drove right into your car and took off.
      05-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #6
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Jesus, man. I was expecting a parallel parking job gone bad, but this dumb mofo drives into a parked car, WTF?!?
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2020, 06:41 PM   #7
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

Ugh terrible..PPF ftw though, i'm sure it saved the paint.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #8
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I watched one those square Honda vans back right into a car on Tuesday. Somehow I knew it was going to happen by this ladies body language. She backed up like she didn't know a car was parked behind her. She at least got out to look. She didn't leave a note. Here as long as the other person's bumper isn't hanging off, it's considered as if nothing happened. it's bumper cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 07:44 PM   #9
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

That's some BS, no matter how inept a person is at parking, if you notice a vehicle that might be pricey and clean, like an M2 and your first thought is to bump-park, you have no respect for other people's property and deserves whatever might be coming to you.

You're a better person than I am because you'd probably be contented with an apology or a police report but I have my own street way of dealing with situations like that, which I won't get into here because are some overly righteous and get bent out of shape.

Let's just say, I didn't realize how much cat litter and urine a Nissan Altima gas tank could hold and still be able start.

Strong cars, they're built Ford tough...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:22 PM   #10
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Stuff like this makes me happy I don't have to street park. I don't think I'd be able to sleep well at night, lol. Hopefully the PPF took the brunt of the damage.
Appreciate 3
ried791.50
      05-07-2020, 08:31 PM   #11
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

I went out and did a better check on the car. There's a foot long scuff in the PPF a couple inches above the diffuser. I went to the police station to file a report, but they're closed to the public.

Another thing, and I found this out a couple weeks ago... it's illegal to park closer than 2ft from someone where I live. Not that it's something I can ever enforce, cause the cops will probably laugh at me. But I picture it as being something I end up getting ticketed for when a cop is having a bad day... The other day I got a $144 ticket for not signing my registration card. smh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
Yea, it saved it a bunch of times already. But I gotta say, sometimes it feels like it works against me. That I paid for Xpel to save other people from paying for damages they do to my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:53 PM   #12
Saintjah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Low life trash.. hit and run, fuck them. Stuff like this pisses me off.... almost like it was intentional due to jealousy.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 11:13 PM   #13
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I went out and did a better check on the car. There's a foot long scuff in the PPF a couple inches above the diffuser. I went to the police station to file a report, but they're closed to the public.

Another thing, and I found this out a couple weeks ago... it's illegal to park closer than 2ft from someone where I live. Not that it's something I can ever enforce, cause the cops will probably laugh at me. But I picture it as being something I end up getting ticketed for when a cop is having a bad day... The other day I got a $144 ticket for not signing my registration card. smh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
Yea, it saved it a bunch of times already. But I gotta say, sometimes it feels like it works against me. That I paid for Xpel to save other people from paying for damages they do to my car.
Well if they damage the xpel and the car then you have more stuff that needs replacing.

I have a scuff on the front bumper that's got ppf on it and I can't tell if it's only the ppf that's damaged or that and the bumper.

Did catch the person who did it and got them to pay me cash. Honestly I don't blame them though, someone crazy and drunk was screaming at them to back up and they did, right into my car. Got it all on video.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 11:28 PM   #14
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Well if they damage the xpel and the car then you have more stuff that needs replacing.

I have a scuff on the front bumper that's got ppf on it and I can't tell if it's only the ppf that's damaged or that and the bumper.

Did catch the person who did it and got them to pay me cash. Honestly I don't blame them though, someone crazy and drunk was screaming at them to back up and they did, right into my car. Got it all on video.
Yea, someone sideswiped me in 2018 and the Xpel added extra cost to the repair. Pretty sure her father was yelling at her from the passenger seat and that distracted her, so I felt bad as well. But money I never got back because the girl's insurance would only cover like $10k (that was split between me and the 2 other cars she hit). Then I took her to small claims court, which the max claim amount was $12k. And I thought I could sue her in small claims for $12k then get the $7500 from her insurance on top of that. Once court came, the judge said that's not how it worked. So I only got $12k total. $7500 from her insurance, and $3500 from her. And I didn't have collision insurance on my car. I ended up paying the additional ~$10k to fix my car out of my own pocket.

