Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW X1  [10.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Hehe 😂
You sound like a lost Audi driver in a M forum ... but you are right... my wife keeps telling me I am stupid when I say we should get rid of the A4 alroad ... probably due to my Swiss mountain love driving origins😜
our mountains are perfectly fine to ride for audis too
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 08:37 AM   #134
baki777
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: M2, 525d e61, 525i e39

Quote:
Chasseral😍😍😍

You mean this chasseral?

btw is your competition dct?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 08:38 AM   #135
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Since this thread got revived could you tell me what happened?
Was it just the Sport+ MDM mode or DSC fully off?
I'm still trying to experiment with different driving modes and push the car a bit more.
So far the Sport+ is not really letting me slide it much.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #136
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Last sunday, one turn driving sport+, lost control at turn exit and could not bring back the car on road, hit badly small trees on the side ... as a result insurance expert declared the car full dammage, it was too expensive to repear it ... that is for the story
Quote:
Originally Posted by baki777 View Post
Quote:
Here she is :-)
And now you are upgrading to a competition after not beeing able to control the OG M2. Well done. Take a 120i xdrive not only for also for other people on the roads.
Al1969, as you totaled your M2 in SPORT+ mode (part of the safety nannies inactive), are you also gonna drive your M2C in SPORT+ mode in the mountains or will you settle for SPORT mode (all safety nannies active) ?
      01-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #137
Aerosoul Bastard
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1  [10.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Maybe ... we don't see them at all 👍😛
I see them a lot here in switzerland
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #138
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Last sunday, one turn driving sport+, lost control at turn exit and could not bring back the car on road, hit badly small trees on the side ... as a result insurance expert declared the car full dammage, it was too expensive to repear it ... that is for the story
Quote:
Quote:
Here she is :-)
And now you are upgrading to a competition after not beeing able to control the OG M2. Well done. Take a 120i xdrive not only for also for other people on the roads.
Al1969, as you totaled your M2 in SPORT+ mode (part of the safety nannies inactive), are you also gonna drive your M2C in SPORT+ mode in the mountains or will you settle for SPORT mode (all safety nannies active) ?
All nannies are still on in sport +. It just gives a little more freedom to slide around. But, the laws od physics are the laws of physics. Enough speed and momentum and nothing will save your ass, especially when two or more wheels leave the ground.
      01-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #139
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
All nannies are still on in sport +. It just gives a little more freedom to slide around.
Safety nannies are on full standby in COMFORT mode and SPORT mode. 'Early' intervention (experienced by some drivers as 'too nosy'). In SPORT+ mode intervention happens when closer to the limit of control / loss of control. See the dedicated thread here.
      01-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #140
2nd chance
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
It looks like there's some roof crush there. No issues to your head and neck when you rolled?
No (serious) injuries whatsoever. Like I said, just the seatbelt printed on the chest... and I bit the back of my tongue, couldn't eat for 12 hours (only noticed that 6 hours after crash).
If there would have been someone sitting in the backseat... Dead as a Dodo... The rear (backhalf of the roof and the trunk) was completely flattened.

SPORT+ will NOT save your ass... Just saying...

Last edited by 2nd chance; 12-18-2019 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 11:12 PM   #141
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
it's not allowed
Maybe in Switzerland, but it's legal in all 50 United States; anything else you might read (with regard to motor laws in the USA) is fictitious.

I can actually (somewhat) appreciate the ban on driving with flip flops in some European countries. It is conceivable, if unlikely, that a flip flop could become lodged under the clutch or brake or accelerator pedal. But bare feet? What's the risk? ZERO. And it gives you better control than any pair of shoes.

