M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Vinyl wrap roof

11-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Vinyl wrap roof

One thing I do miss from my last 3 M cars is the look of the CF roof. The contrast with Alpine White, Silverstone Gray and Donington Gray was awesome, and I am thinking of wrapping the roof in gloss black to contrast the HS on my M2C.

For those that have done this....any issues or regrets?
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #2
larry.beck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I'm planning to wrap mine. Original plan was to use black, but considering CF as the appearance do the CF wraps are getting much better. However, what's really missing is the double bubble lines of a proper CF roof, and unfortunately that can't be replicated.
      11-25-2019, 06:22 AM   #3
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanWrapCo View Post
What's up guys. I own a rap company. We mostly specialize in paint protection film and I am a 7 time champion PPF installer.

My take on vinyl is this, if you want it to last pay to have PPF installed over it. It gives vinyl deeper rich gloss and makes it look more paint like. Vinyl is also not the most durable by itself. It's easily damaged by bird poop and bug splats. Uv also takes a toll on it.

The newer CF films are definitely getting nicer looking. We've wrapped over the Avery CF film with PPF and it looked really good. Deep gloss and I feel good knowing it's a durable product.
What about applying only ceramic coating on top of the vinyl, and not ppf? I know many apply ceramic on top of PPF, so was wondering if you can get away with just ceramic coating on vinyl wrapped roof.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealOrosie View Post
What about applying only ceramic coating on top of the vinyl, and not ppf? I know many apply ceramic on top of PPF, so was wondering if you can get away with just ceramic coating on vinyl wrapped roof.

Thanks!
Yes you can. I worked at a wrap shop here in Charlotte for a little over a year, and wrapped countless cars, most of which had Ceramic Pro on top. My personal daily driver is fully wrapped and ceramic coated. When I get around to wrapping the roof on my M2, I will be coating it as well. Makes it an absolute breeze to clean, and helps with scratches (although vinyl inherently is self-healing).
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ceramic coating helps but is not the end all be all. It will definitely help with uv fade and give you a slightly longer window of opportunity to get bird shit off.

Which vinyl are you using that's inherently self healing? 3m and Avery Dennison that I use will melt out faint towel mating when the film is fresh. But I would not call the film self healing because it is not engineered with an actual healing top coat like modern PPF.
PPF on top of vinyl is 110% overkill. You're better off wrapping every panel 2 layers thick, and the client will still save money. We did a brand new 2018 911 Turbo S Cabriolet this way, as well as a Nismo GTR. Much cheaper for the client, much easier install, same piece of mind.

Pick a brand, scratch the surface with a dirty cloth, and let it sit out in the sun for a couple of hours, or simply glaze over with a blowtorch. The scratches will definitely go away. I'm not talking about someone keying your car or taking sand paper to it, but normal scratches will 95% disappear when heat is applied. Add a ceramic coating on top, and the scratches wont even make it to the top layer of the vinyl anyways.

As previously stated OP, wrap the roof, ceramic coat it, and enjoy it. No need to triple or quadruple the cost of the roof wrap with PPF on top of the vinyl. A properly applied ceramic coating on top of vinyl will change the color profile of the vinyl as well, make it "deeper" if you want to use that term. I have a picture somewhere of a panel that we wrapped and taped down the center of, and then applied ceramic to one half, and the color difference between the 2 sides was mind blowing. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Appreciate 1
omasou2079.50
      11-25-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sorry bud. Not buying that lol
95% of scratches will not disappear. Take a wire brush to vinyl like you can PPF and the vinyl will be trash. The PPF will truly heal and the vinyl will not.

I could just hear that conversation play out on the phone "sorry mister customer you just need to take a blow torch to your vinyl and it'll be all good" hahahahaha ROFL!

I'm not here to have a pissing match with you bud. I was simply trying to help educate the OP with his options. At the end of the day it's his money and his choice.
Yes, because customers frequently take wire brushes to cars, and that happens on a daily basis driving. It's a cool demo, but really how practical is that test? I'm not here to argue, simply trying to inform from experience. You can keep taking what I say out of context, doesn't matter to me. I personally wouldn't take any company seriously that owns a "rap" company, and uses terms like bud and ROFL; I expect some level of professionalism from people I am giving my money to. You clearly aren't understanding my point, you're trying to sell a product and a service. I've said all I need to say.
Appreciate 1
omasou2079.50
      12-05-2019, 01:43 AM   #7
MCSEVEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 OG BMW M2

No issues. Honestly not worth the extra investment to do a CF roof swap. Wrap is the way to go. Don't forget to do the rails also!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 01:53 AM   #8
JackyStuntin
JackyStuntin
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

No complaints at all
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
termigni1080.00
Thevesh30.50
19___M2124.50
Flunx4.50
MASHCT541.50
      12-05-2019, 06:08 AM   #9
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackyStuntin View Post
No complaints at all
Sick!