On top of that, I took my car to the BMW dealer the day after the accident to get fixed and paid them out of pocket and upfront to repair it. Because I believed insurance would cover everything, so I fronted the money to get my car fixed sooner. So I paid BMW repair prices ($3000 for two wheels to be replaced, for example)

But yea, I went off topic a bit. It was an additional $5k to get the Xpel replaced from the accident. Especially because the dealership blended paint into undamaged panels.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 11:40 PM   #15
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post

Yea, someone sideswiped me in 2018 and the Xpel added extra cost to the repair. Pretty sure her father was yelling at her from the passenger seat and that distracted her, so I felt bad as well. But money I never got back because the girl's insurance would only cover like $10k (that was split between me and the 2 other cars she hit). Then I took her to small claims court, which the max claim amount was $12k. And I thought I could sue her in small claims for $12k then get the $7500 from her insurance on top of that. Once court came, the judge said that's not how it worked. So I only got $12k total. $7500 from her insurance, and $3500 from her. And I didn't have collision insurance on my car. I ended up paying the additional ~$10k to fix my car out of my own pocket.

On top of that, I took my car to the BMW dealer the day after the accident to get fixed and paid them out of pocket and upfront to repair it. Because I believed insurance would cover everything, so I fronted the money to get my car fixed sooner. So I paid BMW repair prices ($3000 for two wheels to be replaced, for example)

But yea, I went off topic a bit. It was an additional $5k to get the Xpel replaced from the accident. Especially because the dealership blended paint into undamaged panels.
I remember your original post after the accident. Bad roll of the dice for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:40 PM   #16
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Follow up on this...

Was leaving my house two hours ago to get something to eat. Get in my car and start it, then see some people walking through the driveway (the driveway that camera2 is facing in that video above). Then while looking in my rearview mirror I see the Nissan Sentra grille emblem behind me. (from my research before, it's a 2005 or 2006 because those are the only years that color was available) I'm like "geez, that's them. That's the car" in my head. So I turn my car around to confront them, but quickly realize I shouldn't do that because if they get scared and drive off, it would be hard for me to get their license plate. We would be facing in opposite directions so I'd have to turn around and chase them. And I didn't want to in that situation cause it might escalate into something dangerous.

So I pulled forward to turn around and get behind them (before confronting them) this way I could get their license plate. By the time I turned around, they had driven off and reached the stop sign at the end of my block. They were making a left turn. The road they were turning on is usually busy and sometimes it takes a while for traffic to clear to get out to make a left turn. Because of that, I was afraid if I followed them now, I might lose them. If I had to wait for traffic to clear, while they are driving off.

So I went around my block and cut them off on the other side. Ended up right behind them. Got video of them driving and the license plate.

I'm going to talk to my neighbor tomorrow, explain what's going on, and see if he can get them to talk to me.

I didn't file a police report yet because I don't know if these guys have outstanding charges or drugs on them or anything. If they do, that will make things more complicated for them and less likely for me to get paid. Also might upset them more and them blame me for calling the police. If I go to the police, it can make things way worse for them than needs to be. And worse still if I have to take them to court. Which I can just use as leverage anyway. A little "we can do things the easy way, or the hard way" type deal.

The cops always get mad at me when I try to take care of things myself first. but generally they are no help or make things worse. For example, beginning of March, a guy who I knew of but never met or spoke to before was banging on my door yelling to come out and he was going to kill me. I was able to find out who it was from my cameras, cops talked to the person and to me. Started blaming me for it, and it took me almost an hour to convince them that I did absolutely nothing wrong. And absolutely nothing was done to the guy. Like the guy seriously looked up my address online and came here threatening to kill me, and spit on my car as he left.

And no matter how many times I explain that to them, they don't get how useless they are. I don't like the police or governments anyway and believe the more that people can resolve on their own, without those things, the better and more peaceful of a society we can have. Don't initiate force and take the most peaceful path to resolve things first.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #17
akkando
Major General
Rep

When a car tapped my front bumper on cam in SF I didn't bother going to the police for a report. Here if no one was hurt they will not file a report.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 12:23 PM   #18
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Follow up on this...

Was leaving my house two hours ago to get something to eat. Get in my car and start it, then see some people walking through the driveway (the driveway that camera2 is facing in that video above). Then while looking in my rearview mirror I see the Nissan Sentra grille emblem behind me. (from my research before, it's a 2005 or 2006 because those are the only years that color was available) I'm like "geez, that's them. That's the car" in my head. So I turn my car around to confront them, but quickly realize I shouldn't do that because if they get scared and drive off, it would be hard for me to get their license plate. We would be facing in opposite directions so I'd have to turn around and chase them. And I didn't want to in that situation cause it might escalate into something dangerous.

