BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > M2 Competition U.S. Allocation Tracker

12-31-2018, 11:58 PM   #573
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

Mine should be here in a week or so!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #574
billspreston
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87

Picked her up a few days ago @ $1500 under MSRP. It is familiar and yet somehow very different in character than the F80 it replaced.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 03:02 PM   #575
M4 GTS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02M3 19X3M40 on order 21 GT4

Hey, you stole my car!!
Also I'm coming form F80 too!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 12:47 PM   #576
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post
Picked her up a few days ago @ $1500 under MSRP. It is familiar and yet somehow very different in character than the F80 it replaced.

Any more details on differences with the f80? I recently sold my f80 and waiting on an allocation for an M2C. I've seen you in the f80 forums as well!

Having sat in the M2 and M2C - I get the familiarity comment, as the interior, idrive, and overall layout-ergonomics come from the same family. But how about the drive? steering, etc?
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 12:28 PM   #577
billspreston
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87

I'm coming from a '16 6MT "Civic" M3 comparing against a '19 DCT M2C so it's not an ideal comparison. A recent knee surgery forced me into an automatic, but I do really like the DCT.

The summary is as you might expect - the M2C is more fun to drive while the M3 is more convenient and livable. It's frustrating that we have to make compromises when getting into a smaller more sporty model, but that's the reality with car manufacturers. And to be fair, the F80 is over $16k more MSRP when similarly spec'd so the additionally provided amenities are certainly justified.

M2C Negatives:
  • No Carbon Fiber Roof - Really miss the style and contrast of the carbon fiber roof. I gladly would have paid to have this optioned from the factory on the M2C.
  • Juvenile exhaust burbles - I strongly dislike the drawn-out exhaust overrun "burbles" on the M2C.
  • Stiff suspension - The M2C is quite stiff and bordering on my tolerance level for a daily driver. The F80 with adaptive suspension was much more civilized.
  • Exterior style - Not really a negative as there are a lot of things I really like about the M2C exterior style, but the F80 design just feels a bit more cohesive and mean overall. The bland rear end of the M2C is a let down in comparison to the aggressive front.
  • Interior leather quality - The leather quality is quite poor on the M2C in comparison to the F80. The M2C Dakota leather is thick & saggy and has a matte texture with a grippy feeling. The F80 Merino leather is thinner and has a satin texture with a nice smooth supple feeling. It's also frustrating to only have 2 black leather options on the M2C.
  • Stretched tires - Not a fan of the stretched tire look and surprised to see it from the factory on the the M2C. I'll be looking to swap in some meatier 255/275 tires soon.
  • No HUD - I miss the HUD from the F80 mostly for the digital speedometer. You can get similar functionality with the digital speedo on the M2C cluster display, but it's just not the same. I'll learn to live without this over time I'm sure.
  • No Permanent Oil Temp Gauge - There is no permanent oil temp gauge on the the M2C. This is pretty frustrating because it's another cluster display option so I find myself constantly battling between the digital speedo and oil temp gauge in the cluster display slot.
  • No trunk kick open - Another small convenience, but I definitely miss it on the M2C.

M2C Positives:
  • Handling - Wow, the M2C handles significantly better than the F80 and is just simply more fun to drive. It has a very direct turn-in followed with a back end that comes around really nicely. The weights of these cars are very close so I'm pleasantly surprised with how much more agile the M2C feels.
  • Electronic Steering - The M2C steering is a bit light in comparison to the F80 so I'm driving in the Sport Plus steering mode at all times to compensate. That aside, the overall steering feel is much better and less artificial feeling in the M2C.
  • Power delivery - Power delivery is very smooth and linear. I'm rarely breaking traction in the M2C where I used to break traction quite often in the F80. There is less drama and the power is easier to put down. I don't feel slower in the M2C at all, despite the detuned motor.
  • 788M Wheels - The 788Ms seem to be polarizing, but I love them. Big upgrade for me aesthetically over the 437Ms from the F80, but I'm a sucker for mesh style wheels.
  • Exhaust Note - The overall exhaust note is much nicer than my non-ZCP F80. A pleasant surprise, except for the annoying burbles!
  • Physical size - Somewhat obvious, but the M2C is smaller than I expected IRL and fits better in parking spots and my cramped garage. The turning radius is also much tighter. I rarely have rear seat passengers so the smaller size and lack of 4 doors isn't an issue.