Even when I am in Europe (twice a year) I drive barefoot. I'm willing to take the risk of getting caught. If caught, it's not like you got caught doing anything that any rational person would give a shit about. Recently I was thinking about this at a gas station in France where I had just filled up (in Burgundy). There was a huge truck in the adjacent truck bay and the driver got in wearing socks, only. Obviously, I'm not the only one :-) I see the same thing at rest stops on the autoroutes in France, when you look at how people have their feet attired as they go into the restrooms!
      01-03-2019, 09:43 AM   #142
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Maybe in Switzerland, but it's legal in all 50 United States; anything else you might read (with regard to motor laws in the USA) is fictitious.
I can actually (somewhat) appreciate the ban on driving with flip flops in some European countries. It is conceivable, if unlikely, that a flip flop could become lodged under the clutch or brake or accelerator pedal. But bare feet? What's the risk? ZERO. And it gives you better control than any pair of shoes.
Even when I am in Europe (twice a year) I drive barefoot. I'm willing to take the risk of getting caught. If caught, it's not like you got caught doing anything that any rational person would give a shit about. Recently I was thinking about this at a gas station in France where I had just filled up (in Burgundy). There was a huge truck in the adjacent truck bay and the driver got in wearing socks, only. Obviously, I'm not the only one :-) I see the same thing at rest stops on the autoroutes in France, when you look at how people have their feet attired as they go into the restrooms!
What about Spain ?
The unbelievable rules of the road in Spain (source: here):
  1. Driving with one hand or arm outside of the vehicle can lead to a fine of €100. Article 18 of the General Traffic Law states that the driver and passengers should always maintain a sensible position inside the vehicle.
  2. Driving without wearing a shirt, being barefoot or wearing flip-flops comes with a fine of €200. According to the law, driving without ‘proper’ clothing or footwear could diminish the driver’s capacity to control the vehicle.
  3. You have to be extremely careful when parking on sand at the beach because if the area is classified as ‘protected’, you could end up with a fine of up to €6,000.
  4. Making the most of being stationary at a red light by touching up your make-up or eating food could cost you €200 euro and two points off your licence.
  5. Driving while blasting music in a quiet area like a hospital or during the early hours of the morning can lead to a fine of €80–100. In one case, a fine of €2,400 was imposed because the noise prevented homeowners from sleeping.
  6. You should only use the car horn in cases of emergencies such as avoiding an accident and alerting another motorist that you plan on overtaking their vehicle. Any other use could lead to a fine of €80.
  7. Driving in the left-hand lane or in the middle lane if the right-hand lane is free could result in a fine of €200, according to Articles 28 and 31.
  8. Be careful if you’re having an argument while driving. If you are caught taking your eyes off the road on several occasions, you could end up with a fine of €80. The same amount will be applied if the driver is caught biting his nails, kissing a passenger or insulting other drivers through hand gestures.
  9. Both hands should be kept on the steering wheel while driving and the driver’s ears should be visible.
  10. Filling up the car with petrol with the radio on could lead to a fine of up to €91.
      01-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #143
Aerosoul Bastard
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X1  [10.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
well here it is not specifically forbidden by law too, but 9 out of 10 insurances wont pay you anything at all, the same with missing snow tires after an accident on snowy ground
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 11:36 PM   #144
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerosoul Bastard View Post
well here it is not specifically forbidden by law too, but 9 out of 10 insurances wont pay you anything at all, the same with missing snow tires after an accident on snowy ground
So do 9 out of 10 Swiss Insurers state in their coverage that if you are involved in an accident and you aren't wearing footwear acceptable to them, that they won't pay you? Sounds like an opportunity for a competitor, given that there is no rational basis for such a policy.

One could certainly argue that in the case of a serious accident that having all of your body covered in a protective suit of some sort would be beneficial. No argument with that. But as to the idea that you are more likely to be responsible for creating an accident because you are wearing shorts or no shoes at all -- that's just ridiculous.

I think that people should wear whatever they are most comfortable wearing when they drive, so long as what they are wearing doesn't compromise their ability to drive or creates a problem for the safety of others.

