Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poffman View Post
Did you have that done with Alex at Seattle, Dan? I get this intermittently but haven't messed with it yet.
I used Nathan Morrisette at BMW Seattle. Alex was on vacation. But I was extremely impress with Nathan and will use him for my next service. He really cared about solving the problem.
Thanks Dan. I'll talk to Dylan about it and mention that you had the TSB done.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 02:57 AM   #178
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

A few months ago my rear left turn signal started to malfunction by flashing very fast. After a while it stopped. Same story week later. Sometimes by restarting car it stopped, sometimes it stayed that way for minutes.

Anyway it happened a few more times. Dealer could not find anything in the car's 'system' , because that stuff insn't saved in the 'system' of the car they stated.

But they replaced the whole left rear light unit under warranty.

No problems since 3 months or so.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 12:58 PM   #179
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
A few months ago my rear left turn signal started to malfunction by flashing very fast. After a while it stopped. Same story week later. Sometimes by restarting car it stopped, sometimes it stayed that way for minutes.

Anyway it happened a few more times. Dealer could not find anything in the car's 'system' , because that stuff insn't saved in the 'system' of the car they stated.

Cheers
Robin
They're wrong about it not storing a code.

Appreciate 2
DanG10444.00
      06-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #180
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
They're wrong about it not storing a code.

I agree. My technician was able to read a fault code also. What they said is that if the code was more than 90 days old it may get erased.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #181
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I agree. My technician was able to read a fault code also. What they said is that if the code was more than 90 days old it may get erased.
Well good thing the blinker malfunctions 89 outta 90 days lol
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 12:47 PM   #182
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

My dealer is having someone come in to open a PUMA case on this. They're gonna spend a couple days with the car. Appt isn't until Aug 6th though, because the dealership is slammed with work. So much work that I felt bad and offered to reschedule in a few months to when things slow down. Like, the service manager was stressing out. But he told me not to worry about it and they can take care of it. Hopefully it ends with a TSB though for everyone to benefit from, because the only TSBs available don't apply to 2018+ cars.

I have to bring all my software back to stock and remove the tune, then use the blinkers until an error comes up, this way it's stored in the car computer for them to read. So I gotta learn ISTA+, cause I currently use Carly and it's having some issues to where I don't trust it for this. Also, I'm sure I can argue the tune doesn't affect the blinkers, because it doesn't touch the computer module the lights work from, but I'll remove it just to avoid the argument. I'm not gonna lie to them about having the car coded and tuned though, cause things always go downhill once trust is broken. But hopefully the tech doesn't argue that the tune and coding is causing it.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2020, 04:14 PM   #183
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
My dealer is having someone come in to open a PUMA case on this. They're gonna spend a couple days with the car. Appt isn't until Aug 6th though, because the dealership is slammed with work. So much work that I felt bad and offered to reschedule in a few months to when things slow down. Like, the service manager was stressing out. But he told me not to worry about it and they can take care of it. Hopefully it ends with a TSB though for everyone to benefit from, because the only TSBs available don't apply to 2018+ cars.
If you do manage to pinpoint the issue, it's going to be a lack of ground wire polarity, it's always the grounding..

BMW when from three ground wires on the pre-LCI halogens, to just one ground on the LCI LEDs.

One might say that's three ground wires wasn't necessary because LED draws less power but I believe they miscalculated the need for ground polarity, causing the system to assume an error.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 04:24 PM   #184
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
If you do manage to pinpoint the issue, it's going to be a lack of ground wire polarity, it's always the grounding..

BMW when from three ground wires on the pre-LCI halogens, to just one ground on the LCI LEDs.

One might say that's three ground wires wasn't necessary because LED draws less power but I believe they miscalculated the need for ground polarity, causing the system to assume an error.
I'm not doubting it's a grounding issue, because others in this thread have pinpointed that to be the case. However, my dealer won't do anything unless there is a TSB or approval from higher up.

As for your reason for the grounding issue, I am not sure that's correct. Because the '16 and '17 have a TSB for a taillight turn signal malfunction for the grounding wires. Though, I admit, I haven't looked at that TSB in a while, so I don't know exactly what it describes. But to say that pre-lci tailights do not have that issue because they have more grounding wires can't be true, because they have a documented TSB of their grounding issue... I guess they could've miscalculated the amount of grounding needed in both pre and post lci tho.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 04:29 PM   #185
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not doubting it's a grounding issue, because others in this thread have pinpointed that to be the case. However, my dealer won't do anything unless there is a TSB or approval from higher up.

As for your reason for the grounding issue, I am not sure that's correct. Because the '16 and '17 have a TSB for a taillight turn signal malfunction for the grounding wires. Though, I admit, I haven't looked at that TSB in a while, so I don't know exactly what it describes. But to say that pre-lci tailights do not have that issue because they have more grounding wires can't be true, because they have a documented TSB of their grounding issue... I guess they could've miscalculated the amount of grounding needed in both pre and post lci tho.
I wrote this explanation so many times, I forget to clarify that the originally pre-LCI did have the same exact issue, until they added the three grounding..

Apparently, BMW didn't learn from their own TSB and when back to one ground for the LCI taillights..

