BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Apple CarPlay vs standard connection questions.

04-29-2022, 08:40 AM   #1
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Apple CarPlay vs standard connection questions.

Hey guys, please forgive these simple questions, but I'm having issues with my phone's music connection and would like to get them resolved in the best way possible.

I have a 2018 LCI with the Ex package, and I *think* it has CarPlay.

From day 1 my phone has been set up/paired normal, not through CarPlay, so my music just comes up on the screen when I get in the car.

However, every few months I'll have an issue where the connection will just drop, and getting it back ranges from easy (forget device and pair it again) to where I'm at now where I can see the music on the screen but have to change songs on my phone. Sometimes the music won't work no matter what I do, but I've never had issues with talking, it's just the music.

If I'm honest, this is a big hassle, so I've been considering switching to Apple CarPlay.

I've seen people using the ACP thing, but never thought I needed it because I don't really use apps while I'm in the car, just the music and voice, but since I'm constantly having problems I'm wondering if I switch to ACP they'll be resolved.

1. Has anyone else used the standard connection and switched to ACP and had less issues?
2. What's the big reason to use ACP over the standard connection (if the standard connection works properly)?
3. If I just listen to music does it use my data?

Sorry for the n00b questions, and any advice would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 01:20 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
CarPlay was a $500 option and wasn't included in the executive package. You can probably see if CarPlay is active through the idrive. My iPhone screen shows CarPay every time I start my engine.

Have you tried just hooking your phone up hardwired through the USB port? That should solve your problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 01:26 PM   #3
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
CarPlay was a $500 option and wasn't included in the executive package. You can probably see if CarPlay is active through the idrive. My iPhone screen shows CarPay every time I start my engine.

Have you tried just hooking your phone up hardwired through the USB port? That should solve your problem.
I'll check for it when I get my car back, thank you.

I have never tried hooking the phone up through the USB, but certainly will now. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 01:33 PM   #4
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I have a 2018 LCI with the Ex package, and I *think* it has CarPlay.
Yep, my '18 LCI M2 also has the Exec Pkg. And it has CarPlay as part of it. Though, near as I can tell, CarPlay only works wirelessly, not over the wired USB connection.

Quote:
From day 1 my phone has been set up/paired normal, not through CarPlay, so my music just comes up on the screen when I get in the car.
Same for me, though the music or podcast comes up via CarPlay first thing once I turn the car on.

Quote:
1. Has anyone else used the standard connection and switched to ACP and had less issues?
I have used wireless CarPlay since day one. But, whenever my wife drives around with me and wants to play music from her phone, she plugs in via USB and uses the iDrive native interface for playing music. Seems to work quite well for her. We haven't experienced any drop outs or loss of connection over the USB cable.

Quote:
2. What's the big reason to use ACP over the standard connection (if the standard connection works properly)?
I like CarPlay because I think the interface is great for a quick glances while driving. Also the Siri-based voice control is FAR better than the BMW voice control.

Quote:
3. If I just listen to music does it use my data?
Anytime that you listen to music that is not stored on your phone already, yes you'll be using your data package that's part of your cell phone plan.

Quote:
Sorry for the n00b questions, and any advice would be appreciated.
No worries! Asking questions is part of how we learn.
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2022, 01:36 PM   #5
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe2000 View Post
Yep, my '18 LCI M2 also has the Exec Pkg. And it has CarPlay as part of it. Though, near as I can tell, CarPlay only works wirelessly, not over the wired USB connection.

Same for me, though the music or podcast comes up via CarPlay first thing once I turn the car on.

I have used wireless CarPlay since day one. But, whenever my wife drives around with me and wants to play music from her phone, she plugs in via USB and uses the iDrive native interface for playing music. Seems to work quite well for her. We haven't experienced any drop outs or loss of connection over the USB cable.

I like CarPlay because I think the interface is great for a quick glances while driving. Also the Siri-based voice control is FAR better than the BMW voice control.

Anytime that you listen to music that is not stored on your phone already, yes you'll be using your data package that's part of your cell phone plan.

No worries! Asking questions is part of how we learn.
Thanks for the detailed responses!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 10:50 PM   #6
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

CarPlay has improved over time. It runs smoothly on newer phones, and the graphics/detail in Apple Maps far exceeds the factory navigation as mentioned above.