As to missing snow tires in on snowy ground, that should depend on whether or not the tires were a contributing factor in the accident. I have snow tires installed on the two cars that I drive in the winter, so obviously I believe that they have value. On the other hand, if you were dumb enough to be driving a car with Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the snow, and some idiot with snow tires on their car runs into you, totally their fault, then I don't think that your tires had anything to do with it, and you should be covered.
      01-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #145
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
Quote:
What about Spain ?
  1. Driving with one hand or arm outside of the vehicle can lead to a fine of €100. Article 18 of the General Traffic Law states that the driver and passengers should always maintain a sensible position inside the vehicle.
  2. Driving without wearing a shirt, being barefoot or wearing flip-flops comes with a fine of €200. According to the law, driving without ‘proper’ clothing or footwear could diminish the driver’s capacity to control the vehicle.
  3. You have to be extremely careful when parking on sand at the beach because if the area is classified as ‘protected’, you could end up with a fine of up to €6,000.
  4. Making the most of being stationary at a red light by touching up your make-up or eating food could cost you €200 euro and two points off your licence.
  5. Driving while blasting music in a quiet area like a hospital or during the early hours of the morning can lead to a fine of €80–100. In one case, a fine of €2,400 was imposed because the noise prevented homeowners from sleeping.
  6. You should only use the car horn in cases of emergencies such as avoiding an accident and alerting another motorist that you plan on overtaking their vehicle. Any other use could lead to a fine of €80.
  7. Driving in the left-hand lane or in the middle lane if the right-hand lane is free could result in a fine of €200, according to Articles 28 and 31.
  8. Be careful if you’re having an argument while driving. If you are caught taking your eyes off the road on several occasions, you could end up with a fine of €80. The same amount will be applied if the driver is caught biting his nails, kissing a passenger or insulting other drivers through hand gestures.
  9. Both hands should be kept on the steering wheel while driving and the driver’s ears should be visible.
  10. Filling up the car with petrol with the radio on could lead to a fine of up to €91.
Imo all of those laws make sense. The road is a place for keeping focus and not being distracted nor creating distractions.
I can imagine the need for these laws "especialmente en España" since I've been there a couple of times.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #146
baki777
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep

Quote:

I drove in flip flops in Italy and got a ticket.
I think you lost a lot of grip. It's not without reason not allowed in some countrys.
Would never refer to other people how they drive.
However they are worse things what you can do as driver so take care
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 03:46 PM   #147
baki777
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep

Quote:
So do 9 out of 10 Swiss Insurers state in their coverage that if you are involved in an accident and you aren't wearing footwear acceptable to them, that they won't pay you? Sounds like an opportunity for a competitor, given that there is no rational basis for such a policy.

One could certainly argue that in the case of a serious accident that having all of your body covered in a protective suit of some sort would be beneficial. No argument with that. But as to the idea that you are more likely to be responsible for creating an accident because you are wearing shorts or no shoes at all -- that's just ridiculous.

I think that people should wear whatever they are most comfortable wearing when they drive, so long as what they are wearing doesn't compromise their ability to drive or creates a problem for the safety of others.

As to missing snow tires in on snowy ground, that should depend on whether or not the tires were a contributing factor in the accident. I have snow tires installed on the two cars that I drive in the winter, so obviously I believe that they have value. On the other hand, if you were dumb enough to be driving a car with Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the snow, and some idiot with snow tires on their car runs into you, totally their fault, then I don't think that your tires had anything to do with it, and you should be covered.
I don't know the law situation in the US.
But if you have some minor changes on your car for example blacked out taillights (which is forbidden in switzerland) or other sde mirors, you will be guilty in an accident in form that the insurance won't pay. Even then when the accident had nothing to do with your changes.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #148
baki777
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep

Quote:
What about Spain ?
The last one make definitively sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 12:36 AM   #149
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know the law situation in the US.
But if you have some minor changes on your car for example blacked out taillights (which is forbidden in switzerland) or other sde mirors, you will be guilty in an accident in form that the insurance won't pay. Even then when the accident had nothing to do with your changes.
I don't modify cars, so I'll never be "guilty" of that. Why anyone would black out taillights, brake lights, or indicator lights on side mirrors is beyond my comprehension.

There is, however, no reason why driving barefoot presents a hazard to the driver or to any other vehicle. It simply does not. I think you can actually make a pretty strong argument that it is safer, as there is zero possibility of footwear causing a problem, as it sometimes does, and if having a direct contact between your body and "control surfaces" of a vehicle presents a hazard, I'd like to know of the evidence supporting that idea.
      01-06-2019, 12:37 AM   #150
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The last one make definitively sense.
Could depend on the station you are listening to :-)

By the way, Artemis, how are you doing now, after your scooter accident? Are you healed up enough to drive your M2?
      01-06-2019, 08:20 AM   #151
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Darwin award nominee.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #152
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
By the way, Artemis, how are you doing now, after your scooter accident? Are you healed up enough to drive your M2?
Recovering from a 'Schatzker Type VI' tibia plateau high-energy fracture (+ broken ribs and shoulder blade) ain't no walk in the park.

