BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Almost pooped my pants today

01-28-2021, 05:13 PM   #23
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceCity View Post
I would say visually inspecting the oil level is much better advice than yours of blindly adding .5 to .75 quarts of oil.

It's a 16k mile car ffs. Really doubt it burned that much in such few miles. But also, he's had oil chances since then. How many miles has it been since his last oil change? Less than 1000 I assume. Which makes assuming he burnt so much oil in such few miles not the smartest assessment.
The car is telling him it's low on oil, add a half quart to see if the message goes away. That's exactly how the majority of M2 owners handle this situation, not turn the car on/off to see if it goes away or look to see if they see oil. That doesn't make sense.

And as he said he's breaking in a new turbo...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 09:11 PM   #24
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Yeah, the turbo was installed approximately 500 miles ago, the oil was changed and I planned on changing it again around the 1000 mile mark. I haven't observed any weird smells or smoking so I don't think it's burning oil. When its on the lift tomorrow I'll take a closer look to insure there are no leaks I could have missed. But also, I've had gremlins before. Like the iDrive system completely freaking out and resetting one time about a month after I took delivery(only happened once and never again in 4 years). So that said, I def do not think its actually low on oil but instead a glitch in a sensor or dme.

Also, the reason why I am not just adding oil is because the warning isn't sustained. I know the warning will go away if I just cycle the ignition. So by adding oil I won't know if that's really "fixing" it as the warning will go away regardless.

Last edited by M2OG; 01-28-2021 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: Edit: I reserve the right to be wrong
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 11:06 PM   #25
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

I’m still placing my bet on the oil is right at the minimum level (whether not enough was added, or there is a larger engine issue related to the needed turbo replacement) and it triggers the add oil message every now and then.

That message going on & off isn’t uncommon for guys that track their cars and get some oil burn, and I doubt it’s related to the one time full iDrive freak out you had 4 years ago.

Let us know how it goes at the shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 01:30 AM   #26
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep

I wasn't implying its at all related to the iDrive freakout. Im just illustrating that BMW puts shit electronics in their cars and as such, I've experienced gremlins throughout owning this vehicle and other BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 09:40 AM   #27
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

The other argument against it really being low on oil, the original poster says after it happened the first time and he reset things, let the engine run until he was able to run the full engine oil level check through iDrive and it said it was at the ideal level. If the oil was a low level then that check should have shown the oil as on the lower end of the range.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 10:24 AM   #28
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
The other argument against it really being low on oil, the original poster says after it happened the first time and he reset things, let the engine run until he was able to run the full engine oil level check through iDrive and it said it was at the ideal level. If the oil was a low level then that check should have shown the oil as on the lower end of the range.
This happens all the time to the guys that track their cars and get a little burn. When it’s close to minimum threshold you can get a warning on startup and then it goes away once warm and doing an oil level check. A 1/2 quart fixes it.

Based on my experience this situation is being overblown and overthought, but let’s see what the OP finds. There may be more to this story.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2021, 03:25 PM   #29
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep

Tiny update. I didn't change/measure the oil as I didn't have time but it's now been several days and the message hasn't returned.

My strong suspicion is can bus weirdness. I'm realizing that my flex fuel sensor being wired to the cig lighter for power is causing some weird sleep issues. I suspect it's all related. I'm going to find a new power source for that and see how things flush out
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 04:39 PM   #30
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Chaecking oil level

Oil drains from the Oil Filter Housing to the Crank Case. The Oil Filter Housing is on a slight angle, the only oil you will see here is in that slight divet at the bottom of the Housing that can't drain to Crank Case. Anyone who thinks they can "Check the Oil Level" there doesn't know what their talking about.
      02-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #31
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Oil drains from the Oil Filter Housing to the Crank Case. The Oil Filter Housing is on a slight angle, the only oil you will see here is in that slight divet at the bottom of the Housing that can't drain to Crank Case. Anyone who thinks they can "Check the Oil Level" there doesn't know what their talking about.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 04:41 AM   #32
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Easiest way is to just tap up the side of the block until it sounds hollow, should be less than an inch from the head gasket. Ouija board will also work, if you get the CAN-BUS-attachment. Or you can quit listening to trolls and either trust the sensors or spring for a real dipstick if you must: https://www.apmotorsport.co.uk/produ...235iR-dipstick
Appreciate 0