BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW BBK or AP Racing BBK??!? Arrggghhh

11-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

BMW BBK or AP Racing BBK??!? Arrggghhh

Guys, I could really do with some advice on this. I have my M2C slot allocation, but I still have time to decide on the brake options before the final order goes in from my dealer.

Currently I have chosen the 2NH bigger brakes, but after reading a few threads on Bimmerpost and seeing videos where the AP rep is talking about the AP Racing BBK I am starting think I should spec the standard brakes and then get the AP BBK fitted afterwards. I am planning to do 3-5 track days a year (maybe more, depending on how I get on) and it sounds like I will have better braking consistency throughout a track days with an AP kit and it will lead to less money spent in the long run on discs, pads and knackered pistons (I totally get that those videos are designed for people like me who clearly like being sold to - it works!!)

On the other hand I see other people on here talk about simply sticking with the 2NH setup and just changing the pads, fluid and putting in steel brake lines. On another forum one guy was talking about Carbotech XP12's, which sound decent but I really have no idea or experience with this. I am just a guy soon to hit 40 who wants a second car that will be a handy track weapon I can also drive around when not taking the dog with me

https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...h-xp12.186682/
http://powerbrake.co.uk/prod_pads/race-brake-pads.htm

There is so much to think about and it would be good to get some thoughts / suggestions / help on this. Fortunately I am in a good position where I can afford the AP BBK front and back, but I don't want to do it if it isn't necessary.

What do you all think?

Cheers in advance,

Karl

Last edited by Karlosm2c; 11-19-2018 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Based on what you’ve said, I’d stick with 2NH.

I have the AP BBK, but you don’t need it unless you’re doing >15-days a year or are an extremely aggressive braker.

The AP is certainly a better kit and weighs way less, but you don’t need to drop the cash in your case, IMO. 2NH should be good enough.

Now, if you had the standard blue brakes, I’d say take those off immediately, as they overheat and discolor very easily.

Last edited by ZM2; 11-19-2018 at 07:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 04:04 AM   #3
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Based on what you’ve said, I’d stick with 2NH.

I have the AP BBK, but you don’t need it unless you’re doing >15-days a year or are an extremely aggressive braker.

The AP is certainly a better kit and weighs way less, but you don’t need to drop the cash in your case, IMO. 2NH should be good enough.

Now, if you had the standard blue brakes, I’d say take those off immediately, as they overheat and discolor very easily.
Thanks for your input.

Did I read it right somewhere - the 2NH pistons are ceramic? Also, do you know if there are good options for racing pads such as Ferodo DS2500 and Pagid RS-29's etc? Have you heard from anyone who is running a 2NH setup with aftermarket pads, break lines and oil who are getting good results on track? All the questions I never thought I would have so many tough decisions on buying a new car. I also totally know that I am not a good enough driver to warrant an AP Racing BBK kit. I'm all the gear, no idea
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 06:22 AM   #4
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

I’m not sure about aftermarket pads for 2NH, but PFC > Ferodo > Pagid.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlito View Post
Guys, I could really do with some advice on this. I have my M2C slot allocation, but I still have time to decide on the brake options before the final order goes in from my dealer.

Currently I have chosen the 2NH bigger brakes, but after reading a few threads on Bimmerpost and seeing videos where the AP rep is talking about the AP Racing BBK I am starting think I should spec the standard brakes and then get the AP BBK fitted afterwards. I am planning to do 3-5 track days a year (maybe more, depending on how I get on) and it sounds like I will have better braking consistency throughout a track days with an AP kit and it will lead to less money spent in the long run on discs, pads and knackered pistons (I totally get that those videos are designed for people like me who clearly like being sold to - it works!!)

On the other hand I see other people on here talk about simply sticking with the 2NH setup and just changing the pads, fluid and putting in steel brake lines. On another forum one guy was talking about Carbotech XP12's, which sound decent but I really have no idea or experience with this. I am just a guy soon to hit 40 who wants a second car that will be a handy track weapon I can also drive around when not taking the dog with me

https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...h-xp12.186682/
http://powerbrake.co.uk/prod_pads/race-brake-pads.htm

There is so much to think about and it would be good to get some thoughts / suggestions / help on this. Fortunately I am in a good position where I can afford the AP BBK front and back, but I don't want to do it if it isn't necessary.

What do you all think?

Cheers in advance,

Karl
Karl,

with decent pads and BF, the M2C std blue brakes are fine for 3-5 TD/pa + work reliably and consistently for a DD.

So, optional 2NH m-sport brake upgrade will be more than up to the task.

