BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 Competition vs C63S as a daily driver

11-05-2019, 05:46 AM   #1
spree
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C 2020

Cool M2 Competition vs C63S as a daily driver

Looking for the 'most fun' daily driver, and tossing up between a M2C or a C63S (could be a Coupe - looks the best, Sedan - lightest and more practical; or Estate - available in Australia, most practical, more sleeper/unique looking).
Its to be mainly used for the weekdays, going to and from work, dropping young kids (<10 years old) off at school now and then. Won't be regularly tracking it (well maybe just now and then). Wife already has a wagon for weekend duties.

The M2C would probably tick enough of the boxes ... but the allure of the V8 / sound is also enticing, whilst being more practical/luxurious. Depreciation on both probably not so great. Would consider driving either car for 3-4 years ... if went with M2C, then could settle for a used C63S thereafter. Or would it be better to just go C63S first (assuming that the C63s and all other ICE performance cars in the future are likely to become more muted/perhaps less 'fun' to drive later)?

Not sure which way to lean ... which would you pick ... and why?

Last edited by spree; 11-05-2019 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

I’d go C63S in sedan form for your use case. I’ve seen one at Hockenheiring and it was not slow. Plus the V8 and utility of 4 doors is a win for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #3
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Getting people in and out of a coupe is a giant pain and there isn't much room back there. If you already have a wagon in the family I would say get the C63S Sedan.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #4
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I have 0 experience with the Merc, but can agree that they're nice to look at. I own 2 Coupes that both have back seats, 03 G35 and 20 M2C. Of the 2, the M2C rear seats are much more usable, and actually quite comfortable. Took some family members for a ride, and my mother and sister had no problems getting into the rear, and they both said it was quite comfortable. If you were to be dropping your kids off at school every day, I would say get a sedan, but since it will be an occasional thing, I see no reason why a coupe would be lower on the list than a sedan. If you're throwing a track day or 2 into the mix, I would definitely prefer the M2 over a C class Merc, especially if you opt for a manual in the M2.

I don't daily my M2, but I have put almost 2000 miles on it in my first 3 weeks of ownership. It's not the fastest car there is, nor does it sound the best, nor does it have the best interior, et cetera et cetera, but it is a damn fun car. I swear the car is just as happy to do a 1-3 pull as I am; it's such an excitable little pig. While it isn't the most luxurious car there is, it's still quite nice inside, and once ASD has been bypassed, it's quite a nice cruiser. 99% of the comments or suggestions you're going to get are going to be biased (as my comment definitely is), so your best bet is to go out and drive them both.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #5
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
I like the C63S wagon for the utility and the uniqueness, we don't get them stateside. However, if you are looking for a fun daily, it's very hard to beat a 6 Speed M2C. Both cars have their merits. I would recommend simply test driving both. There could be a quirk that swings you one way over the other. For me, I love the size, the looks, the way it drives, and the fact that it's a 6 speed manual. Checked all the boxes for a perfect daily driver. Your needs could be significantly different than mine.
      11-14-2019, 08:26 AM   #6
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
I like the C63S wagon for the utility and the uniqueness, we don't get them stateside. However, if you are looking for a fun daily, it's very hard to beat a 6 Speed M2C. Both cars have their merits. I would recommend simply test driving both. There could be a quirk that swings you one way over the other. For me, I love the size, the looks, the way it drives, and the fact that it's a 6 speed manual. Checked all the boxes for a perfect daily driver. Your needs could be significantly different than mine.
We DO get the E63 S Wagon though, and my god they are good to look at. I love my M2C though, if only I could bring myself to daily it...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Look at how MB designed transmission cooling system. My C32 cooled the transmission by running a line through the radiator. That line was made of plastic. It cracked and circulated coolant into the transmission and killed it. That car was also supercharged and I hated the power delivery.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 06:05 AM   #8
spree
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C 2020

Thanks to all for the considered replies. I think the comparison is closer than one would think - the M2 is generally felt to be a 'better drive' than an M3/M4, and many reviews conclude that a C63 is 'more fun' than a M3/M4 to drive - but I've decided to go for an M2C. I think there is a window for me ATM to enjoy this type of car as a daily driver while the kids are small enough. I think a used C63S would be perhaps more suitable later down the track. Issues I had with the C63S were that the facelifted C63S engine/exhaust sound - whilst obviously much better than an M2C - has been programmed to be a little more sedate/bit harder to extract than the pre-facelift; the extra torque and power is hard to put down completely so performance <130kph is not significantly different to an M2C, the interior whilst nice - is not that special as it can be found in much cheaper and very ubiquitous lower end C classes like the C300; its larger size and more conspicuous nature are negatives versus the M2C which are positives for me in my situation as a daily driver; comparing the M2C to an equivalent C63S coupe - the rear seat headroom and boot volume are actually better in the M2C!; there are a tonne of used C63S's for sale at the moment inferring significant depreciation, and the extra taxes we get slugged here makes buying one new or as a demo pretty expensive for what you get.

Last edited by spree; 01-01-2020 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      01-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #9
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

I love how useful the rear seat of the 2-series is. For how small the car is, it's really well packaged. At 5'8", i think i could do a couple of hours in the back seat and be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:49 PM   #10
Rascasse_M2C
Rep
Drives: VFII Redline Commodore & M2C

Nice choice spree. I've been in a similar position, 2 kids (5 & 3 yrs old), having spent considerable time behind the wheel (approx. 2,500KM's) of my father's MY19 C63s coupe, I've signed contract for a MY20 M2 Comp.

I'll admit, the C63s had me smitten, it's so full of character and the interior is volumes better then the M2C's in way of finishes & features. But having driven the C63 hard, across multiple road types, I take away the following:

- For a cohesive, overall daily, the C63 is the better car, with enough character to be enjoyed at 6-7/10ths.
- But the C63 has an odd, non-linear steering weight, with what almost seems over assistance during open, sweeping bends.
- Having Dad's 2019 built C63s coupe, everytime I'd pull up to visit in my 'pre-face lift' used '16 or '17 coupe, would be a little disappointing with the analogue dash cluster and more harsh 7 speed auto, vs. the 9 speed in the current C63's.
- The M2 Comp is the more rewarding to drive across those favourite 'back/b-roads' IMO.
- Finally, the C63 isn't available in manual, of which I've ordered in the M2C.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 01:16 PM   #11
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

My M2C is primarily used to take my kids to and from school 1 day a week, and on weekends to shuttle my kids around.

If you want a manual, I personally would get the M2C. It's a great kid shuttle. My boy loves it when I rip the car through tunnels haha
Appreciate 0