BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Question for all M2 Dinan exhaust owners...

07-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #1
Jcon157
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '15 M235, '16 X3

Garage List
'18 M2  [0.00]
'16 X3 xDrive35i  [0.00]
'08 335 (Retired)  [0.00]
'15 M235  [10.00]
Question for all M2 Dinan exhaust owners...

Hello All,

My Dinan exhaust and Res Delete got installed on Friday and we discovered the exhaust control valve appears to be stuck permanently open. This of course makes it sound more aggressive under all drive settings, so I'm not necessarily complaining. I was just curious if anyone else with the Dinan exhaust has experienced this?

We spoke with Dinan Tech Support and they believe it's an issue with my M2 and not their setup. Actually they said this was a known issue with the M3/M4 as well with the car's software not ever closing the valve.

As far as the Exhaust/Res Delete combo, my initial impression is it certainly sounds meaner than stock and very throaty in comparison
Appreciate 1
bollinm25.00
      07-16-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcon157 View Post
Hello All,

My Dinan exhaust and Res Delete got installed on Friday and we discovered the exhaust control valve appears to be stuck permanently open. This of course makes it sound more aggressive under all drive settings, so I'm not necessarily complaining. I was just curious if anyone else with the Dinan exhaust has experienced this?

We spoke with Dinan Tech Support and they believe it's an issue with my M2 and not their setup. Actually they said this was a known issue with the M3/M4 as well with the car's software not ever closing the valve.

As far as the Exhaust/Res Delete combo, my initial impression is it certainly sounds meaner than stock and very throaty in comparison
The midpipe wouldnt affect the calevs whatsoever.. maybe the installer unpugged the valve and forgot to replug it back im?
      07-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
Zabi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3

Garage List
My Dinan muffler was installed with the spring that connects the solenoid to the flap on backwards. It would hit the mounting bracket and would not close all the way. I put the spring on correctly and it now opens and closes.

See page 5

http://files.dinancars.com/webresour...1062ba70d3.pdf

Last edited by Zabi; 07-16-2018 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
Jcon157316.50
AndrewC198910903.50
      07-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
Jcon157
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'18 M2  [0.00]
'16 X3 xDrive35i  [0.00]
'15 M235  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who? View Post
The midpipe wouldnt affect the calevs whatsoever.. maybe the installer unpugged the valve and forgot to replug it back im?
I thought the same but I was there when he double checked everything to make sure it was done correctly and it was all good.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #5
Jcon157
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'18 M2  [0.00]
'16 X3 xDrive35i  [0.00]
'15 M235  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabi View Post
My Dinan muffler was installed with the spring that connects the solenoid to the flap on backwards. It would hit the mounting bracket and would not close all the way. I put the spring on correctly and it now opens and closes.

See page 5

http://files.dinancars.com/webresour...1062ba70d3.pdf
Thank you very much. I just reviewed page 5 and this is certainly worth looking into! To be honest, I'm not totally sure I wan't to fix it and allow the flap to close . It sounds pretty mean open all the time. At the end of the day though it bothers me when things don't work as intended and I at least like to know why.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
Zabi
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I put on a sportcat downpipe and open became kinda absurd! I needed it closed sometimes and with a exhaust flap module I can have it closed on colds start. Its polite to the household (rattles the glasses in the kitchen cupboards) when heading to work in the mornings but I open it up often.

When I was working on put the spring in correctly I did find that the flap was a little sticky and would catch when closed. I worked it open and closed quite a few time to loosened it up, but I am not sure it would have kept it from functioning.

Redline with exhaust flap open in tunnels is absolutely glorious!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
Zabi
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
To initially diagnose I used Bimmerlink app with a cheap eBay elm327 to toggle open/closed and it was evident right away. I also used that to toggle ASD to find that it was annoying as hell on the highway with the Dinan exhaust. I ended up using a bypass cable to permanently disable ASD.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #8
Jcon157
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'18 M2  [0.00]
'16 X3 xDrive35i  [0.00]
'15 M235  [10.00]
Quote:
I put on a sportcat downpipe and open became kinda absurd! I needed it closed sometimes and with a exhaust flap module I can have it closed on colds start. Its polite to the household (rattles the glasses in the kitchen cupboards) when heading to work in the mornings but I open it up often.

When I was working on put the spring in correctly I did find that the flap was a little sticky and would catch when closed. I worked it open and closed quite a few time to loosened it up, but I am not sure it would have kept it from functioning.

Redline with exhaust flap open in tunnels is absolutely glorious!
Great point. I'm seriously contemplating the FS sportcat as my next mod so it would be nice to have the option of closing the valve if that mod ends up making startup too loud! Neighbors are a good distance away from my house so I'm not too concerned about that aspect of it but sometimes I leave for work when the wife is still asleep.

