BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Current Gear display

05-15-2020, 01:15 PM   #1
M2driverWV
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Current Gear display

Can someone with later version of esys pro 3.4 or later try and code their instrument cluster "kombi2" with SPA_IST_GANG_ENABLE, this should enable the current gear display. I am able to get current gear out of OBD via BMW specific PID so I know DME has it. The M3/M4 can display it in M mode. BTW this is the 6MT transmission I am wanting info on. I am using the Torque app today to display it which works great but would be nice to have it natively on the dashboard as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #2
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
I believe that's the code for the "recommended gear indicator", not the "current gear indicator", at least on the OG M2. I can poke around in E-Sys later today to check for sure. EDIT: no, it's the current gear indicator, but doesn't seem like it works on 6MT.

This thread seems to have some additional thoughts, though it doesn't look good: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=860456 (seems like MT is in a weird place in that it might not know what gear we're in, and instead suggests what it thinks it should be based on speed and engine RPM).

EDIT: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1547942 seems to indicate that MT doesn't work :/

Last edited by asciimike; 05-15-2020 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
M2driverWV
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

On torque with the proper PID it will show the current gear and when moving and up/down shifting it reads it like the DME see's it to revmatch. Now when coasting to stop and in first gear it does display 0. Reverse is displayed as 7 on torque as well. Car has to be moving to display but with clutch depressed and revs down I can move the shifter to various gates and it picks up the gear as it has to know that for rev matching.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 08:15 PM   #4
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Interesting. Turned that code to `aktiv` and not seeing the current gear being indicated, unfortunately (though it's entirely possible I screwed something up with the normal gear indicator by disabling it--since I had it disabled before). I still have the menu checkbox though...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:46 PM   #5
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Yeah, the car definitely has to know what gear is in the process of being selected, because otherwise it wouldn't know how to revmatch correctly.

It drives me crazy that it can't just show a current gear display somehow.

My 2012 TTRS did both at the same time - it showed a suggested gear to upshift to, but it also showed what gear you were currently in. AFAIK the TT didn't have any sensors for current gear, and it figured it out based on road speed and RPMs instead (yay math).
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0