BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > .

05-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #89
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18EM2 View Post
I’ve been reading all the posts for both tunes and it seems VF’s set it and forget it is true and more reliable than BM3. More issues reported but more options available too. But is that a real world advantage? That’s my reason for asking.
I'm not sure that I'd agree that VF's Hex is more 'reliable'. I don't have first hand experience with the Hex tune, but BM3 is no less 'reliable' than Hex I don't think. What do you mean by reliable? I've not heard of anyone having a situation where their car broke down because they used BM3!?!

There are obviously more options available, but you don't have to use any of them. There are OTS maps available which is effectively similar to VF's Hex if you don't use anything else.

If you don't think you're ever going to use the logging features of BM3, you won't or can't take advantage of 93 AKI gas (VF's Hex maps are designed for 91 AKI, so you probably won't get as much of the benefits from 93 AKI as you would from the BM3 93 AKI maps), and you don't think you'll do anything more complex than Downpipes, FMIC and Charge Pipes, there may not be any benefit to BM3 over VF.

Having said that, and since this is the BM3 thread you're posting in... BM3 is much cheaper than VF!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 2
FSociety3561.00
963mw286.00

05-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #90
18EM2
Public Last Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT LBB

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I agree with your points. I am seeing a lot of posts regarding issues flashing the tunes. However like you said, nothing so far after a successful flash. It still is not giving a good feeling about going this route when so many are having issues flashing. Makes me wonder if this is a result of hasty or poorly executed programming. Does it mean the tune is also poorly coded in ways that might cause long term issues with reliability? Might not be immediately noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #91
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
I agree with your points. I am seeing a lot of posts regarding issues flashing the tunes. However like you said, nothing so far after a successful flash. It still is not giving a good feeling about going this route when so many are having issues flashing. Makes me wonder if this is a result of hasty or poorly executed programming. Does it mean the tune is also poorly coded in ways that might cause long term issues with reliability? Might not be immediately noticeable.
Can you link to some of these posts? I've not seen any...

I did, on the other hand, see an issue with Hex where someone, I can't remember who, nearly got stuck at work because the Hex flash failed. I believe VF helped him out over the phone and all was resolved though.

Unreliability in actually flashing is most likely caused by things like bad connections or timeouts. I had terrible problems with BimmerCode where the module I was coding would timeout and fail. I believe, though I can't confirm, that this was because my phone would periodically disconnect from WiFi very briefly.

Flashing the DME is not that much different than coding. I also think that the actual flashing and unlocking process is the same for all platforms. They all use the same protocol and E-Net cable.

If you have networking, cabling or PC issues, your flash may fail... That's not the fault of VF, PTF, or any other platform. It's also probably not a problem either. I might be wrong but I've never heard of anyone bricking their DME, even when a flash fails, it's recoverable easily.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3561.00

05-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #92
FSociety
Follow Me on IG @BMW_F9X
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F98 X4MC, F90 M5, F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Just flashed 93 stg 2 V5. Power bump is noticeable. One question proTUNING Freaks or anyone else maybe can answer...how do I reduce the pops and burbles to a more "normal" level. It's just too much, maybe if I were 22...but sadly I am not. (and yes I double checked to ensure I didn't flash the Aggressive Burble map - I can't even imagine what that must sound like)...I know there are some fine tuning sliders but does anyone know where they should be set to? Want to keep power, but soften the pops. A screen shot would be amazing.
Choose OEM or Custom if OTS option more than what you're looking for

Quote:
The issues with flashing 99% are user-error / not reading instructions displayed on the screen and just blindly hitting go from my gatherings.
Flashes don't usually fail these days, since it takes 1minute max.
What I've seen were the unlock (first time guys) not hooking up a battery charger or driving the car prior to doing the 4 minute process as some cars that are not daily-driven just doesn't have battery power to do so.

IG: @bmw_F9X

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #93
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the hammer View Post
So tonight I finally got around to updating my bm3 software and then dialing down the burbles. Now I just get some minor rumble pops on deceleration which is just lovely to my ears.
Are you able to provide a few screenshots of exactly how you did this?? This sounds like it might be the exact fix I'm looking for. I just don't want to mess anything up. The power increase is great...I just don't need my car to sound like the soundtrack to an '80's Rambo movie every time I let of the gas!! Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #94
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Iíve been reading all the posts for both tunes and it seems VFís set it and forget it is true and more reliable than BM3. More issues reported but more options available too. But is that a real world advantage? Thatís my reason for asking.
FWIW...I had zero issues with the actual flashing process itself. Followed the instructions posted by tehboost and it took less than 10 minutes. I used a PC with OBD to Ethernet cable as my connection to car and home wifi connection to internet. I also have the AWRON gauge and it simply read "SERVICE MODE" while I was in the process of flashing and came back on as normal once I started the car after waiting for a minute.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3561.00

