BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Rear parking sensor on/off switch installed

01-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #67
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
The buttons!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Scrape37.50
      01-31-2017, 02:16 AM   #68
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
My Czech dealer wants 2787 CZK which is 103 EUR (incl. VAT) for the part. That is not cheap... Now asking a Dutch dealership.

MR
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 03:39 AM   #69
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
My Czech dealer wants 2787 CZK which is 103 EUR (incl. VAT) for the part. That is not cheap... Now asking a Dutch dealership.

MR
Yea was quoted around £90 for uk RHD via BMW dealer.

Paid £27 for a used one via eBay. Hopefully a working one with minimal dinks.
      01-31-2017, 10:08 AM   #70
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2wolf View Post
Yea was quoted around £90 for uk RHD via BMW dealer.

Paid £27 for a used one via eBay. Hopefully a working one with minimal dinks.
Ordered it in NL for 77 EUR excl VAT.

MR
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 10:50 AM   #71
marcusfva
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: M2'17 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Ordered it in NL for 77 EUR excl VAT.

MR
For BMW OEM parts in Europe, this is very good:

https://www.leebmann24.de/bedieneinh...319252912.html
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 12:30 PM   #72
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Part arrived - was easy to pry open and remove the rocker (Sport-Eco Pro) switch. I used a kitchen knife.

Any ideas how to remove the existing part on the console? Mine's a 6-MT.

I inserted an old credit card on the lower left corner. But can't seem to pop it out. Some tips and advice is appreciated!
      01-31-2017, 01:55 PM   #73
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Dct or manual? I found it easier to remove the manual shift boot. Just grab the boot on a corner and pull straight up
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 02:16 PM   #74
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
Dct or manual? I found it easier to remove the manual shift boot. Just grab the boot on a corner and pull straight up
Mine's manual.

I placed an old CC bottom left hand corner. Managed to place it underneath the part.. but just doesn't lift up.

I don't really want to use too much force to break some bits fitted on the console... will try again in the weekend.
      01-31-2017, 02:18 PM   #75
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
No guts no glory mate What's the worst that can happen? Just pull on the shift boot really hard straight up. Once it's off you can get under the boots and pry it up from the bottom.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #76
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
No guts no glory mate What's the worst that can happen? Just pull on the shift boot really hard straight up. Once it's off you can get under the boots and pry it up from the bottom.
OK, so you'll need to remove the shift boot to work.

Ta.
      01-31-2017, 11:06 PM   #77
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Mine's manual.

I placed an old CC bottom left hand corner. Managed to place it underneath the part.. but just doesn't lift up.

I don't really want to use too much force to break some bits fitted on the console... will try again in the weekend.
I have a 6MT too. I was able to remove the button panel without removing the shifter boot (although it certainly wouldn't hurt to remove it first).

I found it more effective to pry the button panel out from the top end (i.e., the end near the DSC Off button) than the bottom end which seems more flexible and delicate.

I used a plastic pry tool that was shaped pretty much like a very wide flat blade screw driver. Took an uncomfortable amount of pressure (more than I had expected), but the button panel finally popped out.

Good luck! -scr

Edited to add: I started prying on the top right corner of the button panel, and worked my way to the left.

Last edited by SoCalRob; 01-31-2017 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
M2wolf182.50
      02-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #78
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

I googled images of all 3 part numbers from one of the posts above; for the original switch, and the ones with the extra buttons. My theory was that there would be additional pins for each of the P/Ns that had more buttons, and that I could cobble/bespoke a switch to effect the same change as the button by putting a switch inline on the extra wire. But it looks like each switch has the same number of pins where the module gets plugged in. So there must be some momentary break on one of the wires that triggers the audio and video off. Without a wiring diagram, it's beyond my skills. But I bet it would be pretty easy.

Yes, all to save $100, but I like tilting at windmills.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 01:38 PM   #79
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantComplain View Post
I googled images of all 3 part numbers from one of the posts above; for the original switch, and the ones with the extra buttons. My theory was that there would be additional pins for each of the P/Ns that had more buttons, and that I could cobble/bespoke a switch to effect the same change as the button by putting a switch inline on the extra wire. But it looks like each switch has the same number of pins where the module gets plugged in. So there must be some momentary break on one of the wires that triggers the audio and video off. Without a wiring diagram, it's beyond my skills. But I bet it would be pretty easy.

