BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > My thoughts on 2018 M2 LCI, coming from E90 M3 ZCP

05-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #67
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Your not wrong, the M2 is definitely louder than the e9x. There is a lot of tire noise particularly from the front. Thankfully it's an easy fix!

For $40 you can install the door seals from the lower tier models, massively reduces the noise level and brings it more inline with the e9x. I did this on my car and it's very livable now on a cruise. Downside is you lose a little bit of edge to the engine noise but it's a worthy trade off I feel. I also upgraded to bavsound stage 1 speakers replacing the dire HK items, which combined with the seals makes the cabin a very nice place to be and makes it feel much more 'premium'.
Sounds (ha!) like a good path to success.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 05:15 AM   #68
psmalley92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, Macan S, 911 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I can't remember if I asked you before, but how do the 6MTs compare? Do you notice the after-shift lag on the M2 that people complain about sometimes?

Thanks!
Yes I do but it doesn't bug me that much because I feel like it's better than most new cars and the era of truly analog is over. So for me, the M2 is still best in class in that department. It's not as good as like the 991 or anything but it's good.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      05-29-2020, 05:20 AM   #69
psmalley92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, Macan S, 911 C2S

Quote:
Your not wrong, the M2 is definitely louder than the e9x. There is a lot of tire noise particularly from the front. Thankfully it's an easy fix!

For $40 you can install the door seals from the lower tier models, massively reduces the noise level and brings it more inline with the e9x. I did this on my car and it's very livable now on a cruise. Downside is you lose a little bit of edge to the engine noise but it's a worthy trade off I feel. I also upgraded to bavsound stage 1 speakers replacing the dire HK items, which combined with the seals makes the cabin a very nice place to be and makes it feel much more 'premium'.
How do like that BavSound Stage 1 set... that's one thing that actually pisses me off about this car... the sound system. God it really is bad. It didn't bug me at first but its one of those things that after living with the car for a few months I just can't stand. Compared to a GM Bose system its better I guess but it might be worse than the stock BMW Professional system I had in 2008 135i honestly. It's just not good!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:09 AM   #70
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmalley92 View Post
Quote:

How do like that BavSound Stage 1 set... that's one thing that actually pisses me off about this car... the sound system. God it really is bad. It didn't bug me at first but its one of those things that after living with the car for a few months I just can't stand. Compared to a GM Bose system its better I guess but it might be worse than the stock BMW Professional system I had in 2008 135i honestly. It's just not good!
The stock system is offensive, I feel your pain! The HK actually gives me a headache it's so bad. The mid range is non existent and the top end feels like it's assaulting your ear drums.

I'm happy with the bav sound, huge improvement. I added the door sound deadening around the speakers as well. There is no harshness, clear top end, punchy mids. Very easy to listen over extended periods. The speakers alone reveal how sloppy the stock subs are on the low end so I might do the ghost sub woofers as well. Even with the speakers alone the improvement is massive. Very worthwhile upgrade if you enjoy listening to music.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #71
mr.almeida
Private
Rep
Drives: F97

What does LCI mean? I drive a 2018 M2 and hear the term tossed around here, but I'm uneducated on it haha. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #72
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.almeida View Post
What does LCI mean? I drive a 2018 M2 and hear the term tossed around here, but I'm uneducated on it haha. Thanks.
Life cycle improvement

2018 had some updates over the 2016-17 model years, particularly the interior and headlights
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2020, 12:39 PM   #73
Insane_Dawe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 White ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmalley92 View Post
Try the true ASD bypass a.k.a. the wiring harness.

I uninstalled mine when I needed to have the amp replaced, then didn't get around to it, just coded ASD off. I kept thinking how crappy the HK system is. Found some time to install the bypass again and it made a night and day difference. It brings back the mids and I think there is more gain. Now it's an "above" average speaker system, not amazing, but good enough for my semi-hi-fi ears.

Before everyone gives me crap for it not making a difference, this is my second time doing it and it's drastically noticeable.

Here's my theory. The audio in the M2 is based on analog source. The implementation is something along the lines of a bandpass filter to lower the volume of the music in the "exhaust frequency range" Say 500-4000Hz and mux your exhaust noise. If you code out the ASD, the hardware filter is still there. Unless BMW implemented some expensive DSP processing, that's probably how it's done.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #74
Insane_Dawe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 White ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Sounds (ha!) like a good path to success.
I forgot I bought those door seals, they did make a massive difference.

The M2s N55 is one of the better sounding engines from BMW, definitely better than any s55 and it's one of the best N55 variants ever produced. Buuuut there is still a noticeable torque dip at high rpms. Only way to fix that is a bigger turbo and tunes only make that torque dip more apparent. M2 has the biggest turbo of the N55 variants but it's still not big enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 01:15 AM   #75
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

For people mentioning the interior noise, it's worth remembering the solid mounted rear subrame certainly will have an effect on NVH versus E90 and earlier gens that had large bushings between the chassis and rear subframe.