06-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #95
genadyl
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Thanks for the write up. I had mine installed few weeks ago and very happy with results
One thing I wanted to ask if anyone can post a similar write up for "after the install". Things like using BM3 screens and settings change.
Specifically I ma trying to figure out things like "Active Sound", Cold start settings, Burble settings e.t.c
Do I need to re-flash every time I change any one of these things? Or is it updating car's settings without re-flash?
What exactly is the difference between each option in there?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #96
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by genadyl View Post
Thanks for the write up. I had mine installed few weeks ago and very happy with results
One thing I wanted to ask if anyone can post a similar write up for "after the install". Things like using BM3 screens and settings change.
Specifically I ma trying to figure out things like "Active Sound", Cold start settings, Burble settings e.t.c
Do I need to re-flash every time I change any one of these things? Or is it updating car's settings without re-flash?
What exactly is the difference between each option in there?
Thanks!
Burble is the aggressiveness of your burble. Default is OTS, which, of this version, is a step or two above OEM especially on duration. Be careful trying to customize it, there're a lot of multi dimensional and cross referenced parameters pertaining to burble strategy, which is why PTF didn't give you a OEM or OTS to edit from. Which is why it takes tuners months or a year or two to figure out how.

Cold start is the cat heating circle. OTS as default is less aggressive and lasts shorter. It intends to make less noise for those with loud exhaust.

Startup roar is the light up RPM and 'roar'. M2 OEM is pretty aggressive to begin with. OTS is a tad more.

Burble/cat-heat/startup-roar, you need to save the setup and re-flash.

Valve actuation is the valve strategy. OEM is open at s/s+ and closed at comfort. You can choose to permanently open or close.

ASD is the fake in cabin engine/exhaust noise. Many report artificial drone with it, but top end fake wailing is nice indeed. You can switch and decide for yourself.

All those features under diagnostic, you can even change on the fly and don't have to flash again.

Enjoy your time with the platform.
      07-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #97
Lodi
formerly M3AN 46
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Ultimate Pkg

Hoping somebody here can help me out.

I’m picking up a ‘17 M2 with the DINAN P2 kit on it in about a week. I’m tying to decide what tune to run once I pick up the car as I plan on going catless dp and adding meth inj. pretty much right away. For those unfamiliar with the DINAN P2 pack, it consists of their intake, dual core intercooler, ‘big turbo’ (supposedly equal to the Pure stg1 turbo), and dinantronics software. I’m in Eastern Canada, so our best fuel is 91oct, hence the meth. Is the BM3 software capable of running the dinan turbo, and the meth as well? Or could/would I need to run the BM3 for the turbo, and a jb4 as a meth controller? I’d rather not be fully meth dependant if possible. Any and all advice appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 11:43 PM   #98
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodi View Post
Hoping somebody here can help me out.

I'm picking up a '17 M2 with the DINAN P2 kit on it in about a week. I'm tying to decide what tune to run once I pick up the car as I plan on going catless dp and adding meth inj. pretty much right away. For those unfamiliar with the DINAN P2 pack, it consists of their intake, dual core intercooler, 'big turbo' (supposedly equal to the Pure stg1 turbo), and dinantronics software. I'm in Eastern Canada, so our best fuel is 91oct, hence the meth. Is the BM3 software capable of running the dinan turbo, and the meth as well? Or could/would I need to run the BM3 for the turbo, and a jb4 as a meth controller? I'd rather not be fully meth dependant if possible. Any and all advice appreciated.
No aftermarket meth can be integrated into DME, so you need a stand-alone control device for that. Here are 3 options for you:

JB4 alone can do all the job for you. On meth, a properly set up JB4 map will work brilliantly. That's the most cost efficient option, yet very powerful.

For maximum power, go grab a Terry made BEF which is free from MHD, to support JB4.

The most expensive and least powerful option, is to do an aggressive 91OCT flash tune and use meth as an octane and cooling bonus. That'd make the best drivability and reliability though.
      07-17-2018, 05:36 AM   #99
Lodi
formerly M3AN 46
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Ultimate Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
No aftermarket meth can be integrated into DME, so you need a stand-alone control device for that. Here are 3 options for you:

JB4 alone can do all the job for you. On meth, a properly set up JB4 map will work brilliantly. That's the most cost efficient option, yet very powerful.

For maximum power, go grab a Terry made BEF which is free from MHD, to support JB4.