"Serious leg injuries, but feel lucky that you still got your leg". Metal plates and screws keep the injured leg together. 12 weeks of non-weight bearing (which substantially reduces muscle power). Literary in 'limp mode' for many months: wheelchair and crutches. Numerous sessions in a hospital rehab center, re-educating how to properly walk again, managing pain levels during exercises (increasing 'Range Of Motion' with a CPM torture machine during the first weeks), staying committed to make progress under proper guidance of physiotherapists. It appears that my progress goes well.

After 5 months I resumed driving my cars (surgeon considered me fit for driving). No issues. I already drove my M2 for a few hours too. With one of my family cars I visited twice the mountains: long stints with manual transmission to check my driving reflexes and stamina/endurance levels. Those training sessions also went well. I plan to drive my M2 in the mountains again this Spring. Remains to be seen if I can still pull off 12-hr stints of (spirited) mountain driving with my manual transmission.

Earlier this month - almost 7 months since my accident - I finally started walking without crutches. At last. Normal pace, no limping, but still too early for running. Nature takes its time to heal what's broken. My hospital rehab sessions will likely continue for several months (further improvement).

Work ? Though the pace was inevitably slower during the first stages (hospitalization period with laptop madness), the accident didn't stop me in my tracks. Never back down.

From my mountain drive 'training sessions':

Name:  PassoSella_21Nov18.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  455.5 KB

Name:  PassoSella_21Nov18_2.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  677.2 KB

Name:  PassoGiovo_04Jan19.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  440.0 KB

Name:  PassoGiovo_04Jan19_2.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  441.9 KB
Corinne1171.00
      01-13-2019, 12:33 AM   #153
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Recovering from a 'Schatzker Type VI' tibia plateau high-energy fracture (+ broken ribs and shoulder blade) ain't no walk in the park.

"Serious leg injuries, but feel lucky that you still got your leg". Metal plates and screws keep the injured leg together. 12 weeks of non-weight bearing (which substantially reduces muscle power). Literary in 'limp mode' for many months: wheelchair and crutches. Numerous sessions in a hospital rehab center, re-educating how to properly walk again, managing pain levels during exercises (increasing 'Range Of Motion' with a CPM torture machine during the first weeks), staying committed to make progress under proper guidance of physiotherapists. It appears that my progress goes well.

After 5 months I resumed driving my cars (surgeon considered me fit for driving). No issues. I already drove my M2 for a few hours too. With one of my family cars I visited twice the mountains: long stints with manual transmission to check my driving reflexes and stamina/endurance levels. Those training sessions also went well. I plan to drive my M2 in the mountains again this Spring. Remains to be seen if I can still pull off 12-hr stints of (spirited) mountain driving with my manual transmission.

Earlier this month - almost 7 months since my accident - I finally started walking without crutches. At last. Normal pace, no limping, but still too early for running. Nature takes its time to heal what's broken. My hospital rehab sessions will likely continue for several months (further improvement).

Work ? Though the pace was inevitably slower during the first stages (hospitalization period with laptop madness), the accident didn't stop me in my tracks. Never back down.

From my mountain drive 'training sessions':

Attachment 1970892

Attachment 1970893

Attachment 1970894

Attachment 1970895
I am very happy to read (and see) this. It is definitely a "truism" that adversity builds character.

Life throws many challenges in our way, like it is testing us. Every problem and disaster lays the groundwork for how we deal with the next one; hopefully there are not too many over the span of a lifetime.

My business partner is French and about 1/2 my age, plus he runs the businesses (a small chain of pizzerias). We have screwed up a few times and earlier it was as if we were done, in the eyes of my colleague. Then I would say, "this is nothing, we will survive it." And we did. I said there is no possibility of real success without failure; there isn't.

And now I see that he is starting to think the same way; failure is bumps along the road, but if you keep your focus, you continue to go forward.

Best wishes for the future, it will all come back and you will be stronger because of it.
      01-22-2019, 09:34 AM   #154
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

France also has what I consider to be stupid rules about driving. It's all part of the increasingly suffocating European nannying based on the lowest common denominator (ie the brainless driver). It can only get worse as each EU member state imposes its rules on the rest and cash hungry over-spending governments milk drivers for as much as they can. The hysteria concerning CO2 emissions gives government the perfect opportunity to extract the maximum amount of taxes and fines. George Orwell's 1984 is well and truly on course in Europe and I envy the freedom the Americans still have.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0