BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > OPF queries: did I just open a box of Pandora or am I lost in a manic brainstorm?

08-01-2018, 06:55 AM   #67
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
And the OPF can literally be cut out and replaced by an OPF less midpipe.
Yup, possible but only if you add an ECU tune and that means goodbye to your 3K EUR warranty package for 5-years or 100,000 kms. You cannot cut it out without doing an ECU tune. The sensors attached to the OPF would go ballistic and push you into limp mode within the first KM you drive.

For those who would like to know... I am currently investigating the dual ECU route and an one key per ECU set up allowing you to swap ECUs when you have to go to your dealer.

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 07:13 AM   #68
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Yup, possible but only if you add an ECU tune and that means goodbye to your 3K EUR warranty package for 5-years or 100,000 kms. You cannot cut it out without doing an ECU tune. The sensors attached to the OPF would go ballistic and push you into limp mode within the first KM you drive.

For those who would like to know... I am currently investigating the dual ECU route and an one key per ECU set up allowing you to swap ECUs when you have to go to your dealer.

MR
But then you have to put the OPF bits back on in order to run with the factory ECU...guess the statement no pain no gain rings true here

I applause your enthusiasm in finding ways to get around the performance impediment coming from the OPF system
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 09:18 AM   #69
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
But then you have to put the OPF bits back on in order to run with the factory ECU...guess the statement no pain no gain rings true here

I applause your enthusiasm in finding ways to get around the performance impediment coming from the OPF system
LOL it is only getting worse with this emission shit... And we will find ways around it hahah

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #70
Shekels
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C HS Nov 2018

Quote:

MR
Even if you didn't mind voiding the warranty, I assume the removing the filter will raise the exhaust emissions and become a problem when the car needs to be MOT'd (or the country equivalent)?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #71
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
And the OPF can literally be cut out and replaced by an OPF less midpipe.

MR
I doubt the car will go into limp mode. My guess would be, just like removing the primary cats, you'll get a check engine light, won't be able to pass emission tests but the car will run fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 01:59 AM   #72
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekels View Post
Even if you didn't mind voiding the warranty, I assume the removing the filter will raise the exhaust emissions and become a problem when the car needs to be MOT'd (or the country equivalent)?
MOT in Czech Republic is offering a sum that a person from the MOT company would never refuse... #welcometocentralandeasterneurope

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I doubt the car will go into limp mode. My guess would be, just like removing the primary cats, you'll get a check engine light, won't be able to pass emission tests but the car will run fine.
All tuners I talked to, think limp mode will happen due to the nature of the filter set up. It is way more obstructive in the exhaust line than a down pipe.

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 02:46 AM   #73
n55co
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: G80X BSM

Quote:
MOT in Czech Republic is offering a sum that a person from the MOT company would never refuse... #welcometocentralandeasterneurope

All tuners I talked to, think limp mode will happen due to the nature of the filter set up. It is way more obstructive in the exhaust line than a down pipe.

MR
as far as the technical drawings are correct. There a are no sensors after the first opf, which is in the donwpipe. So maybe we are lucky and can get rid of it
Exhaus-System will be the first thing i gonna check after i got the car
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 08:53 AM   #74
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by n55co View Post
as far as the technical drawings are correct. There a are no sensors after the first opf, which is in the donwpipe. So maybe we are lucky and can get rid of it
Exhaus-System will be the first thing i gonna check after i got the car
Show me.... It would be really interesting if it doesn't, but I can hardly believe it since those sensors would be a safety measure in case the filter clogs up.

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #75
n55co
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Show me.... It would be really interesting if it doesn't, but I can hardly believe it since those sensors would be a safety measure in case the filter clogs up.

MR

You can check it here https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-ersatz...x/?series=f87n
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 09:35 AM   #76
Twinsturbo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton AW MT

Looks like a system from DP back might be possible?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 09:36 AM   #77
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:

MR
There is nothing safety about it clogging up. If it clogs the engine will not run right, not a safety thing.

I think the European OBDII standards are less strict than the OBDII standards in the U.S. We have the most strict OBDII standards. OBDII is what dictates what sensors need to be in the filter. Because the OBD system for the U.S. in the car needs to know when the filter is not working.

Also in the U.S. We call this filter a GPF (Gas Particulate Filter), similar to the well known DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter).

Not sure why people are calling this OPF, not accurate in the U.S.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #78
n55co
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsturbo View Post
looks like it... at least for now.
i will get my M2C beginning of October, i could keep you guys posted about the exhaust/opf/gpf stuff
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 09:50 AM   #79
Apachesmith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (ordered)

I'm going to remove the OPF and install and run the M4 CS tune.... If required for service, re-flash with the M2 tune and refit the filters!

Those filters are a massive restriction and ultimately will detract from what the car is capable of. It won't take long before aftermarket companies have straight through bypass pipes which will enable you to remove and replace the filters when needed!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #80
Twinsturbo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsturbo View Post
looks like it... at least for now.
i will get my M2C beginning of October, i could keep you guys posted about the exhaust/opf/gpf stuff
Getting mine i oct too. Sales guy told me i could have it late sept if im lucky, hoping for the best
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #81
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

If there are no sensors after the down pipe, I think the engine diagnostics are smart enough to know if the OPF is clogged up. That would be good news for EU bimmer heads.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #82
lbahoshy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2014 Carrera S, 2023 BMW M2

Anyone know if Canada will get the same cars as the US without the OPF ?

2014 911 Carrera S, Agate grey, black int, 7spd manual

2019 M2C, HKS, 6 spd Manual. (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #83
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apachesmith View Post
I'm going to remove the OPF and install and run the M4 CS tune.... If required for service, re-flash with the M2 tune and refit the filters!

