BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Almost pooped my pants today

01-26-2021, 06:16 PM   #1
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Almost pooped my pants today

So I hop into my M2 today(n55, 16k miles) and fire it up, immediate warning on the dash along the lines of "Oil level below minimum do not drive".

I kill the engine immediately, pop the hood and check for anything obvious above and below. No signs of a leak. I then fire the car back up and get no warnings. I pull the code(1C4002) and clear it. It doesn't return so I drive the car long enough to utilize the "check oil level" function in iDrive and twice now it's registered as oil level being at the ideal level.

Wtf!

Also, while I've never been a fan of the lack of a dip stick this episode really aggravated me. One has to drain the oil completely to determine if the oil level is actually accurate vs wiping a little stick. So stupid. End rant.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 06:47 PM   #2
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2OG View Post
So I hop into my M2 today(n55, 16k miles) and fire it up, immediate warning on the dash along the lines of "Oil level below minimum do not drive".

I kill the engine immediately, pop the hood and check for anything obvious above and below. No signs of a leak. I then fire the car back up and get no warnings. I pull the code(1C4002) and clear it. It doesn't return so I drive the car long enough to utilize the "check oil level" function in iDrive and twice now it's registered as oil level being at the ideal level.

Wtf!

Also, while I've never been a fan of the lack of a dip stick this episode really aggravated me. One has to drain the oil completely to determine if the oil level is actually accurate vs wiping a little stick. So stupid. End rant.
I agree. Frustrating as hell not to have a dipstick. Really odd with your car. Update if you find out cause.
Appreciate 1
M2OG400.00
      01-26-2021, 06:50 PM   #3
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I've had random times where my dash lights up like a Christmas tree. Literally every warning goes off. Usually at the track rolling out of the paddock. I just shut it off, turn it back on, lights go away.

Really annoying, but it's only happened a couple of times and never had any actual issues.
Appreciate 1
M2OG400.00
      01-26-2021, 08:35 PM   #4
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:

Wtf!

I've heard this happening to cars that have been flash tuned. Sometimes they need to reflash but the error usually just goes away.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 10:58 PM   #5
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceCity View Post
You can check oil level by pooping off the oil filter cap. It's the highest oil repository in the vehicle, so if there is oil in there then it's good.
I looked in there but have no frame of reference for how it should normally look as I've never looked before. Everything was coated in oil but I can't imagine that area should look like a reservoir. Do you mind posting a shot of what it looks like? I think at this point I'm fine and it was a false alarm but it can't hurt to know
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 10:59 PM   #6
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:

Wtf!

I've heard this happening to cars that have been flash tuned. Sometimes they need to reflash but the error usually just goes away.
Interesting, I have been running a flash tune but recently loaded a new map/reflashed. Hopefully the next revision shakes things up and this doesn't happen again
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 05:44 AM   #7
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
You can check oil level by pooping off the oil filter cap. It's the highest oil repository in the vehicle, so if there is oil in there then it's good.
Sounds like you have more than just oil in that repository
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 06:13 AM   #8
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

These oil sensors do go bad occasionally. If you're still under warranty might be worth having the dealer at least take a look so they can note the fault in system. That way if it fails out of warranty BMW would be more inclined to help.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 08:15 AM   #9
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Were you parked on an incline/decline?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 12:25 AM   #10
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep

It happened again this morning. Same exact scenario. Parked on a level garage floor. Unfortunately my warranty just lapsed in January but that's ok, gotta pay to play.

I did flash an updated map today. If it happens again tomorrow I'll drain the oil and measure it on Friday and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 10:04 AM   #11
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Why isn't the assumption that the oil sensor & car are doing what they're supposed to do and are letting you know that your oil level is close to minimum?

Our cars do burn some oil. I would add 1/2 to 3/4 a quart to see if the message goes away, unless you're already close to your oil change interval.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 11:17 AM   #12
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Because blindly adding oil is dumb. why risk over filling and second guessing like that?
And you think your great idea of just looking down in the oil fill hole is any better? Give me a break. Some of your other advice on the forum is pretty questionable as well.

There’s enough room in our oiling system to handle an extra 1/2 quart without any issue unless you overfilled it to begin with.

I just think it’s silly that for a motor that’s known to burn a little oil (especially when tuned!), that it’s telling you it’s close to minimum level and the responses here are why is my dumb car telling me this??

This isn't an uncommon thing. Try adding a 1/2 quart to see if it goes away.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2021, 11:27 AM   #13
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

He said that he flash tuned his car. It is a known issue because they use a tune from an engine with a larger oil capacity. They tweek the tune but sometimes it still shows the oil low error. A reflash will probably fix the issue.

