BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Akrapovic BMW M2 Competition Exhaust Now Available to Pre-order

12-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #23
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

No not trolling, genuinely curious. BMW tax explains it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 10:58 AM   #24
JeremyDFW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Logan View Post
Trolling? Lol. BMW tax, more specialized/less production
Not sure how you thought he was trolling... was simply asking a question.

One example of trolling would be, "How about you actually take delivery of your car before you start judging others?"

Or another example, "Logan... oh look at that, your very first M car is on its way. Maybe a gift from Mommy and Daddy, and from your comments on other threads... looks like you will be the perfect BMW d-bag."

Instagram - @its.bad.karma (inactive/parked)
Appreciate 3
Evil///M161.50
JustinHEMI7404.00
heavyD^23684.00
      12-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #25
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietmind View Post
I'm trying to understand the terminology. Maybe someone can help me out? The European OPF situation is confusing me I think. What is a link pipe? Is it similar to what others call a mid pipe? The way I'm seeing things described, it seems like the link pipe is a way around the OPF?

Basically trying to understand what the system will be like for a U.S. car. An axle-back exhaust from Akra for an R35 GT-R is $4500. Something isn't making sense to me. Nevermind..edited (I missed seeing the IND pricing announcement)
I hope this helps you: https://drivetribe.com/p/the-opf-pan...T1Sz2u45iFh__A

MR
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #26
Quietmind
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Thank you Marc. That is solid journalism. It’s a sad time for petrol heads indeed. For all that is being forced on us with these new regulations; I sure hope it makes a massive difference in air quality. I fear that it’s simply a “do something, do ANYthing” response to the dieselgate fiasco. If nothing else, it will hasten the adoption of electric cars as the performance option perhaps.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #27
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietmind View Post
Thank you Marc. That is solid journalism. It’s a sad time for petrol heads indeed. For all that is being forced on us with these new regulations; I sure hope it makes a massive difference in air quality. I fear that it’s simply a “do something, do ANYthing” response to the dieselgate fiasco. If nothing else, it will hasten the adoption of electric cars as the performance option perhaps.
Thanks for your kind words. I have been a journalist since 2003, and once in a while I have the urge to write my feelings on paper. Not often, because after writing hundreds of stories a month I was a bit done with it. I felt it was now time to touch on this subject since absolutely nobody is writing about it.

This change is just a small drop on hot plate so to speak. The issue is much wider and we need a full change in the way we transport ourselves and how we use energy. In the end, if we all use electric cars, the power still comes from a coal plant. That is not the solution. Across the board we need something to change, the car world is just an easy target due to its tax-ability and scale. It is a world where there is relatively a lot of margin in the pricing.

MR
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #28
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyDFW View Post

One example of trolling would be, "How about you actually take delivery of your car before you start judging others?"

Or another example, "Logan... oh look at that, your very first M car is on its way. Maybe a gift from Mommy and Daddy, and from your comments on other threads... looks like you will be the perfect BMW d-bag."
Sounds like you're big mad, what's up with that? It was a simple question, seemed like it was a troll comment. Relax there buddy. Who hasnt had their car delivered in here? Pretty sure this thread is full of owners
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #29
Evil///M
Professional Hitman
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+ | Colorado Z71

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyDFW View Post

Omg lol

Last edited by Evil///M; 12-15-2018 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 10:57 PM   #30
jagged
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp M/T

I'm curious, why will you need the sound kit on the slip ons? Is the default open valve setting too loud?

Or since slip on is EC compliant, does it mean that default settings without sound kit is too quiet? So to open up the exhaust further, you will need the sound kit?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 02:22 AM   #31
Bloodynine
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Thanks Marc for writing the article (very clear and concise) and posting it - it really clarifys the whole opf situation.