Appreciate 1
      12-05-2019, 03:00 PM   #10
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Quote:
95% of scratches will not disappear. Take a wire brush to vinyl like you can PPF and the vinyl will be trash. The PPF will truly heal and the vinyl will not.

I could just hear that conversation play out on the phone "sorry mister customer you just need to take a blow torch to your vinyl and it'll be all good" hahahahaha ROFL!

I'm not here to have a pissing match with you bud. I was simply trying to help educate the OP with his options. At the end of the day it's his money and his choice.
Yes, because customers frequently take wire brushes to cars, and that happens on a daily basis driving. It's a cool demo, but really how practical is that test? I'm not here to argue, simply trying to inform from experience. You can keep taking what I say out of context, doesn't matter to me. I personally wouldn't take any company seriously that owns a "rap" company, and uses terms like bud and ROFL; I expect some level of professionalism from people I am giving my money to. You clearly aren't understanding my point, you're trying to sell a product and a service. I've said all I need to say.
Talk is cheap behind a keyboard bud!
You aren't the one that is a 7 time international PPF champion installer. I'm
Pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. If you or anyone else feels like looking me up my name is Tyler O'Hara! My company is my name on here.

Professionalism has nothing to do with this. You are a liar and don't know what you're talking about. If you have a problem and want to man up feel free to call me and I will handle you.
All of your posts sound like a commercial not educational as you pretend them to be.

For grins and giggles I had my mirrors wrapped. Looks great from a distance; up close it looks like wrap. You can put as much lipstick as you want on it it's still wrap. Before you go there the mirrors where wrapped by a professional using a quality product.

You're passionate profession is going to hell b/c of dubious professional like yourself who are more interested in selling than being 100% transparent.

Sorry, only calling it like I see it.
Appreciate 2
nioh_lbbm21716.50
Conissah1574.50
      12-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #11
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Quote:

Talk is cheap behind a keyboard bud!
You aren't the one that is a 7 time international PPF champion installer. I'm
Pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. If you or anyone else feels like looking me up my name is Tyler O'Hara! My company is my name on here.

Professionalism has nothing to do with this. You are a liar and don't know what you're talking about. If you have a problem and want to man up feel free to call me and I will handle you.
All of your posts sound like a commercial not educational as you pretend them to be.

For grins and giggles I had my mirrors wrapped. Looks great from a distance; up close it looks like wrap. You can put as much lipstick as you want on it it's still wrap. Before you go there the mirrors where wrapped by a professional using a quality product.

You're passionate profession is going to hell b/c of dubious professional like yourself who are more interested in selling than being 100% transparent.

Sorry, only calling it like I see it.
Honestly I agree. Wraps look great from a little bit away and especially look great in photos but in real life when you look up close you can tell it's a wrap
Appreciate 1
omasou2079.50
      12-06-2019, 07:47 AM   #12
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
check out my ig if you are interested in my wrapped M2

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #13
raywai2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Might want to check out if any shops in your area offer STEK Dyno Black or Carbon Fiber PPF. It’s PPF in black or carbon pattern and 8 mils thick. It’s the most paint-like that I have seen but is pricey. My shop quoted me $600 for the roof.
Appreciate 3
Conissah1574.50
SM2717.00
      12-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #14
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Look into stek dynoblack! Clear bra and looks and holds up better than a vinyl wrap!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 07:39 AM   #15
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's my creation!

Looks sick, man! Nice work!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 08:31 AM   #16
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep

Having STEK Dyno Black PPF installed on the roof next week. Will be painting the fin and rails gloss black to match.

I will post pics of the finished product!

Appreciate 1
speedsnice1169.00
      10-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #17
Flunx
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
No complaints at all
I love it.
I would like to wrap mine in 911 miami blue.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2020, 10:14 PM   #18
JackyStuntin
JackyStuntin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flunx View Post
Quote:
No complaints at all
I love it.
I would like to wrap mine in 911 miami blue.
I've seen someone with a Miami blue/Rivera blue wrap on the m2, and it looks super clean
Appreciate 1
Flunx4.50