BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Recommended track day mods for M2c?

05-18-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
RideZX6R
The Stig's southern cousin
Rep
Drives: SS1LE 427, E92M3, Ram, EV6

Recommended track day mods for M2c?

Experienced track day guy here... I'm looking into purchasing a used M2c
I plan on pads, fluid, and tires... as you would on any car one plans to track.

It would be a 6MT car.

However I'm curious if the M2c has any weak points most seek to address? Cooling, suspension, transmission, etc.

How much camber does the stock suspension allow? Are folks buying camber plates?

How are cars holding up that have a mild tune and bolt ons (conservative timing and boost levels of course for track use, but above stock whp levels) ?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
There is a whole track section. Here is one good thread: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1644361
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
You'll need camber plates for the front. A tune wouldnt hurt lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 07:22 PM   #4
RideZX6R
The Stig's southern cousin
Rep
Drives: SS1LE 427, E92M3, Ram, EV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
There is a whole track section. Here is one good thread: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1644361
Was wondering why I couldn't find info after searching... Searched/Posted in the wrong forum. This is why I get for doing work while browsing forums lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #5
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideZX6R View Post

It would be a 6MT car.

However I'm curious if the M2c has any weak points most seek to address? Cooling, suspension, transmission, etc.

How much camber does the stock suspension allow? Are folks buying camber plates?

How are cars holding up that have a mild tune and bolt ons (conservative timing and boost levels of course for track use, but above stock whp levels) ?
Structurally no weak point.

The weak point is its weight that overloads the stock front tyres easily and lead to understeer.

Don't worry about a tune if you want to go fast on the track. Get a carbon fibre bonnet to reduce the weight hanging in the front and focus on aero. Get a wing and front lip for a start. Get wider front wheels and front tyres (at least 265) for endurance. KW V3 suspension is good bang for the money.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 01:49 AM   #6
Lukeni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:

It would be a 6MT car.

as an expirienced track driver you definitly want to change coilovers (with camber plates).

stock only allows you to go -1.5 in the front and -2 to -2.5 negative camber in the back. you need at least -3.0 in the front to have some fun in the corners
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:44 AM   #7
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Structurally no weak point.

The weak point is its weight that overloads the stock front tyres easily and lead to understeer.

Don't worry about a tune if you want to go fast on the track. Get a carbon fibre bonnet to reduce the weight hanging in the front and focus on aero. Get a wing and front lip for a start. Get wider front wheels and front tyres (at least 265) for endurance. KW V3 suspension is good bang for the money.
+1

I would get the JRZ RS pro double adjustables with customizable springs, additional helper springs that are optional etc from Expert@ApexRaceParts

IMO JRZ's are vastly better than kw's, from the better springs, to the better damper assembly, to the optional remote reservoirs. Plus the JRZ coil overs are much narrower than the KW's which are known to be fat, so you can get even wider wheels and tires up front later on.
      05-19-2020, 08:38 PM   #8
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:

It would be a 6MT car.

What cars were you tracking prior to the M2C?

It's a fantastic car out of the box. Very neutral and balanced, a proper M car. You can be very fast with just pads, fluid, and camber plates. Might be worth just starting with that to get a feel for where you want to improve.

When my car finally hits the track this season it will have pads (ds 1.11), fluid (SRF), Ti shims. Will see how that holds up initially, but I suspect pretty well. It will also have an autosolutions SSK, ultimate clutch pedal. I had Ohlins on my M3, but I'll probably be going MCS 1WNR this time along withg monoballs.

The cooling is bullet proof at stock power levels (and beyond to an extent), you should have no issues there.

Tune would be one of the last things I'd look at. Stock power is nicely linear, and a remap will void the powertrain warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:56 AM   #9
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
A set of RE71Rs and Motul comp 660 brake fluids are all you need.

If you have to ask this, I'm assuming you haven't had a lot of chances to seriously track your car. I would suggest you learn to control what is offered in stock form before changing components that BMW tested for thousands of miles in Nordschleife.
      05-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #10
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
A set of RE71Rs and Motul comp 660 brake fluids are all you need.

If you have to ask this, I'm assuming you haven't had a lot of chances to seriously track your car. I would suggest you learn to control what is offered in stock form before changing components that BMW tested for thousands of miles in Nordschleife.
^ this. You don't even need the tires. Brake fluid flush, check the pads, and you'll be fine. Once you get better, get proper pads. Then better tires. Then an aim solo 2 dl to log some data. At that point, get a better car -one more suited for the track with lower cost consumables. If you want to go down the rabbit hole with the M2, get camber plates and some MCS or JRZs.

Down the line, you may need to look into cooling. Data logger showed some potential heat soak after a few laps. Not sure if it's heat soak but acceleration dropped off.

Some if the recommendations are so far off base I don't even know where to start. No, you absolutely don't need a tune, no carbon fiber body parts, etc. How do I know? You can look into my m240i track build thread. The time and money wasn't worth the build.

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 0