For those that think you can look in the oil fill hole of an engine and see a reservoir of oil...are you serious? That is just beyond ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 11:47 AM   #14
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
He said that he flash tuned his car. It is a known issue because they use a tune from an engine with a larger oil capacity. They tweek the tune but sometimes it still shows the oil low error. A reflash will probably fix the issue.

For those that think you can look in the oil fill hole of an engine and see a reservoir of oil...are you serious? That is just beyond ridiculous.
Interesting. I’ve flashed tons of maps via BM3 for the last couple years and haven’t had this issue.

Can you point to others that have had this problem? Not being sarcastic, I’m genuinely intrigued in case I need to watch out for this.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 12:45 PM   #15
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

It happened to me along time ago so I read up on the issue. I can't find the exact thread where the error was specifically discussed. I think for me it was the M4CS BM3 tune that gave me the error. Once I ran the manual oil check routine it stopped. I am now hooked on the M2CS tune which is perfect. It has less torque but IMHO in stock form the M2C chassis doesn't handle all that torque very well, it gets squirrelly. I think bigger tires and coilovers would handle the extra torque nicely.
Some references I found...
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...l#post24467605

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...447224&page=22
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      01-28-2021, 01:08 PM   #16
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It happened to me along time ago so I read up on the issue. I can't find the exact thread where the error was specifically discussed. I think for me it was the M4CS BM3 tune that gave me the error. Once I ran the manual oil check routine it stopped. I am now hooked on the M2CS tune which is perfect. It has less torque but IMHO in stock form the M2C chassis doesn't handle all that torque very well, it gets squirrelly. I think bigger tires and coilovers would handle the extra torque nicely.
Some references I found...
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...l#post24467605

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...447224&page=22
Gotcha. I haven't heard this being an issue for M2's. OP has an M2 (hence his user name).

Altho, this is a good piece of info to know for the M2C guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 01:15 PM   #17
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Gotcha. I haven't heard this being an issue for M2's. OP has an M2 (hence his user name).

Altho, this is a good piece of info to know for the M2C guys!
I guess my info is not really applicable to the OG, but ya never know. Saw flash tune and it sparked my memory, guess I jumped the gun 🙄.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 01:21 PM   #18
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Where did I say to look down the oil fill hole? I said to look in the oil FILTER reservoir.

And no, there is not enough room for a ,5 qrts of extra oil. Do some research in how dangerous that is. And again, no. M2 does not burn oil, we don't even use catch cans. Stop making up nonsense.
Still gonna say eyeballing oil level isn't good advice.

A tuned N55 doesn't burn oil? Heck, even non-tuned but driven hard N55's burn oil.

OP, if you're really worried about dropping in 1/2 quart when the car says your oil level is low, drain, measure, and let us know how much you have--just like you said.

I'm betting we'll find some oil needed to be added, just like the car said.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #19
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I guess my info is not really applicable to the OG, but ya never know. Saw flash tune and it sparked my memory, guess I jumped the gun 🙄.
No worries, that really is good info to know about tuned M2C's!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #20
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep

A little update for those that care. I flashed a updated map and after letting the car sit overnight it fired up without any warnings or issues.

So for now I'm going to chalk it up to flash tune none sense. Luckily I'll have the car on the lift tomorrow anyway so if it happens again I'll drain/measure the oil.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 01:59 PM   #21
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
A little update for those that care. I flashed a updated map and after letting the car sit overnight it fired up without any warnings or issues.

So for now I'm going to chalk it up to flash tune none sense. Luckily I'll have the car on the lift tomorrow anyway so if it happens again I'll drain/measure the oil.
IDK, I’d be surprised if this fixes it. We don’t have different oil capacity versions for different tunes for the N55.

I think you’re right at the low level amount and it’s triggering sometimes, sometimes not. I agree a dipstick would be helpful, but I still think all this is being overthought.

Let us know what you find out after more testing and if you drain & measure!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #22
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Quote:

IDK, I’d be surprised if this fixes it. We don’t have different oil capacity versions for different tunes for the N55.

I think you’re right at the low level amount and it’s triggering sometimes, sometimes not. I agree a dipstick would be helpful, but I still think all this is being overthought.

Let us know what you find out after more testing and if you drain & measure!
Yeah I agree.

I'm gonna let it ride for the time being. If it happens tomorrow I'll drain. But worst case I'm changing the oil in about 500 miles as I'm still breaking in a new turbo
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50