BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > .

07-29-2018, 05:24 PM   #111
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleb View Post
Built my own as per this guide:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1484555

Same as the one provided by bm3 except you need to build it and write the file to the sd card yourself. Easy enough however.
I did this myself, because I had a spare RPi. Definitely cheaper, even if you have to start from scratch!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
M2C_PLUS1660.50

08-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #112
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 & G05 X5

How does this work without Wifi?

Keen to try this, but not sure I'd have the network strength on the driveway.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 12:18 PM   #113
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
How does this work without Wifi?

Keen to try this, but not sure I'd have the network strength on the driveway.
You tether to your phone's data plan.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 04:44 PM   #114
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2 & '07 BSM 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I did this myself, because I had a spare RPi. Definitely cheaper, even if you have to start from scratch!
Does anyone happen to know if anyone came out with a version of the image that will work on the newer version of the RP, the 3b+? I have one of these lying around and would love to give this a whirl. My understanding from one of the F30 threads was that the image simply needed to be updated with current 3b+ drivers. Sounded "easy" and I would have guessed that someone would have done it by now.

I'm a computer guy but not a RP guy, and it would take me a long time to figure it out, plus I'd probably need the older version to load it and update the drivers. And yeah, I'm both lazy and cheap so....just asking.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #115
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantComplain View Post
Does anyone happen to know if anyone came out with a version of the image that will work on the newer version of the RP, the 3b+? I have one of these lying around and would love to give this a whirl. My understanding from one of the F30 threads was that the image simply needed to be updated with current 3b+ drivers. Sounded "easy" and I would have guessed that someone would have done it by now.

I'm a computer guy but not a RP guy, and it would take me a long time to figure it out, plus I'd probably need the older version to load it and update the drivers. And yeah, I'm both lazy and cheap so....just asking.
I understand the desire for sure, but no... I was fortunate that I had a 3B rather than a + spare. Even though I think I could work it all out, I'd still probably drop the $30 on a 3B if I didn't have one, just to save the time and hassle.

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #116
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Sure wasn't a 10 minute detail

The agent wouldn't update for the laptop Mac. Tried and tried. Then I deleted every bootmod download and file. Started all the way over. Finally it worked.

I was able to get the stock tune saved and flashed the OTS GTS tune. But I get three codes Fuel Pump Module EKPM2 CED400 Climate Control IHKA3 and Engine DME 021208 coding missing

Car was hooked up to a trickle charger not a full size battery charger. Did this matter?

I cleared the codes and they came back. Flashed the stock tune and the codes remained. Interesting is the cold start turned off remained even when I flashed back to stock.

Left the trickle charger on last night and will try again the evening. I'll get out my full size battery charger and see if that makes a difference.

Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #117
MTWO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Did you do the online recode?
+1 its just the other button in the screen right under the flash button
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #118
18EM2
Public Last Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT LBB

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Can I use the Veepeak BLE to flash my tune?
2006 M Roadster
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 05:22 AM   #119
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

SOrry for reviving an old thread

but im very confused with how the obd agent WiFi dongle works. Does it need to be plugged into the obd port and need a usb connection for power? How are people running a usb connection for the obd device? From the centre console under the carpet to the obd port? Or do I have this completely wrong lol please help
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #120
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristosD View Post
SOrry for reviving an old thread

but im very confused with how the obd agent WiFi dongle works. Does it need to be plugged into the obd port and need a usb connection for power? How are people running a usb connection for the obd device? From the centre console under the carpet to the obd port? Or do I have this completely wrong lol please help
Yes, all of your assumptions are correct. Most of the DIYs I've seen are routing the wire from the OBD port to under the drivers seat, and picking up power from the center console.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 01:58 AM   #121
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantComplain View Post
Yes, all of your assumptions are correct. Most of the DIYs I've seen are routing the wire from the OBD port to under the drivers seat, and picking up power from the center console.
Thank you very much, thought i was going a little bit crazy. do you have any DIY links for me?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #122
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristosD View Post
Thank you very much, thought i was going a little bit crazy. do you have any DIY links for me?
Sorry, not so much a DIY as a "here's what I did."

Example

I still have mine out and flopping around while I knock out other things on my list. but I think if you just go through and route and tuck wires as you go you'll be fine.

Last edited by CantComplain; 11-12-2018 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: post 38
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 10:43 PM   #123
garfunko
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18EM2 View Post
Can I use the Veepeak BLE to flash my tune?
I also wanted to know this. I have this Bluetooth adapter that I used for Bimmercode, and wanted to know if this would work for Bm3.

