BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > So I drove an M2 today but also consider a Cayman S

12-30-2017, 09:52 PM   #23
ThereCanBeOnly1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lame family vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Thanks - I understood your first mention of this. I guess my point is who buys any Porsche without a real rear diff. I'm just say'in.
I truly think most buyers wouldn't recognize it being there. The grip is high enough on these that on a street it would be VERY hard to reach that point. On track I don't believe for a second that I wouldn't notice. I've done both, and open diffs on track make my special place feel sad.

Looks to me like a properly equipped Cayman ends up being at least 10k over the M2. Food for my thoughts. Especially if I find out there was a magic button to make the m performance exhaust louder- that was one of the things what really bugged me- it was WAY too quiet. I chalked it up to the turbos, but maybe there is hope. I want the M2 to work out.

Then again, I could always go for true horror and get a used Z06. I'd just gut the interior so I don't have to look at it and drop in a cage and proper seat. I'd still wear the wife beater and gold chain though, because that would be awesome. Man, Corvettes are pretty unreal on the track. I'm used to seeing the backs of them often.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      12-30-2017, 11:16 PM   #24
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereCanBeOnly1 View Post
I wasn't clear before- you CAN get one, but it is an ala carte option called PTV (Porsche Torque Vectoring). It does some other stuff too, but at its heart is a mechanical limited slip. Problem is very few people order it that way, as truthfully if you weren't going to track it you'd be hard pressed to miss it.
Just curious - where'd you get info indicating that 'very few' ppl order a Cayman w/o PTV?

My father got a new Cayman S one year ago (at my suggestion) and I pestered him into getting PTV figuring that most ppl would expect it (should he ever sell it), plus there is a super tight ramp on the way home from my job where I think I could tell the difference (should I ever whip his car around it ), as my departed G35 sedan could rip around that 180 degree corner at the same obscene speed as my Miata (both with LSD), whereas my former 335i M Sport was not in the same league (open diff*).

*I realize there are other factors in play - for example, all 3 of those cars wore different tires, but they were all on high-po summer rubber and the difference in speed on that crazy corner was significant; at any rate, it doesn't make sense to me to cheap out on PTV on a new Porsche that costs well over $70k.
rich8566608.50
      12-30-2017, 11:44 PM   #25
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Looks to me like a properly equipped Cayman ends up being at least 10k over the M2. Food for my thoughts. Especially if I find out there was a magic button to make the m performance exhaust louder- that was one of the things what really bugged me- it was WAY too quiet. I chalked it up to the turbos, but maybe there is hope. I want the M2 to work out.
I guess it depends on how you equip it (and of course there are so many options), but for me a new Cayman S is about $20k more than an M2, while a base Cayman is, yea, about $10k more.

I've driven both my M2 and my father's '17 Cayman S (albeit on the street) and, as much as I love my M2, I'd rather have the Cayman on a track - the steering is notably better (not that the M2's is bad) and the handling is just bonkers (mid-engine, pure sports car chassis, around 400 lbs lighter, etc).

If the significantly higher price and lack of back seats aren't an issue, then the Cayman is a better overall sports car. I would have been on the fence between an M2 and a Cayman but I had been wanting the M2 long before the 2017 redesign of the Cayman, plus I didn't want to spend that much $$ with two kids in school for 3 more years and, even tho it's the first Porsche in our family (pops came very close to buying one a couple times in the past), I've heard the sounds of enough non-turbo, flat-six Porsches that it'd be a bummer to hear the muffled turbo four (it actually doesn't sound bad - just not in the same league). No question my M2 sounds better. Plus it'd be lame if we both had the same car.
rich8566608.50
      12-31-2017, 12:17 AM   #26
ThereCanBeOnly1
Private First Class
Rep

Well a few things:

#1: Now I understand the M-Performance Exhaust. Watched a video. Then like 4 more. So there is a bluetooth button thing. Which I will need to ask the dealer on Monday if they have. If not, I will need to see about a replacement...

#2: I got the idea that very few ppl order the PTV from doing autotrader and Porsche.com searches. Lets say I search '14-'16 Cayman S, I might see 300 or so results. If I add a PTV keyword, or in the case of the porsche website check an actual box for PTV, the results drop to a number like 7.