Stay OEM would be my advice -

Cheaper option - opt for std lue brakes with decent fluid and oem M4 sport pad upgrade

or

add oem upgrade of grey 6/4 pot calipers plus BF c/w maybe buy the MPBBK pads as spec'd for the red MPBBK calipers

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 03:03 PM   #6
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Karl,

with decent pads and BF, the M2C std blue brakes are fine for 3-5 TD/pa + work reliably and consistently for a DD.

So, optional 2NH m-sport brake upgrade will be more than up to the task.

Stay OEM would be my advice -

Cheaper option - opt for std lue brakes with decent fluid and oem M4 sport pad upgrade

or

add oem upgrade of grey 6/4 pot calipers plus BF c/w maybe buy the MPBBK pads as spec'd for the red MPBBK calipers

BP
BP,

Thanks for the advice.

Knowing me, if I decide not to get fancy aftermarket callipers I would probably spec the 2NH big brakes. So, if I do this, do you know if there are some good options for aftermarket pads on these callipers? I expect I would still upgrade the brake fluid and lines also. I don't know what BF c/w and the MP from MP big brake kit means?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlito View Post
Knowing me, if I decide not to get fancy aftermarket callipers I would probably spec the 2NH big brakes. So, if I do this, do you know if there are some good options for aftermarket pads on these callipers? I expect I would still upgrade the brake fluid and lines also. I don't know what BF c/w and the MP from MP big brake kit means?

Cheers
Karl,

Front 2NH calipers are same shape as F10 m5 blue caliper so no doubt pagid, PFC, RB, Brembo, EDC etc will have plenty of options.

Brake fluid upgrade - yes - Castrol SRF gets my vote though flexi lines may not be such a good add-on as oem flexi’s are very good.

MP in MPBKK = M Performance - oem bmw aftermarket accessories

BP
Appreciate 1
///M Houbi1653.00
      11-20-2018, 05:29 PM   #8
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Karl,

Front 2NH calipers are same shape as F10 m5 blue caliper so no doubt pagid, PFC, RB, Brembo, EDC etc will have plenty of options.

Brake fluid upgrade - yes - Castrol SRF gets my vote though flexi lines may not be such a good add-on as oem flexi’s are very good.

MP in MPBKK = M Performance - oem bmw aftermarket accessories

BP
Great, thanks again BP!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #9
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

No PFC options for front, only rear at the moment...

You may want to reconsider the 2NH.. It severely limits your wheel/tire options and is disturbingly close to the inner wheel drum of the 19s. 1 bend in the wheel...

There are smaller BBK that will clear 18's which has WAY more wheel/tire options AND are probably built better.

Being from the US I didn't have a choice - if I did I probably would have gone aftermarket BBK...

Another member mentioned using titanium shims to help with keeping the piston boots from frying since there isn't really any proper ducting to keep this 4k lb rocket from frying them.

Hope it's not too late...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #10
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
No PFC options for front, only rear at the moment...

You may want to reconsider the 2NH.. It severely limits your wheel/tire options and is disturbingly close to the inner wheel drum of the 19s. 1 bend in the wheel...

There are smaller BBK that will clear 18's which has WAY more wheel/tire options AND are probably built better.

Being from the US I didn't have a choice - if I did I probably would have gone aftermarket BBK...

Another member mentioned using titanium shims to help with keeping the piston boots from frying since there isn't really any proper ducting to keep this 4k lb rocket from frying them.

Hope it's not too late...
Hi Proctor,

You will be glad to hear I opted out of the 2NH brakes. Considering I am going to use this car for regular track use I decided I am going to buy some aftermarket BBK's.

I have been back and forth on email with Jeff Ritter from Essex AP Racing and he is going to put me in contact with a good reseller in the new year who can ship the front and rear kits to me. It looks like I am going to go with the Pro 5000r CP9660 (front with 372mm discs) and CP9449 (rear with 365mm discs). Their engineers have recently fitted these kits to an M2 Competition in the last few days and through testing they have decided to use smaller pistons at the back to get the brake bias as close to stock as possible.

Regarding wheels, I have a set of 763M's with Cup 2's on the way. As lthey come in 19" I can always sell off the 788M wheels the car comes with at a later date and purchase some 18"s instead. It will just need some coilovers and maybe a CS flash and then I will be ready to go

Karl
      12-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #11
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

You’ll love the AP’s. I run Ferodo DS11’s for track and DS2500 for street, great combo.

I tried the UNO’s on track and found the release too grabby for my taste, plus they don’t last long.
Appreciate 1
Karlosm2c290.50
      12-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #12
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep

Good move.

I think I am going to stick with the 2NH since they are already on the damn thing and just become a test case. Maybe it's wrong but I guess I'm too lazy and a little curious...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #13
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Good move.

