BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > So It Begins!!! My New M2C(S) Project [Update on Weight Reduction]

12-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #155
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
I agree, and with carbon roof it would be stunning
That's the main reason I held off on the initial M2. And one of the reasons I'm tempted to hold off for the CS/L since it's rumored to have it. But hell I figured I could wait forever for a perfect car, so I'm all-in on the M2C. Maybe someday I'll pay to have the CF roof done myself :-)
      12-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #156
mlx.milano
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Would you mind to post some more pics of the roof? Is it black or carbon? I want to see closer...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #157
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlx.milano View Post
Would you mind to post some more pics of the roof? Is it black or carbon? I want to see closer...
I don't have any close-up pics but I'll try to take some. The roof is wrapped in gloss black. It's not CF.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 04:17 PM   #158
TiAg_E46_M3
2003 TiAg /// M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Tiag E46 M3

One of the nicest, if not the nicest pic I've seen of the M2 Comp in Hockenheim Silver.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      12-07-2018, 12:23 PM   #159
cpvince
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2016 X5 M Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [10.00]
Hey Can, what day did you pick up your car from Fremont? Was it back in Oct? After seeing your plate, I realized that it's quite possible I've seen your car in person at the dealership before you picked it up lol. I wanted to see HS IRL before choosing it for my build.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 12:25 PM   #160
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpvince View Post
Hey Can, what day did you pick up your car from Fremont? Was it back in Oct? After seeing your plate, I realized that it's quite possible I've seen your car in person at the dealership before you picked it up lol. I wanted to see HS IRL before choosing it for my build.
I didn't buy the car from Fremont. The car is from Rallye BMW in NY I just go to BMW of Fremont for service. That's why I have their paper plate.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #161
cpvince
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2016 X5 M Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I didn't buy the car from Fremont. The car is from Rallye BMW in NY I just go to BMW of Fremont for service. That's why I have their paper plate.
Ahhh... I see. Gotcha, just read that in your first post too haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 05:33 AM   #162
mlx.milano
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Quote:
I don't have any close-up pics but I'll try to take some. The roof is wrapped in gloss black. It's not CF.
I actually like that because I don't like fake CF. If you find some time to take a couple of pictures from the top (and not very far) would be great!

Regarding the Axxceton black inserts on the back, are you using gloss or standard? I am considering to put only CF front splitter and spoiler, without replacing the diffuser (which is already black), so the standard might fit well..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 10:27 PM   #163
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I actually like that because I don't like fake CF. If you find some time to take a couple of pictures from the top (and not very far) would be great!

Regarding the Axxceton black inserts on the back, are you using gloss or standard? I am considering to put only CF front splitter and spoiler, without replacing the diffuser (which is already black), so the standard might fit well..
Reflectors are matte.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #164
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Reflectors are matte.
You guys really don't like reflectors..

I think BMW makes them look classy and purposeful on their vehicles.. I could take it or leave it..

Front reflectors is also a quick how I figure out in pictures, if it's a US-spec car or RoW model I'm looking at
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #165
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Reflectors are matte.

I think BMW makes them looks classy and purposeful on their vehicles.. I could take it or leave it..

Front reflectors is also a quick how I figure out in pictures, if it's a US-spec car or RoW model I'm looking at
I could probably live with rear reflectors as they don't bother me that much but still wanted a cleaner look. Front reflectors, on the other hand, are an eyesore IMO lol.
Appreciate 1
///M Houbi1653.00
      12-08-2018, 10:47 PM   #166
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Reflectors are matte.

I think BMW makes them looks classy and purposeful on their vehicles.. I could take it or leave it..

I could probably live with rear reflectors as they don't bother me that much but still wanted a cleaner look. Front reflectors, on the other hand, are an eyesore IMO lol.
Yea, I would leave the rear reflectors, as they are more significant to safety. Imagine you lose full electrical power, while driving on the highway, you'll be thankful that the guy barreling down at you, while texting his girlfriend, catches a glimmer in eyes from his illegal HID headlights sparked from your rear reflectors. Just in time to stop..