#3: The $10k spread I mentioned was based upon the Cayman S being Used a fair amount (like 2 years or more with like 20k miles. New the spread is much worse.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 01:19 AM   #27
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

Quote:
Bluetooth controller? Tell me more! No I didn't see anything of that nature
lol I'm guessing you drove with the valves closed then.

Attaching an interior photo of my m2, look at the cup holder. There's a Bluetooth controller that controls the outside valves of the quad pipes. You press twice to open, twice to close. Make sure the car has it! Also, you have a shot of the back of the car?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-31-2017, 01:25 AM   #28
ThereCanBeOnly1
Private First Class
Rep

No I don't have a good rear shot. I don't think there was a CF diffuser. Sucks I need to wait until Monday to follow up about the button.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 02:11 AM   #29
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No I don't have a good rear shot. I don't think there was a CF diffuser. Sucks I need to wait until Monday to follow up about the button.
Rear shot was more to confirm that the car actually has MPE, but cf diffuser as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 02:34 AM   #30
ThereCanBeOnly1
Private First Class
Rep

Well the muffler was stamped as such and it had the CF finishers on the pipes
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2017, 03:18 AM   #31
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Sorry to tell you this, but posting here will get only get you numerous responses encouraging you to get the M2. I suppose you'll get an equal number of reactions stating the same for the Porsche over on a Porsche board. Oh, and by the way, get the M2 since it is the best choice.
Please.... people here fucking love Porsche.
Appreciate 5
      12-31-2017, 03:27 AM   #32
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks - I understood your first mention of this. I guess my point is who buys any Porsche without a real rear diff. I'm just say'in.
I truly think most buyers wouldn't recognize it being there. The grip is high enough on these that on a street it would be VERY hard to reach that point. On track I don't believe for a second that I wouldn't notice. I've done both, and open diffs on track make my special place feel sad.

Then again, I could always go for true horror and get a used Z06. I'd just gut the interior so I don't have to look at it and drop in a cage and proper seat. I'd still wear the wife beater and gold chain though, because that would be awesome. Man, Corvettes are pretty unreal on the track. I'm used to seeing the backs of them often.
Dear god don't get a Z06. Think straight man!
Attached Images

12-31-2017, 03:33 AM   #33
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Windows look tinted, find out if there is clear bra/PPF on the car, that is some added value.

Stripes are a deal breaker for me, but perhaps you prefer them. Maybe they will take them off for you, or pay to have them taken off at a detail shop?

One could argue the Cayman is one of the best sports cars period, so if the money end works out, maybe that fits your needs better.

Looks like MY19 M2 (Competition) is going to have the S55 engine and likely a price bump, but we don't not if it's a lot or a little. Keep that in mind when buying a used M2 right now. Maybe use that to get them to bring the price down more.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 04:00 AM   #34
zerofighter
projecttechnik.com
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP

I was in a similar position as you but it was F80 or 718 Cayman S so this might be a bit of a tangent.

The 718S is clearly the better sports car compared to the heavy F80 and the Z4M coupe I came from. I enjoyed the 718S drive much much more than the F80 and Z4M. I almost ordered a 718S but then I drove the 981S and while the 718S handled better, that flat6 sound was incredible so I ordered the F80 as a stop-gap until I could get a 981 GT4 or the upcoming 718 GT4. If they had a 981 GT4 near MSRP or a 981 GTS I would have jumped on it.

I'll also echo that a similarly equipped 718S was 10-15k more than my somewhat loaded F80, that being said, there is nothing wrong with a base car.