Edit: I forgot the brakes.
  • Brakes - The brakes are very strong on the M2C. So much so that it's taking a bit of getting used to compared to the F80. The front rotors are massive and the gray colored calipers are much nicer looking than the blue colored calipers that always seemed a bit out of place on the F80.

Last edited by billspreston; 01-07-2019 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 5
      01-20-2019, 08:43 AM   #578
mic_crispy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 | 964 | x1 M35

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post
I'm coming from a '16 6MT "Civic" M3 comparing against a '19 DCT M2C so it's not an ideal comparison. A recent knee surgery forced me into an automatic, but I do really like the DCT.

The summary is as you might expect - the M2C is more fun to drive while the M3 is more convenient and livable. It's frustrating that we have to make compromises when getting into a smaller more sporty model, but that's the reality with car manufacturers. And to be fair, the F80 is over $16k more MSRP when similarly spec'd so the additionally provided amenities are certainly justified.

M2C Negatives:
  • No Carbon Fiber Roof - Really miss the style and contrast of the carbon fiber roof. I gladly would have paid to have this optioned from the factory on the M2C.
  • Juvenile exhaust burbles - I strongly dislike the drawn-out exhaust overrun "burbles" on the M2C.
  • Stiff suspension - The M2C is quite stiff and bordering on my tolerance level for a daily driver. The F80 with adaptive suspension was much more civilized.
  • Exterior style - Not really a negative as there are a lot of things I really like about the M2C exterior style, but the F80 design just feels a bit more cohesive and mean overall. The bland rear end of the M2C is a let down in comparison to the aggressive front.
  • Interior leather quality - The leather quality is quite poor on the M2C in comparison to the F80. The M2C Dakota leather is thick & saggy and has a matte texture with a grippy feeling. The F80 Merino leather is thinner and has a satin texture with a nice smooth supple feeling. It's also frustrating to only have 2 black leather options on the M2C.
  • Stretched tires - Not a fan of the stretched tire look and surprised to see it from the factory on the the M2C. I'll be looking to swap in some meatier 255/275 tires soon.
  • No HUD - I miss the HUD from the F80 mostly for the digital speedometer. You can get similar functionality with the digital speedo on the M2C cluster display, but it's just not the same. I'll learn to live without this over time I'm sure.
  • No Permanent Oil Temp Gauge - There is no permanent oil temp gauge on the the M2C. This is pretty frustrating because it's another cluster display option so I find myself constantly battling between the digital speedo and oil temp gauge in the cluster display slot.
  • No trunk kick open - Another small convenience, but I definitely miss it on the M2C.

M2C Positives:
  • Handling - Wow, the M2C handles significantly better than the F80 and is just simply more fun to drive. It has a very direct turn-in followed with a back end that comes around really nicely. The weights of these cars are very close so I'm pleasantly surprised with how much more agile the M2C feels.
  • Electronic Steering - The M2C steering is a bit light in comparison to the F80 so I'm driving in the Sport Plus steering mode at all times to compensate. That aside, the overall steering feel is much better and less artificial feeling in the M2C.
  • Power delivery - Power delivery is very smooth and linear. I'm rarely breaking traction in the M2C where I used to break traction quite often in the F80. There is less drama and the power is easier to put down. I don't feel slower in the M2C at all, despite the detuned motor.
  • 788M Wheels - The 788Ms seem to be polarizing, but I love them. Big upgrade for me aesthetically over the 437Ms from the F80, but I'm a sucker for mesh style wheels.
  • Exhaust Note - The overall exhaust note is much nicer than my non-ZCP F80. A pleasant surprise, except for the annoying burbles!
  • Physical size - Somewhat obvious, but the M2C is smaller than I expected IRL and fits better in parking spots and my cramped garage. The turning radius is also much tighter. I rarely have rear seat passengers so the smaller size and lack of 4 doors isn't an issue.