So I pulled forward to turn around and get behind them (before confronting them) this way I could get their license plate. By the time I turned around, they had driven off and reached the stop sign at the end of my block. They were making a left turn. The road they were turning on is usually busy and sometimes it takes a while for traffic to clear to get out to make a left turn. Because of that, I was afraid if I followed them now, I might lose them. If I had to wait for traffic to clear, while they are driving off.

So I went around my block and cut them off on the other side. Ended up right behind them. Got video of them driving and the license plate.

I'm going to talk to my neighbor tomorrow, explain what's going on, and see if he can get them to talk to me.

I didn't file a police report yet because I don't know if these guys have outstanding charges or drugs on them or anything. If they do, that will make things more complicated for them and less likely for me to get paid. Also might upset them more and them blame me for calling the police. If I go to the police, it can make things way worse for them than needs to be. And worse still if I have to take them to court. Which I can just use as leverage anyway. A little "we can do things the easy way, or the hard way" type deal.

The cops always get mad at me when I try to take care of things myself first. but generally they are no help or make things worse. For example, beginning of March, a guy who I knew of but never met or spoke to before was banging on my door yelling to come out and he was going to kill me. I was able to find out who it was from my cameras, cops talked to the person and to me. Started blaming me for it, and it took me almost an hour to convince them that I did absolutely nothing wrong. And absolutely nothing was done to the guy. Like the guy seriously looked up my address online and came here threatening to kill me, and spit on my car as he left.

And no matter how many times I explain that to them, they don't get how useless they are. I don't like the police or governments anyway and believe the more that people can resolve on their own, without those things, the better and more peaceful of a society we can have. Don't initiate force and take the most peaceful path to resolve things first.
If you haven't done so already, try running a heat gun or dryer on the XPEL to make it self heal. Regarding the cops, I know where you're coming from. Out here they are basically useless for anything other than giving out tickets or dealing with major crimes. That said, it's my opinion that you should file a report in case you have to file an insurance claim or for some other unforeseen reason. You want it on the record and besides, we both know the cops won't follow up on it so I wouldn't worry about it. Regarding the perpetrators, people like that have no intention of cooperating or paying you no matter what conversation you have with them. In fact I'd say you're putting yourself at risk if you attempt to approach them.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 12:24 PM   #19
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Was parked in a Target lot this past weekend far from all other cars and in a corner spot. As I was walking back I saw a car in the distance look like it got awfully close to my rear bumper. When I check the bumper there was some marring and two scratches in the middle. Don't have XPEL on the rear, but did proceed to expel quiet a few profanities in my disgust.

The next morning decided to compound and polish it to see if I could make it less noticeable. To my surprise I was able to get it all out after a couple of passes.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2020, 05:40 AM   #20
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Was parked in a Target lot this past weekend far from all other cars and in a corner spot. As I was walking back I saw a car in the distance look like it got awfully close to my rear bumper. When I check the bumper there was some marring and two scratches in the middle. Don't have XPEL on the rear, but did proceed to expel quiet a few profanities in my disgust.

The next morning decided to compound and polish it to see if I could make it less noticeable. To my surprise I was able to get it all out after a couple of passes.
I just hate people.

Thankfully it came out.
Tag17911.50
      05-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #21
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

People Are Basically Stupid (PABS)
      05-20-2020, 12:50 PM   #22
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

So to conclude this...

I left a note in their mailbox. (I didn't save it, so it's not on my computer anymore) Basically said "Look, I know your friend hit my car. Didn't check to see if everything was okay. Didn't leave a note. Nothing. Drove right off and wasted my time tracking down who did it.. I was really concerned my bumper was cracked or the exhaust was bent. But thankfully the only damage is a slight scuff that is hard to see. The car is covered in Xpel, so the paint isn't damaged and I'm not going to worry about it. Just please be more careful and considerate in the future. I'll reach out to who hits my car and ask them to pay. But if that doesn't resolve it, I'll go to the police and court. Here's my number, text me if you need to speak with me..." Then included a picture from my security cameras and picture of their license plate.

The next day I got a voicemail from the neighbor apologizing for his friend. Saying that he talked to his friend and it won't happen again.

I accomplished what I wanted to. They know they're on camera now, so to be more careful. Now I'm wondering if I should put signs around the property so people know they're being recorded before hand. It's a public area, so I'm not legally required to. But I wonder if the signs would encourage people to be more careful. Which would prevent stuff like this from happening in the first place, and save me time having to track people down.
Appreciate 2
Tag17911.50