Check to the TSB below, they added a new backing plate that can accommodate various ground circuits:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ess/1VnZ8zZX2B
Attached Images

Last edited by Poochie; 07-15-2020 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:10 PM   #186
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I wrote this explanation so many times, I forget to clarify that the originally pre-LCI did have the same exact issue, until they added the three grounding..

Apparently, BMW didn't learn from their own TSB and when back to one ground for the LCI taillights..

Check to the TSB below, they added a new backing plate that can accommodate various ground circuits:

Ahh. Thanks for clearing that up. Saved me, and the BMW techs I'm gonna see, a lot of time going back through the thread and reading through TSB.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:25 PM   #187
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ahh. Thanks for clearing that up. Saved me, and the BMW techs I'm gonna see, a lot of time going back through the thread and reading through TSB.
Tell them to just add an additional wire and ground it off to somewhere in the chassis, it will save him hours of unnecessary labor.

The system is not that complicated to narrow down; there is a fuse, a US-spec MO hazard/turn signal flasher relay, some wiring and the taillight LEDs..

If every part checks out as properly functioning, process of elimination would narrow it down to a lack of ground polarity.

But I guess I'm just a random guy on the internet and he's the "expert," so let him spend that corporate money and come back down to the same conclusion.

Good luck
Appreciate 2
DanG10444.00
      07-15-2020, 05:48 PM   #188
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

Cheers
Robin
These days everyone is carrying a video camera around in their pocket. ANYTIME I have a malfunction I record it!!!
That way dealers can't pull the "No Code" / "Could not replicate" B.S.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 06:50 PM   #189
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
These days everyone is carrying a video camera around in their pocket. ANYTIME I have a malfunction I record it!!!
That way dealers can't pull the "No Code" / "Could not replicate" B.S.
Yup. I've been taking a picture every time it's happened for close to a year now. Have hundreds of pictures.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 10:23 PM   #190
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Will 2021 models suffer the same fate?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 06:48 AM   #191
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Comp F83

Took mine to dealer for standard service. Told them about issue. Said they saw it in computer and knew of the issue and replaced both taillight assemblies. Both sides. Hasn’t happened for me since

Last edited by SpartanGA; 08-13-2020 at 05:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #192
TMR013
Opus Angelus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 Coupe

Well, if this is the biggest problem with the M2, probably shouldn't complain a lot. But it is a pain. Finally convinced the dealer to replace my right rear light assembly. Seemed to work fine for 8 months. Suddenly I'm getting the error message again. so it appears it's not the assembly itself. Might have to learn to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:22 PM   #193
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
Well, if this is the biggest problem with the M2, probably shouldn't complain a lot. But it is a pain. Finally convinced the dealer to replace my right rear light assembly. Seemed to work fine for 8 months. Suddenly I'm getting the error message again. so it appears it's not the assembly itself. Might have to learn to live with it.

If you're familiar with coding, try to remove the bulb "warm checks" for the front and rear turn signals:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26455807
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Scrape37.50
      07-18-2020, 11:50 PM   #194
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
If you're familiar with coding, try to remove the bulb "warm checks" for the front and rear turn signals:

+1

Just code it out with bimmercode. Not worth the hasstle of trying to get a dealer to properly fix it or the annoyance of looking at errors constantly.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
      07-19-2020, 12:12 AM   #195
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
Quote:

+1

Just code it out with bimmercode. Not worth the hasstle of trying to get a dealer to properly fix it or the annoyance of looking at errors constantly.
👍🏻

I know the dealers; they are not allotted enough labor allowance to properly investigate this issue or dedicate much time, even if they wanted to..

This is on the end-user here, to figure out themselves..

The dealership service techs will just keep unnecessarily replacing the taillight units, until the cows come home - or 'til the owner sells their vehicle, completely give up on trying to resolve the issue or their warrant expires.. Whichever comes first..

As someone like myself who did the LCI LED tail retrofit and many others in the 2er section, yet no one in this camp has encounter this rapid-flashing turn-signal issue, it only seems to occurs exclusively on factory-installed LED taillights.

So, based on this fact, its leading me to believe that a possible lack of ground polarity or improper turn signal LED set factory mapping is the cause of this issue.. I hedge by bet on the latter..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 04:16 PM   #196
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

I dropped off my car this morning. Like I said in my last post, was supposed to have someone higher up come in to investigate and open a puma case. Well, the service manager I usually deal with is on vacation, and none of that was written down. It was pretty hectic last time I saw him, so I'm not gonna be hard on him for forgetting it. They said they'll still investigate the issue though and are still keeping my car for a few days.

Another solution I thought of... I can just pay out of pocket for them to perform the '16-'17 repair on my headlights. I asked about it, and they had no problem with me doing that.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 10:49 PM   #197
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Well I'm at the point where it malfunctions every time I drive now. Usually the second time I try to use the right turn signal. Then it's hit or miss for the remainder of the drive.

Annoying glitch but I don't think I can ignore anymore.

Poochie - thanks for your insight on the issue, never would have ever considered that
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      08-07-2020, 09:48 AM   #198
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
Quote:

+1

Just tried coding it out as this has seemed to happen more frequently now. Will see how it works.

Side note, I'm running some aftermarket sweeping indicators on my mirrors, which seemed to make the problem appear more frequently. Not sure if it's related or not, suppose it could be since they're all interconnected.

Will report back later and let everyone know how it worked.
Appreciate 1
Closed Thread