BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bootmod3 Stage 2 93: Car doesn't feel any faster?

05-26-2022, 06:23 PM   #23
eddymmm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddymmm View Post
Do i need to wait until my tank goes full empty to avoid mixing fuels?
Fuel mixing doesn’t matter, but if you want to truly test the fuel quality theory you need to burn down your current tank and then fill up with Shell 93.
Emptied tank. Got some shell 93 and reflashed to stock then back to stg2 93 octane. Going to take some fresh logs and post them on here
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 11:38 PM   #24
eddymmm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

93 Shell reflashed

Quote:
Quote:
In the higher band it feels normal. Just doesnt feel like theres that oomph
Starting WOT too low in a higher gear essentially causes the tune to pull back boost and timing, and then it's just trying to catch up but your fuel quality doesn't look great and your IATs are high = not great power.

Grab some Shell 93 and start your pull at 2500rpm and I bet all this goes away. Post up more logs when you have them.

Also, if you had an arbitrarily bad tank of gas (worse than this one) and started your WOT pulls under 1K in 3/4 gear, you have a decent risk of messing up your engine. Just not a good idea to do ever, really. F87source can expand.
Got some new logs if you wouldn't mind reviewing

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6291...0b434491aa3cc4

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6291...90c64ddba19754

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6291...90c65111bcc526
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 10:37 AM   #25
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Looks much better to me. How does it feel?

I’d also try a few pulls when ambient is 15F+ higher just to see how the logs look with high IATs.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 10:40 AM   #26
eddymmm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks much better to me. How does it feel?

I’d also try a few pulls when ambient is 15F+ higher just to see how the logs look with high IATs.
Feels much smoother forsure. Burbles sound a bit weird but that can be altered. Just want to confirm since I am already scheduled to go back to the shop that installed my chargepipe, no signs of boost leak correct?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 10:44 AM   #27
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Feels much smoother forsure. Burbles sound a bit weird but that can be altered. Just want to confirm since I am already scheduled to go back to the shop that installed my chargepipe, no signs of boost leak correct?
You’re meeting boost target in the upper RPMs and WGDC doesn’t top out until redline, so looks good to me.

If you ever try the E30 or Racegas maps, those have higher boost targets to double confirm a leak or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 08:15 PM   #28
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

You're trying to get blood from a stone, the N55 motor and turbo in the M2 is already tapped out. By tuning it, you're basically just moving the power band from higher up to lower down, not actually adding much more power because it's already skirting its limits.

Here's Dinan's take on N55 in the M2:

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 09:16 PM   #29
eddymmm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
You're trying to get blood from a stone, the N55 motor and turbo in the M2 is already tapped out. By tuning it, you're basically just moving the power band from higher up to lower down, not actually adding much more power because it's already skirting its limits.

Im not trying to turn this thing into something absurd. Just want to make sure car is operating as its supposed to. Maybe my expectations were too high. But I genuinely think something was off the first time. It felt kind of limp. Now it definitely feels "faster" and WOT the car hits 100 and just keeps going, where as before it felt like it struggled and tapped out after 110-120.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 10:08 PM   #30
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Dinan was a shitty tuner of the N55.

BM3 Stg 2 93 on the stock turbo makes more power to redline than Dinan Stg 4 with the Dinan “big turbo”.

But thanks for chiming in without looking at logs and actually using any brainpower (if you have any) to help.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 12:12 AM   #31
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:

BM3 Stg 2 93 on the stock turbo makes more power to redline than Dinan Stg 4 with the Dinan “big turbo”.

But thanks for chiming in without looking at logs and actually using any brainpower (if you have any) to help.

Fax

Also, their intercooler sucks too.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 04:08 AM   #32
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

BM3 Stg 2 93 on the stock turbo makes more power to redline than Dinan Stg 4 with the Dinan "big turbo".

WoW pinched a nerved I see.. Facts can do that to a soy boy..