Such a shame there is no way around removing them that’s legal but more importantly still retains your warranty. If I could install the link pipe and not tune I’d do this as using the tune will definitely invalidate the engine warranty whereas the slipon is warranty safe but still a bit quiet for me (still buying it though!).
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 04:18 AM   #32
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagged View Post
I'm curious, why will you need the sound kit on the slip ons? Is the default open valve setting too loud?

Or since slip on is EC compliant, does it mean that default settings without sound kit is too quiet? So to open up the exhaust further, you will need the sound kit?
Nope, the kit only gives you the freedom to open it when you want.

It switches between AUTO and OPEN. The AUTO setting is the stock valve behavior of the car, and OPEN is always open.

It allows you to do a loud start in efficient with the valves open and it always leaves the valves open during efficient, sport or sport plus.

In AUTO the valves close above a certain gear and when you don't provide an increased input of the throttle. While cruising the valves are closed, and the BT remote switch allows you to open them whenever you want.

Check the videos I made and you can hear how loud the slip-on is.

MR
Appreciate 1
jagged32.50
      12-16-2018, 04:22 AM   #33
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodynine View Post
Quote:
Thanks Marc for writing the article (very clear and concise) and posting it - it really clarifys the whole opf situation.

Such a shame there is no way around removing them that’s legal but more importantly still retains your warranty. If I could install the link pipe and not tune I’d do this as using the tune will definitely invalidate the engine warranty whereas the slipon is warranty safe but still a bit quiet for me (still buying it though!).
In the future, there might be options similar to what we have with Delete R now.

Just think about having this option available via Bimmercode, another kind of app or the Awron display.

Your requirement is one many people have so there will be many solutions for it.

MR
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 05:10 AM   #34
Twinsturbo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton AW MT

An opf back exhaust with a mid resonator delete is really loud. Cant understand why the manufactures dont do this for EU-cars? Its not that hard to make 2 different midpipes one for EU one for the rest!

Edit: this video is of millteks development, opf back with only rear silencer.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 02:49 AM   #35
CJ41BIG
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: M2C

Hi Marc,

From your inf the BimmerLink is working with Akrapovic Slip On exhaust...I mean can open, auto and close the valves?

And what is your opinion about keep the original rear diffuser in combination with Slip-On exhaust. I'm not big fan of carbon because of my own experience at motorcycle after 1 year the carbon trims from exhaust became yellowish and did not look good.

Thak you,

Gabriel
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 11:38 PM   #36
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ41BIG View Post
Hi Marc,

From your inf the BimmerLink is working with Akrapovic Slip On exhaust...I mean can open, auto and close the valves?

And what is your opinion about keep the original rear diffuser in combination with Slip-On exhaust. I'm not big fan of carbon because of my own experience at motorcycle after 1 year the carbon trims from exhaust became yellowish and did not look good.

Thak you,

Gabriel
I have not tested BimmerLink. I don't have that software and therefore I cannot test it. My Awron display switches between open, auto and closed accordingly.

Your call on keeping the stock diffuser. That is totally for yourself to make. There is no need to replace it. In the end, it is just for the looks.

MR
Appreciate 1
CJ41BIG64.00
      12-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #37
CJ41BIG
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: M2C

I ordered, I put the diffuser to be nice but I have to wait till the end of February, 2 months not a bit for an exhaust...
In middle of march I take out motorcycles and forgot the car
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2019, 02:51 AM   #38
Tigumz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M-VO; Z8(03)-Blk

Garage List
2003 BMW Z8  [0.00]
2011 Bmw 1M  [0.00]
Marc,

Nice write up. Kind of depressing the way things are headed Couple of things I need clarification on.

1)
Quote:
Nope, the kit only gives you the freedom to open it when you want.

