BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs 997 Carrera S

05-03-2016, 03:23 PM   #23
P-Bass
The Ox
Rep
Drives: 2009 Porsche Carrera S Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488 View Post
congrats that is the set up that I would want. Did you get it from a dealer? Also did yours have pasm sport crono etc? I want to know what the must have options are.
Thanks, I smile every time I fire her up. It's CPO from a dealer, I estimated that adds about $2,500 to $2,800 vs a private or non CPO sale, Sport Chrono & PASM, all requisites for me. The car gets very tight and even more connected in Sport mode, a real blast to drive. Leather interior, and because it was originally a Texas car, the original owner ordered it with Alcantara inserts and tinted windows (the later probably dealer installed). The Alcantara is unique, I like it. Other options: self dimming mirrors, heated seats, 19' Forged Turbo Wheels, dynamic cornering lights, BOSE High End Stereo, 6-disc CD/DVD, Powered Seats, Porsche Crests in head rests, Basalt Black Metallic. Listed at $98,310 in 2009. The dealer was asking $59,400, I bought it (cash) for $58,000. Per KBB, Car Gurus, fair deal for both of us.

I had been surfing Car Gurus and Porsche NA for almost a year in anticipation of my lease termination in August. I'm actually turning my car in early after the inspection next week. I personally don't understand the "daily driver"/comfort argument. I'm a car guy, and driving this thing on a daily basis is great. I think I would have been very happy with an M2, but for me, this is going to be Christmas morning, every day for a very long time.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #24
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Bass View Post
Thanks, I smile every time I fire her up. It's CPO from a dealer, I estimated that adds about $2,500 to $2,800 vs a private or non CPO sale, Sport Chrono & PASM, all requisites for me. The car gets very tight and even more connected in Sport mode, a real blast to drive. Leather interior, and because it was originally a Texas car, the original owner ordered it with Alcantara inserts and tinted windows (the later probably dealer installed). The Alcantara is unique, I like it. Other options: self dimming mirrors, heated seats, 19' Forged Turbo Wheels, dynamic cornering lights, BOSE High End Stereo, 6-disc CD/DVD, Powered Seats, Porsche Crests in head rests, Basalt Black Metallic. Listed at $98,310 in 2009. The dealer was asking $59,400, I bought it (cash) for $58,000. Per KBB, Car Gurus, fair deal for both of us.

I had been surfing Car Gurus and Porsche NA for almost a year in anticipation of my lease termination in August. I'm actually turning my car in early after the inspection next week. I personally don't understand the "daily driver"/comfort argument. I'm a car guy, and driving this thing on a daily basis is great. I think I would have been very happy with an M2, but for me, this is going to be Christmas morning, every day for a very long time.

What car are you looking to add to your Porsche? I love carguru its an amazing resource.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #25
P-Bass
The Ox
Rep
Drives: 2009 Porsche Carrera S Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488 View Post
What car are you looking to add to your Porsche? I love carguru its an amazing resource.
I'm set for now, no new additions for a while. And yes, Car Gurus is a great resource.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #26
ynotony
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Carrera S

I planned to wait for an M2, but for me the 997 was a more exciting driving experience. The performance is probably about equal, but at this point any performance oriented car is so damn fast that the driving experience has become a much more important factor.

The RR pendulum effect is rewarding to master and so unique that any fan of driving needs to experience it. The rear engine also gives you SO MUCH grip. With warm tires I can floor it in first gear out of a slow turn and it won't break traction - with PSM on it won't even be triggered. That just isn't possible in a FR or even a FF car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Bass View Post
I had posted in another M2 forum here that this car is 100% analogue in a digital world. The communication is insane: clutch, steering, brakes, turn in, acceleration...
I'll echo P-Bass here. I haven't driven the M2 yet, but if the controls and feel are anything like the modern M3/M4, the 997 is in another league. It is so cliche, but the 997 maintains that mechanical visceral feel. You are reminded that you're driving a machine. In many ways it reminds me of my old E30 and E36 in how mechanical and analogue everything feels. I thought it was going to be a cushy luxury car but I was dead wrong.

On top of all this you are driving an icon. It is the same reason why the 1M is more exciting to me than the M2. Maybe I'm getting too soft, but my emotional response to a car is playing a bigger and bigger role these days.
Appreciate 0