BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Best sounding Exhaust?

01-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #67
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by My E90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
Remus is exactly that - more refined than MPE and similar volume.
It doesn't rattle at startup and is less weight.

I'll use less emoticons next time, maybe this will convey a more adult message
That actually does help. Nice audio clip too. I'm assuming this is in Sport+?

Just looking for something that doesn't encourage the artificial pops&bangs too much. Guess I'm a little old school by just liking the occasional burbles.
First few revs are in traction rest is in sport+. There is a sweet spot at 3.5-4k at which when you downshift from 3rd to 2nd there are nice pops followed by a loud bang. I was driving near a wall with open window when it happened for the first time and I was like WTF - spectacular sound and feeling
This isn't specific to the Remus exhaust fyi. Happens with the stock system too.

Nonetheless your setup sounds great!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #68
Irielion
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 Competition

I have the MPE on the LCI with the Wagner downpipe. It drones and it's very very loud with the flaps open. Especially on the MDM mode the burbeling is banging.

With the flaps close and comfort mode it's quit.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:37 AM   #69
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

UK based BCS Powervalve CBE for OGM2

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:57 AM   #70
juicy
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F87 M2

Stock + catless downpipe = good sounding
Or a Akrapovic that is lighter than most after market exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 11:39 PM   #71
mikeyryap
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Hey, I was wondering if anyone here is selling a used aftermarket exhaust for F87 M2 N55.

Washington / Oregon preferred, Used please!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 12:13 PM   #72
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyryap View Post
Hey, I was wondering if anyone here is selling a used aftermarket exhaust for F87 M2 N55.

Washington / Oregon preferred, Used please!

Thanks
I have an FI exhaust at the moment and I absolutely love it. I think a few people were selling one on the marketplace forum !
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 04:59 AM   #73
r33ce89
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 350z, 135i DCT, E92 M3, Z4 35i

Also with FI Cat Back and a VRSF downpipe here in the UK... car sounds mega but so quiet with the valves closed which is best of both worlds really!
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1189.50
      05-05-2023, 12:49 PM   #74
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33ce89 View Post
Also with FI Cat Back and a VRSF downpipe here in the UK... car sounds mega but so quiet with the valves closed which is best of both worlds really!
yeah it’s actually crazy how quiet it gets
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 12:17 AM   #75
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD, VW e Golf (DD)

Fabspeed

In my experience the best sounding exhaust pipe is the stock system with a Fabspeed 200 cell sport cat ...it is always a personal preference issue of course.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 10:47 AM   #76
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanen View Post
In my experience the best sounding exhaust pipe is the stock system with a Fabspeed 200 cell sport cat ...it is always a personal preference issue of course.
If the customer is looking for a very mild increase, the catted downpipe isthe way to go.

In most cases, customers are looking for more sound.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 12:18 PM   #77
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
If the customer is looking for a very mild increase, the catted downpipe isthe way to go.

In most cases, customers are looking for more sound.
Customers are clueless because they normally must get a full exhaust on most other cars.

The Fabspeed sport cat deepens the tone, adds a bit of power, and increases the volume/artifacts by at least 30%. A tune then furthers everything, adding a bit of volume/artifacts.

If people would do these mods first, most would not need a terribly expensive set of pipes we call an exhaust system.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 12:55 PM   #78
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Customers are clueless because they normally must get a full exhaust on most other cars.

The Fabspeed sport cat deepens the tone, adds a bit of power, and increases the volume/artifacts by at least 30%. A tune then furthers everything, adding a bit of volume/artifacts. If people would do these mods first, most would not need a terribly expensive set of pipes we call an exhaust system.
This seems to be a BMW thing, as I've had other cars and I've never seen a muffler called a "exhaust" It's been a thing since at least the E36 days, when these guys would make a killing on selling a muffler that maybe adds 5whp and cost $1100 (in 1990's money mind you)

Meanwhile, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Acura, even Mercedes aftermarket companies will sell a "cat back" solution that is often times "bolt on" to the exhaust manifold all the way back for similar cost. I really enjoy seeing companies like Info@mad-us.com and VRSF cut the BMW tax away and just offer competitive (and sometimes outright superior) products for reasonable costs.

Especially considering a lot of these products have zero R&D behind them (CSF oil cooler, Wagner Evo series intercoolers, Wagner downpipe, etc)
      10-20-2023, 01:10 PM   #79
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The Fabspeed sport cat deepens the tone, adds a bit of power, and increases the volume/artifacts by at least 30%. A tune then furthers everything, adding a bit of volume/artifacts.

If people would do these mods first, most would not need a terribly expensive set of pipes we call an exhaust system.
Im a bit confused as to where this conversation is going

Customers, especially forum members, do their research before buying, I would not call them clueless.

While I agree with you that catted downpipes are an excellent start for more sound and power, it is not enough for most customers, so they get an exhaust.

We are lucky that for almost any part, you get a wide selection from low price to expensive.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 01:42 PM   #80
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Customers, especially forum members, do their research before buying, I would not call them clueless.
Coming from any other world that I know of you'd start with a muffler section of some sort. This is usually for power and sound. However, with the F87 that's not necessary at all, as the replacement of the muffler section will result in 0 power gains, and it sounds nice bone stock...and even better with just a downpipe.

