BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > P112F CEL

07-03-2017, 06:24 AM   #1
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

P112F CEL

So lately I have been getting a P112F CEL . I have done a little research and not come up with any real solid answers, they seem to be all over the place. I have seen:

Manifold Absolute Pressure to Throttle Angle - Too High (Bank 1)

and I have also seen this:
P112F 1st time - MAF sensor
P112F 2nd time - throttle body
P112F 3rd time (became a puma case) - waste gate actuator
P112F 4th time (puma case reopened) - cylinder head had a crack in it. replaced cylinder head and a worn piston

The light clears with a scan tool but comes back on. Anyone else been getting this? I have a Fabspeed HFC and JB+ installed. Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

What's your setting on the jb+? Might try turning it down a bit if it's at max.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #3
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmethecash View Post
What's your setting on the jb+? Might try turning it down a bit if it's at max.
Yeah, it is cranked all the way up. I was thinking of turning it down to see what happens. I have had it in the car for almost 8 months so it is strange that it would come on now.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

The CEL does not come on while I am driving, only when I start the car the next time

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #5
DragonGate
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 15' X5M & 17' M2

Remove it for a week
FSociety3810.00
      07-05-2017, 09:41 AM   #6
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Yeah... I don't think the JB+ at Max settings is a good idea on the M2 N55.. the M2 already is fairly aggressive on its stock tune.. your best bet is to go full JB4 with the M2 firmware or run an actual flash
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      07-05-2017, 09:48 AM   #7
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

I am gonna turn it down and see if it continues. It is just so strange that I have been running it for as long as I have with no issues until now.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #8
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2s63tu View Post
Remove it for a week
I think this would be the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
Yeah... I don't think the JB+ at Max settings is a good idea on the M2 N55.. the M2 already is fairly aggressive on its stock tune.. your best bet is to go full JB4 with the M2 firmware or run an actual flash
Agreed, with jb4 he wont be able to run anything but map1 (4psi over stock) and is a map6 (Custom Boost Profile) will need Dyno-tweaking to properly dial-her in or like you said Flash (which i would recommend too) seeing how PTF/Bootmod3 has been tuning a lot of M2 across the globe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
I am gonna turn it down and see if it continues. It is just so strange that I have been running it for as long as I have with no issues until now.
My friend with a 335GT has been getting DTMAL with his ActiveAutowerke8 piggyback he had on max all winter and as soon as humid weather came by, its been non-stop issue. He even lowered to default setting and i think has gotten it still.
Did you switch gas grade or station? I know someone who got a CEL when he used speedway or raceway gas, switched to a TopTierGas brand and CEL went away.
I'm pretty sure car is not liking the jb+ on max in this weather (lack of Cooling/Airflow)

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      07-06-2017, 07:28 AM   #9
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post

Agreed, with jb4 he wont be able to run anything but map1 (4psi over stock) and is a map6 (Custom Boost Profile) will need Dyno-tweaking to properly dial-her in or like you said Flash (which i would recommend too) seeing how PTF/Bootmod3 has been tuning a lot of M2 across the globe.

My friend with a 335GT has been getting DTMAL with his ActiveAutowerke8 piggyback he had on max all winter and as soon as humid weather came by, its been non-stop issue. He even lowered to default setting and i think has gotten it still.
Did you switch gas grade or station? I know someone who got a CEL when he used speedway or raceway gas, switched to a TopTierGas brand and CEL went away.
I'm pretty sure car is not liking the jb+ on max in this weather (lack of Cooling/Airflow)
It has not come back on since I cleared the code on Monday. But I have not really been pushing the car to much (don't know if that matters). I have not had time to lower the setting or remove it. Maybe I will try this weekend and drive the car hard and see if it comes back on. It is interesting what you said about the weather being a factor with your friend. I thought about that a little. I always use a name brand gas station, mostly BP. I'll let you know. Thanks. I think that moving to a big boy tune is in my future.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
MdMcoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Mcoupe (blown/track toy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post

Quote:
It has not come back on since I cleared the code on Monday. But I have not really been pushing the car to much (don't know if that matters). I have not had time to lower the setting or remove it. Maybe I will try this weekend and drive the car hard and see if it comes back on. It is interesting what you said about the weather being a factor with your friend. I thought about that a little. I always use a name brand gas station, mostly BP. I'll let you know. Thanks. I think that moving to a big boy tune is in my future.

So out of the blue I am getting the same P112F code. I too have the JB+ and a Fabspeed sport cat, but also a CTS intake.

My JB+ has always been set at #3, as I heard it may not like being turned all the way up.

Maybe I have an old scanner (Actron) but I can't delete the code. My scanners shows the code as "Permanent".