I would probably wait until the M2 competition/cs/whatever they are calling it comes out then reassess your options. If you need a car now, I would probably got for a 718S over the M2.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2017, 08:11 AM   #35
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Well the muffler was stamped as such and it had the CF finishers on the pipes
If the actual muffler can says M Performance across the back where you can see it then you have the correct product. Also look into each outer pipe and there should be a valve. and in the trunk there will be a BT module mounted in front of the distribution block and two black cables running down to a plugged hole in the bottom of the trunk. p/n for the portable transmitter is 18 30 2 414 896 (for US)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 09:22 AM   #36
ThereCanBeOnly1
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you sir!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 10:42 AM   #37
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Sorry to tell you this, but posting here will get only get you numerous responses encouraging you to get the M2. I suppose you'll get an equal number of reactions stating the same for the Porsche over on a Porsche board. Oh, and by the way, get the M2 since it is the best choice.
Please.... people here fucking love Porsche.
It's only fitting that the M2 he is contemplating is AT a PORSCHE dealer.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      12-31-2017, 12:41 PM   #38
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Cayman S is a great car. It would boil down to practicality choosing it over an M2. And you to keep it similar priced you would need to get a 2-3 year old one, versus a new M2. If you can live with just 2 seats and having a used car, then the Cayman S is a great choice. Drove my buddies several time and love it. Only thing I don't like is the gearing is a bit tall. Seems like it would be a lot faster if it had shorter gearing.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 03:40 PM   #39
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

I had a cayman S (stock)... thought it was ok. Agree on the taller gearing, I also had an s2000 which was on the other spectrum. The M2 feels good... It’s been a few cars ago, but i prefer the clutch and shifter on the M2 (it feels like my short shifter on my golf R)

People always say how crappy the interior of the M2 is, ... I never liked any of my Porsche interiors. I actually preferred my golf R interior to the Porsche.porsche interior felt a little low quality for how high end the cAr is. The m2 open weave is kind of meh tho, that said I like the placement of most things in the M2. Would have been better if the finish was similar to my x5. But for the price and it’s brand new.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 08:22 PM   #40
MRufo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Well a few things:

#1: Now I understand the M-Performance Exhaust. Watched a video. Then like 4 more. So there is a bluetooth button thing. Which I will need to ask the dealer on Monday if they have. If not, I will need to see about a replacement...

#2: I got the idea that very few ppl order the PTV from doing autotrader and Porsche.com searches. Lets say I search '14-'16 Cayman S, I might see 300 or so results. If I add a PTV keyword, or in the case of the porsche website check an actual box for PTV, the results drop to a number like 7.

#3: The $10k spread I mentioned was based upon the Cayman S being Used a fair amount (like 2 years or more with like 20k miles. New the spread is much worse.
#2 is true. Very few caymans have PTV.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 10:46 PM   #41
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

On a side note that little rattle under the central tunnel is like 99% because of the M performance exhaust. I don't know how the hell the guys in the ports suck so bad at installing the M performance exhaust but it usually bounces against the heat shield causing a bit of a rattle.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 12:15 AM   #42
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 MG 6-Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanofakind01 View Post

Attaching an interior photo of my m2, look at the cup holder. There's a Bluetooth controller that controls the outside valves of the quad pipes. You press twice to open, twice to close. Make sure the car has it! Also, you have a shot of the back of the car?
would you mind sharing what kind of shifter you got on there? ive seen it in multiple pictures but keep forgetting to ask. noticeable upgrade over stock?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #43
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9GunSlinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanofakind01 View Post

would you mind sharing what kind of shifter you got on there? ive seen it in multiple pictures but keep forgetting to ask. noticeable upgrade over stock?
Sure thing, it's just the m performance shifter from the 2 series. It's dry cf with an alcantara boot with white stitching. I just swapped the shift knobs with the m2 boot. You can buy one that's already swapped from iND as well if you're not comfortable with DIY.

It's a shorter shift, but not noticeably heavier than the zcp shifter. Personally when I first changed it in my m235 I was torn between keeping it, but it matched my interior when I changed my aluminum trim to the dry cf trim. After driving with the m performance shifter for a few years now i prefer it and can't go back to the zcp shifter as the zcp is a noticeably longer shift.

Adding a few photos for reference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 07:03 PM   #44
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
I don't own a Porsche or a BMW yet. I am pretty unbiased I feel. The only thing is, if one were to buy a Porsche, why waste time on a Cayman. Grab a 911!
I'm on a list for both a M2/CS and a new gt3 with the manual transmission. Whichever comes up first will be the one I buy first. My kids will ride in the M2/CS if it has rear seats, GT3 will be for me