There is a nice ‘dashboard’ feature that shows music, Map, and other widgets like your calendar on one screen which is slick because it’ll throw your next meeting up as the day goes on. If the event is setup right, you can even dial in to calls from the event.

If you’re someone that uses Microsoft Teams, Siri will now read your messages like she can incoming texts. The whole thing is just leaps and bounds better than the factory experience, especially if you stream music through Spotify or Apple Music.

This video from BMW shows you roughly how to connect. If you don’t see it as an option, you can call BMW and pay em or hit up Kubax86 on here and he can enable it. You’re going to want to connect with him regardless to get it working full screen. It kinda sucks without fullscreen enabled honestly. It’s not a hack, it’s a native option he enables for you.

Last edited by ///393; 04-29-2022 at 11:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13765.50
jefe2000729.00
      05-06-2022, 01:13 PM   #7
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
My car does have CarPlay, so I set that up, kinda'. I don't see anything on my phone, but the music plays. The only thing I miss is the list view. Mine looks like the pic below.

Didn't realize I had to have Siri enabled to make it work, which kinda' sucks, but the music plays correctly now, so thanks for that!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 01:04 PM   #8
///393
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My car does have CarPlay, so I set that up, kinda'. I don't see anything on my phone, but the music plays. The only thing I miss is the list view. Mine looks like the pic below.

Didn't realize I had to have Siri enabled to make it work, which kinda' sucks, but the music plays correctly now, so thanks for that!
Is it showing up fullscreen or do you still see iDrive on a portion of the screen? If it’s not fullscreen, get that enabled.

Here is a decent video covering CarPlay that gives you a decent rundown of some of the less obvious stuff the newer version supports.

Use the rotary knob for navigation instead of touch as demonstrated. The concept is that when using CarPlay, you interact with it via the knob or Siri from the steering wheel and not the phone itself though it’s still possible.

Last edited by ///393; 05-07-2022 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13765.50
      05-07-2022, 04:03 PM   #9
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Is it showing up fullscreen or do you still see iDrive on a portion of the screen? If it’s not fullscreen, get that enabled.

Here is a decent video covering CarPlay that gives you a decent rundown of some of the less obvious stuff the newer version supports.

Use the rotary knob for navigation instead of touch as demonstrated. The concept is that when using CarPlay, you interact with it via the knob or Siri from the steering wheel and not the phone itself though it’s still possible.

Cool video, thanks for that.

It's not full screen, but I don't really care to pay $150 to make it so, doesn't bother me at all.

I also never touch the screen, I use the iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 07:33 PM   #10
///393
Captain
Rep

Hit up Kubax86 on here or check out his website at https://bimmer-remote.com/collection...kaAmS0EALw_wcB

It’s $54 not $150 for fullscreen.

You can come back later and have him update you with the M2CS programming for the diff and stability control. Well worth the investment and you don’t have to leave the house.

Last edited by ///393; 05-07-2022 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13765.50
      05-07-2022, 09:08 PM   #11
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Hit up Kubax86 on here or check out his website at https://bimmer-remote.com/collection...kaAmS0EALw_wcB

It’s $54 not $150 for fullscreen.

You can come back later and have him update you with the M2CS programming for the diff and stability control. Well worth the investment and you don’t have to leave the house.
This is the link he sent me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 10:46 PM   #12
///393
Captain
Rep

Ah hell yeah I guess your software requires updating.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 07:46 AM   #13
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Does anyone have any carplay issues recently? On Ios 15.5?
      05-27-2022, 08:05 AM   #14
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I didn't know about that update, and even though I have automatic updates turned on it hasn't loaded on my phone yet. You're having issues? What kind of issues?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 03:23 PM   #15
///393
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Mine has been running smooth. Last time I ran into issues I restarted my phone (which was overdue) and disconnected the device entirely from iDrive and went through the reconnection process and it resolved itself.

YMMV. Let us know.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 07:35 PM   #16
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Mine has been running smooth. Last time I ran into issues I restarted my phone (which was overdue) and disconnected the device entirely from iDrive and went through the reconnection process and it resolved itself.

YMMV. Let us know.
Seems to be ok now... was running odd in an X3... waze was glitching out and pandora refused to play.