So i don't know what to do? Twin Fed, did you figure out the cause....

Any advice on a fix or clearing my code?

Thanks
      10-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #11
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdMcoupe View Post
So out of the blue I am getting the same P112F code. I too have the JB+ and a Fabspeed sport cat, but also a CTS intake.

My JB+ has always been set at #3, as I heard it may not like being turned all the way up.

Maybe I have an old scanner (Actron) but I can't delete the code. My scanners shows the code as "Permanent".

So i don't know what to do? Twin Fed, did you figure out the cause....

Any advice on a fix or clearing my code?

Thanks
\
Since turning the JB+ down to around midway, I think that I only got the code once or twice. But it cleared, it never hasn't. I used a cheap $60 code reader/clearer. I have also since installed a FMIC, charge pipes and intake. I will definitely say that it does not like being turned up all the way, especially in the warmer weather. I would take it out, disconnect the battery. Let the car sit for an hour and then reconnect the battery and start the car. If the code is still there try and clear it again. If it clears drive the car without the JB+ for a while and then lower the JB+ and reinstall it and see what happens. Let us know.

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #12
bluescoupe
motorhead
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Had a JB+ and had the same P112F code. Went from Max, to 5, to 3 to out!
The code would drop off after about 6-8 new starts, but still a pain.
IMO it is not suitable for the M2.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #13
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

sorry for the old bump, but people who got this code, get rid of it by removing the JB+?

Got the same code on my 2013 N55, but after 6 month using the JB+.
Note that the car is running fine, and still pull hard, I felt no difference at all.

I can't really play with the setting, since its a 1st gen JB+ (the one with 4 plugs on it), and with the latest BMS software, the reading are inaccurate (see picture).

The code appeared after a really cold morning (-24°C drybuld, -11°F)...
It might be related...

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #14
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Since turning mine down I have not had any issues with getting this code again

Appreciate 1
oVeRdOsE.2687.50
      01-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #15
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

thanks,

any thought on the JB4 ?

A good friend of mine is selling his JB4 since his M235 go back to the dealer.

160$, its a steal !

but I wont get into all the installation process if its not better...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 01:45 PM   #16
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

I don't really have any thoughts on a JB4, sorry. All I can tell you is that, that would not be the direction I went in if I was planning on really tuning my car.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 02:09 PM   #17
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I feel like unless you're using it as a meth controller, JB product is not something to be used on an M2. Too many stories and flash tunes exist for reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #18
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't really have any thoughts on a JB4, sorry. All I can tell you is that, that would not be the direction I went in if I was planning on really tuning my car.
yeah I know, but the engine/trans still under warranty...

On my dd audi, I did not use a piggyback, I got a real dyno tune, ecu flashed and lot of parts...

the bmw is the 2nd car ... :

- wife said : keep it stock
- friends said : keep it stock.
- the whole world told me to keep it stock
- me : ahh, just a piggyback, set of wheel, exhaust, suspension, anddd im done

low safe value on the JB shouldn't be a big problem according to my reading... until this code. lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #19
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Yeah, my car is still under warranty too, that is one of the reasons why I have not pulled the trigger in a real tune. Especially since one of my injectors went bad and they were pressing me hard about a tune. My stock is only changing the DP, Intercooler, Charge Pipes, Intake and JB+, LOL.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #20
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Yeah, my car is still under warranty too, that is one of the reasons why I have not pulled the trigger in a real tune. Especially since one of my injectors went bad and they were pressing me hard about a tune. My stock is only changing the DP, Intercooler, Charge Pipes, Intake and JB+, LOL.
Exact reason I opted for the fancier piggyback (JB4) lol

Dont really need or want the flash.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 02:58 AM   #21
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Oh gosh. The fact that you guys are getting warranties done with a Jb+ or JB4 just means you’re lucky.

People who think running a piggy back or worse a dumb device that simply reducing reduce voltage on the MAP sensor baffles me.

The M2 has a overboost mode that other N55’s don’t. Because of that it runs about 13-14psi when overboost is running and roughly 11psi without on the stock tune.

Using a pure additive tuner will be a very bad idea as the engine won’t see the additional boost until it does a MAF plausibility check along with the increase in fuel consumption.

You’re lucky the M2 targets relatively rich AFRs. I guarantee the OP cracked a cylinder head due to lean condition with the JB+
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 03:13 AM   #22
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

It's been flawless for me on Map3.

I apologize if every other person who's had first hand knowledge had a bad experience with the JB4.

Would not run the JB+ though.

But we do have options so that's always good!

Not everyone will jump the wagon and go MHD or BM3 if they don't find it necessary.
Appreciate 0