I think I am going to stick with the 2NH since they are already on the damn thing and just become a test case. Maybe it's wrong but I guess I'm too lazy and a little curious...
I have to believe from all the bitching that BMW received from M2 owners about the blue brakes (including me), that 2NH should hold up fine. If not, it would be a major letdown on their part.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #14
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
I have to believe from all the bitching that BMW received from M2 owners about the blue brakes (including me), that 2NH should hold up fine. If not, it would be a major letdown on their part.
We will find out

The one consolation is they come on the M5 and X5M which are behemoths (although not abused repeatedly on track)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 04:15 PM   #15
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

I have the 2NH fitted and if I had the choice again would have gone the standard blue brakes and AP upgrade. Not for the weight however purely for wheel choice. There are not many choices that clear the 2NH.

I bought the 2NH as it was a middle ground between the blues and the other after market options however was not aware that the wheel barrel runs so close to the oem calipers.
      12-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #16
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

The AP racing is the right choice - can't go wrong with either factory set-up if you're going to change out.

The calipers, whatever BMW system you choose, will turn color and not be as track-durable as the AP racing

If it were me, assuming the M2C may be worth some higher resale someday, go for the big brake option (more desirable) and add the AP racing kit as soon as you take delivery. Oil and bag the factory rotors/calipers, and put them away somewhere safe. If/when you sell the car, the factory fresh set up goes back on. Voila!
Appreciate 1
atc556.50
      12-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #17
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrbri View Post
The AP racing is the right choice - can't go wrong with either factory set-up if you're going to change out.

The calipers, whatever BMW system you choose, will turn color and not be as track-durable as the AP racing

If it were me, assuming the M2C may be worth some higher resale someday, go for the big brake option (more desirable) and add the AP racing kit as soon as you take delivery. Oil and bag the factory rotors/calipers, and put them away somewhere safe. If/when you sell the car, the factory fresh set up goes back on. Voila!
That's a good bit of advice. I'm looking to get my AP's on the car soon after I take delivery so I'll put the standard brake kits in a box for when I eventually sell up.
      12-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #18
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep

AP's are a large $8k pill to swallow.. I wonder if anyone would buy the 2NH from me. Maybe some euro guys but the shipping would be a nightmare. Everyone here has them so the options are limited to sell if I wanted to recoup anything.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
I bought the 2NH as it was a middle ground between the blues and the other after market options however was not aware that the wheel barrel runs so close to the oem calipers.
Have you had them on track? How did they hold up? I think with pads/fluid/titanium shim plates we may make them work. Apex should have some wheels soon too.
Appreciate 1
Karlosm2c290.50
      12-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #19
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Hello Gents,

I just wanted to provide an update on the 2019 M2 Competition. We had one visit our HQ the other day for test fitting. Here are some benefits of our AP Radi-CAL systems compared the OEM N2H setup:
  • Save close to 40 unsprung lbs!
  • Allow for 18" wheels
  • Our CP9668 kit has pads that are a full inch thick while still clearing the OEM wheels without a spacer
  • You don't need to remove caliper every time you want to swap the pads (which you do on the stock caliper)
  • Huge increase in the number of brake pad compound options

The list goes on. You can see details and pics on our blog:

https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog...m2-competition

We save over 9 unsprung lbs. on the disc alone!

OEM

Last edited by jritt@essex; 12-20-2018 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
Karlosm2c290.50
      12-25-2018, 08:46 PM   #20
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
AP's are a large $8k pill to swallow.. I wonder if anyone would buy the 2NH from me. Maybe some euro guys but the shipping would be a nightmare. Everyone here has them so the options are limited to sell if I wanted to recoup
Assuming the 2NH would also fit on the OG M2, your pool of buyers isn't necessarily as small as you might think...I would def consider for the right price.
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2018, 10:58 PM   #21
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

OP,

I think you are worrying too much.

I did 5 track days this year with the std blue brakes (upgraded fluid only). They were the weak point of the car (along with the stock rubber) but at the same time didn’t drastically reduce my enjoyment, I just had to brake a bit earlier towards the end of the sessions. And I use the term weak loosely as the M2 is an incredibly capable track car in stock form.

Next year I am going to run some PFC pads to see how it improves things but honestly if you’re only doing 3-5 track days a season I think you should leave them standard, see how you find it out on track, and consider if you really need an upgrade at that point.

(Of course, you absolutely must change the BF regardless!)
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #22
willox
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M2,Cayenne

https://www.rosssport.com/Brands/ALC...-ALCBKF8949Y03

Guy I know fitted the Alcon kit on his M2,also 2 piece disc option for the oe calipers.nice kit the Alcon stuff.
Appreciate 1
Karlosm2c290.50