Those filters are a massive restriction and ultimately will detract from what the car is capable of. It won't take long before aftermarket companies have straight through bypass pipes which will enable you to remove and replace the filters when needed!
That would not work The system knows you tuned the car. There is a counter in the system that counts up the times the ECU software was updated by a non-dealer tool.

The moment the dealer puts the key in the little blue box on the desk of the service employee, the key will share details about the car with the dealer system and to BMW in Munich. If they see it had a software tune installed, a red cross goes through the car in Munich.

If you then want to do a warranty claim, the dealer will see that this is not possible due to the fact that the warranty is not applicable anymore. The dealer will be able to give you warranty, but they cannot claim at BMW anymore and therefore it will cost them money. Good luck explaining to the stealer that you are stealing money from them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
If there are no sensors after the down pipe, I think the engine diagnostics are smart enough to know if the OPF is clogged up. That would be good news for EU bimmer heads.
Yes, please... I have photos of the exhaust I made at the studio shooting, which might reveal something. They are saved somewhere. I need to have a proper look.

Still if we remove the OPF, the flow through the exhaust changes, that might set of some other sensors somewhere. We need to see how many sensors holes there are on the drawings.

Quote:
I just had a look at the link on Leebmann24 and the page for the OPF is this: https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-ersatz...=18&bt=18_1537

It says on this page unfortunately: "Sensor Differenzdruck", which is German for "differential pressure sensor". Part number is: 13628570686. If you search on the part number you get a whole range of photos:

The photos you are looking at on the Leebmann page are the same as for the M4. Sorry, but that is not the M2C exhaust you are looking at. I will confirm that as soon as I have opened the photos which I made during my studio filming.

Another bad sign is this: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=18_1448 It is the petrol partical filter of the M4 and its mounting parts. The OPF for the M4 so to speak... Number 1 is the differential pressure sensor. That sensor is the issue!

More info about the OPF: https://www.aecc.eu/key-topics/gasol...culate-filter/ & https://insideevs.com/bmw-adding-par...odels-germany/

BMW continues to consistently pursue the improvement of emissions in all combustion engines in summer 2018. As of July 2018, all petrol and plug-in hybrid models of the brand available in Germany will be fitted as standard with a petrol engine particulate filter and thus will already comply with the exhaust standard Euro 6d-TEMP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
There is nothing safety about it clogging up. If it clogs the engine will not run right, not a safety thing.
A pressure sensor is there to protect your car... and the environment... hahah

MR

Last edited by MR.; 08-02-2018 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #84
Twinsturbo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Could be possible to have the sensors mounted to a aftermarket midpipe with connections for the small hoses att a certain length between them for the correct differential pressure(sorry, bad english). And in that way fool the ecu. Even better just a little electronic device that sends the correct electronic signals to the ecu, should be easy for an engineer.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #85
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That would not work The system knows you tuned the car. There is a counter in the system that counts up the times the ECU software was updated by a non-dealer tool.

The moment the dealer puts the key in the little blue box on the desk of the service employee, the key will share details about the car with the dealer system and to BMW in Munich. If they see it had a software tune installed, a red cross goes through the car in Munich.

If you then want to do a warranty claim, the dealer will see that this is not possible due to the fact that the warranty is not applicable anymore. The dealer will be able to give you warranty, but they cannot claim at BMW anymore and therefore it will cost them money. Good luck explaining to the stealer that you are stealing money from them...

MR
I guess you have some reading to do Many proven tuners that I know both in US and Europe now offer flash counter freeze for all their flash tunes (N55, S55 etc.). There are other, more difficult ways for BMW to find out you modified your car's software but checking flash counter is not one of them anymore thanks to the new OBD flashing with flash counter freeze.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #86
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
That would sound easier than done. The signals are not based on single on/off but have to follow a table or graph of values. Nothing is impossible of course, but it is not an easy 1-2-3. All depends on the market and its demand, the products will follow easily if the demand is there.

If I look at this photo below and check the details from the M4 OPF set up, it seems to me that the OPF sensor is not located at the OPF itself but before at the end of the down pipes.

The OPF's are like on my photos (I checked them a minute ago placed just in front of the center muffler and about a meter away from the end of the down pipes. There is no cable or sensor visible, but I haven't got photos of both sides of them.

In the case of the M4, which is quite similar I think to the M2C, the pressure sensor seems to exist at the end of the down pipes. That means that you can remove the OPF filter and fit a complete cat-back system without issues.

Only issue is replacing the down pipes since that is another sensor set up, but let's wait and see what can be done. I will have to make some photos of the set up of my car as soon as it is there to see how the exhaust runs and where the sensors are.

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #87
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I guess you have some reading to do Many proven tuners that I know both in US and Europe now offer flash counter freeze for all their flash tunes (N55, S55 etc.). There are other, more difficult ways for BMW to find out you modified your car's software but checking flash counter is not one of them anymore thanks to the new OBD flashing with flash counter freeze.
Do they? They fixed that! Can you tell which tuners did this? This starts to sound interesting... More info please...

I don't know it all since I hardly enough time to breath lately and so little time for hobby things.

For now I am just collecting as much as I can find to make this all work. All help is appreciated to make it a clear picture.

If all this works, and we can remove that filter then I will personal set it on fire and do a dance around it.

MR

Last edited by MR.; 08-02-2018 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #88
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do they? They fixed that! Can you tell which tuners did this? This starts to sound interesting... More info please...

I don't know it all since I hardly enough time to breath lately and so little time for hobby things.

For now I am just collecting as much as I can find to make this all work. All help is appreciated to make it a clear picture.

If all this works, and we can remove that filter then I will personal set it on fire and do a dance around it.

MR
Bootmod3 (BM3) and BPM are two of them that I'm 100% sure implemented flash counter freeze maybe 8-10 months ago.
Appreciate 0