If not,

are my options to either use a laptop with cable, or dish out 300$ for the BM3 adapter, or build a custom device. Is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 12:18 AM   #124
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfunko View Post
I also wanted to know this. I have this Bluetooth adapter that I used for Bimmercode, and wanted to know if this would work for Bm3.

If not,

are my options to either use a laptop with cable, or dish out 300$ for the BM3 adapter, or build a custom device. Is that correct?
The BM3 OBD Agent software that runs either on a laptop or on the OBD Agent Device (which is simply a Raspberry Pi) does a lot more than simply establish communication with the vehicle over the OBD port.

An E-Net cable connects the OBD to the OBD Agent so the Bluetooth or WiFi adapter that you're referring to is synonymous with the E-Net cable not the OBD Agent software.

The OBD agent stores your BM3 maps locally to itself so that you can flash the map without having to be online. The app on the phone is basically just a web-page in an app, and doesn't store anything.

By talking to the developer of BimmerCode, I learnt that his software at least, does not use the E-Net protocol to communicate with his app, and rather uses some older, slower and less reliable approach that is prone to errors as I found to my cost when I started trying to use BimmerCode.

E-Net is faster and far more reliable. For simple coding, that may not be important to you, but for flashing a DME, I'd like the like to be rock solid and fast!

Although the phone app / webpage may communicate over WiFi with the OBD Agent, all of the important communication with the car is done from the OBD software to the car via the wired E-Net interface. Nothing important is sent over WiFi.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 02:54 AM   #125
///LBB Rav
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LBB

charger for initial tune?

Ive been searching for a while now but for a car that is regularly driven, what sort of charger would I require for the initial tune (12V but how many amps?). I'm assuming a trickle charger won't do? does 10amps seem sufficient or perhaps 20A? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #126
garfunko
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
The BM3 OBD Agent software that runs either on a laptop or on the OBD Agent Device (which is simply a Raspberry Pi) does a lot more than simply establish communication with the vehicle over the OBD port.

An E-Net cable connects the OBD to the OBD Agent so the Bluetooth or WiFi adapter that you're referring to is synonymous with the E-Net cable not the OBD Agent software.

The OBD agent stores your BM3 maps locally to itself so that you can flash the map without having to be online. The app on the phone is basically just a web-page in an app, and doesn't store anything.

By talking to the developer of BimmerCode, I learnt that his software at least, does not use the E-Net protocol to communicate with his app, and rather uses some older, slower and less reliable approach that is prone to errors as I found to my cost when I started trying to use BimmerCode.

E-Net is faster and far more reliable. For simple coding, that may not be important to you, but for flashing a DME, I'd like the like to be rock solid and fast!

Although the phone app / webpage may communicate over WiFi with the OBD Agent, all of the important communication with the car is done from the OBD software to the car via the wired E-Net interface. Nothing important is sent over WiFi.
Thanks so much for the detailed response.

Having said that, the recommended options would be to buy the OBD agent from BM3 or a similar E-Net protocol, or I could use my laptop for the flashing to avoid potential issues.

Is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #127
adesalos
Rep
Drives: ferrari challenge stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlook637 View Post
Sure wasn't a 10 minute detail

The agent wouldn't update for the laptop Mac. Tried and tried. Then I deleted every bootmod download and file. Started all the way over. Finally it worked.

I was able to get the stock tune saved and flashed the OTS GTS tune. But I get three codes Fuel Pump Module EKPM2 CED400 Climate Control IHKA3 and Engine DME 021208 coding missing

Car was hooked up to a trickle charger not a full size battery charger. Did this matter?

I cleared the codes and they came back. Flashed the stock tune and the codes remained. Interesting is the cold start turned off remained even when I flashed back to stock.

Left the trickle charger on last night and will try again the evening. I'll get out my full size battery charger and see if that makes a difference.

Any tips?
did that get resolved for you?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 08:29 PM   #128
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfunko View Post
Thanks so much for the detailed response.

Having said that, the recommended options would be to buy the OBD agent from BM3 or a similar E-Net protocol, or I could use my laptop for the flashing to avoid potential issues.

Is that correct?
Laptop + Enet cable is by far the cheapest and safest option. It also opens up the possibility of doing E-Sys and ISTA+, which are far safer than Bimmercode.

The obd agent is just a raspberry Pi. You can build one, of I can build you one you less than $100. The benefit of the obd agent is that you can leave it in your car for collecting data logs while you drive around, and you can use your phone to flash wherever you are.

As you might have guessed... I have both.
Appreciate 0