BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bimmercode topics

09-28-2017, 04:47 AM   #1101
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
What utter bollox. I?ve been using esys to code BMWs for years and never meet a dealer who had an issue. As you say, all you?re doing is setting options BMW themselves wrote into their software for these modules....

I would have expected the dealer to connect the car to the BMW diagnostic tool and clicked on ?flat battery? and then for the technician to go though the computer guided checks for this fault. Eventually the software will advise the tech to update the software on your car and for the dealer to tell you to take it away and let him know if the problem persists.

It?s worth noting that anytime the dealer updates the software on the car all your coding will be lost as the updated firmware will use the BMW defaults for that model vehicle.

Sounds to me like the service advisor on this job was a tool. My advise is to take the car to another dealer.
Appreciate 2
Dabozo624.50
Kankles1484.50
      09-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #1102
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Nothing would be flagged with Bimmercode because you're just altering existing options.

Now, if you had a tune and were erasing CEL's, etc, that's another story. There are certain things you can alter in expert mode or through esys that could cause issues.
Appreciate 1
2M497.50
      09-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #1103
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
First off let me just say this has nothing to do with the fact i used BimmerCode over any other coding method...outcome would be the same regardless.
Brought my car in for its second scheduled maintenance visit. Upon arrival i asked them to look into a couple of minor issues - A battery that sometimes loses its charge and a intermittent tapping noise that i hear coming from what seems to be beneath and behind me (centre-rear) when i go over bumps. Luckily, i was able to rereate the noise with the tech next to me (imagine that!).
I handed over my keys, jumped into my loaner and left...

Several hours later i get a call from the dealer with an update on my issues...
Noise in rear- 'you had a sleeve of golf balls in the trunk' WTF?
Battery - "umm, have you had any coding or tuning done to your car?"
I played dumb and asked why. "Well the tech noticed that when he went to lock your car, the mirrors folded in."....and so it began....

after receiving a lecture about coding and performance mods I fired back saying that no performance mods were made as i know that would likely void my warranty should a problem arise as a result and that all i did was unlock an option that already existed on the vehicle.
I was then told that for them to further diagnose my issues with the tapping noise and the battery (which btw they blamed the coding for the battery issues), the cars obd data etc would have to be sent to bmw hq and as a result, my car would likely be flagged and warranty voided!
I told them that was BS (voiding an entire warranty) and that i was on my way to take my car away.
They gave me 2 options - use my app to return the car to stock, however, that would not guarantee that bmw hq would not find out i once had it coded...or pay $500 to have them return car to stock!!
I said 'neither' and took my car.

before i decided to code my car i researched coding etc extensively here on our forum and i cant begin to guess how many times i saw posts asking the age old question, "will coding void my warranty?"...answer was always NO (unless u bricked your car of course). So perhaps im just an idiot but a really didnt think it was going to be such a big deal bringing the car in with a few convenience mods...should i have 'uncoded' the car ahead of time? apparently that would not have mattered though...should i find another mod/code friendly dealer? From what they tell me, its unavoidable to not get flagged if the cars data needs to be transmitted to hq for any warranty work...
Any advice on this you guys can share?
Shady dealer. Unrelated, but my car was in for service the other day and they turned my daytime running lights back on lol, I wonder why they did that.
      09-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #1104
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSMF87 View Post
Which dealer is this? Don't you have to hold the lock button for the mirrors to fold? Try going to Budds or Pfaff they won't give you a hard time.
I coded the mirrors to fold upon locking the vehicle. No holding the button required.

Last edited by Dabozo; 10-04-2017 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #1105
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Sorry to hear Dabozo...

I've had numerous shady dealers that denied thousands of dollars in warranty work on my previous car...even had a service manager accuse me of tampering with my headlights.

I thought that I was done with shady dealers when I moved to a BMW...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #1106
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
It?s worth noting that anytime the dealer updates the software on the car all your coding will be lost as the updated firmware will use the BMW defaults for that model vehicle.
Exactly. I was 100% prepared to have to recode everything afterwards for this reason. Instead they try to milk me for $$$ to do same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Nothing would be flagged with Bimmercode because you're just altering existing options.
Now, if you had a tune and were erasing CEL's, etc, that's another story. There are certain things you can alter in expert mode or through esys that could cause issues.
Agree. I did use expert mode but it wasnt for anything uncommon.

After the service adviser did their little song and dance, i went over to my sales rep who happened to be on duty and explained to him what was going on...he went and talked to everyone. After a few minutes the sales rep, service advisor and tech came over and reiterated everything they had already said and basically tried to scare the crap out of me re the warranty. And then, out of the goodness of their heart, they offered to return the car to factory state for a discounted cost of $320!