Ok, maybe I went off the deep end but they do serve a meaningful purpose.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 11:55 PM   #167
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Yea, I would leave the rear reflectors, as they are more significant to safety. Imagine you lose full electrical power, while driving on the highway, you'll be thankful that the guy barreling down at you, while texting his girlfriend, catches a glimmer in eyes from his illegal HID headlights sparked from your rear reflectors. Just in time to stop..

Ok, maybe I went off the deep end but they do serve a meaningful purpose.
I used some semi transparent dark vinyl to tint mine. They look dark or black most of the time, but if headlights shine on them they still shine back red. Very cheap mod. I used a sample piece of vinyl lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 12:08 AM   #168
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

I plan on leaving the rear reflectors, but deleting the front reflectors.
      12-31-2018, 06:19 PM   #169
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Today I recorded a video of my M2C with stock exhaust. I know there are a ton of videos online revving the car in various drive modes. However, I realized that simply putting the car in Sport+ is not enough due to valves being not fully open. I tried to make this video a few weeks ago by just using the Sport+ mode but the result was a bit disappointing (valves didn't stay fully open). Therefore, this time I used the Bimmerlink app to keep the valves open throughout the entire video. I also have a video of my M4 with MPE (valves open) at the same location (same setup, similar weather conditions). I still prefer the sound of my M4 MPE but stock US spec M2C exhaust sounds pretty decent when valves are fully open.

Unfortunately, iPhone never captures the true sound of any exhaust so I found out that using your headphones provide a closer representation of how it sounds in real life. So headphones on!

M2 Competition Stock Exhaust:

M4 Competition MPE:

Also, happy new year guys!
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
      12-31-2018, 06:35 PM   #170
Poochie
United_States
Rep

I get that whole M demographic attracts the "look at me" crowd but damn, did BMW really have to design an exhaust that made a freaking [COLOR="DarkRed"]$65,000[/COLOR] car sound like a high-mileage Civic that's off timing and has a leaking muffler.. Trust me, I know very well what that sounded like and the resemblance is uncanny..

The M2C will never go down in history as a great vehicle simple because of its exhaust note. And it's tragic really, as it is a great package but will unfortunately never get the props it truly deserves due to the elephant attached to its behind..

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 07:35 PM   #171
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I get that whole M demographic attracts the "look at me" crowd but damn, did BMW really have to design an exhaust that made a freaking $65,000 car sound like a high-mileage Civic that's off timing and has a leaking muffler.. Trust me, I know very well what that sounded like and the resemblance is uncanny..

The M2C will never go down in history as a great vehicle simple because of its exhaust note. And it's tragic really, as it is a great package but will unfortunately never get the props it truly deserves due to the elephant attached to its behind..

Just to be clear, S55 doesn't and probably will never sound amazing no matter what setup you go with. You can improve it but it'll never be perfect IMO. Aside from the weak sound, there are so many great things about S55 that many people including myself still keep coming back to it. After I sold my M4, I could have gotten a brand new N55 M2, used E92 M3, or any other other car with a much better exhaust note. However, I wanted another S55 despite the sound and I know several other people following the same route. In other words, sounds is a very important factor (at least for me) but there are many other ingredients that play a big role in the whole package.

As I said, S55 doesn't sound great; however, it also doesn't sound as bad as people describe here. Sorry but your comparison including the video is a gross exaggeration IMO and no I don't see any resemblance even from the video. I highly recommend checking out an M2, M3 or M4 Comp in person if you haven't already (just make sure it's warmed up properly). Pretty much everyone who's getting or gotten an S55 BMW already knows what it sounds like and I don't think the recent Competition models sound the way you describe. Anyways... Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect yours even though I don't agree.

Also, I really don't know or care how M2C will go down in history but your statement proves me otherwise anyway E46 M3 is now considered to be one of the best Ms that BMW ever offered. I don't know what you think about how it sounds but I think it's one of the worst sounding Ms. It's an amazing car but sounds really bad IMO. I guess we'll see how M2C will take place in BMW's history in a couple years.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 08:35 PM   #172
Poochie
United_States
Rep

I drove around a lot beastin' in my friend's convertible E46 M3, I didn't find it sounded bad. It was raspy at WOT but didn't have this overrun burble that M2C has, which BMW has chose to enhance for some reason. I think that's my pet peeve with the M2C exhaust note.