It switches between AUTO and OPEN. The AUTO setting is the stock valve behavior of the car, and OPEN is always open.
MR
So, for the slip on exhaust to be at it’s loudest, the sound kit must be purchased (to open the valves)? There is no provision to modify the slip on to “always open”
without the sound kit?(as per my 1M Akra, by punching out metal plugs)

2) “Linkpipe replacement: Not legal and only for track use, but an option if you feel like going illegal and don't have problems tuning your car. The linkpipe replaces the stock midpipe which often holds the OPFs and centre damper or resonator. A ECU tune might be required to disable the OPF sensors that monitor the back pressure before the OPFs, which are in this case passive and not actively monitored like for instance diesel particle filters. In case of the M2C if you don't do this, then your car goes into limp mode.”

I thought whole paragraph was referring to the M2C (for which a tune “might be required”), but your last sentence strongly suggests otherwise (which I’m thinking is the case). So a tune is required with the link pipe, for US midcat delete)?
Thanks!
2004 Ferrari 360CS, 07 Lotus Exige S
Former M cars: Euro E30 M3, 01 E39 M5, 08 E60 M5, F10 M5, 18 M2Comp
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #39
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigumz View Post
Marc,

Nice write up. Kind of depressing the way things are headed Couple of things I need clarification on.

1) So, for the slip on exhaust to be at it’s loudest, the sound kit must be purchased (to open the valves)? There is no provision to modify the slip on to “always open” without the sound kit?(as per my 1M Akra, by punching out metal plugs)

2) “Linkpipe replacement: Not legal and only for track use, but an option if you feel like going illegal and don't have problems tuning your car. The linkpipe replaces the stock midpipe which often holds the OPFs and centre damper or resonator. A ECU tune might be required to disable the OPF sensors that monitor the back pressure before the OPFs, which are in this case passive and not actively monitored like for instance diesel particle filters. In case of the M2C if you don't do this, then your car goes into limp mode.”

I thought whole paragraph was referring to the M2C (for which a tune “might be required”), but your last sentence strongly suggests otherwise (which I’m thinking is the case). So a tune is required with the link pipe, for US midcat delete)?
Thanks!
1) Yes, you can keep them always open by using bimmercode/link or pull out the fuses when they are open. Works the same as the stock system.

2) No, not in the U.S. or the rest of the world, only in Europe and Chili (and soon China)! European cars have OPFs in the midpipe and OPF sensors at the end of the downpipes. You need to disable those when you replace the midpipe with OPFs, else you get a limp mode ofer 5K rpm. Since the U.S. cars don't have OPFs nor the sensors, you don't have to worry and can easily replace the midpipe and fit the Akrapovic linkpipe without a tune!

MR
Appreciate 2
Tigumz21.50
      01-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #40
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Honda Accord V6 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhouse View Post
Yup

Amazing what some brand and marketing can do
This exhaust is easily the worst sounding but that might be the OPF, the other threads I think were NA cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 02:07 PM   #41
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramic Rabbit View Post
This exhaust is easily the worst sounding but that might be the OPF, the other threads I think were NA cars.
With linkpipe is without OPFs, only when the slip-on is there as the only upgrade the OPFs are still there.

Be aware that everyone is using different set ups. With and without downpipes, some with only the linkpipe and the stock backbox. All in all, we need to compare potatoes with potatoes and apples with apples, else you cannot say "it is the worst sounding".

I am planning some meetings with people who have the Remus and Eisenmann systems and then we can do the compare. So far I have not seen one car in Europe with a AA midpipe or cat-back system. If there is someone, please let me know and I happily make a video my way so that we can compare apples with apples.

MR
Appreciate 1
pz6193274.00
      01-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #42
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Price is too cheap. I can't have all of these non-millionaire's owning the same exhaust as me... disgusting!
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2019, 04:08 AM   #43
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Available from today!

Existing catless downpipe from Akrapovic for the BMW M3 (F80) / M4 (F82, F83) also fits to M2 Competition (F87N).

Downpipes are optional product to Slip-On line (Titanium) in combination with Evolution Link pipe set (Titanium).

You can order it now at your dealer. Netto price (without local taxes) is: 1.219,34 EUR

MR
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 08:47 AM   #44
n55co
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: G80X BSM

Appreciate 1
KevM2720.00