BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Stage 1 Tuning 447BHP - Ross Sport / Tuningtech FS

06-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #23
Mil996
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2

Any updates on how the tuneing is going
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 07:21 AM   #24
Ross W
Private
Rep

All going well, not had much time for development recently.
But the new TTFS pump is kicking ass as you can see from this log, its got plenty of potential.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #25
Ross W
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteM2 View Post
Hi Ross, how is this all going?

What is needed to run this or can it tun off the current M2 software?
The HPFP is plug & play.
Just need the bytes to run the pump added to your DME calibration.

Can either provide this or a full custom calibration.
Appreciate 3
Bee Pee1779.00
M2C_PLUS1774.00
ceedawg467.50
      07-12-2018, 11:41 PM   #26
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross W View Post
The HPFP is plug & play.
Just need the bytes to run the pump added to your DME calibration.

Can either provide this or a full custom calibration.
Ross, need concrete result on power. Let us know.
ceedawg467.50
M2C_PLUS1774.00
      07-13-2018, 12:42 AM   #27
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Subscribed!!!
      07-13-2018, 03:29 AM   #28
Leonidm2
Private
Rep
Drives: bmwm2

Hi Ross,I'm interested , what is the gain in power on this pump compared to a oem pump?
On the stock turbine, is it there?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 05:43 AM   #29
Ross W
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
We found with the stock HPFP even in stock form the pressure was dropping to 180bar at the top end. Stage 1 tune to 1.0-1.1bar is possible and yields c.430bhp with supporting mods. I pushed mine a bit harder but its right on the edge.
With the TTFS HPFP & Stock turbo you can run up to 1.5bar in the mid range, the boost will naturally taper off to 1.25-1.3bar at the top end due to the efficiency of the turbo running out. However the fuel pressure is rock solid 200bar.
At this level 460-470bhp is possible, this is where mine is now. Im just doing a bit more long term testing before we will offer this level.

What is really wants (and what we are working on) is a larger more efficient turbo that can flow 55lb/min. Thus we should be able to get to 530bhp comfortably, at sensible boost & keeping the EMBP below 2:1. We are sure the TTFS pump will support this on pump fuel / race fuel.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 06:04 AM   #30
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
We found with the stock HPFP even in stock form the pressure was dropping to 180bar at the top end. Stage 1 tune to 1.0-1.1bar is possible and yields c.430bhp with supporting mods. I pushed mine a bit harder but its right on the edge.
With the TTFS HPFP & Stock turbo you can run up to 1.5bar in the mid range, the boost will naturally taper off to 1.25-1.3bar at the top end due to the efficiency of the turbo running out. However the fuel pressure is rock solid 200bar.
At this level 460-470bhp is possible, this is where mine is now. Im just doing a bit more long term testing before we will offer this level.

What is really wants (and what we are working on) is a larger more efficient turbo that can flow 55lb/min. Thus we should be able to get to 530bhp comfortably, at sensible boost & keeping the EMBP below 2:1. We are sure the TTFS pump will support this on pump fuel / race fuel.
Ross, thanks for coming back to me.

I'll make it clear for American guys here - you're running 22psi (1.5bar) at mid range and 18-18.8psi (1.25-1.3bar) at top end.

I've handled more than a few M2s, I do not think you have enough octane to combat back pressure of stock turbo.

I don't even think you have octane to do that on PS2.
      07-13-2018, 06:15 AM   #31
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'll make it clear for American guys here - you're running 22psi (1.5bar) at mid range and 18-18.8psi (1.25-1.3bar) at top end.

I've handled more than a few M2s, I do not think you have enough octane to combat back pressure of stock turbo.

I don't even think you have octane to do that on PS2.
Don't forget us Aussies
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 06:25 AM   #32
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:

I don't even think you have octane to do that on PS2
Sean - not sure what you are saying in your last 2 lines above and to who - reads to me like you are doubting Ross' claims re HPFP + stock turbo.....a tad ballsy.

Having met Ross at his workshop, seen his Time Attack M2 and heard 1st hand how his good working relationship with TTFS' Frank Smith in the USA is evolving ie TTFS maps have been tweaked to suit fuel we get here in the UK, which could be why Ross' M2 can cope with more boost perhaps.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #33
Ross W
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricki View Post
Don't forget us Aussies
Back pressure is a huge issue agreed, but there is more to be had from the stock turbo with the HPFP upgrade. Thats really whats in question here.
Will get some data up ASAP for you guys to see. Even at 1.3 bar flat its noticeable stronger and give the smoothest feel at this level to be honest.
Its good to tune knowing the fuel pressure is solid (keeps lots of of other tables happy ) and the little bit extra you can get from the stock turbo is very noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 08:07 AM   #34
Ross W
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteM2 View Post
Perfect Ross, come on already for a kit for us
More details here:

https://www.rosssport.com/Brands/TUNING-TECH-FS
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #35
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:

Why does the vehicle need to be tuned to use this pump? Does it have to be your tune or would a Dinan stage 4 work?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #36
Ross W
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Why does the vehicle need to be tuned to use this pump? Does it have to be your tune or would a Dinan stage 4 work?
Best bet is speak to TTFS if you are in the states.
They can provide the bytes to run the pump to any tuner so you can use who you prefer.
I believe Bootmod3 & MHD are already supported.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #37
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
So that's about 2200 to 2500.00 US for that pump I guess! Nice pump but Wow!!!
      07-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #38
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Let's forget about HPFP for a while. Think what you can do with meth on stock turbo.