The M2C S55 sounds like it's begging to draw unnecessary attention. And I guarantee that people who don't know its styling is going to think the muffler is leaking or broken.

I love the overall package but frankly I would be too self-conscious to drive around in a vehicle that sounds like that and I'm not an exhaust guy. But we'll just leave it at that because the S55 sound is a touchy subject and any mention of its exhaust here is like walking on eggshells.

Otherwise, the vehicle is amazing and the S55 is the crown jewel of the M cars, miles ahead in power potential of the prior E46, so there's that for its legacy.

Yours in particular is picture perfect!

I didn't mean to go off on its exhaust sound but I'm just not fan of it, as much as I'm trying to like it.

E46 M3 for continuity:

Last edited by Poochie; 12-31-2018 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 09:33 PM   #173
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I drove around a lot beastin' in my friend's convertible E46 M3, I didn't find it sounded bad. It was raspy at WOT but didn't have this overrun burble that M2C has, which BMW has chose to enhance for some reason. I think that's my pet peeve with the M2C exhaust note.

The M2C S55 sounds like it's begging to draw unnecessary attention. And I guarantee that people who don't know its styling is going to think the muffler is leaking or broken.

I love the overall package but frankly I would be too self-conscious to drive around in a vehicle that sounds like that and I'm not an exhaust guy. But we'll just leave it at that because the S55 sound is a touchy subject and any mention of its exhaust here is like walking on eggshells.

Otherwise, the vehicle is amazing and the S55 is the crown jewel of the M cars, miles ahead in power potential of the prior E46, so there's that for its legacy.

Yours in particular is picture perfect!

I didn't mean to go off on its exhaust sound but I'm just not fan of it, as much as I'm trying to like it.

E46 M3 for continuity:

By "unnecessary attention", I'm assuming you are talking about the burbles, which has nothing to do with S55 or M2C. Let me put it this way, it's not a characteristic of any engine. It's simply because of the tune/software. If I were to put the car in Efficient throttle and open the valves, you wouldn't hear any of this extra drama that you don't like. It's all personal preference and there are crazy amount of people who flash their DME just to be able to have these overruns (Non-Comp M3/M4, E92, or E46 owners etc). I like the stock exhaust overrun from the factory but some people even take it to another level with gunshot-like burbles on their N55 or S55, which sounds absolutely ridiculous and unbearable to me. Long story short, there are fans of either option (overrun or no overrun) and this new "trend" is pure software that exists in recent BMWs whether it has S55, N55, B58, S63 etc. Judging an engine or model solely based on the existence of the exhaust overrun (which can easily be added to or removed from any DME) is not fair IMO.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      01-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #174
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

I can not WAIT to detune the damn burbles.

What is next on the weight reduction schedule?

Edit: can you make a running total and list on the original post as you go?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 11:21 AM   #175
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
I can not WAIT to detune the damn burbles.

What is next on the weight reduction schedule?

Edit: can you make a running total and list on the original post as you go?
I should have reserved the first couple posts on the first page. The first post became too long but I try to update it as add more mods. Next step is the exhaust and then I'll probably take a break to enjoy the car. If cost wasn't an issue, I would probably do CF hood, lithium battery, Recaro Sportster CS seats along with the exhaust but those will need to wait a little longer.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #176
JoeP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

This picture did several things for me:
1. Totally convinced me that my choice for HS is solid (I've not seen it in person and probably won't until I pick up my car)
2. Convinced me on the carbon mirror covers and likely the front reflector inserts

You have also done a few things I plan to do once the funds are available, namely the AP Racing Calipers. I really want to be able to run 18s for the track and just taking off THAT much unsprung mass is huge. We have a similar attitude that the M2C comes too heavy and needs to go on a diet to meet its full potential. I also agree with you though, don't go crazy with fixed backs and a cage. I like your approach so far (minus the black roof - not knocking it, I just like a more subtle look but its actually not bad IMHO).

Thank you for posting so many pictures and giving so much feedback. Are you going to code out Auto rev-match? That needs to go for me.
Appreciate 2