Edit: I forgot the brakes.
  • Brakes - The brakes are very strong on the M2C. So much so that it's taking a bit of getting used to compared to the F80. The front rotors are massive and the gray colored calipers are much nicer looking than the blue colored calipers that always seemed a bit out of place on the F80.
Good stuff! Pretty much everything i expected. I sold my M3 Comp recently and thinking of doing ED on a m2 this summer... seems like good timing to buy one while we see how the new M3 shakes out.
      01-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #579
JayDeeMD
Registered
Rep
Drives: Imagined M2C

This car is so beautiful. In the process of attempting to secure one for purchase. It's so odd - some posts make it seem easy to get one for less than MSRP, others make it seem impossible to even find an available car for purchase. I suppose I'll find out in the coming weeks which is more accurate.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #580
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i, '16 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeeMD View Post
This car is so beautiful. In the process of attempting to secure one for purchase. It's so odd - some posts make it seem easy to get one for less than MSRP, others make it seem impossible to even find an available car for purchase. I suppose I'll find out in the coming weeks which is more accurate.
I think the availability is tightly bound to the physical location in which you're shopping. I made one phone call to my local dealer in Plano, TX and spoke with my CA (who sold me four previous BMWs) and confirmed they had an allocation. Put down a deposit and started the European Delivery process.

I told them I wouldn't pay over MSRP and he told me they couldn't discount it. Negotiation over. Purchase made.

Of course, your mileage may vary...
      01-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #581
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Not sure if it has been mentioned but the first batch of 2020 cars will be allocated next month.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 05:35 PM   #582
JayDeeMD
Registered
Rep

Well, it is proving somewhat difficult to even find an available 6 speed manual M2C in the Southern California area at the moment. I've emailed a bunch of dealerships and allegedly there is only one M2C available on the West Coast.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 06:58 PM   #583
JayDeeMD
Registered
Rep

Also, MSRP for this car is $58,900, correct? If, for example, it was a 6 speed manual, alpine white, no executive package. I am getting quoted quite high MSRP prices.....And dealers are using the term MSRP, not MSRP + markup or "market price."
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 07:23 PM   #584
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeeMD View Post
Also, MSRP for this car is $58,900, correct? If, for example, it was a 6 speed manual, alpine white, no executive package. I am getting quoted quite high MSRP prices.....And dealers are using the term MSRP, not MSRP + markup or "market price."
Correct, 58900 + 995 for delivery. Not surprised to hear dealers marking it up. It's in short supply. Dealers that aren't slimy won't mark it up and will sell it at MSRP. They're out there, keep looking. You may have to go out of state.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #585
GoGoGadgetChris
Rep
Drives: M2C

Silly question, but did you guys receive like a free hat or something in the mail? Two days after I bought my M2c, I got an email from BMW NA saying "something special is headed your way. Wear it with pride" Nothing ever showed up and I didn't think anything of it.

But yesterday, BMW NA called me to do a general "it's been a month, what are your thoughts" call. I said I was very happy and also mentioned that, "I got an email saying there was something headed my way and to wear it with pride. Not a big deal, but I never got anything, if I was supposed to".

The rep got extremely defensive and told me they don't ever send out such an email and certainly weren't in the business of giving out free merchandise. I reiterated that I didn't care, and he asked if there was anything else I wanted to share before he ended the call.

It was a strange experience! I went from not giving a shit to a bit annoyed.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #586
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGadgetChris View Post
Silly question, but did you guys receive like a free hat or something in the mail? Two days after I bought my M2c, I got an email from BMW NA saying "something special is headed your way. Wear it with pride" Nothing ever showed up and I didn't think anything of it.