Now, more specifically about bimmercode...the tech said that my battery is likely draining because the coding is faulty...that he sees many cars coded with various codiing softwares and they are all 'faulty' in that things dont get coded properly therefore some modules, systems 'stay awake'. He went on to say that my windows were not behaving properly (the way they drop just a tad when you open your door)...which "is a classic sign of faulty coding"...tbh though, im still confused as to what about my window function is incorrect lol...ive noticed nothing irregular.

the whole experience really pissed me off. It will be the last time i bring my car there. So i will gladly take any suggestions for a good dealer in the GTA...even a service advisor name would be appreciated (you can pm me if u would rather not post it here)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #1107
F30.M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
Exactly. I was 100% prepared to have to recode everything afterwards for this reason. Instead they try to milk me for $$$ to do same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post

After the service adviser did their little song and dance, i went over to my sales rep who happened to be on duty and explained to him what was going on...he went and talked to everyone. After a few minutes the sales rep, service advisor and tech came over and reiterated everything they had already said and basically tried to scare the crap out of me re the warranty. And then, out of the goodness of their heart, they offered to return the car to factory state for a discounted cost of $320!

Now, more specifically about bimmercode...the tech said that my battery is likely draining because the coding is faulty...that he sees many cars coded with various codiing softwares and they are all 'faulty' in that things dont get coded properly therefore some modules, systems 'stay awake'. He went on to say that my windows were not behaving properly (the way they drop just a tad when you open your door)...which "is a classic sign of faulty coding"...tbh though, im still confused as to what about my window function is incorrect lol...ive noticed nothing irregular.

the whole experience really pissed me off. It will be the last time i bring my car there. So i will gladly take any suggestions for a good dealer in the GTA...even a service advisor name would be appreciated (you can pm me if u would rather not post it here)
So what did you do in the end, did you actually pay them to restore the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #1108
BSMF87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD

Quote:
this was BUDDS! I coded the mirrors to fold upon locking the vehicle. No holding the button required.
WTF? They sell aftermarket parts and will even do ECU tuning, they have brand new cars on their lot that have been modified by them.

I haven't had a break in service done yet and I've coded tons of stuff, I even swapped in LCI tails. I guess I'll restore everything before I go in for service and won't be going to Budds.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 12:10 PM   #1109
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
i will gladly take any suggestions for a good dealer in the GTA...even a service advisor name would be appreciated (you can pm me if u would rather not post it here)
I forget my SA's name, but give Pfaff a try. I've only gone there for my break-in and annual service, but they've been great so far.
Appreciate 2
Dabozo624.50
///Mē281.00
      09-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #1110
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30.M View Post
So what did you do in the end, did you actually pay them to restore the car?
i took my keys and left. Did not pay for a reset...screw that!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #1111
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSMF87 View Post
WTF? They sell aftermarket parts and will even do ECU tuning, they have brand new cars on their lot that have been modified by them.

I haven't had a break in service done yet and I've coded tons of stuff, I even swapped in LCI tails. I guess I'll restore everything before I go in for service and won't be going to Budds.
they mentioned dinan multiple times...as the way to go if i want to mess around with the car lol. I kept saying, guys, we are talking about folding mirrors here! lol

For the record this was my first dealer visit with coding performed on the car. Had i gone in simply for the scheduled maintenance (oil change etc) and not asked them to look into my other issues, I dont believe any of this would have happened.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #1112
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Hah, I asked my SA if my coding would be over-written during the break-in service...he said no. It's just software...dealer sounds ignorant and uninformed.

Find a new dealer is next step
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #1113
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Hah, I asked my SA if my coding would be over-written during the break-in service...he said no. It's just software...dealer sounds ignorant and uninformed.

They are one of the largest around these parts...move a lot of M vehicles..they are also a dinan installer...go figure!

But regardless, they now have one less customer. Hope the grief they gave me was all worth losing a potentially long term customer.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 03:04 PM   #1114
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post

That's because they don't program the car.
      09-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #1115
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01

There are no software updates during the the normal break in service. Your coding will not get over written during this service
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 09:58 PM   #1116
///Mē
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
First off let me just say this has nothing to do with the fact i used BimmerCode over any other coding method...outcome would be the same regardless.
Brought my car in for its second scheduled maintenance visit. Upon arrival i asked them to look into a couple of minor issues - A battery that sometimes loses its charge and a intermittent tapping noise that i hear coming from what seems to be beneath and behind me (centre-rear) when i go over bumps. Luckily, i was able to rereate the noise with the tech next to me (imagine that!).
I handed over my keys, jumped into my loaner and left...