Even BMW stated that the N55 is skirting the edge of its limits. It wasn't even built as an M motor, just a standard engine juiced close to its margins but no one is a better tuner than a disillusioned customer, so you keep salivating at those BS logs and keep pushing the motor even further, if it helps you sleep better at night - until the motor blows up and you have to push your car home.

BTW, I owned two different cars with that motor, so I know it like the back of my hand, just calling it like I see it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 05:56 AM   #33
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Gents, plenty of us running 475-530+ whp with zero issues. And, it drives and sounds a hell of a lot better than the S55 (if you can even find one that you can flash).

Again, OP’s issue was crap gas, but you didn’t take the time to review and help. Just espouse some old tuner language from years ago.
Appreciate 3
      05-29-2022, 08:53 PM   #34
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

This is incredibly outdated information, from back when piggyback tunes were the only option. The N55 is no S55 from a tuning standpoint, but flash tunes have gotten significantly more power than the piggybacks did.

Also, quit being a dick to people for no reason. Nobody is impressed by a keyboard warrior.
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2022, 12:10 PM   #35
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Gents, plenty of us running 475-530+ whp with zero issues. And, it drives and sounds a hell of a lot better than the S55 (if you can even find one that you can flash).

Again, OP's issue was crap gas, but you didn't take the time to review and help. Just espouse some old tuner language from years ago.
Are people getting that whp on stock hardware and pump gas? It was my understanding you'd at least need either a turbo upgrade or fuel pump upgrade (or both) to reach that level.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8714.50
      05-31-2022, 12:44 PM   #36
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
This is incredibly outdated information, from back when piggyback tunes were the only option. The N55 is no S55 from a tuning standpoint, but flash tunes have gotten significantly more power than the piggybacks did.

Also, quit being a dick to people for no reason. Nobody is impressed by a keyboard warrior.
Does Dinan's own flash suck, too? Because they say they get no more power out of their flash for their Stage 4 M2 N55 than their piggy got....
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2022, 07:52 PM   #37
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post

Does Dinan's own flash suck, too? Because they say they get no more power out of their flash for their Stage 4 M2 N55 than their piggy got....
Finally, someone who's common sense is not clouded by emotions.

Out the gate, the N55 in the M2 is pretty much tapped out in headroom for any more power. You literally feel the engine running out of steam as it approaches the redline.

You can flash tune it removing all the safety parameters built in and maybe peak 450hp for a brief moment of log bragging but it's not too smart because it pushes the turbo well outside its efficiency range for minimal performance gains and the turbo and fuel inherent limitations won't be able to maintain that power for any longer without running lean..

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26283510

http://mywikimotors.com/n55b30/
Attached Images

Last edited by Poochie; 05-31-2022 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 3
      06-01-2022, 05:04 AM   #38
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Are people getting that whp on stock hardware and pump gas? It was my understanding you'd at least need either a turbo upgrade or fuel pump upgrade (or both) to reach that level.
No.

And yes turbo HPFP upgrade....

Been there done that.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
      08-23-2022, 04:27 PM   #39
///MFrankie
///MHead
No_Country
Rep
Drives: MK2 Focus RS Stage 4+

Garage List
OP did you ever resolve this issue?

Plenty of guys running stage 2 (430 ish bhp and 500 lbs/ft) they say the car is another level and so much more fun.

Something was defo wrong.
      08-23-2022, 05:51 PM   #40
eddymmm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MFrankie View Post
OP did you ever resolve this issue?

Plenty of guys running stage 2 (430 ish bhp and 500 lbs/ft) they say the car is another level and so much more fun.

Something was defo wrong.
Yessir. Drained tank to near empty refilled with 93 shell and it has been steady since. I was running 93 chevron before, think it was just bad fuel
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 07:08 PM   #41
///MFrankie
///MHead
No_Country
Rep
Drives: MK2 Focus RS Stage 4+

Garage List
Quote:
Yessir. Drained tank to near empty refilled with 93 shell and it has been steady since. I was running 93 chevron before, think it was just bad fuel
So... How is stage 2?