But yesterday, BMW NA called me to do a general "it's been a month, what are your thoughts" call. I said I was very happy and also mentioned that, "I got an email saying there was something headed my way and to wear it with pride. Not a big deal, but I never got anything, if I was supposed to".

The rep got extremely defensive and told me they don't ever send out such an email and certainly weren't in the business of giving out free merchandise. I reiterated that I didn't care, and he asked if there was anything else I wanted to share before he ended the call.

I got the exact same email. Never received anything.

edit: this was the email:
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 02:30 PM   #587
GoGoGadgetChris
Rep
Drives: M2C

Hm, looks like I mis-remembered it a bit. They're probably saying to wear the BMW Roundel (by driving the car) proudly.

The something special coming your way could be a "How to install the BMW App on your phone" email, I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #588
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGadgetChris View Post

His people skills need some fine "tuning"
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #589
JayDeeMD
Registered
Rep

Delivery Today

I figured it's only right that I close the loop on my buying experience. I called/emailed numerous dealers in California, many of which were recommended by a member of this forum. None of the dealers had any vehicles in stock (some had DCT, but I wanted manual). One told me that he had a car for two days and ended up selling it for $10K over MSRP. The universal thread was that the car is "almost impossible" to get at MSRP right now.

Multiple dealers said that there were no manual M2C left on the West Coast, and allegedly there were only 6 scattered around random parts of the country. I used various websites to find a few manual cars, but I soon realized that most of these were erroneously advertised - different colors and transmissions than what was represented online.

I eventually found a black m2c at a random dealership in Texas. Moreover, the "stop-sell" order that everyone had been talking about (which prevented sale of M2C until some tail-light issue was addressed) was lifted an hour or so before I called this particular dealership. And........the car was being sold for MSRP. I immediately closed the deal over the phone, and spent the next week exchanging paperwork and finalizing transportation details. *Side note*: Right after I closed the deal over the phone, the salesperson informed me that a family had walked into the dealership "begging" to buy the car; if I had called an hour later, I probably would have lost the car!

Long story short, delivery of the vehicle should be today or tomorrow morning. I've included some pics of the car before it was loaded onto the delivery truck.

Update: I just got a text as I was about to submit this that delivery will be between 4 and 6pm today. Hell yeah! Too bad it's raining in Los Angeles.

Thanks to those who responded to my questions and gave me some good advice and encouragement along the way. Maybe I'll see some of you around the Los Angeles Area.

I"ll throw in some pics and experience posts in the near future.
Attached Images

Last edited by JayDeeMD; 02-02-2019 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #590
jasonF30
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Great story man!! Congrats on the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #591
pawlie
Private
Rep
Drives: 328d

For what it's worth, I've been looking for a manual car in Arizona. I've called and emailed several dealers and gotten nothing. A lot of "maybe something in a few months...maybe". I was offered one automatic trans car in Phoenix at sticker, but that's been about it. One dealer tried to convince me that a manual/convertible M240 (at $56k) was basically the same car, which was interesting.

I want to wait for a new M2C, but one of those 2017 M2s for $45k that Carmax has is starting to look tempting.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 10:51 PM   #592
Lemie420
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

My M2C has been “in transit “ since the beginning of Feb. Hoping to have it by the end of the month.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #593
seanhaus
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Ordered a new 2020 M2C from BMW of Encinitas. I was told they had 6 open allocations at time of ordering (last Saturday.) They have been terrific to work with so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #594
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
[QUOTE=billspreston;24204682]
M2C Negatives:

If rumors are to be believed, the M2 CS will have a carbon fiber roof, I believe.

I am not sure if no kick open trunk is something one would expect or even want on a car like a M2C. Seems to me something one would want in a minivan or large sedan. The bootlid is so light it barely takes any effort to open. I'd think that the type of person that would be concerned about shaving off a few kilos with a carbon fiber roof wouldn't want to add them back on with a motor back there to open the boot.
Appreciate 1
bplewis24188.50