Highly likely it's more complicated that that. All the switches and buttons are communicating over a com bus of some kind, from CAN thought to 100Mb Ethernet, depending upon the component. Yes, the cars have Ethernet.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #80
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRob View Post
I have a 6MT too. I was able to remove the button panel without removing the shifter boot (although it certainly wouldn't hurt to remove it first).

I found it more effective to pry the button panel out from the top end (i.e., the end near the DSC Off button) than the bottom end which seems more flexible and delicate.

I used a plastic pry tool that was shaped pretty much like a very wide flat blade screw driver. Took an uncomfortable amount of pressure (more than I had expected), but the button panel finally popped out.

Good luck! -scr

Edited to add: I started prying on the top right corner of the button panel, and worked my way to the left.
Still can't remove it.. re: shift boot, kinda worried to tug it out as I might not be able to put it back again..

Will look into it at daylight during the weekend...
      02-01-2017, 03:58 PM   #81
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Still can't remove it.. re: shift boot, kinda worried to tug it out as I might not be able to put it back again..

Sorry to hear you're still having problems.

Regarding the shift boot - a few weeks back, I removed mine in order to swap it for a leather version (not a fan of Alcantara). It was exceedingly easy to take out. Just put a plastic panel removal tool under the bottom left corner and pry up. When I did this, the entire shift boot popped out easily and cleanly. It's held in by little plastic clips in each corner, and is very easy to put back in (just press down each corner clip).

Having said that, as I mentioned before, you don't really have to remove the boot in order to remove the button panel. In fact, I used the top left corner of the shifter boot as a lever point when prying out the button panel.

Keep at it - it will come out eventually. However, as I noted before, you may have to use an amount of force which seems excessive, almost scary.

Good luck. -scr
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 04:15 PM   #82
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
Highly likely it's more complicated that that. All the switches and buttons are communicating over a com bus of some kind, from CAN thought to 100Mb Ethernet, depending upon the component. Yes, the cars have Ethernet.
It is probably more complicated upstream, but I bet the serious stuff happens at the ECU, not the switch. I bet the switch is just a simple SPST, $2 at Radio Shack that sends a signal that the ECU interprets.

How cool would it be to embed a switch in say, the knee pad? Just a tap from the knee to disable the annoying sounds. Would save you from taking your hand off the wheel or gearshift to press the switch. Admittedly it would be cooler to figure out how to just disable it when you took the car out of reverse, but apparently that's asking too much of BMW.

Last edited by CantComplain; 02-01-2017 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 05:13 PM   #83
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantComplain View Post

Nope. The mod part has 2 or 3 extra pins.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #84
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I was thinking of adding a wire to my dash cam to start end "Parking Mode" from the version with the camera button.

Doesn't sound like it would be easy...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #85
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Quote:

Il do it tomorrow for you and video it if that will help?
Appreciate 2
M2wolf182.50
      02-03-2017, 06:38 PM   #86
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRob View Post

Good luck! -scr

Listen man, this thing is EASY ! Get 2 old credit cards and just pry up the shifter boot with 1 credit card. Then pry off the controller unit- stick one card in there, then slide the second card underneath so you have 2 plastic cards between the controller unit and the center console. Dont be afraid to apply force, it will pop off
      02-04-2017, 12:57 AM   #87
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiysersosae View Post
Il do it tomorrow for you and video it if that will help?
I'd appreciate that!
      02-04-2017, 04:15 PM   #88
MerlinPurple
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB

I tackled the removal of the drive mode switch today and took some pics to help others.

There's different ways to tackle it, here is what I did:

I removed the DCT cover using a card and non-scratch interior trim tools:

I mounted a card and trim tool in the location circled below:

like this...

The drive mode switch has an 'elbow' on either side. I used my trim tool to pry it upwards and unit popped out.

After this you'll need to unclip the connector on the drive switch panel - look for a tab on the connector, press it and pull the connector away from the panel.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 8