I just checked out your garage. Great build . First, I saw your M2 is BSM Second, you're running Dinan Stage 4 with the big turbo, FMIC, and CAI. At the risk of derailing my own thread, I have to ask, did you have those installed in one shot? If so, was it a substantial boost in power (using the butt dyno)?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #9
Jcon157
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'18 M2  [0.00]
'16 X3 xDrive35i  [0.00]
'15 M235  [10.00]
Quote:
To initially diagnose I used Bimmerlink app with a cheap eBay elm327 to toggle open/closed and it was evident right away. I also used that to toggle ASD to find that it was annoying as hell on the highway with the Dinan exhaust. I ended up using a bypass cable to permanently disable ASD.
This one? https://technicpnp.com/product/asd-bypass-harness/
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #10
Zabi
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yes, the Technicpnp bypass.

I bought mine used last fall from a Porsche dealer, dude had traded it in for a pimped 911. The previous owner had Dinan Stage 1 installed when it was new and then did the P2 power package at 11k, I bought it with 13k. I don't think he was happy with it because of the idiots I mean BMW certified mechanics that did the install didn't quite get it right. The flap not closing, the ASD drone on the highway, and it went back for plugs 1k later for misfires. I found the chargepipe to intercooler assembled with no seal, it was on the skidpan, so a boost leak.

I felt it should have had more oomph than it had and questioned if it was boosting to potential. I had been doing pulls in sport+ and was expecting it knock the tires off, still stock size pss. I talked to Dinan about it and he said test with DTC/DSC completely off. So it wasn't till spring when the snows came off that I could do some pulls. Holy Crap! it does make a difference with all the nannies off, mdm intervenes to much to show its true abilities.

Ive never driven a stock M2 (or scene another one) to compare but I can tell you mine goes like a monster all the way to redline and makes me smile everyday I drive it! Sorry for the thread jack
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 06:25 AM   #11
Jcon157
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'18 M2  [0.00]
'16 X3 xDrive35i  [0.00]
'15 M235  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes, the Technicpnp bypass.

I bought mine used last fall from a Porsche dealer, dude had traded it in for a pimped 911. The previous owner had Dinan Stage 1 installed when it was new and then did the P2 power package at 11k, I bought it with 13k. I don't think he was happy with it because of the idiots I mean BMW certified mechanics that did the install didn't quite get it right. The flap not closing, the ASD drone on the highway, and it went back for plugs 1k later for misfires. I found the chargepipe to intercooler assembled with no seal, it was on the skidpan, so a boost leak.

I felt it should have had more oomph than it had and questioned if it was boosting to potential. I had been doing pulls in sport+ and was expecting it knock the tires off, still stock size pss. I talked to Dinan about it and he said test with DTC/DSC completely off. So it wasn't till spring when the snows came off that I could do some pulls. Holy Crap! it does make a difference with all the nannies off, mdm intervenes to much to show its true abilities.

Ive never driven a stock M2 (or scene another one) to compare but I can tell you mine goes like a monster all the way to redline and makes me smile everyday I drive it! Sorry for the thread jack
Wow, coming across a S4 M2 with only 13k mi is a great find ! Too bad about the issues you had but seems like you figured it all out. It's interesting you have to completely disable all nannies to make the car come alive. Not sure how I feel about that. S4 is a pretty costly upgrade so I'd prefer to see great improvements across the board under all drive modes, you know? Appreciate the input
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:34 AM   #12
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
I had been doing pulls in sport+ and was expecting it knock the tires off, still stock size pss. I talked to Dinan about it and he said test with DTC/DSC completely off. So it wasn't till spring when the snows came off that I could do some pulls. Holy Crap! it does make a difference with all the nannies off, mdm intervenes to much to show its true abilities.
I never gave DSC off any consideration for doing pulls. Throttle response in that mode a bit muted and I thought it would hamper the car's performance. But I guess if you're going WOT, good throttle response doesn't matter much.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #13
Jcon157
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'18 M2  [0.00]
'16 X3 xDrive35i  [0.00]
'15 M235  [10.00]
Update and opinions please:

My original post was to inquire if other Dinan exhaust owners have a functioning exhaust valve, and responses confirmed they do. Since my valve doesn't close (under any circumstance), I headed back to the dealer to do some troubleshooting. The tech pulled another actuator they knew worked properly from a different car and hooked it up to my M2. He connected his computer and sent the command to activate the actuator under various settings/drive modes, and still, nothing. The computer acknowledges the command has been sent but the actuator never rotates, which in turn would close the flap. They determined the issue is definitely with my M2 and has nothing to do with installing the Dinan exhaust. They're guessing it never worked straight from the factory. Short of re-coding the car, everyone is stumped on what else to do to get it to work (they have no issue re-coding, they just aren't confident it will fix anything). I had brought the attached BMW publication with me (which I got from this forum) and showed them the valve IS supposed to close when idling or cruising in Comfort mode.