Quote:
While I agree with you that catted downpipes are an excellent start for more sound and power, it is not enough for most customers, so they get an exhaust.
You mean most of your customers? I'd say that for the vast majority of F87 owners a downpipe is enough, and purchasing a full exhaust afterwards results in many thinking it's too much.

You see it from a retailers perspective, I see it from an owners perspective.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 02:04 PM   #81
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
This seems to be a BMW thing, as I've had other cars and I've never seen a muffler called a "exhaust" It's been a thing since at least the E36 days, when these guys would make a killing on selling a muffler that maybe adds 5whp and cost $1100 (in 1990's money mind you)

Meanwhile, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Acura, even Mercedes aftermarket companies will sell a "cat back" solution that is often times "bolt on" to the exhaust manifold all the way back for similar cost. I really enjoy seeing companies like Info@mad-us.com and VRSF cut the BMW tax away and just offer competitive (and sometimes outright superior) products for reasonable costs.

Especially considering a lot of these products have zero R&D behind them (CSF oil cooler, Wagner Evo series intercoolers, Wagner downpipe, etc)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 02:14 PM   #82
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Coming from any other world that I know of you'd start with a muffler section of some sort. This is usually for power and sound. However, with the F87 that's not necessary at all, as the replacement of the muffler section will result in 0 power gains, and it sounds nice bone stock...and even better with just a downpipe.
While some customers prefer the stock sound, others get an exhaust because they want more sound.

Referring to them as "clueless" might not be accurate, as most forum members understand that an axle-back enhances the vehicle's sound rather than adding power.

My previous response wasn't about whether your opinion on downpipes is right or wrong. Im addressing the term "clueless," which may not accurately represent individuals who choose different modifications for their cars (when you say clueless, to me it sounds as if you are saying they don't know what they are doing, when in my opinion they know and that's what they want from their build).

Modifying a vehicle is all about personal preference, and that's the beauty of it in my opinion.

Quote:
You mean most of your customers? I'd say that for the vast majority of F87 owners a downpipe is enough, and purchasing a full exhaust afterwards results in many thinking it's too much.

You see it from a retailers perspective, I see it from an owners perspective.
I did not say the vast majority, I used most, but I'm going to rectify the term and use a more appropriate one in this case. Instead of most I will say "A large number of customers get an exhaust for more sound than what the downpipe offers".

it's not about perspective; the data is clear on this one. Many companies have sold hundreds, if not thousands, of exhaust systems for this particular car. This indicates that many people want more than just the sound upgrade offered by a downpipe or stock.

Also, we offer 160 brands and over 70,000 products. Whether a customer opts for an exhaust or a downpipe, maintains a stock setup, or gets other upgrades, we can be profitable. So please don't take my response as if I'm trying to make a sale; I'm just having a respectful conversation (no intentions to change your mind and get you to buy an exhaust from us )

I will leave it at that, I worry this might turn into a back-and-forth argument, and that's not what i want. I said my opinion, and i certainly respect your opinion

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 09:24 PM   #83
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Im addressing the term "clueless," which may not accurately represent individuals who choose different modifications for their cars (when you say clueless, to me it sounds as if you are saying they don't know what they are doing, when in my opinion they know and that's what they want from their build).
The word "clueless" was used to describe how most guys don't know that they should first start with a downpipe, and that the expense of a full exhaust is many times not necessary if they do so. They don't know this because it's not like that on a lot of cars, but BMW made the stock exhaust on this car quite good. There is also no power to be had with a full exhaust (at standard stages), and if they will do a sport cat or cat delete first, then a tune, many times they don't have to do a full exhaust to get the increased volume they are after.

Quote:
it's not about perspective; the data is clear on this one. Many companies have sold hundreds, if not thousands, of exhaust systems for this particular car. This indicates that many people want more than just the sound upgrade offered by a downpipe or stock.
Compared to the number of stock cars out there I'd wager that exhaust sales don't even equal 20%, with most of those coming from MPE's sold by the dealer along with every other bell and whistle. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Peace bro, always!
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2023, 08:34 PM   #84
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 OGM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Can yall please offer a 4" catless downpipe that transitions into a 3.5" midpipe and dual 3" for the m2 n55? Possibly a rear section like Eisemen race...Use the same rear and mid section for the m2C....
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2272.00
      10-23-2023, 08:41 AM   #85
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGSON View Post
Can yall please offer a 4" catless downpipe that transitions into a 3.5" midpipe and dual 3" for the m2 n55? Possibly a rear section like Eisemen race...Use the same rear and mid section for the m2C....
I've asked - I don't need it to go to dual - just a single or being modular is enough for me.
      10-23-2023, 10:07 PM   #86
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 OGM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I've asked - I don't need it to go to dual - just a single or being modular is enough for me.
I want dual to maintain the factory quad exhaust tip on the f87..

I also asked MAD, VRSF, Etc...System would work and be modular for 240's, 235's, m2 and m2c...One of my local shops even does testing for them, but the suppliers aren't interested. Even though they have very similar systems already...

So I'm going to link up with a local welder in NC and get it done, tired of waiting....I can make a few extra's if people on here want them. Our cars are similar enough. I do know 3.5 near the rear diff is tight. Held a piece up there the other day while on the lift.
Appreciate 0