The most expensive and least powerful option, is to do an aggressive 91OCT flash tune and use meth as an octane and cooling bonus. That'd make the best drivability and reliability though.
Thanks for the advice SeanWRT. Iíve been doing as much reading as my brain can handle, trying to sort out the route/setup, that would best suit my needs, but all options seem to have pros and cons.

What about a 93oct flash tune from either MHD or BM3 alongside a meth controller like torqbyte or using the jb4 just for the meth? I guess that would make me meth dependent, which I was hoping to avoid, but would it be a safe/viable option? The meth controller would be my safety, cutting boost if flow were interrupted for whatever reason. Also, is this basically what you were suggesting with the Terry made bef and jb4 combo above?

You mentioned letting the JB4 run the whole show. That was my original plan, but Iíve been reading that the jb isnít quite as smooth on the M2ís N55 as it has been on the N54 and other platforms. Have you run the jb4 on your M2?

A lot of questions I know, but Iíd rather try to get this right the first time, and avoid burning any more cash than necessary.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #100
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

NOTE: Instructions in the OP are a bit outdated. There's no start.bat (or any batch file) to run anymore. You'd just download and install the OBD Agent like any other windows or mac app and run it like any other one. On macOS it'll be installed along side the other apps under Applications and on Windows it'll be under C:\Program Files (x86)\bootmod3 by default (unless you change the installation path at install time).

Here's a link to updated instructions:

https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...+with+bootmod3

Appreciate 1
stefan1594.00

07-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #101
duckson
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 stock

Is there a list of what OTS maps you can choose from when you initially buy/install BM3?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 05:59 PM   #102
MTWO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

You can just sign up on bootmod3.net or on the app and go into OTS maps and see all of them.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #103
Steveo
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Burble is the aggressiveness of your burble. Default is OTS, which, of this version, is a step or two above OEM especially on duration. Be careful trying to customize it, there're a lot of multi dimensional and cross referenced parameters pertaining to burble strategy, which is why PTF didn't give you a OEM or OTS to edit from. Which is why it takes tuners months or a year or two to figure out how.

Cold start is the cat heating circle. OTS as default is less aggressive and lasts shorter. It intends to make less noise for those with loud exhaust.

Startup roar is the light up RPM and 'roar'. M2 OEM is pretty aggressive to begin with. OTS is a tad more.

Burble/cat-heat/startup-roar, you need to save the setup and re-flash.

Valve actuation is the valve strategy. OEM is open at s/s+ and closed at comfort. You can choose to permanently open or close.

ASD is the fake in cabin engine/exhaust noise. Many report artificial drone with it, but top end fake wailing is nice indeed. You can switch and decide for yourself.

All those features under diagnostic, you can even change on the fly and don't have to flash again.

Enjoy your time with the platform.
Can you make ASD the same for comfort mode as it is in sport/sport + mode?

I like the sound thatís either coming from ASD or stock exhaust in sport / sport + and would like it in comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 04:55 AM   #104
Daleb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Great guide and very helpful.

I have 1 question though, if you have the WiFi device can you do the initial OBD unlock via your phone with the OBD agent or are you required to do the initial unlock with the laptop agent?

Purchased my license and have my WiFi device, just waiting on my obd2-Ethernet cable to come before I flash.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #105
MTWO
Lieutenant
Rep

You donít have to use a laptop
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 05:23 PM   #106
designatedposter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleb View Post
Great guide and very helpful.

I have 1 question though, if you have the WiFi device can you do the initial OBD unlock via your phone with the OBD agent or are you required to do the initial unlock with the laptop agent?

Purchased my license and have my WiFi device, just waiting on my obd2-Ethernet cable to come before I flash.

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWO View Post
You don’t have to use a laptop
Are you sure the wifi agent with a phone can perform the initial unlock? I've read otherwise.
      07-28-2018, 06:43 AM   #107
MTWO
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
Are you sure the wifi agent with a phone can perform the initial unlock? I've read otherwise.
Positive. Iíve done it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 08:28 AM   #108
Daleb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWO View Post
Positive. Iíve done it.
Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #109
Daleb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just to confirm, flashed my car today with the phone agent only. Super easy to do and a very quick process.

Had a few connectivity issues with the hotspot so had to use my iPhone usb lead from the WiFi device to detect the agent. Worked instantly this way. Iíll troubleshoot the hotspot issues and get it working soon.
Appreciate 1
M2C_PLUS1660.50

07-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #110
Daleb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteM2 View Post
Which wifi device did you go for?
Built my own as per this guide:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1484555

Same as the one provided by bm3 except you need to build it and write the file to the sd card yourself. Easy enough however.
Appreciate 1
M2C_PLUS1660.50