Meth boosts fueling, cooling and octane at the same time, blowing any HPFP upgrade out of water. Yet we see very few can do 22~18psi on stock turbo even piled with JB4. Those who can, have the timing all over the place and also overheat turbo and IAT in a single run.

How do I know? Because I have a M2 test car on meth. That's the car we have absolutely no mechanical sympathy for, and do whatever we can to (meth, ethanol, race gas, eBay intercooler, 100usd downpipe, charge pipe made by whoever we don't know...Dinan turbo, Chinese EBay turbo, Taiwanese EBay turbo, maybe PS2 down the line, though PS2 M2 we just installed one a few weeks ago). This car is how I get to know M2 capabilities from all the angles.

There is only so much you can flow with stock turbo and only so much boost pump gas can support. And when properly tuned, octane restriction from our testing comes just at the same time as if not earlier than HPFP restriction.

Try talk to any decent tuners that because you have PI, so you want a 22psi peak and 18psi top end map, and not look like trying to kill your N55.

People here, with little to none testing and datalogging experience, tend to believe what he want to believe.

Or, maybe European numbers are different, I don't know, maybe.
ceedawg467.50
Tricki215.00
      07-13-2018, 12:41 PM   #39
Ross W
Private
Rep

Quote:
Let's forget about HPFP for a while. Think what you can do with meth on stock turbo.

Meth boosts fueling, cooling and octane at the same time, blowing any HPFP upgrade out of water. Yet we see very few can do 22~18psi on stock turbo even piled with JB4. Those who can, have the timing all over the place and also overheat turbo and IAT in a single run.

How do I know? Because I have a M2 test car on meth. That's the car we have absolutely no mechanical sympathy for, and do whatever we can to (meth, ethanol, race gas, eBay intercooler, 100usd downpipe, charge pipe made by whoever we don't know...Dinan turbo, Chinese EBay turbo, Taiwanese EBay turbo, maybe PS2 down the line, though PS2 M2 we just installed one a few weeks ago). This car is how I get to know M2 capabilities from all the angles.

There is only so much you can flow with stock turbo and only so much boost pump gas can support. And when properly tuned, octane restriction from our testing comes just at the same time as if not earlier than HPFP restriction.

Try talk to any decent tuners that because you have PI, so you want a 22psi peak and 18psi top end map, and not look like trying to kill your N55.

People here, with little to none testing and datalogging experience, tend to believe what he want to believe.

Or, maybe European numbers are different, I don't know, maybe.
Sorry not quite sure what that rant was all about?

Fuel pressure & control is power period.
Things have moved on a bit since JB4, Meth is a good option, if it can be controlled accurately, but what we are doing is for people that want consistent safe power without the any octane boosters.

Yes the turbo is nearly maxed but I'm quite happy with the level its at thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #40
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

I do believe that European fuel really is better than other parts of the world, particularly California, but many other parts of the US included.

As you know SeanWRT, I'm currently running an E85 mix with CA 91 AKI that nets out to E20, and I'm right on the edge of what my HPFP can handle. I may already be over the edge when we get to cooler months...

I'm not saying that an upgraded HPFP is going to solve all of my problems, or that I'm considering upgrading necessarily, but it probably would allow me to run more E85 with my CA 91, say an E30 blend, and potentially then allow me to increase octane up to something equivalent to 93 AKI. After all this work, this will still be lower quality fuel (in practical octane performance) than straight 99 RON E0 pump gas in Europe!

I actually don't think you're contradicting yourself SeanWRT... The bottleneck on performance is often octane, and different from region to region. It might be that if you have really really good fuel that the upgraded HPFP allows you to squeeze out a bit more from your stock turbo, and if you don't have really good fuel (like me), it might help you to use more E85 to increase octane.

I guess what you're saying is that the middle ground of pretty good octane fuel (like you appear to have), HPFP isn't the bottleneck with the stock turbo, octane is. With your fuel, you've found that upgrading the Turbo and / or Meth injection eliminates more of the bottlneck for you, and that makes sense.

Have I got that right SeanWRT?

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #41
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

I wonder if Hex Tuning is looking into this to support those of us who are running their tune. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #42
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Quote:
So that's about 2200 to 2500.00 US for that pump I guess! Nice pump but Wow!!!
Well that's $3500 Australian.... would love to get a pump but I'm out
Appreciate 0