They agreed and opened a PUMA case with BMW for further guidance. I attached a screenshot of the Techs answer from BMW, which is laughable in my opinion. The fact they had another M2 report this problem doesn't mean my issue should be "deemed normal", it means they have a duplicate problem they should be finding a fix for! I mean, if BMW didn't intend for the M2 exhaust flap to ever work then why install it on the car in the first place?? Plus their own published guidance states it should work. The fact this matter is just summarized like "Yeah, we had another M2 with this issue too, life sucks. Let me know if there's anything else we CAN'T help you with"... and that's the end of it, isn't acceptable to me.

What do you guys think? Is this answer acceptable to you?

The main issue for me here is the Dinan exhaust/res delete combo sounds great, but cruise at 80mph for an extended period of time with the flap wide open and you can certainly hear it! With the flap stuck open, the muffler is completely circumvented and has no chance to muffle sound or decrease drone. It's literally a straight shot from the engine right out the far right exhaust tip.

I actually don't even know what kind of sound difference it would make to have the flap closed since I've never experienced it. I don't know how a closed flap affects the sound when cruising. I'd imagine it has to make it "somewhat" quieter by routing the sound through the muffler before exiting?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #14
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Problem is that you don't have the stock exhaust installed anymore, so BMW isn't going to want to help you.

Not that it should matter, since it's the same valve controller and wiring and everything else... but dealership will be dealership.

I'd contact BMW NA customer service and/or (if you're a member) a BMW CCA ombudsman.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
Jcon157316.50
      08-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #15
Jcon157
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'18 M2  [0.00]
'16 X3 xDrive35i  [0.00]
'15 M235  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Problem is that you don't have the stock exhaust installed anymore, so BMW isn't going to want to help you.

Not that it should matter, since it's the same valve controller and wiring and everything else... but dealership will be dealership.

I'd contact BMW NA customer service and/or (if you're a member) a BMW CCA ombudsman.
Good suggestions, and possibly an avenue I'll try. The Service Manager believes there should be a better answer than what we were given so he's reaching out to make a few calls himself (all this just transpired this afternoon).

Funny part is, my Dinan exhaust hasn't even been mentioned to the higher-up's, just that my exhaust valve doesn't operate as it should, and even under the impression the car is 100% stock that's still their response
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 02:44 AM   #16
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcon157 View Post
Good suggestions, and possibly an avenue I'll try. The Service Manager believes there should be a better answer than what we were given so he's reaching out to make a few calls himself (all this just transpired this afternoon).

Funny part is, my Dinan exhaust hasn't even been mentioned to the higher-up's, just that my exhaust valve doesn't operate as it should, and even under the impression the car is 100% stock that's still their response
Jcon157 I know this is like 2+ years old now, but I'm curious, did you ever get it sorted out?

I realized the Dinan has an "extension cord" between the valve and the stock wiring - did you test that out and eliminate it as the problem?

(I got curious about all of this because I'm considering the Milltek catback as a slightly cheaper alternative to Remus. Both have dual valves, and I was looking into how they make the second one work.)
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 04:24 AM   #17
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

I thought mine was broken too (stuck open). While in for an unrelated warranty issue, I mentioned it to the Dealer, and they said the flap operated just fine per their computer test.

I can confirm that the flap almost never closes if you are at a stop (even in Comfort mode with a Warm engine).

I was only able to confirm the flap was working when cruising at highway speed with ASD disabled. As soon as I went from Sport to Comfort, i actually heard the noise go ever so slightly down.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:59 AM   #18
Jcon157
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'18 M2  [0.00]
'16 X3 xDrive35i  [0.00]
'15 M235  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Jcon157 I know this is like 2+ years old now, but I'm curious, did you ever get it sorted out?

I realized the Dinan has an "extension cord" between the valve and the stock wiring - did you test that out and eliminate it as the problem?

(I got curious about all of this because I'm considering the Milltek catback as a slightly cheaper alternative to Remus. Both have dual valves, and I was looking into how they make the second one work.)
A while after this thread I installed a FS Sport Cat, which increased the sound to a whole other level. Awesome cruising around town but obnoxious in the cabin cruising for long periods of time at 85 mph at 3K RPM. I ended up manually sealing the exhaust flap closed with some wire. That helped quiet it down a bit. About a year later my dealer pushed an update to the car and tried to command the valve again, and this time it worked! This confirmed the problem was never with with the Dinan components. At this point it didn't matter much because the Sport Cat, Res Delete. Exhaust combo made it so loud that I didn't mind it being closed all the time, so I left it tied shut.

To answer your question, it may now be sorted out but since the software update I haven't taken the tie off to see if the car will open/close the flap on its own. Even with it shut this thing rattles the walls inside my garage in the morning.
Appreciate 1
ZPrime610.50