BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > How to uncover the power that is already there?

09-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #1
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
How to uncover the power that is already there?

So, I'm not really into "adding" power to my car because I don't want to sacrifice reliability, but I would like to "uncover" any power that is already there that might be stifled by certain factory parts or tune that aren't up to the task.

I've been pouring over posts and it seems like I need to leave the stock intake, add a better down-pipe (catted or cat-less), add an exhaust, and flash a simple tune. Is that about it?

I'm curious about the Dinan turbo and intercooler, like if they are making the car better, or sacrificing reliability to add power.

What would you say the weakest link is in the chain to releasing the power the car should have come from the factory with? The tune?

Your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
So, I'm not really into "adding" power to my car because I don't want to sacrifice reliability, but I would like to "uncover" any power that is already there that might be stifled by certain factory parts or tune that aren't up to the task.

I've been pouring over posts and it seems like I need to leave the stock intake, add a better down-pipe (catted or cat-less), add an exhaust, and flash a simple tune. Is that about it?

I'm curious about the Dinan turbo and intercooler, like if they are making the car better, or sacrificing reliability to add power.

What would you say the weakest link is in the chain to releasing the power the car should have come from the factory with? The tune?

Your thoughts?
I'm quite confused about your distinction between "adding" power and "releasing" power that's already there. But... for the sake of adding a headache to my life that I cannot release, I am going to ignore it.

Basically, this is the general consensus on power options.

1) You can run a bootmod3 Stg1 tune. It doesn't require any hardware mods. And I don't think anyone has seen a dyno run with it yet. My crude guess is a 10-20hp increase and a 25-50tq increase.

2) You can do bootmod3 Stg2 tune. This requires an upgraded intercooler and downpipe. Stock intake and exhaust has been said to be adequate. This should get you close to 400 wheel hp and I think 450tq.

3) You can do everything from #2. Plus xdi-35 fuel pump, pure stg2 turbo, and water meth injection. You need a custom tune for this. Then you'll make 450-500whp. Depending on the tune.

There are some little things to add too. Charge and boost pipes, turbo inlet pipe, and diverter valve+. Charge and boost pipes are easier to install while you upgrade the intercooler, so I did mine at the same time. Turbo inlet pipe and diverter valve+ are easier to upgrade when replacing the turbo.

Dinan upgraded turbo is good, Pure Stg2 turbo is better. But I think the Pure turbo is also $1k more expensive.

Biggest benefit I think to upgrade the turbo isn't just the increase in power, but moving the power to higher in the rpm range.

Dinan intercooler is junk. It seems good on paper, but all the logs I've seen on these forums show it running quite hot. Wagner Evo2 Competition I think is the best. There are some other good brands too, but I forgot what they are.

A sport cat downpipe is better than a catless downpipe. Likely no check engine light, still pass emissions tests, and isn't as loud.

Weakest link is downpipe and intercooler, then fuel pump and other fueling related things.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 09-19-2019 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      09-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I'm quite confused about your distinction between "adding" power and "releasing" power that's already there. But... for the sake of adding a headache to my life that I cannot release, I am going to ignore it.

Basically, this is the general consensus on power options.

1) You can run a bootmod3 Stg1 tune. It doesn't require any hardware mods. And I don't think anyone has seen a dyno run with it yet. My crude guess is a 10-20hp increase and a 25-50tq increase.

2) You can do bootmod3 Stg2 tune. This requires an upgraded intercooler and downpipe. Stock intake and exhaust has been said to be adequate. This should get you close to 400 wheel hp and I think 450tq.

3) You can do everything from #2. Plus xdi-35 fuel pump, pure stg2 turbo, and water meth injection. You need a custom tune for this. Then you'll make 450-500whp. Depending on the tune.

There are some little things to add too. Charge and boost pipes, turbo inlet pipe, and diverter valve+. Charge and boost pipes are easier to install while you upgrade the intercooler, so I did mine at the same time. Turbo inlet pipe and diverter valve+ are easier to upgrade when replacing the turbo.

Dinan upgraded turbo is good, Pure Stg2 turbo is better. But I think the Pure turbo is also $1k more expensive.

Biggest benefit I think to upgrade the turbo isn't just the increase in power, but moving the power to higher in the rpm range.

Dinan intercooler is junk. It seems good on paper, but all the logs I've seen on these forums show it running quite hot. Wagner Evo2 Competition I think is the best. There are some other good brands too, but I forgot what they are.

A sport cat downpipe is better than a catless downpipe. Likely no check engine light, still pass emissions tests, and isn't as loud.

Weakest link is downpipe and intercooler, then fuel pump and other fueling related things.
I run the Active Autowerk time and IC. Good combo of you want reliable bump in power without pushing the stock turbo fuel system too much.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #4
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Look into intercooler + charge pipe to use the power that's already there.

If you want more look into downpipe then tune.
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      09-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Many cars come from the factory with overly safe tunes for all kinds of reasons, so **usually** a 93 octane tune that also adjusts timing and boost accordingly on any turbo car will smooth the power out, as well as release what was already there. And unless the intercooler or turbo or fuel pump is strangling the car, then there is no need for me to upgrade from that.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotxERAU View Post
I run the Active Autowerk time and IC. Good combo of you want reliable bump in power without pushing the stock turbo fuel system too much.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Look into intercooler + charge pipe to use the power that's already there.

If you want more look into downpipe then tune.
I've heard of replacing the charge pipe for sure, just didn't know the IC was a weak link. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Many cars come from the factory with overly safe tunes for all kinds of reasons, so **usually** a 93 octane tune that also adjusts timing and boost accordingly on any turbo car will smooth the power out, as well as release what was already there. And unless the intercooler or turbo or fuel pump is strangling the car, then there is no need for me to upgrade from that.
M2 is pretty much maxed out from the factory power-wise and needs hardware changes for more. Basically because the N55 engine and associated parts were used in much lower end BMWs. So the tuning increases you are talking about only apply to those.

BMW (and other brands) will use the same parts between models to save production costs, then limit the power via the tunes to keep the models in the market they are selling to, and create more powerful cars for those markets.

What do you mean by you not wanting to "add power" then? Nitrous?

Last edited by Anthony1s; 09-19-2019 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 07:30 PM   #7
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
M2 is pretty much maxed out from the factory power-wise and needs hardware changes for more. Basically because the N55 engine and associated parts were used in much lower end BMWs. So the tuning increases you are talking about only apply to those.

BMW (and other brands) will use the same parts between models to save production costs, then limit the power via the tunes to keep the models in the market they are selling to, and create more powerful cars for those markets.

I'm not sure I agree with it being maxed out from the factory because with no physical mods at all a reflash can net good hp/torque gains. But if that's where it ends, so be it.

Add hp, you know, like adding a bigger turbo, which requires a bigger intercooler, which requires ..., which requires ...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 11:11 PM   #8
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure I agree with it being maxed out from the factory because with no physical mods at all a reflash can net good hp/torque gains. But if that's where it ends, so be it.

Add hp, you know, like adding a bigger turbo, which requires a bigger intercooler, which requires ..., which requires ...
The motor does feel tapped out, at higher RPM, that's why the Competition is so appealing; same M2 model but way more untapped power potential.

BTW I recommend a Dinan stage 1, nice bump of clean power.

Dinan's take on M2's potential:

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      09-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #9
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The motor does feel tapped out, at higher RPM, that's why the Competition is so appealing; same M2 model but way more untapped power potential.

BTW I recommend a Dinan stage 1, nice bump of clean power.

Dinan's take on M2's potential:

Thank you for that! I'm currently deciding weather or not the Dinan tune is worth it over the BM3.
Appreciate 0