Several hours later i get a call from the dealer with an update on my issues...
Noise in rear- 'you had a sleeve of golf balls in the trunk' WTF?
Battery - "umm, have you had any coding or tuning done to your car?"
I played dumb and asked why. "Well the tech noticed that when he went to lock your car, the mirrors folded in."....and so it began....

after receiving a lecture about coding and performance mods I fired back saying that no performance mods were made as i know that would likely void my warranty should a problem arise as a result and that all i did was unlock an option that already existed on the vehicle.
I was then told that for them to further diagnose my issues with the tapping noise and the battery (which btw they blamed the coding for the battery issues), the cars obd data etc would have to be sent to bmw hq and as a result, my car would likely be flagged and warranty voided!
I told them that was BS (voiding an entire warranty) and that i was on my way to take my car away.
They gave me 2 options - use my app to return the car to stock, however, that would not guarantee that bmw hq would not find out i once had it coded...or pay $500 to have them return car to stock!!
I said 'neither' and took my car.

before i decided to code my car i researched coding etc extensively here on our forum and i cant begin to guess how many times i saw posts asking the age old question, "will coding void my warranty?"...answer was always NO (unless u bricked your car of course). So perhaps im just an idiot but a really didnt think it was going to be such a big deal bringing the car in with a few convenience mods...should i have 'uncoded' the car ahead of time? apparently that would not have mattered though...should i find another mod/code friendly dealer? From what they tell me, its unavoidable to not get flagged if the cars data needs to be transmitted to hq for any warranty work...
Any advice on this you guys can share?
It sucks to hear your experience with BMW, I also have coding done with Bimmercode and plan on reversing everything before I go in for my next service. I think it's complete BS though, you're not really reprogramming anything, just turning features on or off. So lame for them to find any excuses to get off warranting your car or sucking some more coin from your pockets. Don't want to hear any BS when I go in, so I guess I'll just code away, which is the big plus of owning Bimmercode, before and after my visits.
I do not want to be in there any longer than I have to, or hear anybody's song and dance of what I've done to my car...I always get this dirty feeling in dealerships and want to get the hell out asap.

Plus, once you reverse your coding, there is no way they can tell or prove that anything was tampered with, switch on, switch off, is basically what coding is, so screw there "BMW HQ will flag your car" theory. Thanks for posting!
Dabozo624.50
switzerr109.50
      09-29-2017, 12:01 PM   #1117
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Dealers will try to pull this BS thinking the customer is not informed. All you need to know is in the Magnussen-Moss Act from 1975.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

a big piece of that puts the burden of proof on the dealer in order to void a warranty.
Appreciate 2
Dabozo624.50
Bosozoku693.50
      09-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #1118
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

I believe my windows always drop a little when I open the door since the day I got it from the dealer. I mean everyone's does right?
Appreciate 4
      09-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #1119
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I believe my windows always drop a little when I open the door since the day I got it from the dealer. I mean everyone's does right?
Yes, every BMW with frameless windows does this...the dealer (or the SA) sounds incompetent
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 06:38 PM   #1120
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

I'm not sure why they won't touch the car with coding. Sounds like they think it will either interfere with diagnostics or is potentially causing the problem you are complaining about.

Is there any coding that could cause battery drain?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 01:41 AM   #1121
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
I forget my SA's name, but give Pfaff a try. I've only gone there for my break-in and annual service, but they've been great so far.
+1 on trying Pfaff.
Avoid Parkview.
BMW Toronto used to have decent service. It deteriorated to Toyota levels recently.
It's the bad dealership experience that makes me wish BMW Canada offers corporate service shops similar to Tesla
Appreciate 1
///Mē281.00
      09-30-2017, 07:34 PM   #1122
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullydog View Post
Hi All,

New here and having fun with my new 430i GC and Bimmercode...

I have successfully programmed my driver side easy seat entry using the method that other threads refer to:

This is done in expert mode using the SEAT MODULE DRIVER section in Bimmercode. However, I don't see a way to program the passenger side? Anyone know if the passenger side can be done with Bimmercode?

Also, I noticed several other areas in expert mode that specifically say EASY_ENTRY. Specifically the following:
3000 SM_GLOBAL -> EASY_ENTRY
3000 SM_GLOBAL -> EASY_ENTRY_TTB
3000 SM_GLOBAL -> EASY_ENTRY_BEI_TUER_HIN...

Anyone know what those do?

It would be cool it there's some other way to program the easy seat entry to function like this: http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...4&cat=0&page=3
Just tried this. I presume the digits we are changing are the byte 1 and byte 2 values that you quoted? 00,28 and 00, 3C
Appreciate 0